Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15861 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 28, 2020, 09:12:50 PM »

So I should just shut up and accept the hypocrisy and injustice?  Is that what you're saying?

No, but you shouldn't use it as justification for further high-risk activities that further endanger the public. Make sure you vote against or write to the politicians that have failed you, but do not advocate for spreading the virus with a mentality of "THEY got away with their misdeeds, so therefore other groups should get away with it too. It's only fair." That is a very dangerous attitude, which by the way goes against "law and order" and christian doctrines.

But, again:  There's no scorn from you for the protesters.

It wasn't necessary to protest as they did in the midst of a pandemic.  In the context of a pandemic as awful as you say it was, what has gone on in the streets has been, at best, narcissistic and self-absorbed virtue signaling.  At worst, it has been criminal arson, vandalism, etc.  And you have no condemnation for their behavior, pandemic-wise.
I actually have criticized protestors for not social distancing and not wearing masks, as well as condemned the rioters and looters generally for rioting and looting. Go check my posting history between the murder of George Floyd and about 2(ish) weeks after that. It's all there for you to see if you want to go read it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #351 on: July 28, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »

Besides, regardless of the blatant hypocrisy, even if most people were hypocritical on the issue, does it really matter at this point?
We are seeing record cases each day, and hospitalizations in most states have risen. Some places are even running out of beds.
Can’t we just put aside a political culture war for a couple of months for the good of the country?
Let’s put everything aside for now and focus on the big threat to American lives, the American economy, and our geopolitical standing.
We can return back to an argument, but we sure as f**k can’t return hundreds of thousands of lives and possibly millions with permanent organ scarring.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #352 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:21 PM »

So I should just shut up and accept the hypocrisy and injustice?  Is that what you're saying?

No, but you shouldn't use it as justification for further high-risk activities that further endanger the public. Make sure you vote against or write to the politicians that have failed you, but do not advocate for spreading the virus with a mentality of "THEY got away with their misdeeds, so therefore other groups should get away with it too. It's only fair." That is a very dangerous attitude, which by the way goes against "law and order" and christian doctrines.

It wasn't necessary to protest as they did in the midst of a pandemic.  In the context of a pandemic as awful as you say it was, what has gone on in the streets has been, at best, narcissistic and self-absorbed virtue signaling.  At worst, it has been criminal arson, vandalism, etc.  And you have no condemnation for their behavior, pandemic-wise.
I actually have criticized protestors for not social distancing and not wearing masks, as well as condemned the rioters and looters generally for rioting and looting. Go check my posting history between the murder of George Floyd and about 2(ish) weeks after that. It's all there for you to see if you want to go read it.

I believe you have, but that's not good enough.  When you are asking people to risk their entire livelihoods by locking down while abortion clinics and pot dispensaries stay open, that's just not good enough.  It's you favoring who you agree with.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #353 on: July 28, 2020, 10:14:47 PM »

I believe you have, but that's not good enough.  When you are asking people to risk their entire livelihoods by locking down while abortion clinics and pot dispensaries stay open, that's just not good enough.  It's you favoring who you agree with.
Counter-point: you were asking people to risk their entire family's lives by not locking down while the virus was in a critical stage of exponential growth.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #354 on: July 28, 2020, 11:10:25 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2020, 11:14:33 PM by The Flying Dulishman »

I believe you have, but that's not good enough.  When you are asking people to risk their entire livelihoods by locking down while abortion clinics and pot dispensaries stay open, that's just not good enough.  It's you favoring who you agree with.

To be fair, abortion clinics are providing necessary medical services that must be performed within a specific time frame, and pot dispensaries can deliver to people's homes. It's not quite the same as something like a hair salon or a restaurant, both of which provide non-essential services which require people to sit indoors for long stretches of time. So there are arguments for keeping both of those services open that don't factor in political positions on the types of services they provide.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #355 on: August 22, 2021, 08:16:36 PM »

Counter-point: you were asking people to risk their entire family's lives by not locking down while the virus was in a critical stage of exponential growth.

The lockdowns were not to "save people's lives".  They were to "flatten the curve" to reduce the spread of COVID-19 so we wouldn't tank the healthcare system.  Not tanking the healthcare system is a noble goal, but authoritarian measures were made permanent long after the pressure on the healthcare system was alleviated. It wasn't about that. 

This disease is not the Bubonic Plague and it's beyond dishonest to preset it as if it were.  It's a flu pandemic. That's serious, and the Spanish and Hong Kong flu epidemics were serious events, but those events were not reason to turn the world upside down.  If elites in America had not been so desperate to make people miserable so they could motivate them to vote Trump out, most of the measures enacted would not have been.  Enough of the politics.  Trump is gone and you've gotten what you want.  The authoritarian responses need to end, period.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »

All we need is just one year of lockdowns, then this entire thing will be a uncomfortable blip dimming by the month. Come on people…
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2021, 08:58:29 PM »

It's clear that in future pandemics, strict border controls and temporary strong measures to reduce social contact (to contain the initial outbreak) are the best way to maximize freedom, economic growth and of course prevent mass death. It is a tragedy that over 600,000 people have died in the US of Covid, and it didn't have to be this way.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2021, 10:28:12 PM »

This disease isn't like the HIV or Cancer that attacks the T Cells, it's also not like the flu or Common cold, it's exactly like TB and Hepatitis C, where it's a disease that attack red blood cells that's not deadly, but it's a disease very much like Hepititis that's spreader thru Homeless people not normal contact, that's why we can't get rid of it

Shelters for the most part including Salvation Army only take you in detrimental situations, but their FOOD PANTRIES ARE OPEN, THATS WE STILL NEED A STIMULUS STATES MAKE YOU HAVE eITC in order to qualify, whereas UBI you don't need EITC

Before there was Covid, we had a TB epidemic and certain jobs wanted you TB tested, what do people not get about not being vaccinated, we are constantly around homeless people because Politicians give immigrants Section 8 vouchers and they don't want to give you a Fed or state or city jobs guarentee, they want you to work factory jobs, below your skill and try for private sector

That's why they have job shortages, everyone don't want to be like before work a low wage jobs
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #359 on: August 23, 2021, 12:01:37 AM »

It's clear that in future pandemics, strict border controls and temporary strong measures to reduce social contact (to contain the initial outbreak) are the best way to maximize freedom, economic growth and of course prevent mass death. It is a tragedy that over 600,000 people have died in the US of Covid, and it didn't have to be this way.

Trump was quick to shut down travel from China, but the problem was he was slow to shut it down from Europe.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2021, 12:20:06 AM »

The lockdowns were not to "save people's lives".  They were to "flatten the curve" to reduce the spread of COVID-19 so we wouldn't tank the healthcare system.  Not tanking the healthcare system is a noble goal, but authoritarian measures were made permanent long after the pressure on the healthcare system was alleviated. It wasn't about that. 

This disease is not the Bubonic Plague and it's beyond dishonest to preset it as if it were.  It's a flu pandemic. That's serious, and the Spanish and Hong Kong flu epidemics were serious events, but those events were not reason to turn the world upside down.  If elites in America had not been so desperate to make people miserable so they could motivate them to vote Trump out, most of the measures enacted would not have been.  Enough of the politics.  Trump is gone and you've gotten what you want.  The authoritarian responses need to end, period.

This just proves what i've been thinking: You literally think everything Democrats do is to persecute Trump.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2021, 01:31:55 AM »

So I should just shut up and accept the hypocrisy and injustice?  Is that what you're saying?

But, again:  There's no scorn from you for the protesters.

It wasn't necessary to protest as they did in the midst of a pandemic.  In the context of a pandemic as awful as you say it was, what has gone on in the streets has been, at best, narcissistic and self-absorbed virtue signaling.  At worst, it has been criminal arson, vandalism, etc.  And you have no condemnation for their behavior, pandemic-wise.

they won't bc your average american is a bad person and/or conformist and media poisoned enough to be a covid hawk...

really, the stereotypes people have about china being an anthill probably apply to the us better

too bad the us rules the world so there's no sizeable countries that aren't doing this kind of idiocy or aren't legitimitely worse than the us in government/quality of life :/
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #362 on: August 23, 2021, 02:00:26 AM »

The world isn't "turned upside down."

My life has been pretty much entirely back to normal since I got the vaccine 4 months ago.

I'm not traveling internationally, and I'm not clubbing.  Sometimes I have to wear a mask when I go into places, which never bothered me.

Like grow up you absolute pussies.  Stop acting like it's the damn apocalypse.  Stop acting like the current situation is at all comparable to the strict lockdowns from the beginning of the pandemic.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #363 on: August 23, 2021, 03:12:43 AM »

My life has been pretty much entirely back to normal since I got the vaccine 4 months ago.

I'm not traveling internationally, and I'm not clubbing.  Sometimes I have to wear a mask when I go into places, which never bothered me.

Like grow up you absolute pussies.  Stop acting like it's the damn apocalypse.  Stop acting like the current situation is at all comparable to the strict lockdowns from the beginning of the pandemic.

Starting the last paragraph with "Like grow up" is a bit ironic given that it doesn't exactly ooze with maturity.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #364 on: August 23, 2021, 03:21:25 AM »

I'd agree with that if more people now weren't calling to return to the extreme measures. New "recommendations" that I'm reading sound exactly like what we were being told at the beginning of the pandemic.

Here are the Lane County public health recommendations:

-Wear masks in indoor spaces with other individuals outside of your immediate household.
-Wear masks in outdoor spaces when maintaining six feet of distance is not possible from other individuals outside of your immediate household.
-Carry masks and hand sanitizer with you when leaving home and wash your hands as often as possible.
-Avoid crowded public spaces, whether in or outdoors.
-Avoid unnecessary business or leisure travel.
-Respect other’s space and maintain at least 6 feet distance from others.
-Limit activities that could lead to injuries requiring hospital care.
-If you are an unvaccinated adult, stay home and avoid public interactions as much as possible.
-Get vaccinated.

Apart from the "get vaccinated" part this seems totally unchanged from March 2020. And this is a new guideline by the way. Indoor masks are one thing but outdoor masks are totally ridiculous, and I don't want to hear the words 6 foot distance ever again.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #365 on: August 23, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »

There are... quite a few poorly aged takes in this thread.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »

Health departments: “Hey guys Delta is looking concerning. We aren’t going to make you do anything but could you guys please not be idiots for a few weeks?”

MB: “Literally North Korea.”
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #367 on: August 23, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »

Health departments: “Hey guys Delta is looking concerning. We aren’t going to make you do anything but could you guys please not be idiots for a few weeks?”

I’m sorry but we don’t want to live in an authoritarian state like Australia has become .

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #368 on: August 23, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »

And on the other hand, some have aged like fine wine.

Green Line was right.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #369 on: August 23, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »

And on the other hand, some have aged like fine wine.

Green Line was right.
Yeah, rightfully mocked.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #370 on: August 23, 2021, 12:45:21 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2021, 12:57:00 PM by Resist Anarchy! »

I’m sorry but we don’t want to live in an authoritarian state like Australia has become .

The brutal Morrison regime.
Even worse than Maoist China.

I assume this is OSR POV?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #371 on: August 23, 2021, 01:19:05 PM »

Being better than Mao isnt saying anything
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #372 on: August 23, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »

This is what Forumlurker wants the US to be like that
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #373 on: August 23, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »

Being better than Mao isnt saying anything
This joke is like sensible fiscal policy with you. It went in one ear and right out the other.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #374 on: August 23, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »

Lol
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies