Who will be the progressive champion in 2024 and beyond?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who will be the progressive champion in 2024 and beyond?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who will be the progressive champion in 2024 and beyond?  (Read 5595 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2020, 06:46:03 AM »

Bernie Sanders has had a nice shot at the presidency in both 2016 and 2020. Who could run for president in future elections to build on those same policies and vision that won him so much support? I have no clue since there are so few independent-minded Democrats.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »

AOC is the obvious answer but she may be too young, there's no one else capable of leading a movement
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »

The great senator of Vermont Bernie Sanders will be the progressive champion of 2024. Being 78 with a heart attack under his belt didn’t stop him from fulfilling that role this year.

50 Stent comin in hot
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 03:11:37 AM »

AOC will never be Prez
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »

If she were elected president, I would never look at this country the same way.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:30:24 AM »

Abrams after she wins in 2022
jake_arlington

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »

(There won't be one, just like usual.)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »

I don't think that another progressive will be the successor, but rather another populist will do so, as Bernie's movement is much more focused on an "Us vs. Them" mentality than any other version of the progressive movement.

However, I just don't know if there's currently a good fit in or near the spotlight. If you want the best chance of resonating with the core audience & expanding it, then you need a charismatic, left-wing populist to fill that role, preferably a younger candidate at that (somebody in their 40s or 50s instead of their 70s). I honestly can't really think of anybody who fits that description with a high enough profile at the moment.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 05:32:36 PM »

If we're talking about as early as 2024, then I could still see someone like Sherrod Brown running and taking up that mantle.  Maybe Tammy Baldwin as well in the event that Biden picks her as his running mate and she performs well, but the ticket loses to Trump. She may run, but I can't see AOC being quite ready.

By 2028 there will likely be a whole new crop candidates who have made their name by then, but that's so far off that its impossible to say who that could be.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »

If we're talking about as early as 2024, then I could still see someone like Sherrod Brown running and taking up that mantle.  Maybe Tammy Baldwin as well in the event that Biden picks her as his running mate and she performs well, but the ticket loses to Trump. She may run, but I can't see AOC being quite ready.

By 2028 there will likely be a whole new crop candidates who have made their name by then, but that's so far off that its impossible to say who that could be.

A senator from Ohio or Wisconsin would be a bad choice to draw from since they're not remotely safe seats & Democrats badly need to keep as many Senate seats as possible.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »

AOC or maybe Khanna.
jake_arlington

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:20 PM »

But that's the point after all, if Bernie's rise in popularity and appeal had been predictable then he never would have been allowed to blossom, bloom, and shine in the first place. Establishment would have worked day in, and night out to stifle him earlier on during career and prevent his name recognition from breaking out of the field in order to keep power and maintain grip over all control.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 01:59:14 AM »

Joe Kennedy is, AOC supported Bernie, whose days are numbered as Senator
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 04:25:27 AM »

I've been looking at this post for 5 minutes and I still have no idea what it means
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 05:10:58 AM »

I've been looking at this post for 5 minutes and I still have no idea what it means

It's olawakandi; there is no need to question the idea behind the message.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »

Lol @AOC being a progressive champion,  she is the Debbie Wasserman schultz of the Dem party,  who supported Bernie
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 08:31:24 AM »

Lol @AOC being a progressive champion,  she is the Debbie Wasserman schultz of the Dem party,  who supported Bernie

Unfortunately, Debbie Wasserman Schultz is still the Debbie Wasserman Schultz of the Democratic Party.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »

Lol @AOC being a progressive champion,  she is the Debbie Wasserman schultz of the Dem party,  who supported Bernie

Can you kindly explain what this means instead of leaving it on the porch and ding-dong ditching?

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »

If she were elected president, I would never look at this country the same way.

Remember...  Donald Trump is President.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 05:48:17 PM »

If we're talking about as early as 2024, then I could still see someone like Sherrod Brown running and taking up that mantle.  Maybe Tammy Baldwin as well in the event that Biden picks her as his running mate and she performs well, but the ticket loses to Trump. She may run, but I can't see AOC being quite ready.

A senator from Ohio or Wisconsin would be a bad choice to draw from since they're not remotely safe seats & Democrats badly need to keep as many Senate seats as possible.

Yeah, I don't think Baldwin's chances of getting picked are that high, I just figured that if she were that could help set her up for a run in 2024 in the event of a Biden defeat.

While I don't think there is any chance that he'll be picked for VP this time around, Brown seems the more likely of the two to make a run as he did consider it this time around. But then again he came out against Medicare-for-All and the Green New Deal which would be marks against him among progressives.
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 12:05:36 PM »

A big problem for the left/progressives is that there is a big generational gap between the two biggest names, AOC and Bernie, both age-wise and with regards to time spent in government. This makes it tricky to answer your question. There are many more establishment Dems to fill the gap between freshman and experienced elders.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »

A big problem for the left/progressives is that there is a big generational gap between the two biggest names, AOC and Bernie, both age-wise and with regards to time spent in government. This makes it tricky to answer your question. There are many more establishment Dems to fill the gap between freshman and experienced elders.

This is true. Maybe not by 2024, but certainly soon enough, AOC & many like her - probably by the time she's in her 40s or 50s - will be the 'face(s) of the party,' so to speak.
chibul
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 05:32:23 PM »

Nobody thinks Sanders is going to run in 2024? If Chuck Grassley can run for re-election for a 6 year senate term in Iowa at the age of 84, why can't Sanders enter the democratic primary at the age of 82 in 2024? I wouldn't even be shocked if he primaries Joe Biden, if Biden wins and decides to run for a 2nd term.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »

If Dems lose its Gavin Newsom, if Biden is elected,  Joe Kennedy and Tim Ryan 2028, if they get their senate seats
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »

Nobody thinks Sanders is going to run in 2024? If Chuck Grassley can run for re-election for a 6 year senate term in Iowa at the age of 84, why can't Sanders enter the democratic primary at the age of 82 in 2024? I wouldn't even be shocked if he primaries Joe Biden, if Biden wins and decides to run for a 2nd term.

Because losing twice & still trying to run again as an octogenarian would just be embarrassing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies