Computer games in these dark times
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:53:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Computer games in these dark times
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Computer games in these dark times  (Read 4713 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2020, 07:13:00 PM »
« edited: April 24, 2020, 07:33:33 PM by Santander »

XCOM Chimera Squad came out today and is on sale for the first week. Not sure if I'll buy it, though, as I just got out of the dog house at both home and work. (also, it's not available for Mac)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »

I would just like to take this opportunity to say that Minecraft is the most Libertarian game ever created. The destroyers of human creativity don't want you to play this game, because it presents you with the opportunity to live a purely free existence in a stateless society where you must provide for yourself. Rather than forcing you to live vicariously through the eyes of a stranger, as first-person shooters do, Minecraft encourages aspiring creators to physically mold the world around them to sustain their own life. This is the life-affirming philosophy of the Nietzschean Ubermensch: The man who lives his life to its utmost fullest potential, regretting nothing. The Minecraft player is the fully realized man-- master over all beasts, slayer of monsters, adventurer, entrepreneur, strongman, builder, farmer, creator of his own means of life. This man does not stand passively by to be railroaded into a "narrative" by the game's designers. His experience in the game is his own and is utterly unique. He tears coal from the womb of the earth, he lights the world with torches, and he creates a reality and a truth for himself that no one else could have provided for him. His goals are whatever he wants them to be, and his means of achieving them are his own two hands. Unchain yourself from the shackles of mental submission provided by conventional gameplay. Your mind is an infinite well of creation and Minecraft is its blank canvas. Use it! Utilize your innate human potential, and find your own truth in the way that only you can-- do not rely on the jingoistic authoritarianism of Call of Duty or Battlefront to provide your life with meaning, create it for yourself! Build a home! Brave the depths of fiery hell! Slaughter wild animals using the tools you crafted with your bare hands! Only then will you know what it truly means to be free. Yes, free-- in a richer, fuller sense of the word than the FPS fans of the world dare to dream of. These "gamers" are not your allies. They are not your friends. They are brainwashed authoritarians, leeching human life of all its meaning. To them, nothing is left up to you or your own free will. They believe that true meaning can only be found in the rigid confines of a story written by another-- finite, narrow, and fleeting. They believe that you ought to live endlessly through these "stories" until, like a creature confined to a small, damp cave for the duration of its miserable existence, you grow stunted, pale, and blind, with no imagination whatsoever. This is not your destiny unless you make it so. Wrest control of your life's trajectory back from these thieves of the soul! You are not a mindless automaton in another person's story, you have free will! You are man, and you can think and work with your hands! It is you who first learned the secrets of soil and harvest, you who bridged gulfs with stone and steel, you who caused aircraft and rockets and skyscrapers to lift from the ground! Use this power! Use the tremendous wealth of creativity that nature has imbued in you to shape your surroundings in your own image!

I will make company with creators, with harvesters, with Minecraft YouTubers: I will show them the rainbow and the stairway to the Superman-- the one that lives in all of us, yearning to break free.

Brah just play FNV and start a based libertarian technocracy with a 200 year old dude/computer.

Nah Fallout 4 is the real conservative sh**t, in FNV 3/4 of the factions want high taxes while in Fallout 4 there is literally no government + you can start your own self reliant settlements
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »

Disco Elysium was amazing. It's a modern take on old style CRPGs. You're a detective who's drank away his past and have to solve a murder mystery. You also get to decide your political philosophy and your own skills have arguments with each other
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »

I've been playing the always uplifting This War of Mine again lately.  Kind of boring, probably the saddest game I've ever played and it's pretty easy to "game" the game, but still addicting, at least for short bursts.  Just like Minecraft, which I've also started playing again.  The Feed the Beast mod.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2020, 03:05:13 PM »

Total War ftw, especially modded M2TW
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:47 PM »

Been searching for a satisfactory American Civil War strategy game for a while now, and have struggled with finding something detailed but not as complex as the AGEOD one (the micromanagement there makes it unplayable for my taste).

So I bought Victory and Glory: The American Civil War after reading an article a few days ago, and it's been quite an enjoyable experience thus far. Only a couple months old and will need some expansion and additional work (war tends to be over by 1863), but I'm finally able to roleplay a conflict I've always wanted to.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies