Your faith timeline. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:19:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Your faith timeline. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your faith timeline.  (Read 11353 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 20, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »

Was baptized a Catholic as an infant.
1-18: Would attend mass with my dad when visiting for the summer, but always viewed it as a chore and never payed attention. During the school year when I lived with my mom we never did or spoke of anything that even hinted of religion. For the most part I would describe myself as nominally catholic by identity but realistically my views were more along the lines of "I don't know or care that much, but I lean closer to deism than theism."

18-20: Started hanging out with some people involved in a campus ministry my first day in college. Evangelical worship services were certainly a huge culture shock, and spent quite a while wondering why the first 30 minutes of a service are spent on putting on a christian rock concert, but I stayed for the messages which were almost always thought provoking and entirely different the very dry and overly ritualistic masses I was accustomed to.

21-25: Where many tend to get swept up in emotion, it seemed, when they are won over into evangelical Christianity, for myself at least what made the difference was the intellectual argument being made. By the end of my junior year I decided to go deeper and take the training class to become a small group leader in the campus ministry. Around this time my mother passed away from cancer, my step father from pneumonia complications the year after, and my sister took her own life the year after that. C.S. Lewis and his book A Grief Observed were a tremendous help through that. By this point I very interested in the writings of old apologists. For the last few years in college and up until marriage I was still involved in campus ministry off and on, and working at a Christian camp out in the woods.

25-27: After getting married and realizing there was little opportunity in rural east Texas, we decided to move to Austin where I began to work for the Texas Senate. Since moving to Austin we have both found a loving home  church where we volunteer with the children's ministry and lead a young adult small group.

So in tl;dr, nominal catholic/diest --> evangelical protestant
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies