Updates to forum (ongoing) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:05:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Updates to forum (ongoing) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Updates to forum (ongoing)  (Read 30907 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 25, 2020, 11:02:19 AM »

Rather than "Atlas ,,," it might be better to use "Forum ..." for the exalted titles.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:31 PM »

I'm pleasantly surprised we haven't yet had a Blaxican avatar submitted or requested.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 12:24:24 AM »

I thought about making a new shade of the previous icon, but to be honest, I just hated that. It wasn't clear what it even meant unless you read the legend at the bottom of the forum index page, and the basic style wasn't intuitive at all. Ideally, that kind of thing shouldn't need a legend. You should understand just by looking at it.

These are actually more informative than before in that there is a new icon that describes exactly what is "new." Before, it would be green if there were new posts on the main board or a sub-board, and dark gray if there was no new posts at all.

Now, it shows a faded pair of blank paper for no new posts, a regular, non-faded pair of papers for "new posts on sub board but NOT main board," and a regular pair of papers with scribbling (for text) to indicate new posts on the main board.

In which case, you failed to achieve the bolded point, tho to be honest, I don't think any iconography could convey that without reference to a legend. Sometimes icons are not the best way of conveying information.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »

Virginia, do you still plan on having mock elections for the general?
Yes, the situation being what it is, we could all use a good laugh.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 02:15:09 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

LEET = 1337
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »

How would Virginia (and others) feel about removing the friend list feature? I do accept and occasionally send out friend requests as something of a hat-tipping gesture, but in reality they're probably the most useless feature on the forum.

I wouldn't mind it if it were gone, but since some like it, I'd rather just have a way to let people automagically know I don't accept friend requests.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »

I don't know how much of a load they impose, but it has to be something.

Perhaps on expected periods of high traffic, signatures and avatars could be dropped?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »

Frankly all of the city avatars so far have been stupid and largely unrecognizable.

What I think would be the most useful addition to the current forum would be the addition of a button to the editor for embedding youtube videos like the one embedding tweets.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 03:50:03 PM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

Frankly all of the city avatars so far have been stupid and largely unrecognizable.

What I think would be the most useful addition to the current forum would be the addition of a button to the editor for embedding youtube videos like the one embedding tweets.

There is a button, but it's only on the advanced editor. The old editor is more or less a deprecated feature and is only still around to give people a choice.
I see that now, but I also see the new editor is still finicky about list (and presumably table) formatting.

The new editor is apparently no longer producing errors when editing/quoting posts when the formatting codes don't match its expectations of how they should be pretty printed, but it's still annoyingly insisting on its standard that adds extra newlines, even when you edit in source code mode.

That said, unless it would be a complicated change, there appears to be plenty of room to add the YouTube and Instagram buttons of the new editor to the old editor.

Also, I didn't see a button for the [tt] tag in the new editor, tho I suppose [font=monospace] would also work. I don't use the [tt] tag that often, so it doesn't matter to me.  If you do anything with fonts, a shortcut for [font=cursive] is what I personally would most appreciate, or even better having a way to include all the base CSS fonts of cursive, monospace, serif, and sans-serif easily. (Does anyone even bother with fantasy these days?)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »

What we have is usable, tho I expect I'll stick with the old editor for now.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 11:45:03 PM »

For the record, I would argue that Chicago and NYC are easily recognizable shapes, at least to most people on this site.

NYC is marginally recognizable thanks to Manhattan, but Chicago isn't really that distinctive a shape.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies