Rubio doing "a Buttigieg/Klobuchar"...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:05:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Rubio doing "a Buttigieg/Klobuchar"...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rubio doing "a Buttigieg/Klobuchar"...  (Read 4378 times)
El Betico
Rookie
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »

...dropping out just after Super Tuesday and immediately endorsing Ted Cruz, campaigning with him...story changes?( Yes, I know Pete and Amy did that even before ST, but I don't see the possibility of Rubio pulling out earlier in 2016, maybe after SC if he hadn't even passed 10% in New Hampshire?).
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »

Republican establishment didn't really want Cruz anymore than Trump so this scenario is unlikely
chibul
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:43 AM »

I think the best scenario is Ted Cruz dropping out and endorsing Rubio.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:44:57 AM »

This definitely helps Cruz. He might win contests like Kentucky and Louisiana, and almost certainly win Missouri this way (and doing better in MO's winner take most setup would sway a decent number of delegates his way). However, Trump still easily wins FL's winner take all.

There wasn't enough Rubio support to swing any other state in contention in the two weeks he kept running, other than MAYBE North Carolina, which was proportional anyway so Cruz didn't stand much to gain.

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't really tip the balance that much. Cruz winning KY, LA, and MO (definitely all possible in this world) makes his map look better on paper, but swings maybe 30 delegates total out of the Trump camp. It doesn't even begin to deflate Trump's momentum when he's winning big states like FL and IL. I think we end up at the same place in the end.

Oh, and Kasich wins DC instead of Rubio. That should be obvious. So Kasich would be on the map in two places.

Overall, the slightly narrower delegate count might've led Cruz and Kasich to continue contesting the race at least somewhat later. Even IRL Cruz probably could've won Nebraska if he had still been contesting the nomination at that point. Trump could be held down to the point where he was reliant on uncommitted delegates to put him over the top at the convention. (Not the same thing as a brokered convention necessarily, but the GOP had a number of uncommitted delegates, mostly from Pennsylvania, that Trump would have to have won over)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »

Possibly more interesting proposal: Kasich drops out after SC/NV and endorses Rubio. That gets Rubio over the threshold in a lot of states he missed it and probably helps Rubio win VA. Kasich voters were the most doggedly committed anti-Trump voters and very few of Kasich's ~10% of Republicans go to Trump.

OTOH, Trump probably wins winner take all Ohio in this world, but overall this three way Trump/Cruz/Rubio makes the race a lot closer.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »

Kasich voters were the most doggedly committed anti-Trump voters and very few of Kasich's ~10% of Republicans go to Trump.

While that was true in the latter half of the race, it was less so earlier on. Kasich and Trump actually had a fair bit of overlap in the early states as both appealed to moderate voters. I myself was a Kasich/Trump supporter; if Kasich had dropped out early on, I would have supported Trump in the primaries.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 05:43:23 AM »

I think a version of this idea was considered where a Cruz/Rubio unity ticket would be announced before March 15 and like how Rubio recommended his supporters vote Kasich in Ohio he could recommend his supporters vote Cruz in the other 4 states voting that day. Trump irl won 4/5 only losing Ohio, with this he probably loses Missouri and North Carolina but I doubt he loses Illinois and Florida. So that could prevent him running away with a delegate lead, but maybe it was already too late.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »

Kasich voters were the most doggedly committed anti-Trump voters and very few of Kasich's ~10% of Republicans go to Trump.

While that was true in the latter half of the race, it was less so earlier on. Kasich and Trump actually had a fair bit of overlap in the early states as both appealed to moderate voters. I myself was a Kasich/Trump supporter; if Kasich had dropped out early on, I would have supported Trump in the primaries.

Kasich and Trump were the two candidates I preferred in 2016 as well.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »

Man, how I would prefer Ted Cruz over Donald Trump.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 08:36:49 AM by Laki »

I can't see how Cruz / Rubio end up being better than Trump

Kasich and Trump were the two candidates I preferred in 2016 as well.

I liked Kasich, and preferred him over Trump during the primary. In fact, I hoped Trump would collapse, but I ended up preferring him over Hillary, mainly because i was attracted to the new and unique style of campaigning, him being different than the super religious lunatics and because of my strong dislike of the Clintons, and the Dems rigging the primaries.

I was quite hostile towards Trump until the convention. i became neutral after the convention. I remember being extremely angry after Hillary picking Kaine with no concessions to the Sanders campaign, and after wikileaks leaked something that proved the primaries were rigged (although you have to be blind not to have seen it). And after the Hollywood Access Tape Video which was locker room talk, i became convinced of Trump. I was sick of hearing how bad Trump was and the Dems never talking about issues. It was an election based on personality, and I would and still would vote Trump. I became pityful of him. Hillary was simply unlikeable. I remember being ecstatic during election night, not because he had won, but because the media's worst nightmare became reality.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 08:25:50 AM »

I can't see how Cruz / Rubio end up being better than Trump

Both would have at least some sense of self respect and ability to empathize with others.  Not a lot, but when compared to Trump almost anyone would possess those two qualities more than he does.

Legislatively, they would be more willing to work with Congress.  Both would have more sensible responses to the pandemic that quite probably would result in less lives being lost.  Make no mistake, a portion of the lives lost thus far are directly the result of Trump's mismanagement.

It's unlikely neither would inspire a literal cult of hatred and racism, nor would either openly incite violence and even encourage death to detractors as Trump has done.

The massive corruption seen during Trump's tenure is large, rare at such levels, and almost unheard of, so it's unlikely neither Cruz nor Rubio's potential corruptions as president would have risen so high.

Neither would seek out illegal aid from foreign countries to meddle in our elections.  Neither would have been impeached for such a treacherous act.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 08:54:31 AM »

Both would have at least some sense of self respect and ability to empathize with others.  Not a lot, but when compared to Trump almost anyone would possess those two qualities more than he does.
I doubt it

Legislatively, they would be more willing to work with Congress.  Both would have more sensible responses to the pandemic that quite probably would result in less lives being lost.  Make no mistake, a portion of the lives lost thus far are directly the result of Trump's mismanagement.
Cruz willing to work with congress??? He was responsible for a government shutdown. I doubt Cruz and Rubio would've turned out to be better on handling COVID-19. I also think you exaggerate Trump's mismanagement

It's unlikely neither would inspire a literal cult of hatred and racism, nor would either openly incite violence and even encourage death to detractors as Trump has done.
That's true, especially for Rubio.

The massive corruption seen during Trump's tenure is large, rare at such levels, and almost unheard of, so it's unlikely neither Cruz nor Rubio's potential corruptions as president would have risen so high.
True, but corruption was always present. Obama pardonned Wall Street bankers after the crisis. Harris pardonned Mnuchin, so she isn't better. But corruption levels are high. They don't hide it. I'm a nihilist and believe almost every government is corrupt. There are few people i can trust like Sanders and Ojeda

Neither would seek out illegal aid from foreign countries to meddle in our elections.  Neither would have been impeached for such a treacherous act.
If you're talking about Russia, that's proven to be fake.
Ukraine is true, but it showed that Biden has his own issues / scandals. It did backfire however on the Trump administration.

Trump has been bad, no doubt about it, but a competent Rubio / Cruz would have caused more damage. What annoys me about Trump is that his message is so hateful that it will have a long term impact on the population.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »

Man, how I would prefer Ted Cruz over Donald Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies