Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:30:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response  (Read 31407 times)
SInNYC

« on: March 30, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »

“China is responsible for hiding the pandemic!”
No, local officials in Hubei are responsible for hiding the pandemic. If the governer of Georgia hides something, that isn’t a reflection of the US national government, and the same logic applies to China.

I agree with the rest of your points but having governors hide something is intrinsic to the Chinese system. Beijing has a habit of shooting the messenger, leading to local leaders hiding everything from the most trivial to a pandemic.

US governors would behave that way if our system allowed for their replacement and/or prosecution if they were ever to report bad news. Imagine if Trump had the right to replace any governor/mayor who reported a shortage of ventilators and requested federal support.
SInNYC

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »

Modi's response definitely ranks among the bottom of countries. But it does seem popular for now. ...and perhaps even if more die of his actions than would have died from covid-19 (latest number I saw was that 29 died from COV-19 and 22 died probably due to the migration). It is truly shocking to see the Trumpification of the Indian electorate (half think its an intentional Chinese plot???).

Interestingly, his equally poorly thought out demonetization plan a few years back was generally panned, I believe because it mostly affected the middle class. Now that he has another hare-brained solution to another real problem, except affecting the migrant poor more, it is praised.
SInNYC

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 01:52:05 PM »

I dont like any stat based on death rate since it seems to be more about how young the population is than a country's response to the virus. If there are age adjusted death rates, that would be a great stat, but I havent seen any.

The number of total cases seems better, though its bad because of differences in testing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies