|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2020, 09:58:36 am
News: Don't miss the first US presidential debate at 9:00 pm EST!

Discussion thread link: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=400306.0

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: Gustaf, afleitch, Hash, Kalwejt)
  Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response  (Read 6339 times)
CumbrianLeftie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2020, 06:54:30 am »

Actually, per my methodology, Brazil only just barely cracks the top 10 (507% of world average in cases/1M, 59% of world average in deaths/1M) while the US are getting the bronze medal (500% in cases/1M, 224% in deaths/1M)

Well that is certainly telling for the US.
Samof94
Rookie
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2020, 06:46:14 am »

Where does Peru fall in all of this proportionately?
CumbrianLeftie
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2020, 07:08:55 am »

Not terribly well I think.
SInNYC

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2020, 01:52:05 pm »

I dont like any stat based on death rate since it seems to be more about how young the population is than a country's response to the virus. If there are age adjusted death rates, that would be a great stat, but I havent seen any.

The number of total cases seems better, though its bad because of differences in testing.
dead0man
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2020, 02:06:17 pm »

Worst: America. Is this even a question? I guarantee, this will be the last country where COVID is still a problem. Already, Canada and Mexico have closed their borders to us so that we don't infect them.
I guarantee that the US will NOT be the last country where Covid is still a problem.  There are still countries that occasionally get hit with the plague, polio and leprosy for s sake.
I don't blame them; we will never get this under control.
oh, I see, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Dr. Lurker
Forumlurker161

P P

« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2020, 02:15:46 pm »

Worst: America. Is this even a question? I guarantee, this will be the last country where COVID is still a problem. Already, Canada and Mexico have closed their borders to us so that we don't infect them.
I guarantee that the US will NOT be the last country where Covid is still a problem.  There are still countries that occasionally get hit with the plague, polio and leprosy for s sake.
I don't blame them; we will never get this under control.
oh, I see, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about.
*Pakistan has entered the chat*
Dr. Lurker
Forumlurker161

P P

« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2020, 02:18:33 pm »

Also, there is never going to be an answer because nobody can f**king agree on what makes a response “good” and what makes one “bad”.

If I had to pick some countries with the best responses, I would probably say Vietnam, Malaysia, New Zealand (way too overhyped imho) Latvia, both Chinas, and Georgia, but it is too early to make an accurate list.

Worst response probably goes to North Korea.
CumbrianLeftie
United Kingdom

« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2020, 04:35:48 pm »

Have they admitted its existence yet?
Dr. Lurker
Forumlurker161

P P

« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2020, 04:42:05 pm »

Have they admitted its existence yet?
It’s North Korea, what do you think?
Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln)
tack50
Atlas Politician
Concerned Citizen
Spain

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2020, 05:31:12 am »

Despite the lack of press about it, Peru has the 2nd worst COVID response anywhere on Earth based on the raw numbers (only behind tiny Luxembourg).

It could either be a "too much reporting" issue (kinda like how Belgium's numbers are sort of inflated) or they could genuinely have screwed up very badly.
Samof94
Rookie
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2020, 06:04:09 am »

Peru almost certainly is like Brazil but worst proportionately.
North Korea has shot people with covid to try to control it.
CumbrianLeftie
United Kingdom

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2020, 08:29:11 am »

Well there were rumours of a confirmed case a while ago, but this remains speculation.
parochial boy
parochial_boy

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2020, 10:37:47 am »

Despite the lack of press about it, Peru has the 2nd worst COVID response anywhere on Earth based on the raw numbers (only behind tiny Luxembourg).

It could either be a "too much reporting" issue (kinda like how Belgium's numbers are sort of inflated) or they could genuinely have screwed up very badly.

I imagine it's something like "more honest reporting than the rest of Latin America", as practically the whole continent seems to have been hit in a much more brutal way than the numbers suggest.

As a general thing, quite a few of those middle-to-low-income countries that implemented really tough lockdowns basically before they were recording any cases (Peru stands out, as do India and South Africa) have wound up in pretty difficult situations, having realised the futility of even trying to lock people down in those sorts of economies.
palandio

« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2020, 01:29:39 pm »

[snip]

I imagine it's something like "more honest reporting than the rest of Latin America", as practically the whole continent seems to have been hit in a much more brutal way than the numbers suggest.

[snip]
On the Financial Times website there are some graphics on excess mortality.

Peru is at ca. 40k excess deaths in the time period until July 8, which is higher than the ca. 16.5k official COVID deaths until July 8 and even higher than the ca. 30k official COVID-19 deaths until now.

Brazil is at ca. 55k excess deaths in the time period until June 19, which is higher than the ca. 49k official COVID-19 deaths until June 19, but not much.

Ecuador is at ca. 24k excess deaths until July 1, which is higher than the ca. 7k offical COVID-19 deaths until July 1 and even higher than the ca. 10.6k official COVID-19 deaths until now.

Chile is at ca. 9.4k excess deaths until July 8, higher than the 7.5 official deaths until July 8.

Sadly no data for Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, etc.
Dr. Lurker
Forumlurker161

P P

« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:06 pm »

As a general thing, quite a few of those middle-to-low-income countries that implemented really tough lockdowns basically before they were recording any cases (Peru stands out, as do India and South Africa) have wound up in pretty difficult situations, having realised the futility of even trying to lock people down in those sorts of economies.
Indeed, lockdowns only work in developed countries with a decent percentage of the workforce able to switch to a virtual mode. Even then, they only work when implemented at the right time, and in the context of other policies.
Dr. Lurker
Forumlurker161

P P

« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »

Indeed, lockdowns only work in developed countries with a decent percentage of the workforce able to switch to a virtual mode. Even then, they only work when implemented at the right time, and in the context of other policies.
The exception would be some islands, I guess.
CumbrianLeftie
United Kingdom

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2020, 08:39:29 am »

Given yet more chaos and confusion from our government since last night, they are likely carrying on their slow climb up the "worst" list.
jaichind
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2020, 07:07:39 am »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/world-economy-seen-withstanding-virus-103940341.html#:~:text=The%20world%20economy%20will%20shrink,in%20activity%20since%20lockdowns%20ended.

World Economy Seen Withstanding Virus Better Than Forecast

Advanced economies and East Asia getting better while other emerging economies getting worse. 
 USA doing better than most advanced economies.  Very similar to the charts I have produced and how they have trended.  South Africa is a surprise.  OECD is a lot negative than most other financial firm estimates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies