How would things be going right now if the Senate had removed Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:37:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How would things be going right now if the Senate had removed Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would Pence have handled the crisis?
Better than Trump

Same as Trump

Worse than Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: How would things be going right now if the Senate had removed Trump?  (Read 2729 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »

How would Pence have handled the crisis?

It seems like he is getting along with Democratic governors better. On the other hand, even Trump probably would have handled Indiana's HIV crisis better than Pence did.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:29 PM »

It'd be much better if the Senate had removed Trump & Pence was in charge. I don't like Pence at all but he's clearly more competent & responsible than Trump (which is a low bar, of course, but still). At least he'd let the folks with medical backgrounds do their job without contradicting them on national TV as much as seemingly possible.

We would've had earlier modeling & preparation for every worst-case scenario like Azar wanted to do, a full assessment of healthcare needs & a plan to deal with shortages & capacity (& actual attempts to follow through on said plans instead of threats to withhold medical supplies from certain states just because their Governors were mean to the President), testing up & running sooner, etc.

In all honesty, a President Pence would be a dream right now compared to Trump.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 08:52:08 PM »

Mike Pence would just tell us to pray the Covid away.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »

Worse.

Think this through, Harry - but first get a paper towel and clean yourself up first. If Trump had been removed, the virus would still hit us with the same fury. If you accept the fact that Trump is to blame because he cut some people from the CDC out, then you accept that the virus's intensity and our response to it as being the natural conclusion.

So if Trump was impeached, we'd basically be where we're at now. Then, on top of the skepticism among the MAGA movement about the very aggressive response (shutting the country down, etc) would not only be about the virus, but also the "alleged" Deep State's role in it. Trust in public institutions would erode overnight, and half the country would lose all faith in the federal government.

In effect, if Trump had been impeached over all of that B.S. in the Ukraine, than the country would be where we are and even more divided, making a response like the one Trump is making now (which I'm sure you feel is inadequate) even less possible.

TL;DR: Trump being impeached before this would only slow the response
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 09:49:17 PM »

Mike Pence would just tell us to pray the Covid away.

Couldn't be any worse than Trump's response, but no reason to think it would be better.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:11 PM »

Pence is was a better Rep than he is Veep, he never settled into the job as Veep, and earns a net disapproval for Dems
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »

5 months later, I wonder if people think differently now. Would President Pence have us at more or less than 160,000 - 170,000 deaths?

I just don't see any way that any remotely competent executive, Pence or otherwise, would have a higher death count right now.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 12:17:31 AM »

If I were a Congressman, I would have immediately opened impeachment hearings on Pence and tried to install Pelosi as President, anyways...
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 07:11:40 AM »

If I were a Congressman, I would have immediately opened impeachment hearings on Pence and tried to install Pelosi as President, anyways...

This, of course, suggests that you have a view of impeachment that basically states that you can impeach and remove a President for whatever reason you wish to, and that a High Crime or Misdemeanor is anything the House and Senate wish it to be.

That approach is the pathway to being a Failed State.  Others have tried it.  The results aren't pretty.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »

Pointless.  There was always a very low chance of removing Trump, but the chance of removing Pence in this situation would be absolute zero.
woodley park

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 07:34:48 AM »

Pence would definitely have been better. I don’t think he would have been anti mask, and I don’t think he would have recklessly pushed to re open as early as Trump did.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 10:45:06 AM »

Pence would have done better simply because it's inconceivable that he'd do worse. He also would have some luck in getting people to believe that any problems he did have were due to the impeachment.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 11:08:12 AM »

Those saying it couldn't get any worse should remember we have a reference point with Pence: he's the only governor to have single-handedly started an in-state AIDS crisis.

I expect it would be just as bad but that Pence would present more "reasonably" and be less open about his stance on testing etc., so would see a much more sustained approval bump than Trump (although still not nearly as much as the kind seen in most other democracies). He would carry through more of that support to election day, too.

I wouldn't be half surprised if the (removed, Q-supporting) Trump were militantly pro-lockdown, sending Tweets into the night claiming that states remained open for the sake of the globalist paedophile trade.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 11:46:16 AM »

Those who say Pence would've done worse because of how he handled HIV as Governor of Indiana, ought to keep in mind that Pence wouldn't have thought that those suffering from coronavirus deserved it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »

While Pence did horribly with the AIDS crisis, it’s important to understand the context of his decisions. He was (is) a staunch social conservative to the point he shut down Planned Parenthood clinics and prohibited needle exchanges out of fears it encouraged drug users.

However, even he reversed his decision and strayed from his zeal when it got really bad.

As for Covid-19, there is far less stigma around patients than there ever was around patients with AIDS (Pence being a homophobe doesn’t help)

I bet Pence would definitely try to ramp up testing and encourage social distancing.
He would not shut down certain areas in time for the crisis to be managed due to wanting to keep the economy open. However, like in Indiana, he would likely reverse course when it looked like an emergency and declare a national shutdown.

I say we would resemble Britain in terms of the case curve by now (ofc we would have more cases because of population differences) But would be at high risk for an even worse second wave come fall.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 07:16:25 AM »

Pence was trailing in polls like Trump, but the Rs could have acquitted Trump and not renominated him, and instead nominated Pence and Haley for Prez, that would have been their ideal ticket, but they didnt and Trump is gonna get landslided
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »

While Pence did horribly with the AIDS crisis, it’s important to understand the context of his decisions. He was (is) a staunch social conservative to the point he shut down Planned Parenthood clinics and prohibited needle exchanges out of fears it encouraged drug users.

However, even he reversed his decision and strayed from his zeal when it got really bad.

As for Covid-19, there is far less stigma around patients than there ever was around patients with AIDS (Pence being a homophobe doesn’t help)

I bet Pence would definitely try to ramp up testing and encourage social distancing.
He would not shut down certain areas in time for the crisis to be managed due to wanting to keep the economy open. However, like in Indiana, he would likely reverse course when it looked like an emergency and declare a national shutdown.

I say we would resemble Britain in terms of the case curve by now (ofc we would have more cases because of population differences) But would be at high risk for an even worse second wave come fall.

A weird thing is that even with Britain's curve having flattened, they almost certainly have more deaths per capita than the US does. I wonder why that is-maybe it's just greater population density? In any case, the US with President Pence would do much better than Britain has done on a per capita basis.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

A weird thing is that even with Britain's curve having flattened, they almost certainly have more deaths per capita than the US does. I wonder why that is-maybe it's just greater population density? In any case, the US with President Pence would do much better than Britain has done on a per capita basis.

Our population is older and Westminster is incompetent and made many of the same mistakes w.r.t. care homes. The US had a mix of better and worse governors.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 08:03:53 PM »

Removing both Trump and Pence so that Pelosi can get all the blame would be the biggest self-own ever for the Democratic party.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 07:17:31 PM »

There is no universe in which Pence would handle the covid response worse than Trump.

He may not have handled it better by some large degree, but almost certainly it would've been handled to some degree better.

Trump is incompetent.  Pence would at least make some kind of effort.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies