If the EC were abolished, how would the Republicans win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:03:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  If the EC were abolished, how would the Republicans win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If the EC were abolished, how would the Republicans win?  (Read 17112 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: July 13, 2020, 04:07:02 PM »

It would be tough. Going moderate like many advocate on here wouldn’t work as any gain from Kasich supporting crowd will be offset by those further right who just give up on voting outright. Options going forward would be:

1. Republicans will either become junior party that occasionally puts check on left moving too fast, but never controlling all branches of government (like New England politics currently). Win 1 out 5 presidential elections at most and stay legislative minority.

2. The winning strategy is full populist (Fiscal left/social conservative). Fiscal conservatives are dying breed in electorate until the federal government or a large state government goes BK.

The  GOP would abandon fiscal conservatism in its official platform (already have in practice) and run to the left of Democrats on economic policy/safety net (adopt more generous version Yang’s UBI, medicare for all citizens, higher tariffs, higher taxes on the rich, etc.) while maintaining social conservative views. This would win over both white and minority working classes at the expense of losing libertarians and upper middle class professionals who are already trending Democrat. GOP would also have to work closer and drop hostility towards organized labor. This would be winning ticket, but also equal the death of American conservatism.

What do you mean by "the GOP already have in pratice abandoned fiscal conservatism"Huh
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 03:13:09 AM »

It would be tough. Going moderate like many advocate on here wouldn’t work as any gain from Kasich supporting crowd will be offset by those further right who just give up on voting outright. Options going forward would be:

1. Republicans will either become junior party that occasionally puts check on left moving too fast, but never controlling all branches of government (like New England politics currently). Win 1 out 5 presidential elections at most and stay legislative minority.

2. The winning strategy is full populist (Fiscal left/social conservative). Fiscal conservatives are dying breed in electorate until the federal government or a large state government goes BK.

The  GOP would abandon fiscal conservatism in its official platform (already have in practice) and run to the left of Democrats on economic policy/safety net (adopt more generous version Yang’s UBI, medicare for all citizens, higher tariffs, higher taxes on the rich, etc.) while maintaining social conservative views. This would win over both white and minority working classes at the expense of losing libertarians and upper middle class professionals who are already trending Democrat. GOP would also have to work closer and drop hostility towards organized labor. This would be winning ticket, but also equal the death of American conservatism.

What do you mean by "the GOP already have in pratice abandoned fiscal conservatism"Huh

The GOP is willing to give as many tax breaks to the rich and corporations without considering the impact of such tax cuts on the budget deficit. True fiscal conservatism would have allowed for such people/groups to pay more taxes to offset budget deficits.

Well yes that is very true. But like, since that is also not fiscal progressivism, and I'm too young to remember a time where people in power actually cared about the deficit, I'll just call tax breaks to corporations fiscal conservatism while I wait for a better term.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 01:52:58 PM »

The GOP is willing to give as many tax breaks to the rich and corporations without considering the impact of such tax cuts on the budget deficit. True fiscal conservatism would have allowed for such people/groups to pay more taxes to offset budget deficits.

Well yes that is very true. But like, since that is also not fiscal progressivism, and I'm too young to remember a time where people in power actually cared about the deficit, I'll just call tax breaks to corporations fiscal conservatism while I wait for a better term.

Supply side economics, voodoo economics, trickle down economics

Right. But they don't sound like names for ideologies. I have always loved the term "voodoo economics" though.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »

Supply side economics, voodoo economics, trickle down economics

Right. But they don't sound like names for ideologies. I have always loved the term "voodoo economics" though.

I would describe it as “economic conservatism”, which is applying conservative ideology to economic policy (essentially preserving the status quo and existing inequalities), as opposed to fiscal conservatism which is simply not spending more than you’ve got. It can be done from a right- (low taxes, lower spending) or left-wing (high spending, higher taxes) perspective. It is a hugely unpopular ideology, as most people want lower taxes and higher spending.

The GOP has not been fiscally conservative for a long time. Reagan, Bush 43 and Trump are probably the three least fiscally conservative presidents ever.

You are right. Thanks. That is what I was searching for. It's that I usually tend to understand "economic conservatism" when I hear "fiscal conservatism" because it seems like many people use the terms interchangeably or similar.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »

Aim for Hispanics. Yes, this is feasible with a generation or two between now and then. Look at how fast Democrats abandoned my community's issues after the 2016 dust settled- there's a reason Mexican-Americans suddenly went hard Sanders in the primaries. Of course Republicans would lose the white working class in the sticks, and they would suffer for it in the short term, but they're a shrinking group anyway- worst case scenario, they'll either stay home or join an unhappy Democratic coalition.

In any case, the imperative becomes reaching out more to the populous states. That means the Sun Belt, and that means minority outreach, whatever platform would be necessary to achieve that.

You have now earned your accolades.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies