Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:48:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition  (Read 13412 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« on: January 21, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »

What are your preferred news sources for Japanese related news?

Do you torrent anime or simply stream it from various sites? Wondering, since I used to just stream from KissAnime but have begun torrenting in the past year or so due to the shutdown of that site.

Speaking of Jonathan Edwards, do you listen to sermons or homilies by contemporary ministers? From my very limited experience, it seems to me while Catholics and liberal Protestants often are excellent theologians in terms of books or academic lectures, it is confessional Evangelicals who tend to preach the most detailed and dense sermons due to differing traditions.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:55:56 PM »

Since Heyday Heisei has been over for a couple of years and we're now well into Rewatch Reiwa, most of the anime that I watch is older stuff that still has relatively easy-to-find DVD sets. Sometimes I even find something that's still on YouTube broken into five-to-ten minute chunks like in the real good old days. The arm of copyright law is long, but apparently not quite that long, yet.

What do you do for anime (such as LOGH) which are not available in the US on DVD or are simply older series where DVDs are out of print and highly expensive, if available at all? I'm guessing you've amassed a fairly large DVD collection over the years?

Read through the thread, so of my questions may be influenced by them:

-What is your assessment of Peronism in Argentina, both in its historic and contemporary forms? Certainly, the authoritarian and corrupt elements of Peron himself as well as other leaders of the movement can't be denied but at the same time their opponents were often even more authoritarian and brutal.

-Do you believe the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki were justified? Related to this, do you think the atomic bomb or Soviet entrance into the Pacific War was the primary cause of Japan's unconditional surrender?

-Why are you strongly opposed to joining AAD?

-Do you take an interest in alternate history as a genre? I find some of the published stuff has interesting ideas and/or good plots but the actually historical development in most of them tends to be implausible. As a result, I prefer online alternate history which often are extremely detailed in its depictions of different histories.

-I have a bit of a working theory that what I would call the "Peripheral West" (there probably should be a better term, given I don't think many of these countries besides the Latin American are really Western) in which I would include Latin America (especially the Southern Cone and Brazil), Turkey, and the developed parts of East Asia (especially Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan) are more "Western than the West" in its embrace of Western musical and literary traditions compared to Europe and North America. There are also certain other similarities such as the extreme popularity of TV melodramas (K-Dramas and telenovelas are world famous these days and apparently Turkish dramas are becoming increasingly popular too). Certainly it seems to me that Continental European writers such as Goethe, Andre Gide, and others are much better known in Seoul or Tokyo then in the United States. Related to this, do you think Japanese writers or artists often have an older view of Europe as their default, shaped heavily by history books, 19th Century novels, and midcentury movies? The popularity of vaguely late 19th/early 20th Century Western settings and aesthetic in cities, fashions, vehicles etc. in manga and anime seem to attest to this.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 12:47:21 AM »

Do you drink soda and if so what is your favourite variety?

Do you have an especial dislike for city or town in Massachusetts and New England more broadly?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:37:08 PM »

Given your takes on various First Republic Italian political parties, I'd love to see you do similar commentary on Japan's contemporary political parties.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies