2020 Census and redistricting: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:21:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and redistricting: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and redistricting: California  (Read 2717 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 04:24:36 PM »

"this map" was created based on southern California and is merely a presentation. I suspect a more realistic map would take a top-down approach starting the Bay, and end up with an LA-OC district and an OC-IE district before going down to San Diego.
Do you think the possible OC-IE district is more likely to be Porter/Calvert, Cisneros/Calvert, or Levin/Calvert?

Hard to say. I think Calvert is DOA regardless, but I think the Eastern foothills will be the split portion of the county. I think CA retains 53 districts.
Eastern foothills, who would that merge Calvert’s district with?

Most probably Cusneros, as I said. Although I think the commission is likely to keep most current districts intact and only focusing on population shifts.
Last round, in 2012, many districts were completely changed. Lowenthal’s was brand new, made from a merger of Laura Richardson’s and Ed Royce’s. California tends to completely change the LA metro districts around, while leaving the rest of the state fairly intact. The numbers are also usually rearranged. What might a map that’s mostly intact, except LA metro look like?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 04:26:27 PM »

"this map" was created based on southern California and is merely a presentation. I suspect a more realistic map would take a top-down approach starting the Bay, and end up with an LA-OC district and an OC-IE district before going down to San Diego.
Do you think the possible OC-IE district is more likely to be Porter/Calvert, Cisneros/Calvert, or Levin/Calvert?

Hard to say. I think Calvert is DOA regardless, but I think the Eastern foothills will be the split portion of the county. I think CA retains 53 districts.

Most probably Cusneros, as I said. Although I think the commission is likely to keep most current districts intact and only focusing on population shifts.
Last round, in 2012, many districts were completely changed. Lowenthal’s was brand new, made from a merger of Laura Richardson’s and Ed Royce’s. California tends to completely change the LA metro districts around, while leaving the rest of the state fairly intact. The numbers are also usually rearranged. What might a map that’s mostly intact, except LA metro look like?

We've only had one historical instance of districts by commission. I think the new commission will largely leave things intact.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »

We've only had one historical instance of districts by commission. I think the new commission will largely leave things intact.
Why was the first round done by commission a complete overhaul? Why wouldn’t it be next time?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »

Why was the first round done by commission a complete overhaul? Why wouldn’t it be next time?

What do you mean
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 05:40:44 PM by ERM64man »

Before redistricting, Gary Miller represented both Hacienda Heights and Mission Viejo! That is odd. The commission completely redrew the LA metro from scratch. What might a new LA metro map from scratch look like fo 2022?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies