Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:56:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Author Topic: Resist The Authoritarian Response To The Coronavirus  (Read 15890 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2020, 10:38:41 PM »

Assuming the government wants us locked up for over a year like the study from Imperial College recommended, all I can do is quote Patrick Henry:
"Give me liberty or give me death!"

A life without freedom and in total isolation is no life at all.

You don't have the freedom to give other people death.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2020, 10:39:05 PM »

Assuming the government wants us locked up for over a year like the study from Imperial College recommended, all I can do is quote Patrick Henry:
"Give me liberty or give me death!"

A life without freedom and in total isolation is no life at all.
Quarantine-violating traitors will be shot on sight.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2020, 10:40:44 PM »

A year is probably way overboard.
Let’s just keep the lockdown for 8 weeks and then reassess the situation.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2020, 10:41:19 PM »

You're really a bunch of brainwashed cucks aren't you?

Do you really accept being locked up at home for 18 months?

My God, this is how totaltarianism starts
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2020, 10:44:06 PM »

PTemporary partial totalitarianism is NORMAL is a NATIONAL EMERGENCY situation.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »

I don't usually say things like this, but those of you decrying the "authoritarian" response are nuts.

Give the government control to totally shut down your social life, keep you indoors, etc and good luck ever putting that back into its box.  Our freedoms are a lot more important than a virus with a 2% fataility rate.  Sorry, I said it.  I mean it.

Would you support doing this for something as deadly as smallpox (>20% fatality rate, overwhelming majority of population likely to be infected if no action taken)?  For something like the 1300's Black Death (>50% total fatality rate, 30-60% for more common bubonic type, >90% for less common pneumonic type, also likely to spread throughout the population)?  Or not at all?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2020, 10:47:36 PM »

Also, we really can’t go off of one study that says 18 months is needed.
As bad as this virus is, it still is not that hard to defeat. What we need is 2 months of Wuhan style lockdown across the country, and gradual easing of restrictions afterwards. During those two months, a ****ton of resources must go into testing and isolating any new cases.
Afterwards we must conduct large scale testing to check for clusters, and contain those areas as needed while allowing the rest of the country to get back to work.
Once we reduce the number of cases, we can go the Singapore/South Korea containment route.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2020, 10:48:52 PM »

“Temporary partial totalitarianism”. 😂😂😂😂😂

Keep telling yourself that, you poor naive child.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2020, 10:49:11 PM »

We're going to lose two years of our lives, we'll all be mentally ill at the end of this and their won't be any jobs at the end of this! We'll end up in homeless shelters at the end! Is that worth it?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2020, 10:49:47 PM »

What of the collective freedom of us all?

How are you free if you're elderly & a random infected person decides to go out & about willy-nilly & infect each & every person in their path, who will then go on to infect more & more people, who will then go on to infect even more & more people, & so on?

How are you free if you're immunocompromised & can't do anything to stop people from giving you this virus?

You don't have the freedom to sentence neither the elderly nor immunocompromised to suffer & potentially even die because, unlike you, society as a whole actually gives a rat's ass about preserving the collective freedom & has decided that more freedom is preserved by restricting your right to spread this virus than it is to allow it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »

We're going to lose two years of our lives, we'll all be mentally ill at the end of this and their won't be any jobs at the end of this! We'll end up in homeless shelters at the end! Is that worth it?
We won't all be mentally ill and despite a high unemployment rate there will be many jobs. Governments have already commited im some countries to delaying and cancelling evictions and mortgage defaults. You are fake news.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2020, 10:51:42 PM »

Off topic, but it’s kind of interesting how Biden supporters are simultaneously both the most, and least supportive of these shutdown measures.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2020, 10:55:12 PM »

Off topic, but it’s kind of interesting how Biden supporters are simultaneously both the most, and least supportive of these shutdown measures.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2020, 10:55:26 PM »

We won't all be mentally ill and despite a high unemployment rate there will be many jobs. Governments have already commited im some countries to delaying and cancelling evictions and mortgage defaults. You are fake news.

Im sure cancelling evictions and mortgage defaulting for 18 months will have absolutely no ill effects.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2020, 10:55:26 PM »

I am hopeful we can switch to more intermediate measures in 2-3 months.  Hopefully there is a middle ground even if normal life can't return until there's a vaccine.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2020, 10:55:34 PM »

It's literally happened hundreds of times, for example World War 2 (UK, Allied France) and 9/11 (just at the NYC local level).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2020, 10:56:34 PM »

I am hopeful we can switch to more intermediate measures in 2-3 months.  Hopefully there is a middle ground even if normal life can't return until there's a vaccine.
Honestly we probably can if things start to look better.
It’s good to have restrictive measures now, but eventually we will have to return to the workplace, even if in a slightly modified manner.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »

Nobody is seriously talking about a 18-month lockdown. That would obviously be unenforceable as well as being, yes, more economically ruinous than our society can reasonably afford.

The virus will probably stay with us for 18 months or longer, but what we're trying to do here is get through the peak of the infection, and do so gradually enough that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. There are many estimates of how long that will take, but to my knowledge it shouldn't be more than a couple months.

However, for it to actually work, we need to go on lockdown right now. This means people need to quit being babies or LARPing as brave rebels, suck it up, and stay home for a few months. It also means the state should provide immediate economic relief to everyone who needs it. If we're actually serious enough to do this thing, we'll be able to go back to our daily lives soon and minimize deaths as much as possible. If not, then whatever happens next is something we'll have brought onto ourselves.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2020, 10:59:58 PM »

It's literally happened hundreds of times, for example World War 2 (UK, Allied France) and 9/11 (just at the NYC local level).
“It’s Roosevelt, not Hitler, the World should fear!” -Libertarians/right wingers in the 1940’s
“It’s the government, not Covid, the World should fear!” -Libertarians/right wingers now.
Don’t worry, this is nothing new.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2020, 11:12:38 PM »

Im sure cancelling evictions and mortgage defaulting for 18 months will have absolutely no ill effects.

Yeah, 18 months would basically wipe out the country's economy. I'm hoping this only lasts a few weeks, but time will tell.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:36 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2020, 11:22:16 PM by Green Line »

Nobody is seriously talking about a 18-month lockdown. That would obviously be unenforceable as well as being, yes, more economically ruinous than our society can reasonably afford.

The virus will probably stay with us for 18 months or longer, but what we're trying to do here is get through the peak of the infection, and do so gradually enough that hospitals aren't overwhelmed. There are many estimates of how long that will take, but to my knowledge it shouldn't be more than a couple months.

However, for it to actually work, we need to go on lockdown right now. This means people need to quit being babies or LARPing as brave rebels, suck it up, and stay home for a few months. It also means the state should provide immediate economic relief to everyone who needs it. If we're actually serious enough to do this thing, we'll be able to go back to our daily lives soon and minimize deaths as much as possible. If not, then whatever happens next is something we'll have brought onto ourselves.

“Stay home for a few months”.

Really, really privileged quote there Anthony.  People CANNOT stay home for a few months.  They will die,  in far far greater numbers than you can ever imagine.  We will have mass starvation and civil unrest.  You may be able to stay home for a few months, and good for you.  By all means do so if you feel it necessary.

And btw we have a bill of rights, including freedom of religion. Good luck trying to stop people from attending services for months on end.  It won’t happen.  I will be back in the Church soon, as will many others.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:06 PM »

“Stay home for a few months”.

Really, really privileged quote there Anthony.  People CANNOT stay home for a few months.  They will die,  in far far greater numbers than you can ever imagine.  We will have mass starvation and civil unrest.  You may be above to stay home for a few months, and good for you.  By all means do so if you feel it necessary.

There is a middle ground that would involve temperature checks at the entrances to the reopened local service businesses and better spaced seating, while the international flights and conferences stay cancelled/virtual until we have a vaccine.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2020, 11:26:48 PM »

I don't usually say things like this, but those of you decrying the "authoritarian" response are nuts.

Give the government control to totally shut down your social life, keep you indoors, etc and good luck ever putting that back into its box.  Our freedoms are a lot more important than a virus with a 2% fataility rate.  Sorry, I said it.  I mean it.

Would you support doing this for something as deadly as smallpox (>20% fatality rate, overwhelming majority of population likely to be infected if no action taken)?  For something like the 1300's Black Death (>50% total fatality rate, 30-60% for more common bubonic type, >90% for less common pneumonic type, also likely to spread throughout the population)?  Or not at all?

I would like to see a serious answer to this question from those who think it is their god-given right to infect everyone else.

Because this is a serious question.

If it is actually a matter of principle, then they would hold the same opinion if it were smallpox, the plague, or worse.

And if it is not a matter of principle, then they must recognize that real question is one of degree - and the question we should be debating is actually how severe a disease should be in order for society to respond with a lockdown/significant measures to try to contain/eliminate the disease.

I think that is the real question here, and Skill and Chance's hypothetical cuts to the core of the matter.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:25 PM »

Give the government control to totally shut down your social life, keep you indoors, etc and good luck ever putting that back into its box.  Our freedoms are a lot more important than a virus with a 2% fataility rate.  Sorry, I said it.  I mean it.

I would like to see a serious answer to this question from those who think it is their god-given right to infect everyone else.

If it is actually a matter of principle, then they would hold the same opinion if it were smallpox, the plague, or worse.

And if it is not a matter of principle, then they must recognize that real question is one of degree - and the question we should be debating is actually how severe a disease should be in order for society to respond with a lockdown/significant measures to try to contain/eliminate the disease.

I think that is the real question here, and Skill and Chance's hypothetical cuts to the core of the matter.

Ive already said multiple times, the risk of this virus is nowhere proportionate to the economic destruction we are inflicting upon ourselves.  Its not remotely comparable to smallpox  or the black death.  Its a ridiculous question to even entertain.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »

Ive already said multiple times, the risk of this virus is nowhere proportionate to the economic destruction are inflicting upon ourselves.  Its not remotely comparable to smallpox  or the black death.  Its a ridiculous question to even entertain.

Exactly
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies