Your faith timeline. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:44:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Your faith timeline. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your faith timeline.  (Read 11283 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: March 16, 2020, 12:03:31 PM »

There isn't really a period that is anything other than "Christian - Protestant (ELCA Lutheran)," so I will instead give nuanced explanations:

Birth to ~12: Believe whatever your parents say, go to Sunday school, don't really see why this wouldn't be the way it is, etc.
~13 to ~16: Religion just not very important ... literally gave it no thought, in an affirmative or critical way.
~17 to ~18: Kind of started to gain a cultural attachment to the faith as I became more interested in my ethnic background.
~19 to ~22 (College): Really started to delve into it philosophically and became interested in the various more "liberal" interpretations of Christianity, interpretations which I was attracted to and did not feel cheapened the "truth" of it at all.
~22 to Present: Became comfortable with my "idiosyncratic" take on Mainline Protestantism and really started to appreciate it ... encounters with militant secularists and (much more so) Evangelicals and fundamentalists made me truly appreciate where I stand and entrenched even more of a pride/belief in it, though my denomination and specific topical beliefs certainly lend themselves to a more "private" and less "evangelical" (lowercase E) daily life of belief.

This is not a take on anyone else's experience, rather an anecdotal sharing of my own: I firmly believe that the fact I have never had an "intense" religious experience (like parents making you go to church, pastors/priests/ministers being overly political, having Biblical literalism preached as the only way, etc.) informed my beliefs in (what I consider) a very positive way.  Some of the least religious (I would say "anti-religious") people I know grew up in families that shoved it down their throats, and some of the people most "open" to the idea of a higher power or "God" of some sort kind of were allowed to take that spiritual journey of exploration on their own.  Again, totally anecdotal, but it's informed how I'll raise my kids, for sure.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »

EDIT (... fairly serious):

1) Proud/strict Lutheran who thought religious conservatism was "cool" and actually wished my church was a bit more conservative.

2) Clear ELCA Lutheran but didn't think about it overly much ... girls, high school sports, drinking in basements and parks, etc.

3) A bit more serious about it again in the years after college, especially as I got more in touch with my heritage through things like Ancestry.com and just learning about history.  My theological beliefs were a bit "vague," though, as I tried to reconcile the parts of the Bible (or, more accurately, people's interpretation of it) that I found unlikely to be true with my definite belief in some form of "The Devine."

4) Approximately in the last few years, I have started to believe that the specific aspects of one's belief in his religious doctrine isn't very important.  I identify as an ELCA Lutheran, and I believe in what most would call "God" (though I'm sure some Fundies would object).  My "beliefs" are ever-changing, as I believe all beliefs should be, and they are currently at some bizarre intersection between Christianity, vaguely Jungian ideas and simply thinking that "the answer" to the ultimate nature of reality is too strange and mystical and "beyond" our understanding to have been accurately described (at least specifically) by humans thus far ... though I do, indeed, believe in a higher power and I think Christianity (of which ELCA Lutheranism is BY FAR my preferred interpretation) most accurately describes what I would imagine such a being to be like, once I adjust for my own interpretation of Scripture.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies