Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:20:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask Nathan Anything: Quarantine Edition  (Read 13395 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: January 22, 2021, 11:41:36 AM »

Obligatory heathen questions: is there a pagan tradition that you most respect or simply find interesting from a historical or anthropological perspective? What is your view of the numerous controversial hypotheses connecting portions of Christian iconography and ritual to earlier pagan traditions (e.g. the infamous alleged Isis > Mary connection)?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »

I have a mixed opinion of British Traditional Wicca; lots of its seminal figures were incredibly clever and enterprising people (Doreen Valiente, for example, was obviously a far more talented liturgist than someone like Annibale Bugnini or other sad sacks who made the liturgical movement in Christianity such a mixed bag), but I dislike its dualism (especially since that dualism also enshrines heteronormativity in an incredibly central position in the religion) and the deeply right-wing political commitments of many of its founders (Ronald Hutton's The Triumph of the Moon, a history of Wicca and its antecedents that you really should read if you haven't already, describes Gerald Gardner making magic circles with books including Quintin Hogg's The Left Was Never Right). I don't know a ton about other Wiccan traditions, but one of my old classmates practices some sort of Dianic Wicca and it seems to have been really good for her so far.

It seems we agree almost completely regarding our perceptions of Wicca. Valiente was in my view very gifted (the Charge of the Goddess is probably the only text I personally consider sacred) and far more the brains of the operation than Gardner's general gentrified hippie nonsense, although there are a few black marks on her legacy as well (her brief involvement with the National Front, for one, although she came to her senses upon realizing how socially reactionary they really were). Zsuzsanna Budapest, the founder of the main current of Dianic Wicca, is an extremely vocal transphobic crank and general grifter, although if one can take the non-problematic parts of that tradition and enjoy them for what they are I can respect that. My own "tradition" is syncretic rather than strictly reconstructionist because I'm picky enough to find something that I dislike in just about everything and reluctant to commit to being part of a group, but I have much respect for those who genuinely put effort into reconstructionism rather than just trying to pass their ideas off as the Real Tradition That Survived The Burning Times (tm), and of course eclectics like me would have precious little to draw from without them.

Your take on my other question was spot-on as well. I admit to somewhat intentionally choosing that question as a bit of a landmine, and you answered as strongly as I'd expect from anyone.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies