My retirement from Fantasy Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  My retirement from Fantasy Politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: My retirement from Fantasy Politics  (Read 7359 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 02:28:46 AM »

While I understand John Ford's point of view, I must respectfully disagree with his evaluation of the "realness" of the fantasy elections held here.  It's not the notion that it's not "real" that I disagree with; it's the notion that this fact somehow matters.

I'm sure we all have things that we do as hobbies.  Myself, I play video games, draw pictures, and work on a novel that I'm writing purely for my own amusement.  None of these things are "real" per se.  I'm not actually accomplishing anything in the video games.  If I see a bad guy on the TV screen who falls over when I "shoot" him, that's not really what's happened.  It's just that an electric signal was fed from the controller in my hand to the machine, and interpreted as a message to make the 3D model of a gun commence going through its "firing" animation while the game outputs a sound of a gunshot, and, once the game has calculated that the path of the bullet intersects the model of the bad guy, the model of the bad guy commences going through its "falling down and dying" animation.

If I draw a picture of a soldier in armor running off to some battle, that's not actually happening.  It's just that the material rubbed off onto paper from the pencil's inner cylinder of graphite through motions of my hand and through contact with the paper happened to occur in a series of lines that one's brain interprets, when taken as a whole, to look like something that might occur in reality.

If I write a chapter in which a boy goes through a heavily traumatic experience, that too has not actually happened.  It's just that I visualize what might have happened in reality and describe exactly what an unseen viewer might see or take note of while observing this event.  I suppose one could even call this lying, as I write it in a very serious matter as if what I write is something that actually happened.

Yet no one would bat an eyelash at the fact that none of these are "real".  People go to movies, or examine paintings, or watch TV shows all the time.  It's simply natural for humans to need escape from lives that are - let's face it - horribly boring most of the time.  Even if your life is centered around something that is exciting, exhilirating, or what have you, you're not doing that 100% of the time, and the interlude between one session and the next is not filled with much of anything at all.  Hence, people turn to books, TV shows, movies - anything that can stimulate the mind and create positive feelings, or feelings of accomplishment, or intrigue and suspense, or what have you.

I don't think that the fantasy elections section of this forum is a whole lot different than any of these other ideas.  It's supposed to simply be a place where people gather, have fun, stimulate their mind through debate and campaigning, and what have you.  Of course it's not "real" - I don't think anyone here disagrees with that - but it still is a way to pass time and engage your mind.

I would even argue that the entire root of all of fantasy elections' problems stem from people trying to make it real, not from the fact that it's not real.  Real politics is a very scary place, where people lie or tell half-truths, where characters are slandered and defaced, where cronyism and corruption abounds in the stead of quality representation of the people, where reality is second to people's perception of reality, and where people who either are not total jerks or who do not have a gigantic ego are chewed up, put through a blender, and are lucky to escape with a shred of remaining principles or character.

In summary, I would say that the fact that fantasy politics isn't real is one of the least worrying factors in it - indeed, I might say that it's actually the most redeeming factor of all, one that people should pay very, very close attention to.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 02:32:13 AM »

Very well said Gabu. I wholeheartedly agree.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 02:34:16 AM »

Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 02:54:52 AM »

bwahaha.

this is why I leftt this board. you guys are a riot.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 03:27:42 AM »

Oh goodness.  I wish you wouldn't say those kinds of things; it's really insulting, and your accusations couldn't be further from the truth.

The more I think about the things you said about me, the more I really can't believe you, Ford.  I have to deal with enough unpleasant people in real life that I shouldn't have to put up with ____ like you on the Internet.

You aren't having fun, so you attempt to ruin this for everyone else too.  That's sick.

(The SoFA thread has a slightly more diplomatic response to your lies.)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 03:33:58 AM »

Oh goodness.  I wish you wouldn't say those kinds of things; it's really insulting, and your accusations couldn't be further from the truth.

The more I think about the things you said about me, the more I really can't believe you, Ford.  I have to deal with enough unpleasant people in real life that I shouldn't have to put up with ____ like you on the Internet.

You aren't having fun, so you attempt to ruin this for everyone else too.  That's sick.

Neat.  See, this answers Gabu's questions though.  This game is different from, say, video games, because video games hardly ever call me a liar.  That's why, unlike real life, the payoff isn't worth the bs.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2006, 03:40:01 AM »

Neat.  See, this answers Gabu's questions though.  This game is different from, say, video games, because video games hardly ever call me a liar.  That's why, unlike real life, the payoff isn't worth the bs.

Yeah, ok, and such games do not attempt to slander me, either.  Say what you want, but you're the one who is completely wrong here.

You will respond that whatever is said to you does not matter, since this is a game, but in that case you should just leave if you hate it so much.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2006, 03:42:20 AM »

I don't exactly think that this really disproves what I said.  Rather, it proves me right: that all of fantasy elections' problems stem from attempting to turn it into real politics instead of a game on the internet.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2006, 04:04:30 AM »

You may think this game is a stupid waste of time, but not as much as World of Warcraft! Cheesy
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 06:24:02 AM »

I am extremely saddened Sad by all of this. That's all I'll say for now but if John feels he's made the right decision then so be it but I'm saddened by it nevertheless

Dave
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2006, 07:28:17 AM »

This is similar to what happened to me, though the situation was a lot better back when I left fantasy politics. The key problem has always been that some people here just can't get into their heads that this is not real and do way too much to win. That fanatic lust for victories is what created the demand for more and more strict rules and rigid regulations of everything that eventually killed the fun. What you have to get is that there has to be a gentleman's atmosphere for this sort of thing if it is to be enjoyable.

I think you made the right decision John and I wish you luck with your real life.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2006, 08:01:03 AM »

True Dem gets to be president again, oh joy.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2006, 08:16:11 AM »

It's a great shame to see you go. Sad
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2006, 10:16:35 AM »

For the record, I'm the one who said this Fantasy Elections thing would never work out in the first place Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »

So anyway, what happens?  Does True Democrat become president if Ford wins?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »

I am also disgusted at the way Frodo was treated.  For one mistake, he has essentially been driven from the boards!  We are possibly electing the man behind Girl-Gone-Wild to the Senate at the same time that Frodo has been shanmed into staying out of the election so far entirely.  This treatment of a decent person is unconscionable, and I've no intention of being part of a group that does this anymore.

No one treated Frodo badly at all. When Peter posted the PM, more people got mad at Peter than got mad at Frodo. When Frodo resigned as chairman, everyone told him he didn't need to quit. More people likely blame the publishing of the PM than its author for Emsworth leaving the race. No one drove Frodo from the boards, he simply overreacted, and couldn't take his slandering of Emsworth being made public.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »

Well John... I can't say I'm suprised at this (as you know)... but... it's still sad that things have come to this (although I would have done the same if I were in your situation).

Frankly it may be time to put this thing down and start afresh...
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »

Somebody set up us the bomb Huh
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

Well John... I can't say I'm suprised at this (as you know)... but... it's still sad that things have come to this (although I would have done the same if I were in your situation).

I agree. The system has to be 'gutted.' It is too overcomplicated for those in the system never mind potential newbies. Government has to be streamlined (too many office holders in relation to voters in my opinion) and likewise with legislation.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2006, 12:07:39 PM »

I agree. The system has to be 'gutted.' It is too overcomplicated for those in the system never mind potential newbies. Government has to be streamlined (too many office holders in relation to voters in my opinion) and likewise with legislation.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When this ceased to be a fun election simulation and turned into a tedious government simulation, things plummeted dowhill. IMHO.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2006, 12:37:03 PM »

You will respond that whatever is said to you does not matter, since this is a game, but in that case you should just leave if you hate it so much.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

You may think this game is a stupid waste of time, but not as much as World of Warcraft! Cheesy

True dat.

Dear John Ford,

Go fuck yourself.  The martyr bullshit won't work.

Regards,

Boss Tweed

What martyr bullsh**t?  I'm leaving the boards because the suck now, and trying to show others the way out.
No one treated Frodo badly at all. When Peter posted the PM, more people got mad at Peter than got mad at Frodo. When Frodo resigned as chairman, everyone told him he didn't need to quit. More people likely blame the publishing of the PM than its author for Emsworth leaving the race. No one drove Frodo from the boards, he simply overreacted, and couldn't take his slandering of Emsworth being made public.

See this is what the  is wrong with this place.  Frodo basically is driven from the boards, yet someone has the gall to say he wasn't treated badly.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2006, 12:40:09 PM »

What martyr bullsh**t?  I'm leaving the boards because the suck now, and trying to show others the way out.

See this is what the  is wrong with this place.  Frodo basically is driven from the boards, yet someone has the gall to say he wasn't treated badly.

Read the CDP convention thread closely.  Everyone basically begged Frodo to stay on and criticized Peter Bell for posting the PM and the citizen for releasing the message, but few were mad at Frodo.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2006, 12:48:01 PM »

See this is what the  is wrong with this place.  Frodo basically is driven from the boards, yet someone has the gall to say he wasn't treated badly.

Read the CDP convention thread closely.  Everyone basically begged Frodo to stay on and criticized Peter Bell for posting the PM and the citizen for releasing the message, but few were mad at Frodo.

The CDP backed Frodo, duh.  But so what?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2006, 12:57:50 PM »

The CDP backed Frodo, duh.  But so what?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=36262.15

Basically 2 people, Bell and Ebowed, had a problem with the PM.

About 10 had a problem with a private message being posted.  Very few called for Frodo to resign.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2006, 04:33:39 PM »

Like my former Governor, I also have nothing to say--except that this thread is ridiculous, and the drama is unnecessary.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies