Office of Senator Scott, President pro tempore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:19:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Scott, President pro tempore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Office of Senator Scott, President pro tempore  (Read 5608 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2021, 02:23:12 AM »

I understand Koopa’s predicament - and I’m open to an exception for that situation. (I will note that there is nothing in the text of the constitution preventing Lumine from voting).

My concern is with the fact that you also want to repeal the constitutional requirements against strategic registration entirely in order to “leave it to the regions”. I can spell it out clearly: if it is left to the regions, strategic registration will inevitably occur. The only way to get rid of it is a constitutional ban.

I don't know how you can provide an exception for Koopa now that the Constitution has already been ratified. In any case, I support minimal federal standards against strategic registration, but the Constitution that just passed takes away a great deal of regional autonomy. It makes one question whether this is actually a good alternative to the bicameral system we had been using.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2021, 02:30:16 AM »

I don't know how you can provide an exception for Koopa now that the Constitution has already been ratified.

Amending to set a grandfather date?

In any case, I support minimal federal standards against strategic registration, but the Constitution that just passed takes away a great deal of regional autonomy.

Regional autonomy to do what, though?

The constitution bars regions from doing two things:

1. Extending the franchise to strategic voters
2. Disenfrancishing federally valid voters who have not recently moved

Which of these two things do you want to be allowed; strategic registration or regional disenfranchisement?

It makes one question whether this is actually a good alternative to the bicameral system we had been using.

And yes, this is the crux of the point. If you are seeking election in order to facilitate a return to bicameralism, you do not have my support.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2021, 09:29:32 AM »

If an exception is made for the people who recently registered in different states without fully understanding how that impacts their ability to vote, and it is possible to make an exception that passes constitutional muster, I will not propose any new amendments but it must be made fully clear from this point forward that federal rules regarding changes in subregions are consistent with those regarding changing regions as a whole.

With that in mind, we may as well scrap the part of our CMA with the UK (and this was kind of the fun part) that allows people to legally vote and reside in any part of the UK. The only alternative, as I can see it, is de facto annexation of the UK. Any other people living in Gibraltar or other British territory must be forced to pick a state, but they should not be disenfranchised.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »

With that in mind, we may as well scrap the part of our CMA with the UK (and this was kind of the fun part) that allows people to legally vote and reside in any part of the UK. The only alternative, as I can see it, is de facto annexation of the UK. Any other people living in Gibraltar or other British territory must be forced to pick a state, but they should not be disenfranchised.

This. The CMA was fun while it lasted, but it only leads to more canonical confusion with "is the UK a part of Atlasia or its own country" and whatnot. Plus, as someone who does a little Atlasian mapping here and there, having those five (!) extra territories is very cluttersome, especially next to the five Caribbean and Pacific territories. Better yet, we could move the UK posters to these (mostly) uninhabited islands to make sure they don't go without active voters inside them.

Oh, and I already told you this in Discord DMs, but for the public record, I endorse.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2021, 11:32:09 PM »

Enthusiastically endorsed!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »

After some thought and discussion, reinstating my endorsement. We have some disagreements on the specifics of art. II.4, but overall agree on the issues of the grandfather clause etc., and I find Scott's overall record of service and dedication far too exemplary to pass up.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2021, 05:55:09 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2021, 06:00:10 PM by Scott🦋 »

As I run in my first Senate election in many months, instead of merely expecting victory from turnout alone I will be using the NPC campaigns as an opportunity to speak directly to the voters in these states who will be deciding all the elections. This month, I am fortunate to be campaigning alongside Governors Nelson of Nebraska and Santos of New Mexico, and while focusing on Labor accomplishments made in our subregion, I will also continue to speak on issues that affect us in Nyman and how I intend to be an effective, independent voice for the Interior West that fights for protection of our constitutional rights, fights for preserving and building on our great social safety net, and fights for solutions to the most important issue facing us today: climate change.

North Platte, Nebraska
limited-capacity event; masks mandatory for unvaccinated attendees, optional for those with proof of vaccination - livestreamed on NE Labor Website

Hello and good morning, North Platte!

It's a nice warm day to be speaking with you with a long slate of candidates, from Representative Bryce to Senator Rodgers to your governor, Mr. Bob Nelson!

Today I also speak to you, the people of North Platte and the great state of Nebraska, as a candidate myself for your regional senator! I'm kicking off my first stop on the campaign trail here in Nebraska, where people of this state will help decide the first Senator for our Interior West region!

Now I understand there's been word from our divisive press regarding the relationship Labor has with Governor Nelson, who like me, has developed a profile for opposing Labor efforts when we did not feel they were best for Frémont or for our constituents. My biggest known disagreement with my party on Labor is on the right to bear arms. Although there is great diversity in our party, including our approach to balancing the right to bear arms with mostly commonsense laws that are already on the books.

Still, I was opposed strongly by prominent members of my party. I still have several differences with my party. But I support Labor because it is the best vehicle for social progress and prosperity for the middle class and poor, both urban and rural.

Governor Nelson does too, and despite a disagreement or two between measures, we both want what is best for Nebraska, all across the state. West to east. From our our workers in agriculture to military to transportation to manufacturing for machinery and metals. We want to move those industries and others through the post-COVID economy.

But unlike the Democratic Alliance among many, many other catch-all parties to have arose for as far back I've been a citizen of this country, Labor has always stood on the same bedrock principles. We work and find common ground with people in all parties and on all sides of the spectrum, and only through compromise and consensus were we ever to obtain our most significant achievements, be those most of our previous Constitutions or our great healthcare system, which has enabled Frémont to provide universal healthcare without eliminating private choice, by allowing nonprofit choices for those who are not in AtlasCare. I was instrumental in this bill's passage, and so has Governor Nelson been in providing these benefits to the people of Nebraska and supporting Labor's efforts in both Denver and in Nyman.

Once again, the Democratic Alliance insists on a campaign where they win on false statements. Mr. Ninja0428 insists that Governor Nelson has been "slashing local services". It appears that the DA is still woefully ignorant about longstanding policy in the region they are campaigning in! It merits correcting that, thanks to the efforts of First Minister Truman and myself, that Frémont has longstanding law requiring Denver to bear the cost of all state services!

I do not want North Platte or the people of this state to be fooled by more DA falsehoods, from its original lies about the Alaska Permanent Fund not being helped by Denver, to its misleading claims about student:teacher ratios being too high in Utah - also despite regional legislation providing local grants precisely for keeping them low, to this new lie that Governor Nelson has been slashing local services.

I am urging you, Nebraska, to ignore the lies. Governor Nelson will continue to fight for you, Representative Bryce will continue to fight for you, Senator Rodgers will continue to fight for you, and I will fight for you.

Thank you, North Platte!

Neligh, Nebraska1
limited-capacity event; masks mandatory for unvaccinated attendees, optional for those with proof of vaccination - livestreamed on NE Labor Website

Good afternoon, Neligh!

On my second stop in my Nebraska tour, I've had the opportunity to meet with a lot of people, and a small lot small businesses in particular. Needless to say, it's been easier for small communities to be vaccinated against COVID and begin reopening their economy. While Labor continues to mandate some extent of social distancing for our rallies, over time we will gradually be reducing how much mask-wearing and social distancing is necessary. But thanks to former Parliament Speaker Siren's vaccine plan for the Commonwealth, which Governor Nelson has executed faithfully, small towns like Neligh will quickly return to a pre-pandemic normalcy.

That's important for communities like Neligh, among the rest of Antelope County. Antelope County is the largest soybean producer in the state of Nebraska. When family farms across the Frémont struggled, and could only dependent on regional and national stimulus measures to keep these small businesses open, and in competition with the unethical and often abusive factory farms of Big Agriculture, Labor was there to deliver. And as did the governor in every state in Frémont, so too did Bob Nelson.

Bob only worked with the legislature to cut unnecessary regulations which ultimately served to bolster Big Agriculture at the expense of small farms here in Antelope County. He reduced barriers to the market so that those who benefit most from the economy's reopening are those who want a head-start in competing with those megafarms. When Governor Nelson worked with the legislature, he worked with elected members who know the constituents that voted for them. Not Big Ag executives. Not lobbyists. Among those he has worked with is the Nebraska Sustainable Agricultural Society.

It's not corporatism. It's not giveaways to those who can afford the most lobbyists and the best lawyers. And it's certainly not neoliberal economic policies, which the Democratic Alliance has yet to specifically renounce. And yet they cannot renounce, while also running a candidate for the Mountain/Interior West Senate seat who calls himself a supporter of that ideology.

Despite our occasional disagreements, Governor Nelson and I have a fundamentally positive relationship. Labor has never been monolithic, and anyone paying attention to the ongoing Senate campaign can see that even non-NPC members of the party occasionally find themselves at disagreement with each other on policy or strategy. But we have always been the progressive voice for Frémont and we have an long, robust record of proving it.

But here in Nebraska, we believe that government policies are best forged by consensus, even when that means not every side getting 100% of what it wants. We are willing to work with any party on any issue so long that it is in the best interests of Nebraska.

I'm pleased to announce that Governor Nelson is here with me, and he will be speaking to all of you very shortly. Also with us in Senator John Hughes. Senator Hughes is not a member of the Labor Caucus, but rather the leader of the Liberals in the State Senate. Governor Nelson chose him to be his running mate and candidate for Lieutenant Governor this month because he knows Senator Hughes. The new have a great personal relationship, and have also worked together on successfully implementing the Denver vaccine plan to cover all over Nebraska.

And although we are one month closer to eradicating this cruel pandemic, I cannot overstate the importance of obtaining a vaccine if you have not already done so.

This June, vote for Governor Nelson and Senator Hughes! And vote for Senate the person who knows this state and subregion best.

1. http://www.countrysideacresneligh.com/

Grand Island, Nebraska1

Hello, everyone! Great to be here in Grand Island, home of the upcoming Nebraska State Fair! After a year of quarantining, the people of Grand Island are ready to get back to the annual tradition which brings in over 200,000 in attendance and gives state and local vendors the opportunity to promote their products, in the spirit of Nebraska's agricultural tradition. With excellent vaccine rates by this time, the State Fair will go normally as planned!

Elite politicians overlook Nebraska as a common flyover state. And these are the same politicians who don't understand that running hard-left in a state like Nebraska will not grant them electoral fortune. Here in Nebraska, we value the right to keep and bear arms. This is an issue that I faced a lot of backlash in my own party on, long before these NPC elections started.

And I did exactly that because Nebraskans and people from other states across our region and subregion called my office as Frémont Senator and told me that, while they do not oppose background checks or red flag laws against domestic abusers and terrorists, the so-called "assault weapons" ban would be an infringement on hunters. That the AR-15 is not just a weapon of war, but a legitimate hunting device for feral pigs, antelope jackrabbits, and elk.

In response, and in accordance with my prior convictions on the gun control issue, I stood strong in opposing this ban along with Senators North Carolina Yankee and Louisville Thunder. Though our efforts were unsuccessful, I have never went back on my vote. I do not apologize for my record on this issue. MP YE agrees with me. Strict gun regulations have never passed Parliament. And Governor Nelson agrees that the right to bear arms is necessary for safeguarding the right to self-defense, as well as protecting the rights of hunters and sportsmen.

Governor Nelson also supports open and concealed carry, because a woman should never have to fear being raped. No one should ever have to worry about themselves or their family being threatened. No law-abiding citizen deserves to be a victim or acquiesce to dangerous criminals. Because, as we all know, criminals do not follow laws.

The big tent of Labor understands the needs of its citizens because we listen to our citizens. Governor Nelson is popular in this state specifically because he speaks on behalf of the people who elected him - not just old-timers in the national party.

Nebraskans are understandably wary of outsiders and elitists coming in from the Coasts to tell you how your state ought to be run. Or that there is something wrong with Nebraska because it has a governor who operates with you, the people, in mind.

A vote for Nebraska Labor is a vote to minimize restrictions on the right to bear alarms unless there is an immediate and pressing reason to restrict an individual's right to own a firearm. But with Governor Nelson at the helm, crime has been low. Our streets are safe. There is a common respect that spans across the state, from rural Nebraska to Lincoln and Omaha.

With Governor Nelson, your constitutional rights will be protected and we will continue regrowing our economy, with a laser focus on agriculture and manufacturing to reopen Nebraska as a farming and metal production capital.

But instead of triangulating our party's ideology to a point of incoherence, we remain dedicated to the bedrock principles that keep all factions of Labor as one: a common commitment to the working people and the disenfranchised.

Thank you, Grand Island! Register and vote maroon!

1. https://adriansmith.house.gov/contact/offices/grand-island-office
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2021, 11:53:26 AM »

Today I made another campaign stop in Nebraska with Governor Bob Nelson, outlining my plan for defending domestic agricultural production. Located within our subregion is the heart of our nation's breadbasket. A vote for me is a vote for a senator with a plan who knows the interests of Frémont best!

Scottsbluff, Nebraska1
drive-in mega-rally, social distancing enforced in non-vaccinated section - livestreamed on NE Labor Website

Hello, Scottsbluff!

It's great to be able to return to my home region, and specifically here in the Mountain/Interior West where I am running to be your senator under the Fifth Constitution! And I'm glad to have Governor Nelson with me and his support as we move together as one state, one region, and one nation.

Throughout my tour of the other states up for election this month, I have learned much. In particular, I have learned about the hardships that small and family farms have experienced throughout the pandemic. Needless to say, we are fortunate to have these farms with us today. Governor Nelson and the legislature have done a spectacular job keeping this state afloat and getting our people vaccinated.

While I was meeting with the Governor, we talked a little about the expectations for this state in the coming summer. I remarked that other states' governors are anticipating a tourism boom after a year of enforced social distancing measures and closed amenities. Well, here in "flyover country" we're setting expectations a bit lower! And even Bob quipped that Nebraska, true to its tourism slogan: "Honestly, it's not for everyone."

[audience laughs]

Perhaps not, perhaps not. But it is at the center of our nation's breadbasket, and that creates jobs for tens of thousands Nebraskans, especially here out west in the Panhandle.

But meeting with Governor Chávez and Ag Commissioner Fried back in Florida, I learned that not only are our nation's farmers having to bear the pandemic, the ensuing economic devastation, and the natural disasters brought on by climate change that only make farming that much more difficult - they are also dealing with unfair and illegal trade practices in the agriculture industry that, as your next senator, will be one of my first priorities.

The illegal dumping of Mexican agricultural commodities has created a strong disadvantage for Atlasian farmers. That is why one of my first acts as a member of our new Senate will be to introduce an Atlasian version of the Defending Domestic Produce Production Act, based on a real-life version of the law heavily supported by Florida's leaders and agricultural community.

But we know that this crop-dumping affects farmers all throughout the country.

That is a campaign promise on my end. Because neither of the governors I spoke to about this issue are equipped to deal with it themselves. And while I support free trade and acknowledge the benefits it has provided for Frémont and the country, I also recognize that these benefits have not been universal.

In order to get rural Atlasia on the move again, we must restructure our trade laws so that all players are on an even playing field.

So what does my plan for domestic production actually do? Current law requires petitioners to demonstrate harm as measured from a nationwide and year-round perspective, and this bill would acknowledge the unique circumstances of seasonal fruit and vegetable farmers who are directly harmed by Mexico's practices in various geographic regions during different seasons. The bill itself has already been written, and needs only minor tweaks before it can be presented.

But a vote for me is a vote for a senator with a plan. We're going to fix the term length discrepancy between regional and at-large senators. We're going to ensure that the new system works for everyone.

And I will work closely with governors and members of the agricultural community in pushing for this change at the national level. And here in Nebraska, you'll always have an ally in Governor Nelson!

Governor, why don't you say a few words?

1. Photo by Ben Prepelka | Ben Prepelka Photography
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2021, 05:45:43 PM »

As we enter the final days of the federal campaign, I made a visit to Santa Fe to stump for Governor Luis Santos and capitalize on his accomplishments and stellar way of governance. It is a style I have always sought to emulate myself in every office I have held, and will continue to as your senator!

Santa Fe, New Mexico1
drive-in mega-rally, social distancing enforced in non-vaccinated section - livestreamed on NM Labor Website

Hello and hola, Santa Fe!

It is an honor and a privilege to be speaking to you all today with Governor Santos and various members of the Labor Caucus in the House and Senate.

I have high hopes for this state, and confidence that we are going to reelect Governor Santos and send him back to the capitol with a mandate in the statehouse. Polls show that a whopping 60% approve of what the Santos administration has accomplished! Governor Santos' policies and success have been compared to none other than that of our own First Minister Truman up in Denver. New Mexico is currently THIRD in the nation for vaccinations, no thanks in small part to legislation shepherded by former Speaker Siren and concurring legislation here in the state capital.

The Governor has also been very transparent, with weekly livestreams via his "Say, Luis" program. That is Frémont at its best. That is setting an example for other states to look towards.

But before we elect Governor Santos, there is an equally important election coming up this very weekend, in which I am running to be senator for the Mountain West region which includes this state. And I would be remiss not to follow the Governor's example in demonstrating transparency by speaking to you all today and outlining my priorities for the new Senate.

I'm going to fight for protection of our national parks system and public lands. I'm going to lobby for fair, staggered terms between our regional, subregional, and at-large senators. I'm going to aid our next president, Sev, and be an outspoken voice for sensible foreign policy and the cause for peace, while also keeping bad actors like China in check. And I'm going to support policies and goals like those in the Red-Green New Deal, because climate change is an existential threat that directly affects all of us.

And you know that Governor Santos will always have my ear in doing what's best for the people of New Mexico and the Mountain West.

I will also continue to maintain a public office so that people can follow my record, the legislation I introduce, floor statements, and votes. If you help elect me, I will be as transparent to the Mountain West as Governor Santos has been to New Mexico. And that is a statement that can be backed up by a record of activity and honesty, as I strove for in my last term in the Senate.

Now the pundits may differ as to how and where Labor is most likely going to be successful in the federal and state elections, but if there's one thing that 17 years of following elections has taught me, it is that every vote counts and nothing can be taken for granted.

So get registered, vote this weekend, and then get back to the polls on the 28th and reelect Governor Santos along with a commanding Labor majority in the statehouse!

Thank you, Santa Fe! Dave bless you, Dave bless New Mexico, Dave bless the Commonwealth, and Dave bless the Republic of Atlasia!!

1. Earth Traditions and The Death Midwife | https://deathmidwife.org/santa-fe-nm
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 03:08:40 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2021, 03:31:37 PM by Scott🦋 »

Today I made my last stop of my Senate campaign in Omaha, Nebraska, to capitalize on the bridge-building Governor Nelson has accomplished as well as the importance of working across the aisle. As your senator, I will always do what is in the best interests of the Mountain/Interior West, and I will work with anyone of any party to accomplish that.

Omaha, Nebraska1
drive-in mega-rally, social distancing enforced in non-vaccinated section - livestreamed on NE Labor Website

Hello, Nebraska! It's good to be here once again with Governor Nelson, as well as our candidates for statehouse, Mayor Marshall Tucker and Councilmember Samantha Wiggins.

Well, this marks my final speech as candidate for Senate. Although, regardless of who wins this weekend, I fully intend on returning to the state and making our last pitch for Nebraska Labor in the capital city of Lincoln. But this weekend, Nebraska has a choice, as does the rest of the Interior West, in electing our next government.

A couple weeks ago, we saw the Democratic Alliance make a brief, and unusual, attempt at swaying you all by running hard-left in a state that has traditionally been conservative. Since then, they have endorsed federal candidates who are clearly on the political right side of the spectrum. But even here in Nebraska, where their candidate for governor is running against non-existent tax cuts, is apparently still unaware that state and local taxes do not and have not existed in Frémont, despite Mr. McHenry being a member of the state Senate!

The Democratic Alliance simply does not know Nebraska or Frémont, otherwise they would not continue running on falsehoods here in just about every campaign since their infamous Alaska campaign. And they certainly wouldn't be running a campaign that is so out of tune with the people of this state.

But while our opponents are working on their political identity crisis, let's turn to the positives. Governor Nelson has been a dealmaker who's built consensus in the capital. All of his initiatives have enjoyed bipartisan, tri-partisan, quad-partisan support and so on. Governor Nelson has demonstrated a willingness to work with anyone, of any party, to make Nebraska and cities like Omaha one of the best in the nation to raise a family.

And like Governor Nelson, I intend on working with any president and any senator to achieve common goals that benefit the country, protect our environment, and create good-paying jobs for the Interior West. In the Senate, I voted multiple times for elder statesman North Carolina Yankee as PPT. I did that because he earned the confidence of the body, in his years of public service, to carry out the duties of a non-partisan, non-ideological position.

We see that here in Nebraska, where the Federalist Speaker has enjoyed the support of a Labor majority.

And we are going to reelect Governor Nelson and, with him, great candidates like Mayor Tucker and Councilmember Wiggins who both have sterling records of managing this city and leaving none of its residents behind.

The people of Nebraska are smart. They know when someone's trying to pull the wool over their eyes. And they can have confidence that Governor Nelson will continue working in a way that is to the benefit of more than just his party.

I would like to thank Nebraska for giving me a venue to run my first campaign for Senate in a very long time, and I want to thank Governor Nelson for supporting me in my bid. Indeed, despite our differences and occasional criticisms of each other, we as Laborites stand for the same fundamental goal of guaranteeing universal access to health care, to jobs and opportunity, and for safe neighborhoods.

You all have some very important choices to make this month, Nebraska. I hope that I can have your support for my campaign this weekend. And as I've said, you can bet I'll be here before the 28th for a huge rally in Lincoln. We take nothing for granted here in Frémont, despite its partisan lean.

So get registered, vote this weekend, and then head on back to the polls to reelect Governor Nelson and a robust Labor majority in the statehouse!

Thank you, Omaha. Dave bless you, Dave bless this great state, Dave bless Frémont, and Dave bless the Republic of Atlasia!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm headed back to Wyoming to meet with my campaign team in anticipation of this weekend's elections. But first I would like to introduce our next speaker, Mayor Marshall Tucker!

1. https://www.visitomaha.com/blog/post/travel-with-a-local-omaha-nebraska/
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »

Polls are now OPEN! Please make sure you are registered in the 2nd Senate District before you cast your vote, and then vote Labor up and down the ballot!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »

Happy Juneteenth to all Atlasians! I wish everyone a great weekend and for great turnout after the second and third days of voting have ended.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2021, 02:10:53 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 02:17:00 PM by Scott🦋 »

Senate Victory Speech
[socially-distanced rally in Jackson, WY, broadcast throughout all of the District 2 states, including Nebraska and New Mexico]

Good afternoon, Jackson! How are we doing today?!

[audience cheers]

I gotta say, this was an exciting election. Frémont, the Mountain/Interior West, and the rest of the nation had a choice, and we chose to build on the progress we've made on state, regional, and national levels, to fix the economy and provide strong leadership throughout this pandemic. As always, Labor delivered. And we're going to keep building on the New Great Society in our transition to a new government.

I want to congratulate Utah Neolib on his campaign. He has been very gracious in the results tonight, and I wish him well. Let's give him a round of applause!

[audience applauds]

And I also want to congratulate all candidates, both those who won and those who lost, for keeping things interesting for all of us. And I will look forward to working with them

I want to thank all my volunteers. I want to thank everyone who helped us get to this point. And I want to make a special shout-out to dead0man. It means a lot to me to win this election with bipartisan support. It truly does.

Ladies and gentlemen, our campaign has won the state of Nebraska!

[audience cheers]

That was no small feat, helped in large part by Governor Bob Nelson and his campaigning on my behalf. Thank you, Governor!!

But as we transition to the unicameral Senate, we need strong, committed leadership in both the executive and legislative branch. That is why I will run to be the first President pro tempore of the new Senate.

We need a leader who can be here full-time, and we need a leader with experience. I want to work with Senator Yankee and Vice President-elect Blair: two individuals I respect very much, and will be honored to work with.

As has been the case in the past, I will be an impartial leader who will always exercise fair and proper judgment. And in anticipation of that, I have written a modified version of the Senate rules to guide the single chamber, which I will link to below.

After these rules are debated and amended, my first priority will be to introduce a constitutional amendment merging the regional elections with the subregional elections, and raising the term length of At-Large Senators to four months.

Those are my priorities for the new Senate, and I look forward to getting to work on day one.

Congratulations to our new president, and congratulations to all the winners of this election. Win or lose, we saw a lot of spirited campaigning this month and I'm proud to have been a part of it!

And now, the real work begins.

Let's keep moving forward. I see a bright future for this country: a renewed confidence in our economy, and a post-COVID world. Now is a time for optimism.

Thank you, once again, to my supporters this evening! Dave bless you, Dave bless Fremont, and Dave bless the Republic of Atlasia!!

My new Senate rules proposal changes very little, but I still urge all senators and senators-elect to read through the bill. On the first day of the new session, VP Blair will need to introduce the rules package as the very first bill/resolution we consider. Comments and amendments will be needed.

The rules package might be read here. Smile
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »

Congratulations on winning the election!
A bit late, but I already conceded on discord
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2021, 05:00:58 PM »

Senate Victory Speech
broadcast throughout all of the District 2 states

Why does this give me Hunger Games vibes?

Anyway, congratulations on your election. I'm excited to be able to serve alongside you in our new Senate!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2021, 02:10:52 PM »

Congrats on your election to the Senate!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2021, 04:36:58 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2021, 04:40:38 PM by Senator-elect Scott🦋 »

A day late, but step into my Nyman office for some delicious Oreo ice cream cake! The staff surprised me for my tenth Atlas-versary. Smile

Don't forget that swear-in time is at noon EST on Friday, folks!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »

A day late, but step into my Nyman office for some delicious Oreo ice cream cake! The staff surprised me for my tenth Atlas-versary. Smile

And on Olawakandi day too!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2021, 11:21:52 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Wished I had come to this realization sooner, but about 15 minutes ago, I realized that you know, "Sestak wrote this" and his fetish for DST is well established.

Sure enough it explicitly says new constitution takes effect at Eastern Daylight Time.

1. Except as otherwise specified within this article, the provisions of this constitution, once ratified by two thirds of the regions, shall take effect and supersede the Fourth Constitution at noon Eastern Daylight time on the Second of July in the year two thousand and twenty-one.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »

"Sestak wrote this" and his fetish for DST is well established

It was Adam who pushed for the initial DST changes, not me!

At least initially I opposed the changes since it was easier to run election ops Sunday evening with the extra hour on the West Coast.

All I have done is eradicate all vestiges of standard time summer usage since then in order to maintain consistency.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »

Is swear-in time not at noon? Huh
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2021, 09:25:02 PM »

Your post said EST (Standard) which is 1:00 PM EDT (Daylight). The constitution specifies 12:00 PM EDT.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »

Statement on the Rules Package

I would like to thank my fellow senators, and Senator North Carolina Yankee in particular, for going through the painstaking process with me of reviewing these rules line by line. They are reasonably adjusted for an 18-member body. And the simple math is that 9 votes gets you a tie, 10 votes gets you a majority, 11 votes is three-fifths, and 12 votes is two-thirds (not counting abstentions and non-votes).

I will reiterate my suggestion to all parties to delegate whipping responsibilities to one person. In a split chamber, it can only help your party or coalition to be present. Labor will be adopting this custom and I encourage others to follow suit, for the betterment of the game.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »

do you still have some cake left
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix