Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:19:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response  (Read 31405 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« on: March 26, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »

Best: China, ROC, Douth Korea, Singapore
Worst: USA, North Korea, Iran
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »

Also very brave of you to praise China for anything on this forum.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »

Also very brave of you to praise China for anything on this forum.
indeed, as it's an impossible position to defend.
China can’t be praised for literally anything?
This is peak China derangement syndrome.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:36:01 AM »

“China has had several outbreaks begin there!”
Yes, that tends to happen when you are a very densely/highly populated nation with a meat-eating culture. The illegal meat trade doesn’t help.

“China is responsible for hiding the pandemic!”
No, local officials in Hubei are responsible for hiding the pandemic. If the governer of Georgia hides something, that isn’t a reflection of the US national government, and the same logic applies to China.

“Western Countries wouldn’t have allowed this to happen!”
Dubious claim. Especially considering swine flu did come from the West. That being said, Swine Flu is obviously very different and can’t be compared to Covid-19. Still, I doubt the US would actually contain the virus if it started here. Heck, Trump would probably downplay it in the way people accuse China of doing.

“China is lying about their data!”
Yet another claim with no proof. While it is remotely possible that China has faked case numbers, that seems quite unlikely for several reasons. Firstly, WHO believes their numbers (No the WHO is not a Chinese puppet, the fact conspiracies like this are mainstream is appalling) China reopened their country after months of quarantine, The makeshift hospitals in Wuhan are closing, China took strong measures to fight the virus, and we haven’t seen any exported cases from China recently. The reason China beat the virus is because they aren’t afraid of self-absorbed civilians crying about any disruptions to their daily life. Unlike the American government, they can see the bigger picture and knew that heavy short term sacrifices were worth not having the virus.

“B-b-but SARS!”
America has a record of lying about things. Should we doubt their data?

“China bad, China bad, China bad!”
Okay, China bad, are you happy now?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:36:33 PM »

Updating my list:
Best: Singapore, China, Iceland, Vietnam
Worst: Brazil, North Korea, Iran, Turkmenistan
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »

Sweden seems to be a trainwreck, especially compared to Norway and Finland.
That’s what happens when you don’t enforce social distancing.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 08:12:17 PM »

Best: Australia, Germany, Iceland, Denmark, Singapore, New Zealand
Worst: Brazil, Ecuador, Mexico, USA, Iran, North Korea, Belarus
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »

Best:
South Korea
Australia
New Zealand
PRC
Taiwan (Watch Dead0/Greenline still call me a CCP bot)
Greece
Iceland
Austria
Vietnam
Thailand

Worst:
Brazil (finally a new champion!)
USA
North Korea
Belarus
Mexico
Russia
Iran
UK
Chile
Sweden

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 02:15:46 PM »

Worst: America. Is this even a question? I guarantee, this will be the last country where COVID is still a problem. Already, Canada and Mexico have closed their borders to us so that we don't infect them.
I guarantee that the US will NOT be the last country where Covid is still a problem.  There are still countries that occasionally get hit with the plague, polio and leprosy for s sake.
I don't blame them; we will never get this under control.
oh, I see, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about.
*Pakistan has entered the chat*
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »

Also, there is never going to be an answer because nobody can f**king agree on what makes a response “good” and what makes one “bad”.

If I had to pick some countries with the best responses, I would probably say Vietnam, Malaysia, New Zealand (way too overhyped imho) Latvia, both Chinas, and Georgia, but it is too early to make an accurate list.

Worst response probably goes to North Korea.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »

Worst response probably goes to North Korea.

Have they admitted its existence yet?
It’s North Korea, what do you think?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:06 PM »

Where does Peru fall in all of this proportionately?

Despite the lack of press about it, Peru has the 2nd worst COVID response anywhere on Earth based on the raw numbers (only behind tiny Luxembourg).

It could either be a "too much reporting" issue (kinda like how Belgium's numbers are sort of inflated) or they could genuinely have screwed up very badly.

I imagine it's something like "more honest reporting than the rest of Latin America", as practically the whole continent seems to have been hit in a much more brutal way than the numbers suggest.

As a general thing, quite a few of those middle-to-low-income countries that implemented really tough lockdowns basically before they were recording any cases (Peru stands out, as do India and South Africa) have wound up in pretty difficult situations, having realised the futility of even trying to lock people down in those sorts of economies.
Indeed, lockdowns only work in developed countries with a decent percentage of the workforce able to switch to a virtual mode. Even then, they only work when implemented at the right time, and in the context of other policies.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:37 PM »

Where does Peru fall in all of this proportionately?

Despite the lack of press about it, Peru has the 2nd worst COVID response anywhere on Earth based on the raw numbers (only behind tiny Luxembourg).

It could either be a "too much reporting" issue (kinda like how Belgium's numbers are sort of inflated) or they could genuinely have screwed up very badly.

I imagine it's something like "more honest reporting than the rest of Latin America", as practically the whole continent seems to have been hit in a much more brutal way than the numbers suggest.

As a general thing, quite a few of those middle-to-low-income countries that implemented really tough lockdowns basically before they were recording any cases (Peru stands out, as do India and South Africa) have wound up in pretty difficult situations, having realised the futility of even trying to lock people down in those sorts of economies.
Indeed, lockdowns only work in developed countries with a decent percentage of the workforce able to switch to a virtual mode. Even then, they only work when implemented at the right time, and in the context of other policies.
The exception would be some islands, I guess.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies