Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:02:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15878 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2020, 02:34:14 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2020, 02:41:40 PM by Devout Centrist »

I think it's important to note that China's response to this crisis was a total and complete failure.
This is to put it mildly, ridiculous. Their initial response was disastrous but once they took up the necessary measures, they have managed to curtail the infection.
Irrelevant. Beijing dithered for days and chose to cover up community transmission as long as they could. Had the global community known about this sooner, this virus could have been contained more effectively and at a lower cost.

If you want to see total and complete failure, see Italy. Or much of Europe for that matter

So like what Wuhan looked like for much of January and February? I don't think 67,000 cases and over 3,000 deaths can be called a success.

The authoritarian response - total lockdown; tracking down and containment of all persons in contact with the infected - is the only one that works. The reason this pandemic happened is that it was not implemented soon enough.

Protocols like social distancing, closing shops, and quarantines are not inherently authoritarian. What is authoritarian is shooting people who disobey quarantine orders (like some have proposed here!), clamping down on free movement and reliable information, and cordoning off cities from the rest of the world. All hallmarks of China's response to this panic, save for the first one...I hope.

This is the stark face of ideological purity -  ignore the only method that works, because the ideological enemy has used it. But of course you're free to emulate the European response, with its attendant infection rates.

While it is true that nations like Italy did not take action fast enough to prevent a public health emergency, their response is starting to yield fruit. New infections are plateauing one week after the start of their quarantine and the number of new deaths may be beginning to fall.

So why are you then opposed to measures which would prevent this danger? Not all people are responsible, this is why there are laws to keep them in line. And extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary measures.

This is an extraordinary situation, sure, but we should not run roughshod over the Constitution or legal protections put in place to protect civil liberties. There are already legal provisions for situations that require quarantines.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »

I am resisting irrationality.

Scientists and doctors treat the physical, but there is the metaphysical aspect of life to understand which is more powerful than the physical.

The thoughts you put into your brain can wreak more havoc on your system than any physical virus.

Caving into fear and panic are poisons that you yourself put into your body, and they cause damage to your mental health, emotional health and also your immune system.

I continue going for my daily walks because I need them for my health and well-being. I am not caving into fear and panic because I know they are poison to my system. I take precautions like washing my hands frequently and when I go out I bring hand sanitizer and also wipes that I use to wipe down doors and other things I touch.

We do have to deal with the physical aspects of disease, but they are symptoms of something that is already in our belief systems and our thoughts and behavior that we have put there way before hand.

I can't allow ignorant authorities to control my life when I know better how to live it. I've been into health all my life, seldom get sick because of my practices, and unlike Trump, I KNOW that the buck stops with me. I am responsible for what I put into my brain that weakens my body, mind and spirit. And fear and panic are killers.

Going out for walks is a good idea. You cannot get COVID-19 from fresh air. Keeping yourself in good mental shape (and physical activity contributes to that) makes you less vulnerable to serious infections.

I also say -- use the time for expanding your intellectual world. Here is a very good start for anyone:

https://www.gutenberg.org/

It is free! Some states have closed the public libraries, but if you have a computer and Internet access you have perhaps the greatest library at your disposal. You have material from the Epic of Gilgamesh to... early Hemingway? The focus is on material in the public domain due to expired copyrights. That does exclude much, but just think of what is available. Anything in its final form as of December 31, 1924 is potentially available.

May I suggest that you look again to any collections of great music?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »

These are the types of enlightened individuals who would claim “FDR is a fascist” or “Lincoln is destroying our Democracy”.
This is a war, full stop.
Certain liberties need to be suspended.

Settle down there, General Patton.
At least Patton won against the literal Nazis.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »

This minor (don't lie and claim otherwise) pandemic has served as a wake up call.
The vast majority of humans are blithering fools, willing to enthusiastically get down on their scrawny knees and pray to their government to strip from them of all of their invaluable freedoms and liberties, simply because the government narrative states that it "must be done" to "keep you safe." Americans, unfortunately, are not exempt from this.
I have been shocked and appalled by how so many people are coming out as being little more than thoughtless media drones. This is roughly equally true of people on the right and the left. No critical thinking, no reasoning, no rationality. Just brain-dead hogs who will gladly be dragged along by the nose ring to the slaughterhouse. Cheering and commending their killers all the way.
What's even worse is that they will not be contempt to lose merely their own freedom, but will bully and harass their fellow citizens into also giving us up. This whole event has been a sick frenzy, fueled by depraved, sub-human leaders and abetted by armies of millions of mindless dolts.
The lot of you have no respect for liberty, and it's a wonder this nation has managed to maintain any vestige of it for so long. Our actions, our rhetoric, bears absolutely no respect or love for anything that makes us free, that makes us American.
We really are no different than our ancestors -- human nature never changes. It's times like these that make this inherent truth so crystal-clear. You -- you, America -- are nothing more than bottom-feeding, self-loathing rodents, practically demanding slavery. We're no different than the Russian peasants who installed a government which would go on to exterminate millions of their own. One can hope that we or our descendants do not some day meet a similar fate, but there is little evidence to suggest that we will not.

Honestly this country might as well close up shop and abandon all pretense of governing with basic human decency and honoring basic natural rights. We are nothing. Bring on eternal martial law and dictator Nancy Pelosi because some folks are coughing and a few people in some nursing homes passed away.
Had I said half thing things you said just now, I would have been muted immediately, just saying.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »

This minor (don't lie and claim otherwise) pandemic has served as a wake up call.
The vast majority of humans are blithering fools, willing to enthusiastically get down on their scrawny knees and pray to their government to strip from them of all of their invaluable freedoms and liberties, simply because the government narrative states that it "must be done" to "keep you safe." Americans, unfortunately, are not exempt from this.

Ending up in intensive care is not an exercise of freedom. If you have caused someone to get into the ICU or the morgue because you have spread a dangerous disease, then you deserve to feel guilty about such.

I have been shocked and appalled by how so many people are coming out as being little more than thoughtless media drones. This is roughly equally true of people on the right and the left. No critical thinking, no reasoning, no rationality. Just brain-dead hogs who will gladly be dragged along by the nose ring to the slaughterhouse. Cheering and commending their killers all the way.
What's even worse is that they will not be contempt to lose merely their own freedom, but will bully and harass their fellow citizens into also giving us up. This whole event has been a sick frenzy, fueled by depraved, sub-human leaders and abetted by armies of millions of mindless dolts.
The lot of you have no respect for liberty, and it's a wonder this nation has managed to maintain any vestige of it for so long. Our actions, our rhetoric, bears absolutely no respect or love for anything that makes us free, that makes us American.
We really are no different than our ancestors -- human nature never changes. It's times like these that make this inherent truth so crystal-clear. You -- you, America -- are nothing more than bottom-feeding, self-loathing rodents, practically demanding slavery. We're no different than the Russian peasants who installed a government which would go on to exterminate millions of their own. One can hope that we or our descendants do not some day meet a similar fate, but there is little evidence to suggest that we will not.

Big Business made some of the decisions and let others -- typically elected officials -- impose them. That is how things happen. COVID-19 is an unusually-dangerous virus. How dangerous? We do not really know. Think of how we found out about AIDS.  

Honestly this country might as well close up shop and abandon all pretense of governing with basic human decency and honoring basic natural rights. We are nothing. Bring on eternal martial law and dictator Nancy Pelosi because some folks are coughing and a few people in some nursing homes passed away.

People on the Left often consider Donald Trump the 'dictator'. Yes, he is the most despotic President that we have ever had.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2020, 09:48:24 PM by TæxasGurl »

These are the types of enlightened individuals who would claim “FDR is a fascist” or “Lincoln is destroying our Democracy”.

I've had it with your insane dreck. Onto ignore you go and bad riddance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2020, 04:33:35 PM »

Shut up.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2020, 04:59:15 PM »

Roll Eyes

2/10, way too overdone. You can do better.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2020, 07:00:17 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 01:14:00 AM by GMantis »

I think it's important to note that China's response to this crisis was a total and complete failure.
This is to put it mildly, ridiculous. Their initial response was disastrous but once they took up the necessary measures, they have managed to curtail the infection.
Irrelevant. Beijing dithered for days and chose to cover up community transmission as long as they could. Had the global community known about this sooner, this virus could have been contained more effectively and at a lower cost.
There was plenty of opportunity to act once community transmission became known. In most cases no action was taken for weeks. So you can't transfer all the blame to China for the international spread of the infection.

If you want to see total and complete failure, see Italy. Or much of Europe for that matter

So like what Wuhan looked like for much of January and February? I don't think 67,000 cases and over 3,000 deaths can be called a success.
They acted arguably too late. And compared to what would have happened without a quarantine, it was certainly a great success. At the very least it limited infection outside Hubei. Excluding that province, China has substantially lower infection rates than over 20 European countries and in none of these the infection looks even close to abating.

The authoritarian response - total lockdown; tracking down and containment of all persons in contact with the infected - is the only one that works. The reason this pandemic happened is that it was not implemented soon enough.
Protocols like social distancing, closing shops, and quarantines are not inherently authoritarian. What is authoritarian is shooting people who disobey quarantine orders (like some have proposed here!), clamping down on free movement and reliable information, and cordoning off cities from the rest of the world. All hallmarks of China's response to this panic, save for the first one...I hope.
A quarantine is clamping down on free movement. And as mentioned above, cordoning off Hubei greatly mitigated the infection rate in the rest of the country. You have a point about concealing the epidemic, but this happened in the early stage of the epidemic and it's obviously not one of the features that have helped stop the spread of the disease.

This is the stark face of ideological purity -  ignore the only method that works, because the ideological enemy has used it. But of course you're free to emulate the European response, with its attendant infection rates.

While it is true that nations like Italy did not take action fast enough to prevent a public health emergency, their response is starting to yield fruit. New infections are plateauing one week after the start of their quarantine and the number of new deaths may be beginning to fall.
I don't see much sign of plateauing. As the graphic shows, previous decline of the infection rate have been followed by increases. It's too early to say that this is a permanent trend. Also looking at the Chinese example even if this rate of decline is permanent it could still increase three to four times before it stabilizes.
Anyway Italy employed extensively those methods - limiting freedom of movement and locking down whole cities - that you have condemned as authoritarian. The major difference with China is the delay in acting and the considerably more liberal way of implementing them. And most other European countries have not taken up measures even remotely as severe as Italy's.

So why are you then opposed to measures which would prevent this danger? Not all people are responsible, this is why there are laws to keep them in line. And extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary measures.

This is an extraordinary situation, sure, but we should not run roughshod over the Constitution or legal protections put in place to protect civil liberties. There are already legal provisions for situations that require quarantines.
I can understand this viewpoint, but at least it can't be claimed that these measures don't work.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »

he who feeds you controls you

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »

Someone needs a big hug.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »

Of course we could follow your so called freedom (in real life, your rights to freedom end when they start endangering others) and it would be a major pandemic pretty soon.

And this is in response to the still rather mild measures implemented in the United States? Wounder what you'd be doing if they had resorted to Italian style restrictions? Probably wouldn't be writing here but attempting to start an armed rebellion...

What I really would like would be for you to experience first hand how the minor pandemic looks like in the worst affected area (Bergamo, for example) and then see if you still had the gall to pretend that this is an issue of freedom (in reality, undisguised egoism).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2020, 09:11:00 AM »

At a minimum, that "wake up call" came through loud and clear back on November 8th, 2016, when over 62 million Americans voted for exactly that message from a vile orange clown running a hate-filled medicine show.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »

Of course we could follow your so called freedom (in real life, your rights to freedom end when they start endangering others) and it would be a major pandemic pretty soon.

And this is in response to the still rather mild measures implemented in the United States? Wounder what you'd be doing if they had resorted to Italian style restrictions? Probably wouldn't be writing here but attempting to start an armed rebellion...

What I really would like would be for you to experience first hand how the minor pandemic looks like in the worst affected area (Bergamo, for example) and then see if you still had the gall to pretend that this is an issue of freedom (in reality, undisguised egoism).
Americans have been spoiled by years of comfort and little tragedy (relative to the rest of the World) these attitudes will only make this pandemic worse here. I am starting to feel like this pandemic or something of this caliber in our country was inevitable, years of apathy eventually has a price.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »

I've had it with your insane Chickenschit Little dreck. Onto ignore you go and bad riddance.
Bodies are piling up in Northern Italy as we speak, hospitals are overwhelmed to the brink, and thousands are dying in a few days!!!
You are the real schithead (watch this post get deleted for using the exact same word as you) if you think this isnt a national emergency. America isn’t special, we will all suffer greatly from this apathy and “muh freedom even when people are dying”.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 11:23:27 AM by Green Line »

I've had it with your insane Chickenschit Little dreck. Onto ignore you go and bad riddance.
Bodies are piling up in Northern Italy as we speak, hospitals are overwhelmed to the brink, and thousands are dying in a few days!!!
You are the real schithead (watch this post get deleted for using the exact same word as you) if you think this isnt a national emergency. America isn’t special, we will all suffer greatly from this apathy and “muh freedom even when people are dying”.

Lol.

Over 1,500 Americans die every day of heart disease.  
Over 1,500 Americans die every day of cancer.

Also, just to clarify your misinformation: 2,503 have died in Italy from the virus since the first confirmed case on January 31, 2020.  Please stop trying rile people up by posting misinformation.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »

Lol.

Also, just to clarify your misinformation: 2,503 have died in Italy from the virus since the first confirmed case on January 31, 2020.  Please stop trying rile people up by posting misinformation.
This dude needs to be banned.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:44 AM »

Lol.

At this point, it’s worthless arguing with you or certain other Atlas posters. It’s like shouting at a brick wall.
All I will say is that you all will regret every word you said, mocking us “chickenschits” in a few weeks-a couple of months.
Our healthcare systems will be overloaded to the maximum, people with treatable illnesses and conditions will be turned away just to fight the virus. Your own personal friends, and family members will be affected heavily, some will die. You all will wish you had listened, that America had listened. But it will be too late, and soon, there will be no turning back.
America has chosen to pay a long term heavy price in lieu of a short term pinch.
I hope your freedom makes you all feel better when you are watching family members die from treatable conditions.
(No this is not excessive hyperbole, so don’t label it as such, this is literally happening in Northern Italy right now)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:59 AM »

Lol.

My dude cancer and heart disease are (typically) long-term conditions. Heart disease in particular is something that takes years (including years of various lifestyle conditions) to emerge.

The median COVID death takes about a month. This is a totally nonsensical comparison.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2020, 11:51:25 AM »

Lol.

This dude needs to be banned.

Dude sounds like Ag during 2016. "Muh millions will die if Trump is elected. This is not hyperbole "
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »

I’m struggling to keep my eyes from being permanently rolled to the back of my head by some of the posts in this thread.

Does anyone really believe that the government would want us to be stuck inside our homes for 18 months?

[ x ] Doubt

Lol.

Also, just to clarify your misinformation: 2,503 have died in Italy from the virus since the first confirmed case on January 31, 2020.  Please stop trying rile people up by posting misinformation.

On to ignore you go
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »

Lol.

My dude cancer and heart disease are (typically) long-term conditions. Heart disease in particular is something that takes years (including years of various lifestyle conditions) to emerge.

The median COVID death takes about a month. This is a totally nonsensical comparison.

My biggest problem is that these are presented as fatalistic outcomes for America where no measure is too crazy to enact when we seem to be on an okay path. I think every one of these deaths will be sadder than ordinary for the families (being unable to give an appropriate goodbye and all) and it is already devastating to watch it play out. I would hope that everyone who can is taking the appropriate precautions. I am showering two or three times a day and washing my hands every hour despite rarely coming into contact with anyone.  I hope everyone who can is taking advantage of social distancing. But we have a good handful of high-anxiety people advocating for some truly scary measures who are agitated that not everyone is as hysterical as they are when strong measures have been taken. I have finally come to the conclusion that there is no reassuring them that we can do enough through normal means to minimize the impact.

I fully expect to lose someone close to me during this given the impacted region, and I expect it to be an extremely sad event. But I'm not looking forward to being "owned" by the hysterics for not doing enough.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2020, 12:56:09 PM »

I'll add, Andrew Cuomo is an example of someone doing a great job and taking a very sane, level-headed approach to the situation, more than just about anyone in elective office. It may not be ideal results, but he has struck a good balance in a high-risk area.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »

I'll add, Andrew Cuomo is an example of someone doing a great job and taking a very sane, level-headed approach to the situation, more than just about anyone in elective office. It may not be ideal results, but he has struck a good balance in a high-risk area.
I feel bad for him tbh, I doubt he is getting any sleep nowadays
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »

Assuming the government wants us locked up for over a year like the study from Imperial College recommended, all I can do is quote Patrick Henry:
"Give me liberty or give me death!"

A life without freedom and in total isolation is no life at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies