An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 09:29:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 41366 times)
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 28, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »

Mario Cuomo '92!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #626 on: September 29, 2020, 02:03:31 PM »

Wikimedia Commons

The 1992 Campaign I

As the Republican primary took shape. Three major candidates emerged. There were others, who bobbed up in down in the summer and fall of 1992. Such as Rudy Boschwitz who led the Kempist wing of the party. However, only three candidates at the staying power going into 1992. Reverend Jesse Jackson, the standard bearer for progressives and the black Republicans, Bill Bradley of New Jersey an all star NBA player who represented moderates and pragmatists, and the Governor of New York Mario Cuomo who led a big tent Republican coalition. He had switched parties as a housing investigator in 1972 and fully supported George Romney. The ailing President Romney was rumored to support his candidacy.

Going into Iowa, Cuomo and Bradley contested the state intensely, while Jackson made inroads with industrial white workers in the midwest, dubbing his campaign that of the "Rainbow Coalition" for the benefit of "all working people of the United States." However on the whole Jackson based his campaign on the near unanimous support of black voters, while Cuomo focused on Gore Republicans and the core of the Romney coalition in the big cities. On caucus day, Bill Bradley despite being favored lost. But Bradley bit back in New Hampshire. Jackson won with ease in South Carolina. Cuomo's polls tanked after being decisively defeated two states in a row. Things did not improve, in Illinois and Michigan he was embarrassed by Reverend Jackson who's insurgent left campaign was making surprising inroads with white workers. However Jackson was unable to make a dent in the west, or anyway else outside the south or steel belt.

Cuomo's fortunes dramatically changed however while campaigning in Chicago. He was dining at a local Italian place, chatting it up with his loyal supporters when two men entered the diner with M16 rifles. They opened fire on Cuomo, in dramatic fashion Cuomo tossed down his table and gathered people behind the safety of a wall from the shooting. The weapons of the gunmen jammed, and they were forced to flee before being tracked down and arrested. What turned out to be a Mafia scheme was foiled. Video of Cuomo dramatically acting was widespread and his fortunes changed for good. Despite Bradley's strength with white southerners and in New England, Cuomo would go on to secure the nomination.

His RNC speech was widely praised as a defining speech for American liberalism and galvanized the party. He spoke of how America was more divided and ever by President Gore's technocratic governing, and how right wing economics had undermined families and created a weaker country, he spoke of lifting people out of poverty and moving the country forthrightly into the future. He selected the Reverend Jackson as his running mate, the imagery of the convention was all Romney and Brooke. Time would tell if that would be the case. 

(Red-Jackson, Blue-Cuomo, Green-Bradley)

Al Gore won renomination without opposition and he and Casey were easily renominated.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #627 on: September 29, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »

Can’t believe I’m saying  this but I’m endorsing Al Gore for President
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #628 on: September 29, 2020, 05:52:55 PM »

Probably the first ticket I'm enthusiastic about since Bayh/Bush... which is why I fully expect Gore to win re-election.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #629 on: September 29, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »

Cuomo/Jackson. Goddamn. Endorsed.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #630 on: September 29, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »

Probably the first ticket I'm enthusiastic about since Bayh/Bush... which is why I fully expect Gore to win re-election.

My thoughts exactly. I am hyped for this ticket.
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2020, 12:56:31 PM »

Cuomo all the way…not a fan of Jackson but yes to Cuomo
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »

Can I say neither vote for the Libertarian Party if it's Ron Paul here? I'll never feel comfortable voting for a liberal myself, especially one as extreme/progressive as Jackson but I also don't like the idea of voting for anyone socially conservative and has ideas/views OSR supports.

As for the TL itself, it's alright, ig. You're doing good for your first TL. Any potential for another TL possibly going back further, as the Civil Rights Act of the 1950s wouldn't have done much do to Dixiecrat interference and other such things (You'd need the Lodge Bill of 1890 to pass at the latest to ensure nothing shady happens and then prevent Grover Cleveland from reaching the dang White House).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: September 30, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »

The Mafia trying to kill Mario Cuomo is certainly a nice surprise.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #634 on: September 30, 2020, 08:31:47 PM »

Can I say neither vote for the Libertarian Party if it's Ron Paul here? I'll never feel comfortable voting for a liberal myself, especially one as extreme/progressive as Jackson but I also don't like the idea of voting for anyone socially conservative and has ideas/views OSR supports.

As for the TL itself, it's alright, ig. You're doing good for your first TL. Any potential for another TL possibly going back further, as the Civil Rights Act of the 1950s wouldn't have done much do to Dixiecrat interference and other such things (You'd need the Lodge Bill of 1890 to pass at the latest to ensure nothing shady happens and then prevent Grover Cleveland from reaching the dang White House).

Not my first TL Smiley (Crossroads 2008 is my first). But thank you. The Eisenhower Civil Rights bill is unrealistic yes, but the entire premise of the TL is too. But I'm trying to keep it realistic otherwise.

And yeah Paul is running.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #635 on: October 01, 2020, 03:52:59 AM »

Didn't read yet, will catch up in the weekend! But right now I'm tossup- I deeply dislike the Jackson choice for VP so idk if I'm willing to support Cuomo yet. We'll see when I read how the Gore administration went.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #636 on: October 04, 2020, 11:52:24 AM »

Wikimedia Commons

The 1992 Campaign II

Mario Cuomo and Jesse Jackson fully embraced the Romney/Brooke aesthetic as they travelled the country. They even wheeled out the former President and Vice President, who, while more conservative than both of them extolled their virtues as they campaigned. Romney declared at a speech in Detroit with Jesse Jackson to an excited mostly black crowd (George had become somewhat of a folk hero to many northern blacks after his presidency) that "President Gore doesn't see America as a rich tapestry of people, families, towns and rolling hills. He sees stocks and bonds and deals to be made. I'm a businessman, but golly this President ought to see more of this country. Mario Cuomo and Reverend Jesse Jackson do. They are good, decent Christian men who will lead this country well." Mario Cuomo declared the need for universal healthcare, homes for the homeless, a new wave of government reform. He specifically rejected the Kemp tax cuts, to the great chagrin of many of his supporters in the party. He had a broad vision for America's future, a great liberal champion he became. Jesse Jackson focused on upping black turnout, but he also eyed the Senate seat in Michigan for 1994. Where Republican incumbent Donald Riegle was considering retirement. The entire Cuomo/Jackson campaign avoided the question of foreign policy.

Al Gore emphasized his foreign policy successes. He declared that "in four years, communism has fallen, democracy has triumphed and America is stronger at home and abroad." His policy agenda was moderate, more moderate than his 1988 campaign. He avoided social issues and focused on the strong economy, new trade deals, and the victorious war in Iraq. Vice President Bob Casey focused on staying strong in the midwest and Pennsylvania, and keeping Catholics in the fold. Mario Cuomo was making serious inroads with that constituency and the Gore/Casey team was worried. A Cuomo breakthrough with Catholic voters could be devastating. Fortunately for the Gore/Casey team Cuomo's Catholicism, New York residence, and overall liberalism pushed the plains states well into Gore's column. Gore found support with many former Kemp enthusiasts, who supported Gore's trade deals and overall willingness to preserve the tax cuts. Funny enough, Bob Casey's biggest fans were into Cuomo.

Texas billionaire Ross Perot announced an exploratory committee to run for President, but ultimately decided not to, though he hinted that he was heavily considering a run in 1996.

In the presidential debate, commenters agree that Gore performed very well. Cuomo was unable to keep up with Gore's rhetorical skill, and Gore's rebuttals to Cuomo's often meandering answers were strong and to the point. As election day approached the polls however were a virtual dead heat. The election looked likely to be a very close one.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2020, 03:43:01 AM »

Still no idea who I'd support. @Kaiserdave- could you tell me a bit about Jackson's relationship with Jews ittl? Also I guess I should ask- what are the positions of the two candidates on Israel?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2020, 07:42:38 AM »

Al Gore! Al Gore! Al Gore!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2020, 08:19:48 AM »

Still no idea who I'd support. @Kaiserdave- could you tell me a bit about Jackson's relationship with Jews ittl? Also I guess I should ask- what are the positions of the two candidates on Israel?

Jackson still referred to New York City as "hymietown" and has been a fervent supporter of a Palestinian state. However, has since 1988 thoroughly apologized for his comments and allied with some reformed synagogues on the issue of Israel-Palestine peace process. Cuomo and Gore are both similarly pro-Israel. There are Israel skeptical elements in both parties, but mostly in the Democratic Party.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »

Jackson still referred to New York City as "hymietown" and has been a fervent supporter of a Palestinian state. However, has since 1988 thoroughly apologized for his comments and allied with some reformed synagogues on the issue of Israel-Palestine peace process. Cuomo and Gore are both similarly pro-Israel. There are Israel skeptical elements in both parties, but mostly in the Democratic Party.

Damn, still undecided Tongue
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #641 on: October 06, 2020, 01:06:19 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2020, 04:55:22 PM by Kuumo »

What Atlas would look like in this world's 1992.

KaiserDave
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

Who do you support in the Presidential election?
« on: October 2, 1992, 8:57:06 pm »

I found it interesting that multiple people that I know personally support a candidate of a different party than in past elections, so I made this thread to see what Atlas thinks.

Kemp Republican
Atlas Star
★★★★★

« on: October 2, 1992, 9:01:17 pm »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm endorsing Al Gore for a second term as President. I'm still really bummed that Kemp lost and am hoping someone like him will win in 1996.

Gay Rights are Human Rights
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

« on: October 2, 1992, 9:03:46 pm »

Enthusiastically for Mario Cuomo 1992! I only reluctantly supported Kemp in 1984 because Jesse Helms is that horrible, but I'm glad the Republican party is becoming the party of Romney again.

SvenTC
★★★

« on: October 2, 1992, 9:05:03 pm »

CUOMO/JACKSON 1992!

Parrotguy
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

« on: October 3, 1992, 2:56:21 am »

I'm still undecided. I like Mario Cuomo but strongly dislike Jesse Jackson.

Andriy Valeriovich
Concerned Citizen
★★★★★

« on: October 3, 1992, 7:02:55 am »

Al Gore all the way!

Kuumo
Rookie
★★

« on: October 3, 1992, 8:49:20 am »

I will be voting for Cuomo/Jackson this year. I supported Al Gore in 1988, but I haven't been thrilled with his Presidency thus far. I won't be too crushed if he wins though; he is miles better than Jesse Helms and Newt Gingrich.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #642 on: October 06, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »

What Atlas would look like in this world's 1992.

-Snip-

You're a hero. I hope you know that.

This is the beautiful stuff that makes me keep writing.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #643 on: October 06, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »

Results of the 1992 Election

Al Gore/Robert Casey: 51.5%/271
Mario Cuomo/Jesse Jackson: 47.7%/267

The election is over, the ballots have been counted, and President Al Gore has been re-elected in what many are calling a "realigning" election. A firmly liberal ticket has been defeated by a modestly conservative one.

However that is only a brief summary of the last night's events. As the night began Governor Cuomo's supporters were ecstatic. The Governor looked poised to capture Illinois and Pennsylvania with a strong Catholic vote, two states that had propelled the President to victory in 1988. Surely this would win the election? But as the evening progressed, the mood changed. The Cuomo/Jackson team new that they would fair badly out west, but they did not anticipate how bad it would be. Every single state west of Minnesota and east of California, with the sole exception of Mormon Utah voted for President Gore. Ultimately it was close races in Ohio and Nevada that gave President Gore the decisive edge. In Ohio he triumphed by .8% and in Nevada by .4%. However many observed that President Gore's popular vote edge in fact grew from 1988 despite losing ground in states like Illinois and Pennsylvania. Many attribute this due to his overall popularity and improvement on his 1988 performance in many high population areas and with independent voters. Libertarian candidate Ron Paul captured almost 1% of the vote nationwide in the popular vote.

Governor Cuomo called President Gore in the early hours of the morning to concede the race.

In Congress the Republicans fell just short of capturing the majority, in the Senate Democrats got a net gain of one.

United States House of Representatives
Democrats: 229 (-17)
Republicans: 215 (+17)

United States Senate
Democrats: 56 (+1)
Republicans: 44 (-1)

Flips: Oklahoma (R to D), Idaho (R to D), Alaska (R to D), Illinois (D to R), Connecticut (D to R)
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #644 on: October 06, 2020, 09:10:32 PM »

sh**t. The first time in 16 years I like a major party candidate and he still loses.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #645 on: October 06, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »

sh**t. The first time in 16 years I like a major party candidate and he still loses.

I did warn the liberals, the 80s and 90s are gonna be tough!
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #646 on: October 06, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I am dissapointed but not surprised.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #647 on: October 06, 2020, 09:15:52 PM »

I suspect 1996 is a 1984 redux. Would be the way to top the century off.

Think you could make a list of senators since 1960?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #648 on: October 06, 2020, 09:20:43 PM »

I suspect 1996 is a 1984 redux. Would be the way to top the century off.

Think you could make a list of senators since 1960?

Ahhhh. I could....try. But I'm not sure. I've sorta ignored the details on that one. I will try to answer questions in the meanwhile if I do try however.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #649 on: October 06, 2020, 09:40:24 PM »

Is this TL just an excuse to make Atlas maps look like IRL maps? jk

That is a really weird map though, with Utah going Republican.

I’m eager to see what the rest of the 90s bring!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies