Should Mississippi Go First on the Democratic Primary Schedule?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:41:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should Mississippi Go First on the Democratic Primary Schedule?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Mississippi be the first state on the Democratic primary schedule?
Democrat: Yes

Democrat: No

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Should Mississippi Go First on the Democratic Primary Schedule?  (Read 4711 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:28 PM »

What do you think?  African Americans are the bedrock of the Democratic Party in the South (and in the nation as a whole) yet the primary schedule hardly reflects that reality, and they have long felt taken for granted.  So why not Mississippi which has the highest proportion of African-Americans in the country, and is also the poorest with the greatest concentration of poverty in the Delta?  And are we not the party that have traditionally stood up for the poor and destitute since William Jennings Bryan, and for the disenfranchised at least since the 1960s?  This state will bring us back to our roots as a political party but in a way that is inclusive, and would force Democratic candidates to focus on African Americans and their issues and concerns in a way they haven't.  And as an added bonus, it is still small enough population-wise to enable the kind of retail politicking that Iowa and New Hampshire currently enjoy, and would allow insurgent candidates with limited resources to compete on a more even playing field against more established candidates.   
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-early-democratic-primary-states-looked-more-like-the-party/
Mississippi is the 50th most representative state. Not a good idea.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:26:35 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2020, 09:30:45 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

We can have Nevada come in second.  But to me it is only fair to reward a constituency that has been our most loyal through thick and thin, and what more visible way to reward that loyalty than by having the poorest, most African American state in the Union the first say in who our nominee should be?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:09:43 PM »

If Mississippi were the first state to vote, I see Democrats candidate running significantly to the right of where they do now on issues like LGBT rights, immigration and other social issues.  Which I'm all for.

But, to answer the question, I don't think it's a good idea for Mississippi to go first.  As was pointed out, MS is the least representative state of the national Democratic Party.  Candidates who campaigned to win the "first in the nation Mississippi primary" would risk being boxed-in by the media as strictly "Black interest" candidates without appeal to blue collar Whites or suburban/urban liberals.

There's a lot of tradition baked into the current primary calendar.  I say rotate the order of the first four every primary year so that each of IA, NH, SC and NV get a chance to go first.  If once every 16 years isn't enough (which it probably isn't, due to a lot of primary seasons being uncontested), then put the first four states into alternating pairs (i.e., IA/SC; NH/NV; IA/NV; NH/SC) and let these pairs vote over the first two weeks on a rotational basis.  Each of the first four states would get a chance to be the "first in the nation" every eight years, and pairing them together prevents any one of the four early states from having too deterministic of an event on the outcome of the primary.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:12:17 PM »

I've been hearing lately how South Carolina or some southern state should go first, but if people really cared about "representativeness" then the deep south is not the way to go. Way too black and culturally conservative to be representative of the overall electorate, almost as bad as Iowa and New Hampshire.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:41:17 AM »

The 4 most representative small states are
1. Nevada
2. Delaware
3. Oklahoma
4. Connecticut
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 02:03:40 AM »

Maybe just do Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina all on the same day
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »

The 4 most representative small states are
1. Nevada
2. Delaware
3. Oklahoma
4. Connecticut

Yeah, Nevada and Delaware is a good 1-2 combo.
Delaware has the added benefit of being close to Washington, so congresspersons won't have to abandon their everyday duties in order to campaign. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »

Mississippi is even more unrepresentative of the Democratic Party as a whole than Iowa is.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »

No way. Mississippi is way more conservative and religious than the Democratic Party as a whole. If we are going to move the first in the nation primary/caucus to a more diverse state, I'd nominate Nevada. They not only have their fair share of African Americans but also a healthy supply of Hispanics/Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans that are indeed more reflective of the Democratic Party. Of course, the only problem with Nevada is that all the candidates would be spending 99 percent of their time in Las Vegas, Reno, and Carson City with maybe one or two appearances in the cow counties. Just my two cents.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »

Any Mississippi Democrats who actually live in the state want to weigh in? 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »

Come over to Louisiana, we're a little more diverse and way more fun. 
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »

No, Illinois should go first.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »

If we want a cheap state I think it should be Nevada or Georgia.

If anything goes then Illinois.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »

Too big and too expensive. A Bloomberg-like candidate would have the advantage over lesser known ones who are more capable in retail politics.
538Electoral

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »

No.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 12:33:49 AM »

If we want a cheap state I think it should be Nevada or Georgia.

If anything goes then Illinois.

GA is not exactly cheap. It has a big population and the Atlanta media market is quite pricy.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 11:38:25 AM »

NJ or IL has more of the Upper class suburban population than Nevada does but Nevada is cheaper to run in.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »

Mississippi would be a nice "gesture," as even the most elitist White liberal alive acknowledges that the Democratic Party isn't SH|T without the completely unwavering support of Black voters, and they clearly have the most sway in the primaries (partly due to their historically noted and relatively unrivaled pragmatism of sticking together).  However, as others have noted, the Democratic electorate isn't THAT Black, haha.  What percent of MS Democrats are Black now a days, 70%??

It would effectively serve as an "affirmative action" policy to combat the years of advantages enjoyed by the super White electorates in Iowa and New Hampshire, haha.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »

Nope.

Maybe just do Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina all on the same day

Not a bad idea, actually.  Collectively, they should be representative enough to go first.  Though they should all hold primaries, and New Hampshire would hate it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2020, 02:36:15 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

Nope.

Not a bad idea, actually.  Collectively, they should be representative enough to go first.  Though they should all hold primaries, and New Hampshire would hate it.

The idea is to pick one state small enough in population early in the process so contenders with less resources are on a more even playing field vis-a-vis more established candidates.  
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 05:37:53 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2020, 05:46:22 PM by Battista Minola 1616 »

No way. Mississippi is way more conservative and religious than the Democratic Party as a whole. If we are going to move the first in the nation primary/caucus to a more diverse state, I'd nominate Nevada. They not only have their fair share of African Americans but also a healthy supply of Hispanics/Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans that are indeed more reflective of the Democratic Party. Of course, the only problem with Nevada is that all the candidates would be spending 99 percent of their time in Las Vegas, Reno, and Carson City with maybe one or two appearances in the cow counties. Just my two cents.

But the fact is that close to 99 percent of Nevada Democrats come from Las Vegas, Reno and Carson City...
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 05:45:27 PM »

Why not Alaska, by the way, since Native Americans are like 3000 times more ignored than African Americans?
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »

Why not Alaska, by the way, since Native Americans are like 3000 times more ignored than African Americans?

Even though Alaska does have the highest percentage of Native Americans of any state, I feel New Mexico would be a more representative state to go first in the primary. Although it has a slightly smaller percentage of Native Americans than Alaska, it has more Native Americans overall along with a heavily Latino population that Alaska doesn't really have. But I'd be in favor of having New Mexico and Alaska go earlier than they do in the primaries to get more say to Native voters.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 05:13:04 AM »

Even though Alaska does have the highest percentage of Native Americans of any state, I feel New Mexico would be a more representative state to go first in the primary. Although it has a slightly smaller percentage of Native Americans than Alaska, it has more Native Americans overall along with a heavily Latino population that Alaska doesn't really have. But I'd be in favor of having New Mexico and Alaska go earlier than they do in the primaries to get more say to Native voters.

I agree. A really pumped up way to render the ideas we shared in this thread would be substituting all the first four primary states with:
Alaska (the most Native American state)
New Mexico (the most Hispanic state)
Hawaii (the most Asian state)
Mississippi (the Blackest state)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies