TX-Gov: Perry's below 50%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:22:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  TX-Gov: Perry's below 50%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: TX-Gov: Perry's below 50%  (Read 14357 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 02:34:58 PM »

The Texas Dems need to get a grip. A Minority-Majority State should not be one of the top GOP states in the country. Not saying it ought to be Democratic or anything, but they should at least be competitive on the state level.

That's a deceptive figure, since roughly about 30% of the state is not registered to vote, and I doubt many of those are actual citizens.  Most of that figure is, of course, Hispanic.

Still, the Democrats are getting close to having to split the Hispanic vote in most statewide races with the Republicans.  Can't lose the white vote 70%-30% and expect to win with that and your usual 90% of blacks.

That's a valid point, but still, a state with only a slim white majority should not be as one-party as Texas is.

We don't have a white majority anymore.

*sigh*

One day I'll just give up.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »

TEXAS GOVERNOR
Rick Perry (R) 40%
Scott McClellan’s Mom (I) 31%
Chris Bell (D) 13%
Kinky Friedman 9%

Rick Perry (R) 38%
Scott McClellan’s Mom (I) 29%
Bob Gammage (D) 18%
Kinky Friedman 8%
If the Democrats stay below 20%, they will have the option of not holding primaries, but can use conventions like the Libertarians do.  They only need 5% for any statewide office to maintain official status and avoid petitioning to get on the ballot.

Their support is so low they won't have to have a primary? Thats the most depressing thing I've ever read.

TX Dems problem might be that voters equate them with the more liberal national party (people like me Sad) but the Governor's races in WY, KS, OK and TN have shown that there is still support for conservative Democrats at the state and local levels. Does this pattern not apply to Texas?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 01:42:15 PM »

TEXAS GOVERNOR
Rick Perry (R) 40%
Scott McClellan’s Mom (I) 31%
Chris Bell (D) 13%
Kinky Friedman 9%

Rick Perry (R) 38%
Scott McClellan’s Mom (I) 29%
Bob Gammage (D) 18%
Kinky Friedman 8%
If the Democrats stay below 20%, they will have the option of not holding primaries, but can use conventions like the Libertarians do.  They only need 5% for any statewide office to maintain official status and avoid petitioning to get on the ballot.

Their support is so low they won't have to have a primary? Thats the most depressing thing I've ever read.

TX Dems problem might be that voters equate them with the more liberal national party (people like me Sad) but the Governor's races in WY, KS, OK and TN have shown that there is still support for conservative Democrats at the state and local levels. Does this pattern not apply to Texas?

There are two real reasons why the pattern does not apply.

First, in Texas, the Democratic party has been much more successful in driving out the moderates and conservatives than the other parties have been.  Plus, the Democrats have simply given enough Hispanic votes over the years to Republicans in order to make a position bullet-proof.  It is a well-known saying in Texas politics, that a Republican will always win statewide if he can get 35% of the Hispanic vote.  It used to rarely happen in Texas, now it happens in every election.

But second, and this is perhaps just as important, most old-time Democrats tend to reside in rural areas.  In WY, KS, OK and TN, there are not many urban areas (maybe TN), which equal suburban and exurban outgrowth and ultra-Republican areas.  So, the rural areas still hold a greater extension over the power of the vote.

In TX, suburban areas, because of the huge cities of Dallas and Houston, make rural areas have less power in terms of voting percentages.  In most statewide elections in Texas, the Dallas metroplex and Houston cast roughly 50% of the votes.  Republicans in recent years have won both areas by roughly a 60%-40% margin.  That's an awful lot of ground to cover up in rural areas, whose voting power is shrinking. 

When in 2002 race for Lt. Governor, which was the only competitive one,  David Dewhurst, a conservative Republican, beat John Sharp, a moderate to conservative Democrat, 52%-47%, it was precisely along these lines.  Or you can compare Bob Dole vs. Bill Clinton in 1996 for another example.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 02:58:14 PM »

The Texas Dems need to get a grip. A Minority-Majority State should not be one of the top GOP states in the country. Not saying it ought to be Democratic or anything, but they should at least be competitive on the state level.

That's a deceptive figure, since roughly about 30% of the state is not registered to vote, and I doubt many of those are actual citizens.  Most of that figure is, of course, Hispanic.

Still, the Democrats are getting close to having to split the Hispanic vote in most statewide races with the Republicans.  Can't lose the white vote 70%-30% and expect to win with that and your usual 90% of blacks.

That's a valid point, but still, a state with only a slim white majority should not be as one-party as Texas is.

yes you do. Hispanics are white.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »

Some are.  But most are Native American or mixed white and Native American (mestizo).  Either way, they are not a separate race and should not be counted as such.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »

The Democratic party should start worrying if they ever start to vote like white people nationally.  Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2006, 12:20:28 AM »

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a left-leaning Independent in Texas, and I am not sure who I'll vote for in the gubernatorial race. I might go for Kinky myself.

Hi, there. Does anyone with the name Kinky have a chance?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006, 07:01:28 AM »

Chance at what?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »

Chance at what?
Getting a little kinky here, Jim? Wink
Jacobtm

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:06 PM »

Goddamn Strayhorn! If it weren't for her, then Kinky would've had a real shot!

Now where will Kinky find the closet space he needs?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies