An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:22:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 41219 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: May 07, 2020, 02:30:28 PM »

Teddy

Wikimedia Commons

"When I was a boy the Democratic Party was the party that cared. When the banker, and the stockbroker said no you can't, when the times were tough for the common Mr. and Mrs. America, the Democratic Party was there. Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal, Harry Truman's Fair Deal, and the New Frontier of my late brother Jack, they were bold, big, and compassionate. We proclaim without fear that we are on the side of the common man, we are on the side of the farmer, of the working man, of the American middle class family. We don't apologize for supporting equal rights for women and African         Americans. But we're losing that party, the party of the New Deal and the little guy has been taken over by the oil tycoons, the arms manufacturers, the Know Nothing racists. Today we first take our party back, in November we take our country back! Yes, I am running for President of the United States, and I will not let this country go down without a fight!"

The crowd of New Yorkers went into a hearty cheer, the applause was tremendous and the chant of "Teddy Teddy Teddy" was even louder. Robert Kennedy leapt onto the stage to hug his brother and the crowd's cheering hit a fever pitch. Another Kennedy was running, would this one finally take the presidential crown? Ted Kennedy was a committed liberal, and there was no doubt the liberal wing of the party was already rallying behind him, but were there enough liberals in his party to carry him to victory? Only time would tell.

Ted stepped off stage where a campaign staffer was waiting, he brought him aside as to hear him better and told him.

"McGovern is in, Carter too."

Ted smiled back with great confidence.

"Let them run, we'll leave them behind!"
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2020, 04:01:07 PM »

Speaking of Ted Kennedy, did Chappaquiddick still happen in this TL?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »

What’s that? Wink
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #303 on: May 07, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »

What’s that? Wink

In that case all i will say is THE DREAM SHALL NEVER DIE! TEDDY 1976!
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #304 on: May 07, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »

Can't wait for Teddy to come up short and get screwed by, like, a Jesse Helms/Dick Cheney ticket.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #305 on: May 07, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »

Campaign 1976

Wikimedia Commons

December 2nd: Frank Church enters presidential race on a platform of committed liberalism, environmentalism, he's considered to be the third liberal to enter the race along with Kennedy and McGovern

December 8th: Hiram Fong announces campaign as a committed Romneyite

December 10th: Birch Bayh, only a Republican for 5 years now runs for President on a liberal platform

December 14th: John Glenn, Senator from Ohio announces campaign on a conciliatory, moderate and pro civil rights platform

December 17th: George Wallace stokes the fires for a potential Presidential campaign, saying "I'd do good, yes, we could help a lot of black people get jobs and a home."

December 18th: Fred Harris, Jimmy Carter announce campaigns. Both running as moderates.

December 21st: John Lindsay announces campaign based on boldness, youth, and liberalism

December 23rd: President Romney gets in trouble for a slip of the tongue when says, "the poor kids work just, just as hard as white kids."

December 26th: Bill Scranton announces presidential campaign based on his international leadership and moderate governance

December 28th: George Romney warns against "forces of the radical right from taking over the party" as Governor Reagan surges in the polls

January 2nd: Martin Luther King Jr. calls for a "basic guaranteed income for all people, so all may enjoy this nation's bounty." His call is echoed by George McGovern. Bill Scranton floats a negative income tax.

January 8th: Iowa Caucus becomes a battleground between Carter, Glenn, and Kennedy. In the Republican field Reagan, Bayh, and Scranton duke it out.

January 11th: Ronald Reagan questions Equal Rights Amendment, saying "do we really need government to tell us what to do with this and that?"

January 14th: Reagan calls for massive tax cut, bringing top marginal tax rate from 57% to 33% and corporate tax rate from 29% to 15%. Bayh fires back, "this is a giveaway to a few of the richest Americans, I prefer President Romney's middle class tax breaks, that's why I'm a Republican."

January 16th: Iowa heats up as Bill Scranton says, "no other candidate has the leadership experience I have." John Lindsay fires back, "this is why we may lose in November."

January 18th: Jimmy Carter emerges as leader of the Democratic Party's conservative wing, Kennedy of the party's liberal wing. However McGovern continues to eat into Kennedy's votes. Glenn in third.

January 19th: Glenn triumphs narrowly over Carter in Iowa Caucus, Kennedy in third, hampered by McGovern's candidacy

January 24th: Carter sweeps Mississippi Caucuses

February 7th: Fred Harris narrowly wins his home state of Oklahoma, drops out due to narrow margin

Democratic Candidates
Ted Kennedy: Teddy is Ready
John Glenn: Believe in the Future
Jimmy Carter: A Leader, for a Change
Frank Church: Opportunity for All
George McGovern: It's Still Time
Fred Harris: Fred will fix it!

Republican Candidates
Bill Scranton: Steady Leadership with Bill
Ronald Reagan: Let's Make America Great Again
Hiram Fong: More Progress, More Jobs
John Lindsay: Bold American Leadership
Birch Bayh: Right and Justice

Democratic Nationwide Polling
Ted Kennedy: 23%
John Glenn: 21%
Jimmy Carter: 20%
Frank Church: 15%
George McGovern: 9%
Undecided/Other: 12%

Republican Nationwide Polling
Bill Scranton: 28%
Ronald Reagan: 24%
Birch Bayh: 21%
John Lindsay: 14%
Hiram Fong: 7%
Undecided/Other: 6%
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #306 on: May 07, 2020, 07:40:12 PM »

Who are ya for?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2020, 08:26:04 PM »

My STV:
[1] Bayh
[2] Church
[3] Kennedy
[4] McGovern
[5] Lindsay
[6] Glenn
[7] Scranton
[8] Harris
[9] Carter
[10] Fong
[11] Reagan

And each individual matchup:

Bayh-Church is tilt R, Kennedy/McGovern-Lindsay is tilt D.

Considering this is a timeline with President George Wallace, I have a feeling that we're gonna end up with Carter and Reagan.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -3.44

P P P

« Reply #308 on: May 07, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »

In the GOP, I'd be 100% on board with Birch Bayh. For the Dems, I'd probably vote for John Glenn or Jimmy Carter.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »

I’m sure you can guess Tongue
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #310 on: May 07, 2020, 09:57:41 PM »

My STV:
[1] Bayh
[2] Church
[3] Kennedy
[4] McGovern
[5] Lindsay
[6] Glenn
[7] Scranton
[8] Harris
[9] Carter
[10] Fong
[11] Reagan

And each individual matchup:

Bayh-Church is tilt R, Kennedy/McGovern-Lindsay is tilt D.

Considering this is a timeline with President George Wallace, I have a feeling that we're gonna end up with Carter and Reagan.

You went all out!

Impressive
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #311 on: May 07, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »

Bill

Wikimedia Commons

I'm going to be the President.

Bill Scranton had never been so confident. Despite his shrinking lead in the polls he had never been so certain. This was his year. He was the rightful successor to Romney. He spent months in Paris to end the war in Vietnam, he'd made a US a global mediator to counter Soviet influence. Bill was going to the White House and he wasn't going to stop. He was the tried and tested leader. He was a leader, a moderate, a competent manager. Well there he was, running his own campaign lines through his head. There he was standing at the bottom of the steps, shivering in the New Hampshire cold. He was certainly of it though, no matter who horrible the cold was. He was gonna lead America into the 80s and beyond, a modern and exciting age. An America with equal rights, with a prosperous middle class, and with a mediation based foreign policy. Yes yes yes. Those extremists on the left and right Bayh and Reagan were not gonna take this guy down. He listened as Governor Walter R. Peterson Jr., a liberal New Hampshire Republican introduced him.

"Here's a man who served admirably as Governor of Pennsylvania, he managed the state with an even hand, balanced budgets, prosperous families, strong schools, and then he took the call of service from our great President Romney to secure peace in Vietnam and in all corners of the world, and he did that too! He's the next President of the United States! I introduce you too Secretary Bill Scranton"

Bill leapt up the stairs and entered the stage to applause.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2020, 11:11:35 PM »

God, if Bayh were a left wing extremist, I'd be even safer for him.
Snazzrazz Mazzlejazz
SlothbearXTB
Rookie

« Reply #313 on: May 08, 2020, 10:03:29 AM »

Holding out for Bayh, Church, or Carter.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #314 on: May 08, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »

Bayh for the GOP, Church for the Democrats.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »

Bayh 1976! I want to see a liberal GOP. But surprisingly, the Democratic Party isn't going that bad despite everything... I expected someone bad, such as Helms, to be doing well right now.

RCV:
1. Bayh
2. Church
3. Glenn
4. Kennedy

5. Scranton
6. Lindsay

7. McGovern
8. Fong
9. Harris
10. Carter

11. Reagan

Individual matchups:

Bayh vs Church lean R
Bayh vs Glenn lean R
Bayh vs Kennedy likely R
Bayh vs McGovern safe R
Bayh vs Harris safe R
Bayh vs Carter safe R
Church vs Scranton lean D
Church vs Lindsay lean D
Church vs Fong likely D
Church vs Reagan titanium D
Glenn vs Scranton lean D
Glenn vs Lindsay lean D
Glenn vs Fong likely D
Glenn vs Reagan titanium D
Kennedy vs Scranton tossup tilt D
Kennedy vs Lindsay tossup tilt D
Kennedy vs Fong lean D
Kennedy vs Reagan titanium D
Scranton vs McGovern lean R
Scranton vs Harris likely R
Scranton vs Carter likely R
Lindsay vs McGovern tossup tilt R
Lindsay vs Harris lean R
Lindsay vs Carter likely R
McGovern vs Fong tossup tilt D
McGovern vs Reagan safe D
Fong vs Harris lean R
Fong vs Carter likely R
Harris vs Reagan safe D
Carter vs Reagan safe D
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2020, 12:10:44 PM »

I literally might be a Reagan or bust voter in this case
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #317 on: May 08, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »

Suffice it to say yes Dems are moving right, but they want to win elections. So Carter is the new southern bloc candidate, not Helms.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #318 on: May 08, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »

Campaign 1976

Wikimedia Commons

February 14th: John Lindsay and Bill Scranton escalate attacks on each other in New Hampshire

February 16th: Ted Kennedy is the overwhelming New Hampshire favorite, but why is his lead shrinking?

February 18th: John Glenn pulls big crowds in Chicago calls for a "kind, gentle nation that unites Americans of every creed." His platform is largely centrist with support for sound budgets, but with a great emphasis on space, education, and science.

February 19th: Birch Bayh and Reagan debate one on one in New Hampshire, debate on what being a Republican really means. Both sides claim victory.

February 23rd: President Romney visits Willowbrook State School, outwardly horrified, he promises reform of education for children with disabilities

February 24th: New Hampshire primary is held.

Democratic New Hampshire Primary Results
Ted Kennedy: 32.1% ✓
John Glenn: 29.4%
Frank Church: 18.5%
Jimmy Carter: 16.2%
George McGovern: 3.1%

Republican New Hampshire Primary Results
Birch Bayh: 28.5% ✓
Bill Scranton: 28.4%
Ronald Reagan: 24.5%
John Lindsay: 9.3
Hiram Fong: 8.1%

February 25th: Birch Bayh is finally declared the victor after a lengthy recount. Kennedy has an uncomfortably close showing ahead of Glenn.

February 27th: Hiram Fong ends campaign, endorses Bill Scranton. Romney is rumored to favor Scranton, but he is lukewarm about the entire field.

March 2nd: Kennedy wins both Massachusetts and Vermont by large margins. Though Carter does well in Vermont. Bayh takes Vermont, Scranton takes Massachusetts.

March 9th: Carter wins Florida, Scranton edges out Reagan.

March 10th: George McGovern drops out after dismal showing in every primary.

March 12th: Glenn, Carter, Church, and Kennedy debate. Observers agree Carter won the debate.

March 15th: Equal Rights Amendment moving steadily towards ratification

March 16th: Glenn edges out Carter and Kennedy in Illinois. Bayh edges out Scranton in Illinois.

March 23rd: North Carolina goes to Carter in a landslide, Reagan edges out Scranton.

March 25th: Romney Administration pitches disability education reform program, emphasizes gentleness and more government funding

April 4th: Reagan, Bayh, Lindsay, and Scranton debate. Scranton and Lindsay feud while Bayh and Reagan excel. Rockefeller endorses Lindsay. Javits endorses Bayh.

April 6th: Glenn wins Wisconsin, Kennedy wins New York. Bayh takes Wisconsin, Lindsay edges out Scranton in New York.

April 8th: Pol Pot is assassinated under mysterious conditions

April 14th: Bayh calls for broad healthcare reform, calling for Medicare to Extend to all citizens. He is joined by Jacob Javits and Rockefeller who begin to cook up legislation to that end.

April 17th: With healthcare in the spotlight, Bill Scranton proposes a reinsurance bill broadly similar to what Eisenhower proposed in 1953

April 18th: Lindsay attacks Scranton's plan as "from the past." Glenn proposes an individual mandate system.

April 20th: Reagan proposes large block grants to states to develop universal coverage systems.

April 27th: Scranton takes Pennsylvania, Glenn edges out Carter and Kennedy. Church campaign running short of funds.

May 1st: Carter beats Glenn and Church in Texas with the support of John Connally. Reagan defeats all contenders.

May 4th: Alabama and Georgia are won by James Carter in landslides. Indiana goes to Glenn and Washington D.C. to Kennedy. In the Republican primary, Reagan takes Alabama and Georgia. Indiana and D.C. go to Bayh. Lindsay drops out and endorses Bayh, giving him immense momentum.

May 11th: Connecticut goes to Kennedy. Missouri and West Virginia to Glenn. Nebraska is won by Church. Connecticut goes to Bayh, Missouri to Scranton, West Virginia to Bayh.

May 13th: President Romney signs Federal Election Campaign Act to regulate campaign finance. He also leaves on a state visit to Israel.

May 18th: Maryland is won by Carter, Michigan by Glenn. Maryland goes to Scranton, Michigan to Bayh.

May 25th: Many critical primaries. Arkansas and Tennessee go to Carter. Idaho, Nevada, and Oregon to Frank Church. Kentucky goes to John Glenn. Reagan wins Arkansas, Tennessee, and Nevada. Bayh wins Oregon and Idaho. Scranton campaign short on funding and momentum as voters flee to ascendant Bayh.

May 27th: Bayh, Reagan, and Scranton debate. Scranton struggles.

June 1st: Montana and South Dakota to Church. Rhode Island to a now declining Kennedy campaign. Bayh wins South Dakota. Reagan wins Montana.

June 8th: Big primaries are held. Glenn gets a knockout blow by winning California, New Jersey, and Ohio by substantial margins. Carter drops out to support Glenn. Reagan gets a small win in California but is thumped by Bayh in Ohio and New Jersey. Scranton ends campaign with a muted endorsement of Bayh.

June 10th: President Romney tells the press, "I think we know our nominee will by Senator Bayh, but we'll all wait for the convention."

June 12th: National Security Advisor Bush photographed laughing with Bayh.

June 13th: Glenn declares with Jimmy Carter that they will run together, they both are smiling and present an optimistic view for a peaceful world and a stable America.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »

That was a doozy, but it was fun to write!

Please leave your thoughts!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #320 on: May 08, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »

Omg Bayh actually happening! Holding my fingers for him, but Glenn wouldn't be horrible.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #321 on: May 08, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »

This is a disaster. I hope some prominent conservative creates a new party called the conservative party and hope Reagan is that conservative.

Otherwise I would just write in Reagan for President
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »

Omg Bayh actually happening! Holding my fingers for him, but Glenn wouldn't be horrible.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »

Glenn/Carter is many miles better than what I was anticipating, but I'm behind Bayh here.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »

Seeing Bayh as the GOP nominee is exciting, maybe I'd stay a Republican in this timeline.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies