How does Calvinism even work???
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How does Calvinism even work???
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does Calvinism even work???  (Read 530 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2021, 06:44:41 AM »

The idea some people are doomed to hell automatically and others predestined for heaven never seemed like a workable system.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »

I mean, it makes perfect sense in light of an omniscient God. The problem is squaring it off with divine benevolence, but tbh that's a problem with any non-universalist form of Christianity.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 11:12:25 AM »

I mean, it makes perfect sense in light of an omniscient God. The problem is squaring it off with divine benevolence, but tbh that's a problem with any non-universalist form of Christianity.

I mean I don't necessarily see how universalism is any more benevolent if it's contingent upon forcing everyone into an eternal union with the Godhead, which some people clearly do not desire and would be a sham anyway if the love of God is not reciprocated or freely given.

Now of course the problem of hell (in many orthodox Christian conceptions) does conflict with the benevolence of God as well, but this is easily solved by denying the eternal torture component and subscribing to annihilationism for instance, as the Adventists do.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2021, 01:22:19 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

The idea some people are doomed to hell automatically and others predestined for heaven never seemed like a workable system.

If one rejects Pelagianism, that humans can merit salvation by their own effort alone, then you can see how double predestination could make sense. Because no one could possibly deserve salvation at all it’s therefore not a problem if God predestines certain sinners to hell.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 01:51:42 PM »

I don't think anyone who has ever really thought - and I mean really thought - about what some people do and why, would question whether Calvinist theology* (or the Augustinian thought it is a conscious elaboration of) makes sense. Of course it makes sense: you really only have to look around you to see that much. You could even make a case that the challenge is really on those Christian traditions that reject the concept of the reprobate despite the palpable existence of such people.

*Some of the weirder Scottish and Dutch derived traditions aside...
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 07:20:58 PM »

i like the idea of predestiny because if there's one thing i'm 100% sure on theologically it's that i was predestined to burn in hell for all of eternity
Georg Ebner
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:53:28 PM »

In theory any determinism should end in fatalism, in reality it ends in voluntarism.

CALVIN was in theory an AUGUSTINUS redivivus, in reality a PELAGIUS redivivus.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 09:08:20 PM »

I think non-Calvinist non-universalists generally compromise God’s *power*. That is to say, they agree that God’s will is to bring all unto Himself, but they believe that at the end, God will be unable to bring forth into rational union with himself those whose own wills triumph over him.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 07:32:04 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 08:50:02 AM by Del Tachi »

The doctrine of unconditional election is blasphemy.  The New Testament unambiguously addresses salvific election in corporate terms.  It is Christ himself who is the elect of God, and it is the church that was saved by his atoning sacrifice (Ephesians 5:25-27.)  No one is predestined to become a Christian, but Christians (collectively) are predestined to inherit the glory God has determined for them.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »

Which is why I’m universalist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies