Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:31:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15954 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »

Lawsuits Swell as Owners, From Gun Shops to Golf Courses, Demand to Open
Some of those suing their state governments seek redress for specific, local grievances, as with the golf course or in a similar suit in Pennsylvania being pursued by a company that says it is the country’s oldest manufacturer of orchestra-quality bells and chimes. Those lawsuits and one in Arizona are rooted in the Fifth Amendment, which requires due process and guarantees compensation for property seized by the government.

Other constitutional amendments have been invoked in several lawsuits in recent weeks attempting to force open gun stores, or to argue that measures to curb the virus should not outweigh rights like freedom of assembly and religion.

Americans arguing for the right to commit societal suicide by greed and mass murder by stupidity is so perfectly in character. As a nation, we worship at the altar of Mammon, sacrificing our selves and the lives of our fellow human beings.
yeah, screw the constitution!
If China deploys their entire army, navy and air force to destroy America starting with LA and NYC, and Trump refuses to fight back, and the congress will not force Trump to do anything, are you going to cry and scream when the YS military goes against the Constitution and defends the citizens? REAL life and death emergency situations - not political "emergencies" like Trump's border wall - require bending of the rules sometimes unfortunately to make sure Americans don't die.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2020, 06:35:38 PM »

If China deploys their entire army, navy and air force to destroy America starting with LA and NYC, and Trump refuses to fight back, and the congress will not force Trump to do anything, are you going to cry and scream when the YS military goes against the Constitution and defends the citizens? REAL life and death emergency situations - not political "emergencies" like Trump's border wall - require bending of the rules sometimes unfortunately to make sure Americans don't die.
authoritarians are going to authoritate, but that's ok, we need people on all sides of a position.

also, do you think the US military needs the POTUSs go ahead to defend the country?  'cause that would be weird thing to believe.

(also also, what is "YS military")
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »

authoritarians are going to authoritate, but that's ok, we need people on all sides of a position.

also, do you think the US military needs the POTUSs go ahead to defend the country?  'cause that would be weird thing to believe.

(also also, what is "YS military")
I'm only an emergency-time authoritarian. North Americans are too willfully ignorant, narcissistic and stupid to do what is in tbe best interests of their communities in extreme life and death scenarios.

Doesn't the Commander In Chief get to order the military to stand down if he wants to?

YS military is me having big fingers and typing on a small-ish smartphone screen without autocorrect.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2020, 06:56:57 PM »

I'm only an emergency-time authoritarian. North Americans are too willfully ignorant, narcissistic and stupid to do what is in tbe best interests of their communities in extreme life and death scenarios.
isn't the per capita rate still way higher in the hardest hit European countries?  Are we more willfully ignorant, narcissistic and stupid than they are?
Doesn't the Commander In Chief get to order the military to stand down if he wants to?
I suppose he could, but do you think the Field Commanders would listen?  I don't think they would.
YS military is me having big fingers and typing on a small-ish smartphone screen without autocorrect.
ahh, my bad, I should have figured that out.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »

isn't the per capita rate still way higher in the hardest hit European countries?  Are we more willfully ignorant, narcissistic and stupid than they are?
I suppose he could, but do you think the Field Commanders would listen?  I don't think they would.
ahh, my bad, I should have figured that out.
1 - Europe might be too ignorant and narcissistic, I'm not sure. North America definitely is though.

2 - That's my point dead0. When the field commanders disobey, are you.going to criticize them for going against the constitution? I certainly will not.

3 - No worries dude.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2020, 06:56:16 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2020, 07:00:02 PM by Green Line »

Lori Lightfoot: Do as I say, not as I do.  Hey, we're all in this together, remember that 🙄🙄🙄

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2020/4/6/21211314/getting-roots-done-not-essential-getting-hair-cut-mayor-lightfoot

Even though the state has shut down all salons and barbers as "non-essential" and Lori is threatening people in Chicago with misdemeanors for leaving their homes, apparently the rules don't apply to her.  She needed a haircut.

“I’m in the public every day. And candidly, my hair was not looking the way it did. I thought maybe I’d do it myself, but I knew that would be disaster,”

"I take my personal hygiene very seriously. I felt like I needed to have a haircut. I’m not able to do that myself. So, I got a haircut. Want to talk more about that?”

Shockingly out of touch.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2020, 07:33:04 PM »

my home town, Alton IL
Alton Police have issued a number of citations after busting a gathering at a downtown bar that has allegedly been operating in spite of the executive order from the state banning such activity. A criminal complaint for Reckless Conduct, a Class A Misdemeanor charge, was signed against every person found gathering at the bar. Among those was the wife of Alton Mayor Brant Walker.
doh!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:14 PM »

Hey, at least she was held accountable.  More than we can say for Chicago.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2020, 09:35:48 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2020, 09:44:51 AM by lfromnj »

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/sf-police-issue-first-citation-for-violating-stay-at-home-order-to-abortion-protester/?fbclid=IwAR0ArKzlS5lYtEYv_1ydGf4iWITGMXlrU9SFUBgYJFG_Ot9p2yN6gBNID5M
Seems weird the First citation was for an abortion protestor, Suspicious at the least and could show abuse of the order to go against certain types of speech, although not certain.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/sf-police-issue-first-citation-for-violating-stay-at-home-order-to-abortion-protester/?fbclid=IwAR0ArKzlS5lYtEYv_1ydGf4iWITGMXlrU9SFUBgYJFG_Ot9p2yN6gBNID5M
Seems weird the First citation was for an abortion protestor, Suspicious at the least and could show abuse of the order to go against certain types of speech, although not certain.

Literally warned on Wednesday before being ticketed on Thursday. But yeah, "suspicious" indeed. Roll Eyes
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2020, 11:01:09 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2020, 11:08:22 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

We had Bernie Sanders protesters driving around City Hall repeatedly last week and blasting their horns. Didn't see anything happen to them for failing to Stay at Home.

(They were issued moving violations for intentionally blocking the roadway. But nothing to do with the SaH order while they were hanging out their cars.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #311 on: April 07, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2020, 05:02:31 PM by lfromnj »

Literally warned on Wednesday before being ticketed on Thursday. But yeah, "suspicious" indeed. Roll Eyes

Yes the fact that a 90% Liberal county's FIRST citation for violating an order is against a Conservative position seems suspicious, im not saying the guy wasn't dumb and under equal application of the law he would obviously still be cited, but the fact its the first one is still a bit suspicious to me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #312 on: April 07, 2020, 04:41:51 PM »

We had Bernie Sanders protesters driving around City Hall repeatedly last week and blasting their horns. Didn't see anything happen to them for failing to Stay at Home.

(They were issued moving violations for intentionally blocking the roadway. But nothing to do with the SaH order while they were hanging out their cars.)

The mayor didn't announce prosecution for further violations of the stay-away order, after one warning, until Friday. Since you said this occurred last week, presumably it was prior to Friday, or if on Friday constituted their one warning (just like this protester received).

Still, I may be pro-choice, but I'm also a big believer in civil rights and the existence of selective prosecution, even buy left-wing governments. Reading this story it smells like a very fishy prosecution.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #313 on: April 07, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »

Dude, really?

Total BS arrest, for which these cops deserve seriously disciplined/ suspended, if not fired, depending on their prior disciplinary history (or lack thereof). I too am seriously angry watching this video and reading the story, as the cops were unquestionably outside the boundaries of the law here.

But hoping that they wind up on ventilators? Get some perspective.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #314 on: April 07, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2020, 04:57:18 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

The mayor didn't announce prosecution for further violations of the stay-away order, after one warning, until Friday. Since you said this occurred last week, presumably it was prior to Friday, or if on Friday constituted their one warning (just like this protester received).

Still, I may be pro-choice, but I'm also a big believer in civil rights and the existence of selective prosecution, even buy left-wing governments. Reading this story it smells like a very fishy prosecution.

It happened on Saturday. The one time I was outside in the last ten days. I wouldn't think being in a vehicle exempts you given the number of videos I have seen of people yelling at people from cruising around neighborhoods just for the sake of driving.

On the other matter - they are the ones violating all social distancing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »

Dude, really?

Total BS arrest, for which these cops deserve seriously disciplined/ suspended, if not fired, depending on their prior disciplinary history (or lack thereof). I too am seriously angry watching this video and reading the story, as the cops were unquestionably outside the boundaries of the law here.

this is what happens when you call the cops, which is why I find it so weird how happy so many people are in the other thread to proudly call the cops on everybody they see breaking quarantine.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2020, 11:43:53 PM »

Dude, really?

this is what happens when you call the cops, which is why I find it so weird how happy so many people are in the other thread to proudly call the cops on everybody they see breaking quarantine.

No, that is incorrect. This is what happens when you call the cops and the cops happen to be completely incompetent.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #317 on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:10 PM »

Nice personal attack.
After telling me my tone is disgusting, Sprouts really is showing me how to be a “better” person.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #318 on: April 29, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »

Bumping this thread because it is obvious these fears are coming to fruition. Our civil rights and liberties are quickly eroding in both the U.S. and around the world.  Our freedom to travel has ceased and our activities are being monitored. People are being arrested and charged for attending drive thru churches, gathering in private homes, walking in parks, etc. Governments are encouraging citizens to "snitch" on neighbors and friends and many are doing so. People are largely obeying unconstitutional orders and are not resisting, but for how much longer?  You can see freedom protests are gaining momentum across the U.S. as more and more people wake up to the tyranny. There is little doubt in my mind at this point that the Democrats only claim to care about democracy and freedom to get votes.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #319 on: April 29, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »

Bumping this thread because it is obvious these fears are coming to fruition. Our civil rights and liberties are quickly eroding in both the U.S. and around the world.  Our freedom to travel has ceased and our activities are being monitored.

Donald Trump: ban all Muslims entering US

Bush Says He Ordered Domestic Spying

Welcome to The Resistance!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2020, 10:15:01 PM »

Bumping this thread because it is obvious these fears are coming to fruition. Our civil rights and liberties are quickly eroding in both the U.S. and around the world.  Our freedom to travel has ceased and our activities are being monitored. People are being arrested and charged for attending drive thru churches, gathering in private homes, walking in parks, etc. Governments are encouraging citizens to "snitch" on neighbors and friends and many are doing so. People are largely obeying unconstitutional orders and are not resisting, but for how much longer?  You can see freedom protests are gaining momentum across the U.S. as more and more people wake up to the tyranny. There is little doubt in my mind at this point that the Democrats only claim to care about democracy and freedom to get votes.

I stand with Rick Savage.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2020, 10:20:09 PM »

Your liberties do not extend into the lungs of others. Rick Savage should be fined and/or locked up for endangering public safety.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2020, 11:13:58 PM »

I stand with Rick Savage.
Well if there is any justice in the World, he won’t be able to stand when he develops ARDS.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #323 on: July 26, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/compliance-would-be-disobedience-prominent-california-church-defies-state-lockdown-to-resume-in-person-assembly

The pastor and elders of a prominent evangelical church in California issued a statement on Friday explaining why they will no longer comply with the state’s mandate ordering them to refrain from in-person gatherings.

John F. MacArthur, the 81-year-old senior pastor of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California, also claimed that the state had overstepped its legitimate, God-given authority. Citing Christ and the Bible as the ultimate authority over his congregation, MacArthur wrote in the lengthy blog post replete with scripture that “we cannot and will not acquiesce to a government-imposed moratorium on our weekly congregational worship or other regular corporate gatherings. Compliance would be disobedience to our Lord’s clear commands.”

https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B200723

The biblical order is clear: Christ is Lord over Caesar, not vice versa. Christ, not Caesar, is head of the church. Conversely, the church does not in any sense rule the state. Again, these are distinct kingdoms, and Christ is sovereign over both. Neither church nor state has any higher authority than that of Christ Himself, who declared, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18).

Notice that we are not making a constitutional argument, even though the First Amendment of the United States Constitution expressly affirms this principle in its opening words: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” The right we are appealing to was not created by the Constitution. It is one of those unalienable rights granted solely by God, who ordained human government and establishes both the extent and the limitations of the state's authority (Romans 13:1–7). Our argument therefore is purposely not grounded in the First Amendment; it is based on the same biblical principles that the Amendment itself is founded upon. The exercise of true religion is a divine duty given to men and women created in God’s image (Genesis 1:26–27; Acts 4:18–20; 5:29; cf. Matthew 22:16–22). In other words, freedom of worship is a command of God, not a privilege granted by the state.

Amen to all of this.  God Bless John MacArthur.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #324 on: July 26, 2020, 07:01:05 PM »

The bible says  (paraphrasing here) that it's better to pray in private instead of virtue signalling your religiousness to others. Jesus would almost certainly in these times advocate for private / family prayer and phone / text / email / video chat / streaming with your pastor and congregation.

Why does MacArthur ignore all of this and put his local community at risk? Why are you cheerleading this?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies