Which counties would you like to see subdivided or redrawn?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:19:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which counties would you like to see subdivided or redrawn?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Which counties would you like to see subdivided or redrawn?  (Read 9464 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »

A few that spring to mind for me:

1) There's no good reason why the Antelope Valley should be in Los Angeles County. I'd split Kern County at the southern end of the Central Valley, merge the remainder into a new county with the LA County portion of the Antelope Valley that ends east of Lake Los Angeles out to the NV border. Another county would contain the remainder of San Bernardino County outside the Inland Empire. I'd split off the Inland Empire portions of SBC and Riverside to form one county, and leave Palm Springs and the remainder of Riverside County as a separate county.

2) Similarly, I'd strong consider dividing the San Fernando Valley and points north from the Los Angeles Basin (cutting over the Santa Monica Mountains and then north of Pasadena)

I generally agree, but I'd make a few amendments. I'd keep the SFV in LA County, send the Santa Clarita Valley and Agoura Hills over to Ventura County, and create a new county with Southeast Kern, the Antelope Valley, and the Victor Valley. I would also shift LA County east of San Dimas over to the Inland Empire, merge the Palm Springs area into Imperial County, and clean up the LA-OC border. This would allow LA to become a consolidated city-county and generally rearrange county lines along topographic borders. This would leave Southern California with:

City of Los Angeles
Population: 9,090,600
Area: 1,694 square miles
County Seat: Los Angeles

San Jacinto County
Population: 3,827,500
Area: 3,435 square miles
County Seat: Riverside

San Diego County
Population: 3,343,300
Area: 3,732 square miles
County Seat: San Diego

Orange County
Population: 3,185,900
Area: 815 square miles
County Seat: Santa Ana

Ventura County
Population: 1,233,800
Area: 2,640 square miles
County Seat: Ventura

Mojave County
Population: 998,900
Area: 22,933 square miles
County Seat: Victorville

Kern County
Population: 816,200
Area: 5,877 square miles
County Seat: Bakersfield

Coachella County
Population: 695,200
Area: 10,209 square miles
County Seat: Indio

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 09:32:39 PM »

The north part of Herkimer County, NY should be part of Hamilton.

Split up Northumberland County, PA with the northern part combined with Montour and the southern part combined with Snyder.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »

Middlesex County, Mass. (where I live) is ridiculous. It has a huge urban population in the southeast, a completely different large city in the north (Lowell), rural areas in the northwest, and a suburban bulge in the southwest.

• I would split off the northern parts of both Middlesex and Worcester County to make a new county based on Rt. 2 and including Lowell and Fitchburg.
  • Give Marlborough, Hudson, and Hopkinton to Worcester County.
  • Give Framingham and Natick to Norfolk County. They don't belong with Middlesex, but they're too Boston-oriented to give to Worcester.

This makes Worcester County and Middlesex County more cohesive and recognizes that Lowell is different from Cambridge.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »

I also think Georgia has way too many counties. I would redraw it from 159 counties down to 64 plus the independent City of Atlanta (everything ITP). It would look like this:
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »

Los Angeles County is way too big, both in square miles and in population. Subdivide it into three parts or so.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »

The great plains rural counties with a 1000 people each should be merged until they're large enough that they can provide public services.
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 05:15:58 PM »

Middlesex County, Mass. (where I live) is ridiculous. It has a huge urban population in the southeast, a completely different large city in the north (Lowell), rural areas in the northwest, and a suburban bulge in the southwest.

• I would split off the northern parts of both Middlesex and Worcester County to make a new county based on Rt. 2 and including Lowell and Fitchburg.
  • Give Marlborough, Hudson, and Hopkinton to Worcester County.
  • Give Framingham and Natick to Norfolk County. They don't belong with Middlesex, but they're too Boston-oriented to give to Worcester.

This makes Worcester County and Middlesex County more cohesive and recognizes that Lowell is different from Cambridge.

Ooh where in Middlesex are you? Im also in Middlesex, in Lexington. Personally, since counties don't actually have any real power, I think the structure is fine as is, as towns and cities are far more important in terms of boundaries.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 04:30:35 PM »

1) There's no good reason why the Antelope Valley should be in Los Angeles County. I'd split Kern County at the southern end of the Central Valley, merge the remainder into a new county with the LA County portion of the Antelope Valley that ends east of Lake Los Angeles out to the NV border. Another county would contain the remainder of San Bernardino County outside the Inland Empire. I'd split off the Inland Empire portions of SBC and Riverside to form one county, and leave Palm Springs and the remainder of Riverside County as a separate county.

2) Similarly, I'd strong consider dividing the San Fernando Valley and points north from the Los Angeles Basin (cutting over the Santa Monica Mountains and then north of Pasadena)

I generally agree, but I'd make a few amendments. I'd keep the SFV in LA County, send the Santa Clarita Valley and Agoura Hills over to Ventura County, and create a new county with Southeast Kern, the Antelope Valley, and the Victor Valley. I would also shift LA County east of San Dimas over to the Inland Empire, merge the Palm Springs area into Imperial County, and clean up the LA-OC border. This would allow LA to become a consolidated city-county and generally rearrange county lines along topographic borders. This would leave Southern California with:

City of Los Angeles

San Jacinto County

San Diego County

Orange County

Ventura County

Mojave County

Kern County

Coachella County

I like your idea for Coachella county. I had my first visit to the Salton Sea in Jan. I went north from Escondido towards Hemet, then east to Palm Springs and south to the Salton Sea. I returned going west from Westmoreland. The borders of Imperial made little sense given the topography and population. Moving them both west and north would be a much better match.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »

I also think Georgia has way too many counties. I would redraw it from 159 counties down to 64 plus the independent City of Atlanta (everything ITP). It would look like this:

Hey, what did you use to make this map? Missouri needs the same treatment.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 03:07:04 PM »

Hey, what did you use to make this map? Missouri needs the same treatment.

https://davesredistricting.org/
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 06:53:05 PM »

City of Los Angeles

San Jacinto County

San Diego County

Orange County

Ventura County

Mojave County

Kern County

Coachella County

Speaking of mapping tools which one is this?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 06:54:57 PM »

City of Los Angeles

San Jacinto County

San Diego County

Orange County

Ventura County

Mojave County

Kern County

Coachella County

Speaking of mapping tools which one is this?

Google MyMaps.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 08:10:20 PM »

Here's my Missouri map. 114 counties and 1 independent city -> 64 counties and 6 independent cities.

The 6 independent cities are Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, Columbia, Independence, and Jefferson City. The top 5 largest + the capital.

Note that the city limits for Kansas City and Springfield aren't perfect, as the precincts don't match up exactly. They're pretty close, though. The limits I've drawn for Columbia and Jefferson City on here are entirely outside their current boundaries, so they don't share that problem, and St. Louis was of course an independent city already.

Generally, I tried to arrange the new counties based on connections between areas and topography. It's not 100% perfect - probably a professional demographer could do it much better - but I think it would at least be functional.

Would be interesting to try to create a county map where all counties are safe R (probably very easy) or where as many as possible are as D as possible (much more difficult).
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »

Here's my Missouri map. 114 counties and 1 independent city -> 64 counties and 6 independent cities.

The 6 independent cities are Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, Columbia, Independence, and Jefferson City. The top 5 largest + the capital.

Note that the city limits for Kansas City and Springfield aren't perfect, as the precincts don't match up exactly. They're pretty close, though. The limits I've drawn for Columbia and Jefferson City on here are entirely outside their current boundaries, so they don't share that problem, and St. Louis was of course an independent city already.

Generally, I tried to arrange the new counties based on connections between areas and topography. It's not 100% perfect - probably a professional demographer could do it much better - but I think it would at least be functional.

Would be interesting to try to create a county map where all counties are safe R (probably very easy) or where as many as possible are as D as possible (much more difficult).

what the f is that KC
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2020, 10:01:00 PM »

*image snipped so the post isn't massive*

what the f is that KC

Yep, that's what Kansas City's city limits look like. It spans four counties, so it's kind of a Broomfield situation. A separation is long overdue, especially since a lot of statistics treat it as separate anyway (for example, COVID-19 statistics are reported separately for the Kansas City and non-Kansas City portions of Platte County).

Unfortunately, there are by my count 14 municipalities that are mostly or completely surrounded by Kansas City, and they all have very strong local identities and would absolutely refuse to merge. However, that leads to a situation that is really no more complicated than the current one, so it really doesn't seem to be a problem.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »

San Bernadino, certainly. What a big clunky mess.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »

what the f is that KC

Yep, that's what Kansas City's city limits look like. It spans four counties, so it's kind of a Broomfield situation. A separation is long overdue, especially since a lot of statistics treat it as separate anyway (for example, COVID-19 statistics are reported separately for the Kansas City and non-Kansas City portions of Platte County).

Unfortunately, there are by my count 14 municipalities that are mostly or completely surrounded by Kansas City, and they all have very strong local identities and would absolutely refuse to merge. However, that leads to a situation that is really no more complicated than the current one, so it really doesn't seem to be a problem.

But if you get to redraw the map, why not just fix the borders?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »

what the f is that KC

But if you get to redraw the map, why not just fix the borders?
yeah, something like this is a perfect chance to fix the borders indeed!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 07:29:20 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2020, 07:33:24 PM by lfromnj »

San Juan Utah, the Mormons and the Navajo basically hate each other at the local level.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2020, 01:56:33 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_County,_Georgia
Recreate Milton County
walleye26

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2020, 10:39:54 PM »

St Louis, MN. It’s way too huge, and the southern part with Duluth and it’s suburbs are much different than the Boundary Waters way up north.
Oconto/Marinette, WI need to be redrawn in a way that doesn’t include so many 90 degree angles. I also agree with merging Pepin, WI into Buffalo County.
I would also merge Marquette and Green Lake County into one, as they are basically the same-small, rural farm counties with decent sized Amish populations and large lakes with the Fox River going between them.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »

I think there's probably a pretty good argument for merging Wayne, Warren and Oakland counties in Michigan. It's quite striking that it wasn't until about 15 years ago that the Detroit metro (as opposed to Detroit itself) started to shrink and it's hard to avoid the conclusion that many of Detroit's problems are because 8 Mile Road meant the financial consequences of white flight were much worse than they'd have been if they stayed in the same county.

Possibly the solution would be something more like NYC or European metropolitan areas, where you have an overall city leadership and you then subdivide it into boroughs which have their own political leadership for more local priorities.

There's also a decent argument for altering the boundaries everywhere a city is in two or more counties and potentially for reshaping the map entirely and basing it around commuting patterns.

There is no Warren County in MI. Macomb?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »

I would favor Cook County being just the city of Chicago (maybe clean up the borders a bit...) and the remaining suburbs being absorbed into the Collar Counties.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2020, 12:03:44 PM »

I would favor Cook County being just the city of Chicago (maybe clean up the borders a bit...) and the remaining suburbs being absorbed into the Collar Counties.

I'd be in favor of creating three new counties for the north, west, and south.

Our you could just consolidate the county and city. Tongue
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »

Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside are monstrosities that should be split.

King county in WA could benefit from a split too.

Also, the world doesn't need that many counties in Georgia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies