An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:41:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 41188 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2020, 08:58:44 PM »

This timeline is amazing, Dave! Reading it has me on the edge of my seat, especially the part about VP Brooke getting shot. I'm so glad he eneded up being okay. I can't wait to see what direction you take this in. Definitely subscribed!

Romney/Brooke 1972!

Thank you!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »

Campaign 1972

Wikimedia Commons

New Hampshire Primary Results:

Democratic Primary
Edmund Muskie: 22.1% ✓
Robert Kennedy: 21.8
George McGovern: 19.1%
Henry Jackson: 18.8%
Eugene McCarthy: 8.7%
George Wallace (write in): 6.2%
Wilbur Mills (write in): 2.4%

Republican Primary
George Romney: 93.4%

March 8th: Edmund Muskie, the favorite in New Hampshire barely edges out Robert Kennedy by a few hundred ballots. Eugene McCarthy collapses into single digits as George McGovern and Muskie swallow up his voters from 1968. In the Republican primary the President cruises to a landslide win over a variety of conservative write ins.

March 9th: Eugene McCarthy quits race, endorses George McGovern as the "best candidate to end the nightmare in Vietnam and save the Democratic Party from nativism and corporatism."

March 10th: The Texas Oil Establishment is back at home in the Democratic Party, and it's behind Wilbur Mills

March 12th: Robert Kennedy endorsed by Cesar Chavez as he rallies the Hispanic Vote, holds rally with his brother Jack in Chicago as well

March 14th: Florida Primary sees Wilbur Mills edge out Scoop Jackson and Robert Kennedy (Liberals Dems had coalesced around Jackson and Kennedy in that state)

March 21st: Robert Kennedy narrowly edges out Jackson and Muskie in Illinois. McCarthy falls into single digits and quits the race.

March 22nd: Equal Rights Amendment is passed by Congress and sent to the states.

April 4th: McGovern and RFK in a dead heat in Wisconsin, Muskie in a close third. Counting finally reveals a narrow win for McGovern. However, numerous unpledged delegates go to Mills.

April 10th: Romney signs onto Biological Weapons Convention, also announces that the US will now recognize the PRC as the legitimate government of China. A visit is planned.

April 16th: Apollo 16 is launched.

April 18th: Cambodian President Lon Nol is assassinated, and speculation ranges as to who is responsible from North Korean agents to the North Vietnamese to East Germany or to the ascendant Khmer Rouge.

April 19th: At an Edward Brooke Town Hall in Boston Massachusetts a group of men armed with clubs and a pistols try to attack the Vice President as he answers a question, but are restrained by a combination of the Secret Service and the assembled voters.

April 20th: Last Remaining American combat soldiers leave North Vietnam, leaving behind 500 men solely for advisory and security purposes. Romney declares American involvement over, but also signs off on a substantial new arms deal for the Republic of Vietnam.

April 25th: Robert Kennedy cruises to a landslide win in Massachusetts. In Pennsylvania he narrowly edges out George McGovern.

May 2nd: D.C. primary goes to Robert Kennedy, Ohio to Edmund Muskie (narrowly over Kennedy), in Indiana Mills narrowly defeats Kennedy. Fire in Idaho Silver Mine kills 91, accelerating passage of landmark "National Mine Safety Act" which Romney signs on May 10th

May 4th: Tennessee, North Carolina, and Arkansas primaries are all won by Wilbur Mills.

May 9th: Nebraska and West Virginia primaries occur. McGovern wins Nebraska and Kennedy wins West Virginia. Henry Jackson moves his campaign away from primary contests to unpledged delegate accumulation.

May 13th: President Romney, National Security Advisor Kissinger, and Secretary of State Scranton arrive in Beijing. They are greeted by a warm welcome and vast parade by Chairman Mao and Premier Zhou Enlai.

May 16th: Michigan primary is one by George McGovern and Maryland is won by Wilbur Mills.

May 17th: Hubert Humphrey calls on either Robert Kennedy or McGovern or Muskie to drop out and consolidate the liberal vote

May 23rd: Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter offers himself as an alternative candidate in Georgia and South Carolina's primary to Wilbur Mills. Oregon goes to McGovern and Rhode Island to Kennedy. Georgia is won by Carter, but South Carolina goes to Mills.

June 6th: Crucial June 6th primaries go ahead. California, New Jersey, and New Mexico are all big wins for Robert Kennedy as his momentum grows. Muskie leaves the race. In Alabama and Louisiana Mills defeats Carter. Carter is greeted with anger in the southern establishment, though even conservatives from outside the South are admiring his efforts and his southern politeness.

June 8th: Romney holds massive rally with Edward Brooke in Richmond Virginia to a cheering (mostly black) crowd, the Klan protests outside the rally and several toting rifles are arrested by the police.

June 20th: Kennedy wins a landslide in New York, although McGovern refuses to leave the race (many believe at the urging of Eugene McCarthy who has endorsed McGovern and dislikes Kennedy)

July 2nd: Q2 Economic reports showing a slowing economic recovery, as a worries about inflation stem investment. However unemployment still goes down.

July 10th: Democratic Convention in Pittsburgh opens to confusion as many believe nefarious activities are afoot to deny Robert Kennedy the nomination.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:48 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2020, 02:35:47 PM by KaiserDave »

Alright readers, I want to know!

Are you all in Republican for George?

Are you a Democrat fanatically behind RFK? Are you still behind McGovern or Henry Jackson? Or do you like Wilbur Mill's call for balanced budgets and fiscal restraint (and no busing)?

Or are you disenchanted with everything?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2020, 02:40:45 PM »

Great! I still support George Romney/Edward Brooke, but Edmund Muskie as Dem nominee would make me think about this race
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »

Holding out hope for McGovern, but whole-heartedly behind Kennedy for when he wins the nomination.
Mini Mike
Rookie
United States

« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »

Romney/Brooke all the way! Centrists FTW!

Would love to see Brooke run and try to make history in '76. A perfect running mate for him would be Mark Hatfield (who is probably my favorite politician from that era).
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »

I support RFK and McGovern, but since it seems like RFK will be denied at the Convention Floor i will support Romney/Brooke for the General Election.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2020, 04:02:36 PM »

With Muskie out, I support Bobby.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2020, 05:24:58 PM »

I'm behind Romney, but if RFK is the nominee, I might reconsider.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »

All the way with McGovern or Bobby!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »

I am for Romney as RFK and McGovern are way too liberal for me and Mills's pandering to segregationist in the way he has is unacceptable so there is no way I can support him as the George Wallace wing must be rejected in every way possible.

If Henry Jackson is the nominee, I would consider supporting him but still lean to Romney
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2020, 06:42:05 PM »

McGovern is the closest to my actual beliefs, but I'd happily cast my vote for RFK. Having said that, four more years of Romney would hardly be a bad thing.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »

Democratic National Convention: Pittsburgh

Wikimedia

Robert Kennedy was beyond livid, he was furious. He was in a large suite while a dozen staffers were on phones calling delegates. Their job was made harder by the furious mob gathered outside, they continued to chant and jeer and a heavy police presence began to gather. The voices of each caller bounced off the walls

"What have you been offered..."

What state delegations have flipped?

Jackson did what now?

Sir, you pledged to vote for us?

You voted for us on four separate ballots!

How can we get you to change this?

Inside the convention hall there too was chaos. McGovern delegates were causing a stir and Eugene McCarthy had delivered an angry speech calling the entire process "rigged from start to finish." President Wallace had been spotted on the upper echelons of the Civic Arena chatting with Wilbur Mills, causing for chaos on the floor as jeering broke out amongst the McGovern delegates.

So what was the situation? Bobby stepped out of the hotel suite to smoke with Jack and Teddy. All three brothers together, healthy (as much as Jack could be), and happy? Well that was still up to debate. So here's what the situation was. The unpledged Southern Delegates as expected flocked to Mills immediately, but also western delegates as well making him a serious contender. After the deadlocked first two ballots the seismic change occurred, Henry Jackson's delegates abandoned him and joined Mills. And Jackson had no comment on the matter, no apoplectic rage, no disappointment, just no comment. James Carter refused to support Mills, but his delegates began to do so. Muskie generously offered his delegates to Bobby, but McGovern refused to give in. Meanwhile Wallace whipped more and more uncommitted delegates to Mills. Bobby's delegate lead had shrunk, now he barely held to a chance. Meanwhile, rumors had come out that Mill's team was bribing undecided delegates with government posts, and even just outright offering cash for a vote. The mob began to gather and soon the protests became riotous.

Jack and Bobby had used every weapon in the Kennedy arsenal, and they soon reduced McGovern's delegate count, but he refused to give in and it just didn't seem like it would be enough. Well, the fifth ballot was imminent. The Kennedy brothers would soon find out. They stood there, smoking when a staffer delivered a slip of paper. Bobby unfolded it, revealing the results of the fifth ballot. By the closest of margins there was a winner. When the VP nomination was eventually revealed it would become clear who was critical to that victory.

Democratic Party Ticket: Wilbur Mills/Henry Jackson
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »

Well it looks like it's now Romney/Brooke time for me again, considering the shenanigans that happened at the DNC and all. Can't wait to see Wilbur Mills get destroyed McGovern style.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »

IIRC, Mills was involved in some kind of drunk driving incident. I wonder if that'll play a role here.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »

IIRC, Mills was involved in some kind of drunk driving incident. I wonder if that'll play a role here.

hehhehehehehhehehe
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »

sh**t. I'm a George Gal again.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »

How do ya'll feel about the convention shenanigans?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »

Quite distraught over the fact that Wallace's Worker pulled it off.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2020, 08:37:43 PM »

Quite distraught over the fact that Wallace's Worker pulled it off.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2020, 10:21:56 PM »

Republican National Convention: Hartford

Wikimedia

Edward

Edward approached the podium to speak. As soon as he emerged the entire hall got to its feet. A roaring applause echoed from wall to wall, from a collection of delegates including blacks and whites. To imagine in 1960 that the GOP Convention would have a standing ovation for the nation's first black Vice President would be unthinkable. But here they were. Brooke waved and smiled as the applause sustained itself for several minutes. Brooke now spoke, just as the convention had nominated Romney and Brooke by acclamation.

"Fellow Americans, fellow Republicans, fellow patriots. I first and foremost accept your renomination for Vice President. I am humbled by the unanimity of this convention, and today we tell the country that the Republican Party is united and we are strong. Not only are we united behind President George W. Romney, but we are united behind a bold, optimistic vision for the future. We see America moving forward boldly into the future. We see America strong on the world stage, and we Americans safe, prosperous and happy. We see the world at peace, democracy on the advance and communism in retreat, we see law and order triumphant, and justice for all the unifying creed of our land. As Vice President I believe more than ever that we have the capability do a lot of good in this country. Get more people good paying jobs, to make sure our families are more happy and secure than ever. But I also believe that the Republican Party must continue to be a vessel for equal dignity and justice for all people, we believe in the promise of the Declaration of Independence. That all men are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, and that every American deserves a real shot. Black or white, man or woman, they deserve the American dream. That's why the signs across this hall say "Towards Sunshine", because I believe, I believe in the promise of this country, it's what helped some black DC kid become Vice President of the greatest country on Earth. That's the message, the message of justice, inclusion, and equality that makes this party the party of Lincoln, and that's the message that will triumph in November!"

When Brooke finished his speech the applause was tremendous. The Republican Party was united.

Republican Party Ticket: George Romney/Edward Brooke
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2020, 12:51:20 AM »

Jesus, Romney and Brooke are going to eat those two court jesters for breakfast. Pulling for another landslide.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2020, 05:09:15 AM »

Damn. Brooke 1976!
I'd probably support RFK and then easily Romney. McGovern and Jackson are criminals.

That'd probably be my RCV:
1. RFK
2. Romney
3. Muskie (could vote over Romney too, depends on campaign)

4. Jackson
5. Carter

6. McGovern
7. McCarthy

8. Mills

Jackson and McGovern are criminals.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2020, 08:55:42 AM »

My RCV:
Tier A: Safe D but these people can actually win
1. Kennedy
2. Muskie
Tier B: Safer D but I know they'd get creamed
3. McGovern
4. McCarthy
Tier C: Tossup
5. Carter (Tilt D)
6. Romney (The Republican)
7. Jackson  (Tilt R)
Tier D: Safe R
8. Mills
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2020, 09:06:11 AM »

I’d really like to support a pro-civil rights economic conservative, but it looks like the party coalitions are moving away from that. So I guess I’m all in for Romney/Brooke!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies