Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15950 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 20, 2020, 04:21:05 AM »

No one will EVER prevent me from attending mass obligations for any reason. If Pennsylvania instituted this, I will flee to New Jersey or Virginia. If all churches complied and locked their doors, I will livestream from outside the church. If anyone tried to stop me and others from fulfilling that obligation as best I can, I will have to start exercising my other rights.

Does this sound like a serious comment of yours?
You describe your commitment to your religion, and then end it by saying that you may need to possibly shoot people.
WTF is that? What level of morality is in your soul?
I didnt even know you were religious. Is this another (poor) troll attempt from you?
And if you are religious (Christian I assume), shame on you for wanting to "exercise your other rights," just because you cant go to mass.

I have never missed mass and never intend to. No one will infringe on that right. It seems the churches are closed up and down the east coast. Standing outside and streaming it is.

Off-topic, but what even is the point of this?

I know going to mass is important to many religious people, but if churches are closed, what even is the point of leaving to go to church? You can stream a mass just as well from your PC.

In fact, if lockdowns are imposed you would be fined for doing that if caught, as "going to the door of the church" is most definitely not going to be an exception
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2020, 05:27:03 AM »

I agree with the economic arguments here. But, there is still most freedom of movement in the countries under lockdown. Unless people feel like having to print a document to show authorities, at most, is equivalent to living in a dictatorial regime, the conspiratorial hysteria is unwarranted.

I actually live under lockdown right now. You can only leave your home for work (if you are one of the few who still have it), to buy groceries and that is pretty much it.

That is most definitely not freedom of movement; and it's probably worse than even most dictatorships out there

Yep same here

And yeah agreed
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2020, 05:37:34 AM »

Let’s be honest here, a large number of the “anti-authoritarian” posters who are against these lockdown measures seem more concerned about inconveniences to their own lives as opposed to actual authoritarianism. That isn’t everyone, but some posters definitely seem to be more concerned about themselves than, well, authoritarianism.
can you point one out?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:38 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2020, 07:42:47 AM by Lechasseur »

China's recovery is FAKE NEWS

https://news.yahoo.com/chinas-coronavirus-recovery-fake-whistleblowers-191300391.html
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »

To save the family, abandon a man;
To save the village, abandon a family;
To save the country, abandon a village;
To save the soul, abandon the Earth.

Vyasa - Hindu tradition.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2020, 09:24:44 AM »

Let’s be honest here, a large number of the “anti-authoritarian” posters who are against these lockdown measures seem more concerned about inconveniences to their own lives as opposed to actual authoritarianism. That isn’t everyone, but some posters definitely seem to be more concerned about themselves than, well, authoritarianism.

I am 100% chilling here lol and not super upset about current circumstances at a personal level but more worried as a whole.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2020, 09:28:45 AM »

can you point one out?

I'm sure they would consider that person to be me since I am using examples of basics freedoms from my own life despite being quite authoritarian myself. What they repeatedly fail to acknowledge is that I am practicing social distancing and maximum hygiene to a rather extreme degree already (unlike anyone else in my community) because I am quite panicked about the exponential growth. I don't intend to make contact with anybody! I have generally refused to leave my house except when my own health/life calls me to go within a one mile radius. I have cancelled two trips. I know I can't see anyone in my family for at least a couple months and likely more because my parents are the sole caretakers for their parents (plus a great aunt who lost her visiting nurse for this crisis). I have ten relatives in their 80s that I see with regularity based in New York City of all places, and I am certain I will never get to say goodbye to multiple - not to mention their children with compromised immune systems.

They act as if I am a careless zoomer on spring break because they can't handle even the tiniest bit of disagreement.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »

I agree with the economic arguments here. But, there is still most freedom of movement in the countries under lockdown. Unless people feel like having to print a document to show authorities, at most, is equivalent to living in a dictatorial regime, the conspiratorial hysteria is unwarranted.

I actually live under lockdown right now. You can only leave your home for work (if you are one of the few who still have it), to buy groceries and that is pretty much it.

That is most definitely not freedom of movement; and it's probably worse than even most dictatorships out there

You can not be serious with that kind of absurd comment (in bold above).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #258 on: March 20, 2020, 02:16:49 PM »

You can not be serious with that kind of absurd comment (in bold above).

Most dictatorships actually let you leave your house under normal circumstances. Not all do, but even most dictators of the world will actually let their citizens move around freely.

Of course, this is all under normal circumstances.
enderpotato00
United States

« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2020, 04:35:22 AM »

Its fine if they suggest us to work from home. That makes sense to slow the spread of the virus. But to point a gun and force someone in their home is wrong. Enough said.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »

Perhaps the most disturbing development has been the slobbering over China's response to the pandemic, as if a lying, authoritarian government with no respect for human rights were in any way preferable to our own.

The stuff that I'm hearing on NPR, CNN and other media outlets is unbelievable. In a few years, we're going to look back on it with disbelief. The Chinese Communist Party is in the midst of a global propaganda campaign and they are acting as its mouthpiece.

To be clear: China's response to the pandemic is in no way an exemplar. They have not even been transparent enough to distinguish truth from fiction. Anyone telling you otherwise is at best an unwitting stooge.

By all means, order takeout from your local Chinese place and do what you can to silence any knee-jerk racism. But it shouldn't be hard to see what the larger threat is right now.

Those media outlets, and the BBC and the European press, have 'no choice' but to follow the Chinese party line ("no new cases in Mainland China"). They would be expelled from China and Hong Kong just like NYT, Washington Post and WSJ have been if they didn't.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2020, 01:07:56 AM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2020, 01:15:28 AM »

Read the article and most of it is pretty bad but lol at us rejecting asylum seekers with coronavirus.
Anyway I was just fear mongering of course and nothing bad could ever happen during emergencies.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »

Perhaps the most disturbing development has been the slobbering over China's response to the pandemic, as if a lying, authoritarian government with no respect for human rights were in any way preferable to our own.

The stuff that I'm hearing on NPR, CNN and other media outlets is unbelievable. In a few years, we're going to look back on it with disbelief. The Chinese Communist Party is in the midst of a global propaganda campaign and they are acting as its mouthpiece.

To be clear: China's response to the pandemic is in no way an exemplar. They have not even been transparent enough to distinguish truth from fiction. Anyone telling you otherwise is at best an unwitting stooge.

By all means, order takeout from your local Chinese place and do what you can to silence any knee-jerk racism. But it shouldn't be hard to see what the larger threat is right now.

^^^^

Thank you.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2020, 04:41:56 PM »

Those media outlets, and the BBC and the European press, have 'no choice' but to follow the Chinese party line ("no new cases in Mainland China"). They would be expelled from China and Hong Kong just like NYT, Washington Post and WSJ have been if they didn't.

Both the major German and French language papers here had fairly prominent articles criticising the response in China today. It's not as if Europe itself doesn't also have a large and diverse media environment. I would be careful abuot casting generalisation about what the media in languages you don't understand might or might not be saying.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »

https://www.lalibre.be/debats/opinions/depuis-hong-kong-je-suis-ahurie-d-entendre-les-autorites-continuer-d-affirmer-que-le-masque-ne-sert-a-presque-rien-5e7728699978e201d8c94b71?fbclid=IwAR3r-0aYUvny7C1cJKyP7r4twLnhMpJiPqBjS-69ZIbVFmqpDnU-0SJlzYs

Very interesting. This article is a must read imo. You should all Google Translate it.

According to this French journalist in Hong Kong, Asia managed to contain the virus NOT THROUGH LOCKDOWN but THROUGH WEARING MASKS.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2020, 05:45:59 PM »

Yeah, now we're wading into disturbing territory. I wouldn't put it past this administration. Maybe their handling of this pandemic will finally be met with more disapproval though...yeah, probably not...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/23/texas-stops-most-abortions-during-coronavirus-outbreak/
Im not particular about abortion itself being a right but it is a right according to the supreme court, and we shouldn't be breaking rights like that.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »

Yeah I’m telling you guys: political leaders, pundits, all of the instant Coronavirus experts are lying to you and/or don’t know what they’re talking about.

It’s scary how many people will accept fascistic actions as long as people they trust tell them that it’s the right thing to do. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t take the Coronavirus seriously (it’s alarming and we don’t have a handle on it and the effects on the economy, society, etc. will be lasting); what I’m saying is that don’t so willingly surrender your rights to people who are NOT interested in combating the coronavirus epidemic so much as using as an opportunity to take people’s freedoms away.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »

they trying to close the gun dealers down, with mixed results

Some states are making exceptions for gun dealers in the "shutdown" orders(IL,OH,MI), some are not and have been getting push back from the good guys and have made changes to include exceptions for gun dealers (CA,PA...NJ is still in the courts) and some have not mentioned gun dealers at all (NY,MA,DC) and others only list "sporting goods" stores as exceptions (MN,MD).

Also, there were 4 times as many background checks this March vs last March.  Covid 19 is almost a good at selling guns as Obama was.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2020, 09:21:04 PM »

Ironic that the administration that wants this is the same one saying this will be over and the economy can turn back in in a few weeks
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2020, 09:22:19 PM »

I wish we had an “authoritarian” response ten days ago when this was posted. Looks like freedom doesn’t cure Covid-19, who knew?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »

I wish we had an “authoritarian” response ten days ago when this was posted. Looks like freedom doesn’t cure Covid-19, who knew?
Who care
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »

What are you even talking about?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies