Updates to forum (ongoing)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:05:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Updates to forum (ongoing)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Updates to forum (ongoing)  (Read 31051 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2020, 01:50:55 PM »

To complete the Balkans, here's Albania:

Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »

Thanks Alex / Lourdes / Koopa - uploaded new avatars

Alex - I uploaded Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and the others you did except Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia, because they are too big. I'd like to keep it less than or equal to 100px in width. Need to go back at some point and try to shrink some of the other ones as well. I tried setting a max width for the avatar image, which works, but it causes the big avatars to become a little less defined / blurry due to less-than-ideal rendering for the smaller image.

reagente - I'll upload Chad tomorrow

(just catching up on old submissions - not doing new ones)

Bosnia and Serbia v2.0

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2020, 02:15:12 AM »

Made a number of performance-related changes to the forum. Hopefully it will improve forum load times for those brief instances where it seems to seize up for various reasons.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »

I’m having issues where my posts aren’t going through even if I complete a post. Sometimes I have to do it twice.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »

I’m having issues where my posts aren’t going through even if I complete a post. Sometimes I have to do it twice.

Not really following. Exactly what happens before/after clicking Post?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2020, 12:43:05 PM »

Not really following. Exactly what happens before/after clicking Post?
It doesn’t load properly and takes me to a blank slate. The title, thread, and post are not written with what was there beforehand.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2020, 02:49:21 PM »

It doesn’t load properly and takes me to a blank slate. The title, thread, and post are not written with what was there beforehand.

Not sure. I would just try and save drafts regularly if you're writing something big.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #182 on: April 28, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »

Made a number of performance-related changes to the forum. Hopefully it will improve forum load times for those brief instances where it seems to seize up for various reasons.

Do you think it will survive election day in the US?

thumbs up for all your great work!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: April 28, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »

Hopefully! It may be possible to get at least some of the hardware upgraded by then, and the number of optimizations I've made to the software even since the 2018 election is pretty significant.

If I recall correctly, we were in pretty good shape for election night in 2018, so I think we ought to be fine.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »

Hopefully! It may be possible to get at least some of the hardware upgraded by then, and the number of optimizations I've made to the software even since the 2018 election is pretty significant.

If I recall correctly, we were in pretty good shape for election night in 2018, so I think we ought to be fine.
If I remember correctly 2018 was the first time in Atlas history where the forum did not crash correct? It certainly ran slower than usual, but there was no proper crash I believe?

(of course I wasn't here for any election befor 2018; nor for any election results in 2018 beyond like 9 or 10 est)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »

If I remember correctly 2018 was the first time in Atlas history where the forum did not crash correct? It certainly ran slower than usual, but there was no proper crash I believe?

(of course I wasn't here for any election befor 2018; nor for any election results in 2018 beyond like 9 or 10 est)

Midterm elections tend to be less active than presidential elections, both for the entire season as well as election night. 2018 was kind of unique in how much interest there was, though. I think we actually got more posts on 2018 election day than 2016's election day. But OVERALL, 2016 was just much more active on a day-to-day basis in the 30 day run-up to the final day. We had over 800 users online at the same time that night, compared to something like 570 in 2018. That is really what kills the server's performance - hundreds of users browsing at the same time, refreshing the same high-post threads, particularly registered users.

Usually the forum switches to registered members only during that time, but Dave and I have made a lot of improvements since 2016, so I'm not sure it will needed this time. I'm actually looking into a couple more changes that might solve some longstanding performance issues. It's possible we could upgrade the server hardware before election day.

Also, just to note, as usual we'll likely go into reduced functionality on election day so as to keep the forum operating smoothly. That would mean no Search functionality, since it was one of the top reasons the forum used to slow to a crawl during an election. I created an "election night mode" setting in the last major update for this reason - it'll disable a ton of things that most people don't use or care about, and will hopefully keep things running decently enough. I don't think we even ended up using it in 2018, but I'm definitely going to enable it this year.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2020, 06:16:41 PM »

On the main website, I do like the addition of these file icons for the boards.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »

On the main website, I do like the addition of these file icons for the boards.

I really don't, but that could just be my general aversion to change. I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »

I thought about making a new shade of the previous icon, but to be honest, I just hated that. It wasn't clear what it even meant unless you read the legend at the bottom of the forum index page, and the basic style wasn't intuitive at all. Ideally, that kind of thing shouldn't need a legend. You should understand just by looking at it.

These are actually more informative than before in that there is a new icon that describes exactly what is "new." Before, it would be green if there were new posts on the main board or a sub-board, and dark gray if there was no new posts at all.

Now, it shows a faded pair of blank paper for no new posts, a regular, non-faded pair of papers for "new posts on sub board but NOT main board," and a regular pair of papers with scribbling (for text) to indicate new posts on the main board.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2020, 12:24:24 AM »

I thought about making a new shade of the previous icon, but to be honest, I just hated that. It wasn't clear what it even meant unless you read the legend at the bottom of the forum index page, and the basic style wasn't intuitive at all. Ideally, that kind of thing shouldn't need a legend. You should understand just by looking at it.

These are actually more informative than before in that there is a new icon that describes exactly what is "new." Before, it would be green if there were new posts on the main board or a sub-board, and dark gray if there was no new posts at all.

Now, it shows a faded pair of blank paper for no new posts, a regular, non-faded pair of papers for "new posts on sub board but NOT main board," and a regular pair of papers with scribbling (for text) to indicate new posts on the main board.

In which case, you failed to achieve the bolded point, tho to be honest, I don't think any iconography could convey that without reference to a legend. Sometimes icons are not the best way of conveying information.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:29 AM »

This looke better and more "modern" than before. Good work!
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »

I don't like the new paper icon for telling whether there are new posts. The darkened and lightened papers look too similar, so it's not very easy to tell what's new and the whole purpose is kind of defeated. In my view, the lit-up diamond icons were a lot more clear.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2020, 08:59:56 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2020, 09:03:13 PM by Virginiá »

Well, just to clarify, there are 3 different images, and only one of them means no new posts at all - the faded one. The other two mean new posts, but which icon is shown depends on whether the new posts are on the main board or a child board.

I think TF is right, and that adding a 3rd icon probably makes it more confusing, but only because it's telling you more than the previous green/gray icon did. To make it simpler, just think of it like this: The faded icon of blank paper ( ) = no new posts at all, anything else means the main board or at least a sub-board has new posts since you last viewed it.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2020, 03:25:36 AM »

*raises hand in the classroom sheepishly*

Will there ever be a way to see a ranking of posts by number of recommendations?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »

Will there ever be a way to see a ranking of posts by number of recommendations?

per thread or forum-wide?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2020, 05:12:01 PM »

Pro-tip: you can find the most-recommended (and highest quality) posts on the forum here.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »

please no

the recommend button needs to be removed, not expanded upon.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2020, 02:57:19 AM »

per thread or forum-wide?

both I guess
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2020, 01:48:03 AM »

Virginia, do you still plan on having mock elections for the general?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »

Virginia, do you still plan on having mock elections for the general?
Yes, the situation being what it is, we could all use a good laugh.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies