MS-SEN 2026: Sen. Mike Espy vs. Gov. Tate Reeves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:44:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  MS-SEN 2026: Sen. Mike Espy vs. Gov. Tate Reeves
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins this matchup?
Sen. Mike Espy (D-Miss.)

Gov. Tate Reeves (R-Miss.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: MS-SEN 2026: Sen. Mike Espy vs. Gov. Tate Reeves  (Read 1346 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:53:21 PM »

Mississippi Sen. Mike Espy, a black Southern Democrat who defeated reviled Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith in one of the biggest upsets in American history, faces a tough reelection battle against Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves, a Republican.

Who wins?
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »

MS is slowly becoming blacker, and suburban trends will probably begin to hit Mississippi then. Espy is the kind of guy who can turn out black voters, and Reeves has proven that he is not a great governor. I'd peg this at Lean R.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:22 AM »

Democratic midterm: Lean Reeves, closer to Likely.
Republican midterm: Tossup, tilt Espy.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 01:54:00 AM »

Espy winning in 2020 would undoubtedly involve him taking the Doug Jones route of better performance among typically Republican moderates (probably with the help of a scandal above and beyond Hyde-Smith's previous comments) in addition to juicing AA turnout to heretofore unseen heights, since Mississippi’s racial polarisation almost certainly rules out Espy winning back white ancestral Democrats. It is quite likely that Biden wins nationally in this scenario and pushes Espy over the finish line by helping him with AA turnout. Does Mississippi suburbanise enough between 2020 and 2026 to make up for the drop in AA and Democratic turnout that will inevitably happen in a midterm year, particularly if it’s a Democratic midterm and/or Biden is no longer President? I doubt it.
Furthermore, as with Doug Jones facing Sessions/Tuberville rather than Roy Moore, Reeves (while still a fairly mediocre candidate) would be far, far less toxic than whatever iteration of Hyde-Smith managed to lose Mississippi in a presidential year with the Dog-Whistler-in-Chief leading the Republican ticket. Absent the scandal, and with a midterm electorate that is presumably only marginally more elastic in 2026 than it is now, I think Espy loses regardless of which party occupies the White House – by 2–3 points in an R midterm instead of double digits in a D midterm, but losing nonetheless.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »

Espy can win in 2026 if he doesn't align himself with the national Democratic Party brand.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:38 PM »

Espy, if Mississippians have any decency left in them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 01:07:06 AM »

Espy isn't winning in 2020...but in 2027, I could see Democrats picking up a downballot office or two if Trump is really unpopular. They might even win the Governor's race. But they won't pick up the Senate seat, no matter who the nominee is, any time this decade.

For the sake of argument, I'll say.

Tate Reeves (R) 55%
Mike Espy(D) 44%

An African American politician with less baggage than Espy might be able to get up to 48% or 49%, and might be able to keep Reeves from winning with a majority, but they won't win the race outright.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 07:15:00 PM »

Espy isn't winning in 2020...but in 2027, I could see Democrats picking up a downballot office or two if Trump is really unpopular. They might even win the Governor's race. But they won't pick up the Senate seat, no matter who the nominee is, any time this decade.

For the sake of argument, I'll say.

Tate Reeves (R) 55%
Mike Espy(D) 44%

An African American politician with less baggage than Espy might be able to get up to 48% or 49%, and might be able to keep Reeves from winning with a majority, but they won't win the race outright.
I agree. I don’t have the Democrats winning any Senate seat in Mississippi until 2038 or 2042 and the governorship until 2039 or 2043. The margins of victory for the Republicans probably will start decreasing sometime in the early 2030s however. 
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 07:59:41 PM »

Reeves by maybe 5 points or so.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 09:06:44 AM »

This would never happen has Espy will not in 2020. But if this for some reason did happen, it would largely depend on the state of the country and who the President is 2026. If it is a Democratic President, like either Biden's VP or a Dem succeeding Trump, Reeves (R) would win by by a convincing margin. If this is in a Democratic Wave, Espy maybe could win but Reeves would still be favored to win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies