Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:39:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15939 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: March 17, 2020, 10:43:15 AM »

I'm guessing this a result of a strong lack of faith in government, since I've seen few Europeans worry about temporary measures leading to the permanent suspension of democracy, same with gun control policies. Anyway, I'm hanging out at the international Covid thread, things are much less alarmist and more factual over there at least.

To be honest, one of my big worries is if somehow the restrictions become permanent; or even if they don't if the psychological impact leads to permanent changes on society (which honestly might be a very realistic scenario, I guess we are never quite going back to what we used to).

I do partially agree and partially disagree on the "trust on government" argument. I definitely don't think people here trust the government at all. However the lack on trust in government compared to the American lack of trust is more centered on the politicians themselves, rather than coming from a more principled "anti-government" position.

The measures at least in Spain also seem to be to lean more on the "legal" side of things. The state of alarm is perfectly constiutitonal; developed in legislation (Bill 4/1981) and there is even a precedent from 10 years ago even if it's a very different one. It includes congressional oversight (can be imposed unilaterally by the PM, but needs congressional authorization to last more than 15 days)

The earlier local measures are more iffy in terms of their legality but most tend to be seen as perfectly legal as well and there has been a great degree of coordination I would say.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:09 AM »

I agree with the economic arguments here. But, there is still most freedom of movement in the countries under lockdown. Unless people feel like having to print a document to show authorities, at most, is equivalent to living in a dictatorial regime, the conspiratorial hysteria is unwarranted.

I actually live under lockdown right now. You can only leave your home for work (if you are one of the few who still have it), to buy groceries and that is pretty much it.

That is most definitely not freedom of movement; and it's probably worse than even most dictatorships out there
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:28 AM »

I agree with the economic arguments here. But, there is still most freedom of movement in the countries under lockdown. Unless people feel like having to print a document to show authorities, at most, is equivalent to living in a dictatorial regime, the conspiratorial hysteria is unwarranted.

I actually live under lockdown right now. You can only leave your home for work (if you are one of the few who still have it), to buy groceries and that is pretty much it.

That is most definitely not freedom of movement; and it's probably worse than even most dictatorships out there
Can you walk your dog to poop, as long as you don't go more than 1km away?

Yeah, walking your dog is also allowed. Other exceptions include:

-Going to one of the other few businesses that are still open (gas stations, veterinarians, insurance companies, etc)

-Going to the doctor

-Returning to your regular home adress (like say if you are a student)

-To take care of disabled or old people

-"Other major force cause"

But the 2 big ones are work and groceries with little else really
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 04:21:05 AM »

No one will EVER prevent me from attending mass obligations for any reason. If Pennsylvania instituted this, I will flee to New Jersey or Virginia. If all churches complied and locked their doors, I will livestream from outside the church. If anyone tried to stop me and others from fulfilling that obligation as best I can, I will have to start exercising my other rights.

Does this sound like a serious comment of yours?
You describe your commitment to your religion, and then end it by saying that you may need to possibly shoot people.
WTF is that? What level of morality is in your soul?
I didnt even know you were religious. Is this another (poor) troll attempt from you?
And if you are religious (Christian I assume), shame on you for wanting to "exercise your other rights," just because you cant go to mass.

I have never missed mass and never intend to. No one will infringe on that right. It seems the churches are closed up and down the east coast. Standing outside and streaming it is.

Off-topic, but what even is the point of this?

I know going to mass is important to many religious people, but if churches are closed, what even is the point of leaving to go to church? You can stream a mass just as well from your PC.

In fact, if lockdowns are imposed you would be fined for doing that if caught, as "going to the door of the church" is most definitely not going to be an exception
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:16:49 PM »

You can not be serious with that kind of absurd comment (in bold above).

Most dictatorships actually let you leave your house under normal circumstances. Not all do, but even most dictators of the world will actually let their citizens move around freely.

Of course, this is all under normal circumstances.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »

Looking back at my old posts here I am happy to report nothing has aged too badly Smiley

I will in fact reiterate my very clear note that no Americans have experienced a "true lockdown" or anything even close to it. Australia certainly has though.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 05:16:45 AM »

My wife and I are fully vaccinated.  My 16 year old son is not; he has had COVID-19 and I am concerned with the possibility of him developing the side-effect of myocarditis.  Yes, I know that some of you here are terrified that he will get sick and spread the disease to one of you.  Right now, the chances of him getting myocarditis from the vaccine at his age are greater than him getting COVID-19, or one of its variants (and that's not even factoring in any natural immunity he may have).  You'll forgive me, but HIS life is the life I'm responsible for.  I've got an open mind on this issue, and I believe that most people ought to take the vaccine, but the idea that everyone needs to take this so Joe Biden can register a success in the Win Column of History is absurd. 

I will skip the rest of the post, but I will say that unless your son has some sort of pre-existing heart condition the vaccine is well worth it.

The source I can find that had the highest number for myocarditis cases had it at 162 cases per million; (or in other words: 0,0162%) and it seemed a bit of an outlier (most had it at around 1/10th of that)

Meanwhile, a healthy 16 year old boy with no preexisting conditions has if I am not mistaken somewhere around a 0.02% chance of death. That sounds well and good; well within the margin of error; except miocarditis is not a lethal condition while death obviously is.

The numbers clearly work out in favour of the vaccine even in the case of your son.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies