2020 California Ballot Propositions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:11:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 California Ballot Propositions Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 2020 California Ballot Propositions Megathread  (Read 6791 times)
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2020, 11:12:25 PM »

Odd results compared to other polls.

On a separate note I saw the most dishonest add on proposition 16. It equated being against affirmative action to being a white supremacist. Most disgraceful proposition add I've even seen.

This one?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NiPdd-bfNc

Most people in my community I've seen active against Prop 16 have been older Asian people. Rather different demographics than Unite The Right.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »

On a separate note I saw the most dishonest add on proposition 16. It equated being against affirmative action to being a white supremacist. Most disgraceful proposition add I've even seen.

Most people in my community I've seen active against Prop 16 have been older Asian people. Rather different demographics than Unite The Right.

Well I might as well embrace my future.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 11:52:05 PM »

Yes and it's telling how they disabled the youtube comments
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2020, 02:53:05 AM »

Good ad. Can't wait for Prop 16 to pass with huge numbers!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2020, 08:04:25 AM »

Every campaign disables the youtube comments and even if they didn't they aren't going to answer the questions.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2020, 08:06:05 AM »

Every campaign disables the youtube comments.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2020, 03:05:32 PM »

Haven't seen one Prop 16 ad at all. I still sometimes forget it's on the ballot.

On the flipside, I seem to see a Yes on 22 ad on every commercial break.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2020, 01:18:55 PM »

Haven't seen one Prop 16 ad at all. I still sometimes forget it's on the ballot.

That and the no on 23 dialysis lady
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2020, 10:01:53 PM »

That and the no on 23 dialysis lady
In Congressman Garcia's campaign office, every other ad is the no on 23 dialysis lady. Every. Single. Other. Ad. On. Damn. TV.

How much money do those guys have?

I have no clue. I’m only voting against it because I’m tired of it being on the ballot.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2020, 03:30:51 AM »

Affirmative action is the ultimate epitomie of neoliberal professional managerial class politics. It strengthens the advantages of the PMC in college admissions (by opposing standardized tests for instance in favour of less objective measures such as extracurriculars or "personality") while providing for cosmetic cosmopolitanism by admitting the elites of various ethnicities despite doing little in terms of levelling based on income. Poor and even lower middle-class whites and Asians are shafted by such a system. It also represents a politics of austerity by encouraging identitarian competition for a limited number of university seats rather than expanding the number of said seats or increasing access to vocational education.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2020, 03:34:24 AM »

Affirmative action is the ultimate epitomie of neoliberal professional managerial class politics. It strengthens the advantages of the PMC in college admissions (by opposing standardized tests for instance in favour of less objective measures such as extracurriculars or "personality") while providing for cosmetic cosmopolitanism by admitting the elites of various ethnicities despite doing little in terms of levelling based on income. Poor and even lower middle-class whites and Asians are shafted by such a system. It also represents a politics of austerity by encouraging identitarian competition for a limited number of university seats rather than expanding the number of said seats or increasing access to vocational education.

Thing is that's exactly the reason why California will (probably) vote for Prop 16. That mindset is basically personified by the Bay Area.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »

Seeing a lot more Prop 23 ads lately, Yes & No sides.

And this is still the most discussion/activity/debate I've seen regarding Prop 16.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »

Does Prop 16 look poised to pass?  Any polls on it?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »

Mayor Garcetti withdraws endorsement of Jackie Lacey and endorses George Gascon for DA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwQpVeZxM0
Not a big fan of Garcetti at the moment but this is huge!
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »

Supervisor & potential mayoral candidate Mark Ridley-Thomas also endorsed Gascon.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/10/05/mark-ridley-thomas-endorses-george-gascon-da-race/

I think both officials know which way the wind is blowing and I'm all here for it!
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »

Yes on Prop. 24 have released an internal for said proposition from Goodwin Simon Strategies Research:

https://curated.tncontentexchange.com/states/california/prop-24-the-california-privacy-rights-act-receives-support-from-77-of-likely-california-voters/article_e50364e5-79a7-5746-8229-c2067305b95f.html

September 29 - October 5
750 likely voters
Changes with July 26-31

Yes 77% (-4)
No 11% (n/c)
Unsure 12% (+4)
warandwar
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2020, 07:06:33 AM »

Learn your history. Back in the 70s, the coalitions against Bakke were primarily supported by a multiracial working class. Today's "PMC" are the benefits of the ROLLBACK of Affirmative Action - how else would their mediocre asses have gotten into school if not for institutional racism? (I mostly kid, but the opposition came from the professional suburbs, home of the New Right).
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2020, 12:44:26 PM »

Learn your history. Back in the 70s, the coalitions against Bakke were primarily supported by a multiracial working class. Today's "PMC" are the benefits of the ROLLBACK of Affirmative Action - how else would their mediocre asses have gotten into school if not for institutional racism? (I mostly kid, but the opposition came from the professional suburbs, home of the New Right).

I find it interesting that the Asians who hypothetically have the most to lose from affirmative action (younger, less educated, and poor-to-lower-middle-class) are more supportive of these referenda. The Asian American opposition to affirmative action is mostly just from adult immigrants and professional class suburbanites.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/affirmative-action-debate-ignores-asian-american-community-college-students-n1242201

"At the end of the day, UCs are only going to admit so many freshmen," said Eloy Oakley, chancellor of California Community Colleges. "While they're important, there's only so much to change." Should Proposition 16 pass, he said, "the real change is going to happen in community colleges."

Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2020, 09:32:20 PM by Bootes Void »

Generally hot button socially liberal issues like affirmative action poll worse in the run up to election day. This reminds of me of when most polls had California approving SSM narrowly but ended up rejecting it in 2008
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »

There's other props on the ballot besides 16, you know? I've seen more in CA about the dialysis & senior property tax props than I have 16.

Anyway, I voted 2 days ago. Yes on everything except 19, 20, 22 & 24. The latter I practically flipped a coin over
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2020, 01:13:26 AM »

I choose to draw attention to this rather trivial piece of data not because everything passed or because of the landslides for certain issues, but rather because there are several issues that were closer. The closer the issue, the more likely the individuals surveyed have opinions on the surveyed question or know enough to actually dissent and not simply check a box. In that regard it's interesting that rent control is the closest issue, since the usual coalition on that issue is younger voters recently on the job market and low income minorities verses established interests and homeowners.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2020, 11:40:15 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2020, 12:07:57 PM by StateBoiler »

Proposition 23 is beyond stupid that is on a public referendum.

14, 20, 22, 23, 24, and 25 should all be within the confines of state legislature decision-making power.

Honestly, how can Proposition 22 even be considered constitutional? You have probably an app/delivery-based super PAC heavily funding their own carveout labor exemption into state law. It should be applied to everyone with a similar status to be "good law" as opposed to just who financed the referendum.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2020, 06:06:28 PM »

While it is interesting to look at the polls I will note that ballot proposition ones can be wrong more often than not.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »

Proposition 14-YES.
Proposition 15-YES. This is one of the two biggest issues on the ballot (along with 22) and I strongly endorse a YES vote in order to reverse the pernicious effects of Prop 13 which prevents property from being assessed at current market value. It will help raises billions in new revenue for schools and local governments.
Proposition 16-NO. I'm not categorically opposed to affirmative action but reviving explicit race-based affirmative action in the current climate will do more harm than good especially when factors like being a first-generation college students or being a HS student from a deprived area are already taken into consideration in college admissions and the like.
Proposition 17-YES.
Proposition 18-YES.
Proposition 19-Lean YES. I'm not a fan of measure because I don't think the assessment transfer rule should be expanded and many newspapers are critical of it bc it entrenches Proposition 13 rules on this. However, I'm more sympathetic to seniors being able to transfer their assessment than for rich heirs not to have to pay new taxes on property they don't live in, plus the measure's main opponents are anti-tax types like Howard Jarvis so my vote is a lean  YES.
Proposition 20-NO.
Proposition 21-NO. While I'm sympathetic to rent control, I think the aims of affordable housing are better serves by relaxing zoning laws, densification, housing subsidies, and expanded public housing.
Proposition 22-NO. This bill is a blatant scheme by companies such as Uber and Lyft to avoid having to pay benefits and unemployment insurance to their drivers while preventing efforts at organizing such workers by labour unions. It entrenches the pernicious gig worker economy of neoliberal capitalism. Along with 15, this is one of the two most important measures on the ballot and I strongly recommend a NO vote.
Proposition 23-Lean YES.
Proposition 24-Lean NO. A lot of opponents are arguing that this law was backed by social media companies and might result in them demanding consumers pay to avoid having their data collected. Further feedback here would be appreciated.
Proposition 25-YES.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »

I was surprised when I visited the liberal north coast last weekend how many No on 15 and 19 signs I saw accompanied by Biden/Harris signs. There's also quite a few No on 16 signs that I've seen around the Bay Area.

Also PPIC just came out with some new polls but just on 15 and 16. https://www.ppic.org/wp-content/uploads/ppic-statewide-survey-californians-and-their-government-october-2020.pdf

Prop 15
Yes 49%
No 45%

Prop 16
Yes 37%
No 50%

16 is trailing in all the regional areas according to the crosstabs so I'm surprised it's not losing by more
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies