Biden adopting version of Sanders' free college plan to bring Dems together
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 06:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden adopting version of Sanders' free college plan to bring Dems together
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden adopting version of Sanders' free college plan to bring Dems together  (Read 1376 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 05:07:02 PM »

Mhm.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »

You have to place some sort of income ceiling on this sort of plan in order to pay for it. It's just my opinion, but it's lower to middle income people who are more in need of free college than upper income ones. Millionaires and billionaires aren't likely to send their children to public colleges anyway.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »

Anything less than universal is meaningless means testing. I also see no reason to take Biden 100% credibly when this a flip-flop just today. Nonetheless, this is a good move towards a more equitable society if he actually fights for it. Just hope he gets it in place before I go off to college next year!

why should the rich get into college for free?

Uhh are parents forced to pay for their children's college tuition? Seems like this gives parents a lot of power over their young adult children in a somewhat unfair way.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »

Hopefully he makes some other moves to show that he hasn't forgotten about progressives. Good first step though
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 05:24:04 PM »

You have to place some sort of income ceiling on this sort of plan in order to pay for it. It's just my opinion, but it's lower to middle income people who are more in need of free college than upper income ones. Millionaires and billionaires aren't likely to send their children to public colleges anyway.

All the more reason not to set arbitrary cliffs that incentivize fraud.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »

Biden is already running on a very progressive platform and he is winning big. He doesn't need to make any concessions. The Bruenigs and Cornel Wests of the world are never going to be won over. Cut them loose.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »

I'm sure this is a bad thing for some reason.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »

Good, good. He needs to steal the popular progressive policies (free college for non-riches, legal weed, free insulin) while continuing to vehemently denounce the unpopular ones (abolish ICE, wiping out student loan debt, banning private health insurance, etc). Would be great if he could find an excuse to publicly denounce one of the members of “the Squad” too.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »

Millionaires are more interested in committing fraud to get their children into Ivy League schools.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 05:31:35 PM »

For example, I am a bartender and my partner is a schoolteacher. Depending on the year, we could very easily reach this mark and we are not extremely wealthy people by any stretch if the imagination. Of course, underreporting tips and such is already fairly encouraged by the tax code, but I could see this leading to more stock options and benefit packages for people around certain income thresholds.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »

Ah, trying to "go left" eh? Well then, let's see if any of this holds when it's "time to move back to the centre" in September-October.

Clinton ran a pretty progressive platform in the general election. Running against Trump gave her that luxury. So the same may be true of Biden.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »

Reminder that Biden isn't even for federal marijuana legalization. Moves like these are exclusively for a "gotcha" moment on the debate stage tonight and are essentially meaningless.
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »

This is a bad idea. Almost all of the new jobs being created are low-skill, low-pay positions. There is no need for every McDonald's team member to have their very own bachelor's degree. And that is inevitable with universal college education, which is totally unnecessary. Progressives should be fighting for universal health care and paid time off -- things this country critically needs -- not shoveling more money at the ultra-corrupt "higher education" industry.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies