Utah Senate 2006: Ken Jennings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:24:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Utah Senate 2006: Ken Jennings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah Senate 2006: Ken Jennings  (Read 790 times)
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:36:58 PM »

Reportedly, Reid and Schumer tried to get Jeopardy! GOAT Ken Jennings to run against Orrin Hatch in 2006. Could he have made things interesting?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:58:47 PM »

I hate to say this as a massive Jeopardy! fan because Ken Jennings is literally my deity, but considering Hatch won reelection by over 30 points in real life, I don't see how a Democrat whose sole claim to notoriety was winning millions on Jeopardy! is gonna close that margin of victory.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:53 AM »

I hate to say this as a massive Jeopardy! fan because Ken Jennings is literally my deity, but considering Hatch won reelection by over 30 points in real life, I don't see how a Democrat whose sole claim to notoriety was winning millions on Jeopardy! is gonna close that margin of victory.
538Electoral

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »

Yeah no.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 03:25:42 AM »

Well, Jennings would be able to self-fund (to some extent), and I'm reasonably confident he would be able to fundraise.

That said, it would be very difficult to beat Hatch, even in a D wave.

Also, didn't Jennings live in Washington by 2006?

Orrin Hatch (R) 59%
Ken Jennings (D) 39%

Come on, the only reason Ken won the greatest of all time tournament was because he kept beating James Holzhauer to the daily doubles.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »

Well, Jennings would be able to self-fund (to some extent), and I'm reasonably confident he would be able to fundraise.

Orrin Hatch (R) 59%
Ken Jennings (D) 39%

Come on, the only reason Ken won the greatest of all time tournament was because he kept beating James Holzhauer to the daily doubles.

Actually he ultimately won because James blew the Final Jeopardy — surprising since James almost never lost the Final Jeopardy while Ken was weaker at them. Also James’s strategy was all about having a fast trigger finger and hitting those daily doubles before anyone else could, then betting big. That was not Ken’s strategy before, but he adjusted brilliantly. Let’s face it, Ken beat him at his own game.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »

Orrin Hatch (R) 59%
Ken Jennings (D) 39%

Actually he ultimately won because James blew the Final Jeopardy — surprising since James almost never lost the Final Jeopardy while Ken was weaker at them. Also James’s strategy was all about having a fast trigger finger and hitting those daily doubles before anyone else could, then betting big. That was not Ken’s strategy before, but he adjusted brilliantly. Let’s face it, Ken beat him at his own game.

This. Ken adapting to James' strategy was not only absolutely scary, but it meant that James lost any advantage he had going into the tourney, which made it all come down to who found the Daily Doubles (which always comes down to luck).
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 04:03:10 PM »

to be fair he'd have high name rec but that wouldn't help much. He'd get a respectable result for a Utah D, aka low 40s
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies