Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:18:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15948 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 26, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »

All COVID restrictions should be removed with the exception of vaccine mandates which should be strengthened. Of course, no one is doing that, and everyone just wants to double down on virtually useless masks.

COVID restrictions now have have one purpose only - keep anti vaxxers happy.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:33:14 AM »

All COVID restrictions should be removed with the exception of vaccine mandates which should be strengthened. Of course, no one is doing that, and everyone just wants to double down on virtually useless masks.

COVID restrictions now have have one purpose only - keep anti vaxxers happy.

Forcing everyone to wear masks is hardly a big ask - it costs barely anything and takes absolutely no time to wear. Of course, vaccine mandates should be strengthened, but should be supplemented with mask mandates.
There's evidence that delta goes through the doubly-vaccinated, which is why masks are a necessary tool to help stop the spread. Not saying they'll always stop COVID19 but will significantly reduce it, and at a cost of just 10 cents and 10 seconds of your time. It's not a big deal to ask people to wear masks. And no, the anti-vaxxers aren't the ones who favour COVID19 restrictions and mask mandates; it's sensible folks. The anti-vaxxers are also anti-mask and anti-restrictions. So, either you're against masks, vaccination, and restrictions, in favour of all three, or just inconsistent and fickle. Choose one of the three. Few choose the first option. I choose the second. It seems you choose the third.

We were promised earlier this year, by a multitude of figures-including Biden himself-that if we got vaccinated, we would no longer need to wear masks. Obviously,  the CDC's reversal of its mask-wearing recommendations, and the imposition of school mask mandates, demonstrates that this was not true. Nor is it true that wearing masks is a "minimal" intrusion.

Yes, it may be necessary (and in school environments, is necessary so long as the majority of students remain unvaccinated), but many people cannot stand masks, and they do have broad psychological and social impacts. They're not the most comfortable items to wear, either. I know this from experience, having to wear a mask for up to eight hours a day at my job.

How much longer do you think we should be wearing masks? Another year? Two years? Three years? There needs to be a point at which it is no longer necessary to do so.

Now is not that time, and I (and I think most people) would prefer that they and those around them wear masks and get vaccinated rather than possibly getting COVID19 and giving it to someone they love. I mean, wearing a mask isn't fun, but neither is this panemic, and masks very clearly decrease the likelihood of getting COVID19. Getting a possibly fatal disease is much worse than wearing an uncomfortable mask. I personally don't know how much longer masks will be required, or how long delta will spread to the doubly-vaccinated. The point is, it's not a major sacrifice to wear a mask, at least not if the alternative is possibly getting and spreading COVID19. I know firsthand about how bad it is to thinks masks are unnecessary once you're vaccinated. Some family members of mine got vaccinated, and went to a few large events vaccinated, believing it was safe. They tested positive for COVID19 shortly thereafter, about two weeks ago, though fortunately the symptons weren't that bad, and ultimately, four people in my family got it.

And that is the entire point of vaccines. Not to keep someone from ever getting COVID (because as transmissible as Delta is that's almost certainly impossible), but to keep symptoms minor enough that hospitalization is avoided. Masks aren't totally useless, but most of the time they are at best postponing the inevitable.

If the goal is to never get sick, these mandates will be around for at least a few more decades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies