COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 08:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149455 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »

roxas11
United States

« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »

I dont think he is telflon at all

I said it before and I will say it again
any positive Bump trump is getting right now will ultimately be pointless in the long run since things will be getting far worse in the coming weeks

We are about to head into some tough economic times and Trump knows it
that is why he is trying very hard to reopen everything by Easter because he knows that once the upcoming recession starts to really take hold things are going to get very ugly for him

Plus if anything reopening the government wont actually prevent the recession from happening  
at best it may shorten it a little but all it will really do is just make the US death toll a lot worse

Trump's so called telflon is about to be put to the test and we will see if can maintain that high support he is getting right now once he and the american people are potentially looking at 20 percent unemployment a month or 2 from now.....

You're mistaken if you think Trump knows what his doing, the guy is clueless to the s***storm thats about to hit, if he wanted to get himself reelected the best thing to do would be to be honest with the public about the tough times ahead not lie about everything and present an overly rosy view of the situation. It's the same short term thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

You misunderstood what I was saying

I never stated that Trump knows what he is doing
I said that Trump knows full well where this economy is heading and He knows that things are about to get bad which is why he is desperately trying to find any way he can to reopen everything in the US  

now having said that I agree with you
If trump was smart He would have just be honest with the american people and then prepare them for the recession they are about to face instead of living in a fantasy land where things are going to magically get better 15 days from now lol
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2020, 10:42:00 AM »

Waffle House closing 365 locations, the most in its history

For those who don't know Waffle House, this is a big deal.  The chain stays open 24/7, even through extreme circumstances to the maximum extent possible.  FEMA actually uses an informal "Waffle House Index" to measure the impact of a disaster on a local community.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »

Waffle House closing 365 locations, the most in its history

For those who don't know Waffle House, this is a big deal.  The chain stays open 24/7, even through extreme circumstances to the maximum extent possible.  FEMA actually uses an informal "Waffle House Index" to measure the impact of a disaster on a local community.

Shoot. That's a real thing. Might be the most American thing I've heard all month.

If you get there and the Waffle House is closed? That's really bad...
    — Craig Fugate, Former Head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »

No many the quantity of threads, this is still an overblown reaction. Glad Trump is waking up to the economic consequences.

First post in and of course it's this guy and his "hot takes"

Guess I'll be avoiding these COVID-19 megathreads for good now
Just out him on Ignore.

Don't let trumpanzees ruin Atlas for you.

My ignore button has been broken for months. All it does it take me to the first page of the thread

That’s what usually happens when you put somebody on ignore.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »

Virginia, can you make your username "Communist Propaganderino" please please?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »

He got that tiki-torch haircut.
rob in cal
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »

Missed Gov Coumo's briefing.  What was the new number of patients in icu care.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »

They have 3,000 ICU bed capacity and are modeling 40,000.

New York City is about to go through a very tough time.

rob in cal
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »

Thats very intresting, and somewhat hopeful about the slowdown in rate of new hospitalizations. Probably to early to tell if its just a blip or not.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2020, 11:29:37 AM »

That gap on trust in the national media is... something.
That’s insane. I mean it’s one thing if you like Trump’s style or his politics, but COME ON. Everybody knows that he lies every time he opens his mouth and even when he doesn’t, he just don’t know what he’s talking about. 90% of republicans trust him for corona virus. These people are beyond hope.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »

honestly the more details I read about this so called stimulus bill
the more disappointing and terrible it sounds

1. NO rent freeze
2. NO student debt forgiveness
3. ONE time payment
4. $1200 per person but If you're unemployed, on SSI, or SSD, it's $0
5. NO money until May
6. Money will be taxed
7. You must make under $75,000 based off your 2018 tax report

they spent 2 trillion dollars yet It looks like very little of it are are going to the people who needed it the most.

It sound like a joke and I do not for 1 second think this going to really do much to boost the economy at all nor will this chump change convince anyone that it ok to go out and spend money again lol. All this really tells me is that at this point the recession is coming and the government is doing very little to soften the blow to your average american. This is a terrible bill and the american people deserve so much better than this  
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2020, 11:34:27 AM »

Wait, the checks don't arrive until May?  Where is that in the bill?

What's the point of sending out checks to help people who don't have money, if the checks won't arrive for another six weeks at the earliest?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2020, 11:40:16 AM »

Student debt forgiveness makes very little sense, but the rest of it is awful. It really needs to be monthly, but they must think we are reopening for Easter....
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »

1. NO rent freeze
3. ONE time payment
5. NO money until May
6. Money will be taxed

they spent 2 trillion dollars yet It looks like very little of it are are going to the people who needed it the most.

It sound like a joke and I do not for 1 second think this going to really do much to boost the economy at all nor will this chump change convince anyone that it ok to go out and spend money again lol. All this really tells me is that at this point the recession is coming and the government is doing very little to soften the blow to your average american. This is a terrible bill and the american people deserve so much better than this  
Republicans have a heroin-level addiction to f__king over poor people and giving rich people more money that they don't need at the taxpayer's expense. They HAVE to do it or they go crazy. How many non-rich peole end up dead or in poverty doesn't factor in. They have tunnel vision.  They're more obsessed with wealth distribution than communists.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »

Student debt forgiveness makes very little sense, but the rest of it is awful. It really needs to be monthly, but they must think we are reopening for Easter....
They think the American people are going to let get away with this con job of a bill. And you know what Sprouts? They're right. They WILL get away with it.  This is America.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »

A group of young adults held a coronavirus party in Kentucky to defy orders to socially distance. Now one of them has coronavirus.

At least one person in Kentucky is infected after taking part at a "coronavirus party" with a group of young adults, Gov. Andy Beshear said Tuesday.
The partygoers intentionally got together "thinking they were invincible" and purposely defying state guidance to practice social distancing, Bashear said.
"This is one that makes me mad," the governor said. "We have to be much better than that."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/kentucky-coronavirus-party-infection/index.html

This is insane.
By doing this, they not only jeopardize themselves, but their own family members and friends (not to mention the rest of their community).

Calling this a “coronavirus party” seems misleading, in that it obviously invokes “chicken pox parties” in which one infected kid deliberately infected other kids so they would all gain immunity in a controlled environment.  We’ve also seen “measles parties” pop up among anti-vaxxers.  Some people have suggested this might be a possibility for coronavirus, but it doesn’t sound like that was the goal here at all.

I considered the analogy to be to hurricane parties not chicken pox parties.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »

1. NO rent freeze
3. ONE time payment
5. NO money until May
6. Money will be taxed

The bill sucks and is mostly a corporate welfare bailout. The unemployment insurance should be done in a separate bill because New York and California alone are going to need a lot of money.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »

Why did the Senate move first on this and not the House?  Usually the House is much more efficient, and their bill seems much better.  So what caused them to give up the momentum?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »

roxas11
United States

« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

Why did the Senate move first on this and not the House?  Usually the House is much more efficient, and their bill seems much better.  So what caused them to give up the momentum?

I have no idea

The Dems should have never let the the GOP take the lead on this
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2020, 12:22:22 PM by GP270watch »

Student debt forgiveness makes very little sense, but the rest of it is awful.

Right now the The Fed is buying completely worthless corporate debt and has commited to buying up to 4.5 trillion. Why can't they buy the student loan debt and refinance it at near zero for student loan borrowers when that amount is less than 2 trillion? At the very least why can't they do that? Before we even get into debt forgiveness, this would offer tremendous relief.

The average student loan interest rate for all borrowing household holding student loan debt is 5.8%, that is highway robbery when the United States government is lending everybody else money near zero.

This bill is an insult, I hope House Democrats blow it up.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »

1. NO rent freeze
3. ONE time payment
5. NO money until May
6. Money will be taxed

1) is not really feasible or realistic
2) is not relevant, plus a new forbearance policy is already in place
3) is true, but they have already talked about passing another bill in a month to six weeks if the national emergency remains in place
4) Unemployment benefits are almost being increased quite a bit in the bill
5) is unconfirmed speculation
6) helps keep the cost down and the timing matters more anyway; moving money forward in time was always the goal, but doing so isn't costless. Put another way, citizens are getting interest-free loans for which they only have to pay a bit back whereas firms will have to pay their loans back in their entirety
7) Or $150k if you're married, and only completely phases out above $100k for individuals and $175k for married couples. I have no issue not directly giving away money to the upper middle class who will already benefit disproportionately from other provisions in the bill.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies