Economic crisis coming up? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:21:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Economic crisis coming up? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Economic crisis coming up?  (Read 8923 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:06:14 PM »

Does anyone else think that this impending recession will be far, far less disastrous than 2007/2008? Whereas last time the downturn came about as a result of structural problems within the economy, this time people see it as an external force affecting the market, which will do less to weaken people's faith in institutions. Also, the damage being done thus far feels largely impermanent; yes, people are losing their jobs, but many of them are being told that their job will be waiting for them once the quarantine is lifted. That did not happen in 2008, when companies cut costs by automating jobs away and outsourcing-- those jobs never came back. I could be very wrong, and this all depends upon how quickly normalcy is restored, but I think the recovery from this will be much speedier than in 2008.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »

Does anyone else think that this impending recession will be far, far less disastrous than 2007/2008? Whereas last time the downturn came about as a result of structural problems within the economy, this time people see it as an external force affecting the market, which will do less to weaken people's faith in institutions. Also, the damage being done thus far feels largely impermanent; yes, people are losing their jobs, but many of them are being told that their job will be waiting for them once the quarantine is lifted. That did not happen in 2008, when companies cut costs by automating jobs away and outsourcing-- those jobs never came back. I could be very wrong, and this all depends upon how quickly normalcy is restored, but I think the recovery from this will be much speedier than in 2008.

I agree, but I think there may be structural problems in the current economy.

I think so too, but rather than exposing them, the virus might distract from them, which could be very beneficial to those who wish to keep the status quo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies