2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: New Jersey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:25:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: New Jersey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: New Jersey  (Read 32834 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: December 22, 2021, 12:11:24 PM »

Tie breaker Wallace's rationale for picking the Dem map? The Pub map was picked last time. That's it. Nothing more. Not sure why Wallace bothered to show up at the hearings. His mind was made up from day one. He gave the Dems his proxy vote.

On one level this is a total L O L, on another though it shows that the D Courts and Murphy were the indirect arbiters of the outcome - just like Christie was in 2011. The NJ system is horrible, but it is working as designed.

Since the NJ Supreme Court picked Wallace (biased, and apparently close to non compos mentis to boot), it shows that partisan courts are far too often packed with political hacks who don't give a damn about their oath of office to be impartial and not be partisan hacks. Impeach and convict and remove them all.

But Torie you told us in the NY and FL thread the courts weren't complete hacks lol
cvparty
United States

« Reply #426 on: December 22, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2021, 12:42:45 PM by cvparty »

Would be phenomenal if somebody could get their hands on a DRA link - curious to see how Menendez '18 performed on this map.

Malinowski can probably keep his loss to Kean respectable here. Kean will probably have to cut out a Fitzpatrick/Katko-type profile to survive here long-term. Gottheimer should probably hope that NJ progressives remain as incompetent and poorly organized as they are. Van Drew can still be threatened in a particularly poor year for Republicans and these lines probably continue to keep him willing to cross party lines on some things as he did with the infrastructure bill.

Overall a map that likely sheds Dems but requires the requisite Republicans to moderate in some way - not a bad result for the party.
Here ya go (town splits aren't exact but it's less than a 1% difference in population). I find it odd that they didn't go all the way in sacrificing Malinowski's seat but at the same time didn't help him with D turf in neighboring Coleman's district, which is the most Democratic non-VRA district in the state

Also, Van Drew is pretty much safe for the decade in NJ-02. South Jersey is trending GOP hard, and Ciattarelli won the district by over 20%
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #427 on: December 22, 2021, 12:29:35 PM »

Would be phenomenal if somebody could get their hands on a DRA link - curious to see how Menendez '18 performed on this map.

Malinowski can probably keep his loss to Kean respectable here. Kean will probably have to cut out a Fitzpatrick/Katko-type profile to survive here long-term. Gottheimer should probably hope that NJ progressives remain as incompetent and poorly organized as they are. Van Drew can still be threatened in a particularly poor year for Republicans and these lines probably continue to keep him willing to cross party lines on some things as he did with the infrastructure bill.

Overall a map that likely sheds Dems but requires the requisite Republicans to moderate in some way - not a bad result for the party.
Here ya go (town splits aren't exact but it's less than a 1% difference in population). I find it odd that they didn't go all the way in sacrificing Malinowski's seat but at the same time didn't help him with D turf in neighboring Coleman's district, which is the most Democratic non-VRA district in the state

Maybe Coleman is planning on retiring and Malinowski will run in the 12th.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #428 on: December 22, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »

Looks like the new 2nd is doubly discontinuous by roadways. Because the new 3rd is all of Burlington County and the southernmost crossing of Little Egg Harbor/Mullica River is the Garden State Parkway, and the northern end of that bridge is Bass River Twp., BurlCo, there's one. Another really small one exists at the northern end- There's a small part of residential Berkeley Twp. on the barrier island south of Seaside Park (4th) with the closest connection being Route 37 in Toms River.

I'm waiting on pins and needles to find out where Chris Smith moves his phony apartment unit to (since he otherwise lives full time with his family in Virginia).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #429 on: December 22, 2021, 12:33:58 PM »

Tie breaker Wallace's rationale for picking the Dem map? The Pub map was picked last time. That's it. Nothing more. Not sure why Wallace bothered to show up at the hearings. His mind was made up from day one. He gave the Dems his proxy vote.

On one level this is a total L O L, on another though it shows that the D Courts and Murphy were the indirect arbiters of the outcome - just like Christie was in 2011. The NJ system is horrible, but it is working as designed.

Since the NJ Supreme Court picked Wallace (biased, and apparently close to non compos mentis to boot), it shows that partisan courts are far too often packed with political hacks who don't give a damn about their oath of office to be impartial and not be partisan hacks. Impeach and convict and remove them all.

But Torie you told us in the NY and FL thread the courts weren't complete hacks lol

Keep hope alive! Notice however that it seems the party controlling the trifecta does seem constrained a bit in both NY and FL from acting on their most rapacious impulses, based on the law proscribing unduly favoring one party. And in NJ, since there are no legal standards other than federal ones, the hackness was about choice of personnel rather than blowing off the law or twisting it into a pretzel.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: December 22, 2021, 12:38:43 PM »

Apparently this is a 9-3 Murphy '21 map according to JMC, going from 6-6 previously.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »

Here is the Menendez map. He won NJ-03 and NJ-05 by 5 and 6 percentage points respectively.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »

Looks like Chris Smith might have to move to Ocean County.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »

Looks like Chris Smith might have to move to Ocean County.

Already has said he will
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #434 on: December 22, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »

Here is the Menendez map. He won NJ-03 and NJ-05 by 5 and 6 percentage points respectively.

How much did he win 11 by?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2021, 01:08:44 PM »

How much did he win 11 by?

8.4%
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2021, 01:52:05 PM »

Neither proposal was perfect but I think from most metrics the GOP map was far superior.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #437 on: December 22, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »

Neither proposal was perfect but I think from most metrics the GOP map was far superior.

Seems to be a common theme of the party out of power proposing the more fair map.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #438 on: December 22, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »

Yes, and if the GOP tiebreaker had been chosen instead of Wallace, they would likely have pushed their advantage much further rather than gone for a least-change compromise map like they submitted.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #439 on: December 22, 2021, 02:34:00 PM »

Hot take: I think there is a possibility one of Gottheimer or Kim lose in 2022, and that Mikie Sherrill's race is within 5 points. And I could very well see a double-digit win for Kean in 2022.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #440 on: December 22, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »

Hot take: I think there is a possibility one of Gottheimer or Kim lose in 2022, and that Mikie Sherrill's race is within 5 points. And I could very well see a double-digit win for Kean in 2022.

Even Phil Murphy won these districts.  I could see them being within five points, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll actually lose. 
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #441 on: December 22, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »

Even Phil Murphy won these districts.  I could see them being within five points, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll actually lose. 

I think Republicans will run credible candidates in all these districts and they'll come a lot closer than expected. But yeah I don't see them actually winning them.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #442 on: December 22, 2021, 03:25:20 PM »

I think Republicans will run credible candidates in all these districts and they'll come a lot closer than expected. But yeah I don't see them actually winning them.

Ciatterelli was a very credible candidate too...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #443 on: December 22, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »

Can Kean win in a district that contains Linden and Rahway? They are not Republican-friendly...

And Sherill gets another term because Maplewood and South Orange is added there...

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #444 on: December 22, 2021, 03:29:44 PM »

Ciatterelli was a very credible candidate too...

I never said they were going to win.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #445 on: December 22, 2021, 03:39:41 PM »

Can Kean win in a district that contains Linden and Rahway? They are not Republican-friendly...

And Sherill gets another term because Maplewood and South Orange is added there...

I think given Malinowski's weakness and the fact that it's a good GOP year in 2022, Kean will win. However in 2024 with a presidential election Kean could definitely be in some trouble.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #446 on: December 22, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »

I think given Malinowski's weakness and the fact that it's a good GOP year in 2022, Kean will win. However in 2024 with a presidential election Kean could definitely be in some trouble.

What if Malinowski runs in a different district or retires? Does that increase or decrease Kean's chances of winning?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #447 on: December 22, 2021, 03:47:01 PM »

What if Malinowski runs in a different district or retires? Does that increase or decrease Kean's chances of winning?

Net neutral in my opinion. Loses the incumbency name rec. That could be a net negative among the certain subsection of voters that will check the incumbents box and move on, for other voters it could be a net positive given that Malinowski has been making news for the wrong reasons recently.
compucomp

« Reply #448 on: December 22, 2021, 03:50:31 PM »

Actually, speaking of Jack Ciattarrelli, he should be living in the new NJ-7, maybe he'll consider challenging Kean with the publicity and attention (and credibility on the R side) he gained this fall?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #449 on: December 22, 2021, 03:53:24 PM »

Actually, speaking of Jack Ciattarrelli, he should be living in the new NJ-7, maybe he'll consider challenging Kean with the publicity and attention (and credibility on the R side) he gained this fall?

He already said he's running for Gov again in 4 years so I don't think so.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies