Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:01:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15923 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 25, 2021, 09:23:42 AM »

I gotta say, I am genuinely sympathetic to Fuzzy’s concerns and frustrations. I don’t agree with everything he says, but I don’t doubt his sincerity and he brings up important points that liberals and leftists would be wise to take seriously. It’s much easier to demonize or caricature someone like him as a Trump-loving religious hypocrite (what self-professed religious person *isn’t* a hypocrite at some level? Not a convincing takedown) than to seriously engage with his concerns. Unfortunately too many on this forum are perfectly comfortable with merely doing the former. At best, it’s just intellectual laziness.

Except that he just cherry picks data to make him look like a victim. Everyone does that. You do that. I do that. It's just not adding anything to the conversation. The only way this ends is if the enough people get vaccinated and the risks of becoming vaccinated are at least, except in extreme cases, no worse than actually getting COVID. At this point, it just feels like dealing with people who are complaining that they can't get hammered on Friday Night because they don't have a designated driver or will never wear a seat belt because they believe that being thrown from their car will be safer than not being thrown from their car in an accident.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 09:54:10 AM »

Also, my OP was and still is directed toward liberals in both the common American usage and the broadest philosophical sense. The pandemic is a world-historic crisis, yes, but it’s also a world-historic test of core liberal principles at a time when governments, corporations, public health authorities, and other powerful bureaucratic organizations are demanding unprecedented submission and sacrifice from ordinary people in the name of the common good.

At a time in which liberalism is under attack around the world from increasingly repressive autocracies, from both ostensible allies of the US like Saudi Arabia and Egypt to adversarial peer powers like Russia and (most frighteningly) China, to countries like Hungary and Turkey; to, as liberals will be the first to tell you, Donald Trump and the Republican Party in general and right-wing extremists in general at home, and yes, the more extreme elements among BLM, Antifa, and the emerging Far Left, you would think that liberals would be standing up for, well, liberalism.

If you’re willing to sacrifice your ostensible “liberal democratic values” to a bunch of unelected technocrats with authoritarian tendencies who are standing in for hapless and incompetent political “leaders”, then I question your level of commitment to either liberalism or democracy.

And I thought the initial were lockdowns were dumb. They just weren't worth it and they were too difficult to enforce to be effective. Mask and vaccine mandates are reasonable approaches. It's a reasonable power for a government to have those powers when people want government guaranteed health indemnity and seat belt mandates.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies