Super Tuesday Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:13:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Super Tuesday Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94]
Author Topic: Super Tuesday Results Thread  (Read 91366 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: March 30, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »

Bunch more vote dumps from California... so let's review what's still oustanding.

1.) Humboldt County- 4.1k Ballots (~2.6k Provisional & ~1.5k Conditional)

Although I am inherently suspicious about counties that post unprocessed numbers that end with even increments of 100s or 1000s, these numbers look to be in the ballpark zone, considering there were some 28k DEM PRIM ballots cast in 2016 and right now we are clocking at just about 27k.

These ballots should clock heavily Sanders in his best County in California, where out of the last batch of some 2.3k DEM ballots (predominately VbM) counted they broke down (Sanders-54%, Biden- 20%, Bloomberg- 4%, Warren- 17%).

2.) Mendocino County- 1.8k Ballots   (1.6k Provisional, 200 Conditional)

We haven't seen any updates from Mendocino for awhile, where the bulk of the votes were dumped on 3/13 (all VbMs) and added an additional ~10k votes from the ED & 3/4 numbers...

(Sanders- 46%; Biden- 21%; Bloomberg-8%, Warren-16%)

Based on what we have seen before I would imagine the remaining ballots with both break overwhelmingly Democrat, but also heavily Sanders with Warren getting a decent bounce as well, with Biden not being particularly popular among Democratic voters in the North Coast of California...

3.) Lake County- 9.8k Ballots (8.4k VbM, 1.2k Provisionals, 215 Conditionals).

As discussed elsewhere Lake County effectively hasn't updated their numbers since Election Night and won't until they certify their election results.

A decent chunk of outstanding ballots are likely to be Republican ballots, in a County which swung hard towards Trump in '16 with HRC only winning by something like 4% points with 10% going to 3rd Party Candidates....

Although it was a +14% Sanders County in '16 the demographics of Lake County haven't been the best for Sanders in the '20 DEM PRIM (45% of the TOTAL POP is 50+ Yrs, heavily Anglo especially among the VAP)...

Final results in Lake County will be interesting to watch, since right now we're only sitting on 40% of the DEM PRIM numbers. Bloomberg won first wave of VbM over Sanders, and Biden won the ED vote over Sanders....

4.) Placer County- 530 Votes

Currently Biden's best 2nd best County at 32.0%, with Solano County being his best joint in the 'hood.

Since I haven't really covered Placer County at all, firstly it should be noted that this is the most heavily Republican large Population Center at a GE Level within California, only exceed by Kern County when it came to the '16 GE PRES results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placer_County,_California

2012 GE:                                    171,711 Votes (58% Trump- 39% Obama)
2016 GE:                                    186,024 Votes (51% Trump- 40% HRC)
2016 DEM PRIM:                           46,655 Votes (54.1% HRC - 44.8% Sanders)  +9.3% HRC
2020 DEM PRIM: (3/27)                 58,815 Votes  (126% from '16 DEM PRIM numbers!!!)

The vast majority of the population lives within the 'burbs of Metro 'Sac including Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, and Auburn...

All of these except for Auburn tend to skew relatively upper-middle class, when you look at MHI within the region...

5.) Yolo County- 4.1k Ballots     (2.7k Provisional, 800 Conditional, 500 "other")

So Yolo has a mixture of College Students, combined with a larger working-class Latino population in places like Woodland and West Sac....

Yolo is counting slowly, but if we look at the ballots counted on 3/13 vs the next updated on 3/27 we see the following:

4,412 additional ballots counted (Which likely include virtually all of the 1.1k Vbm from 3/13, as well as a decent chunk of 2.7k Provisionals, and the 2.9k Conditionals, and the 1.4k Others...)

Of this batch:

Sanders-51.3%
Biden-   18.0%
Bloomberg- 7.0%
Warren-15.0%

I would imagine that both the Sanders and Warren numbers will increase a bit more, while Biden drops a bit lower...

6.) Marin County- 1.1k Ballots-   

Official Marin County website says there might be something like 1.1k TOT ballots, and State website says ~770 TV.

Marin County, perhaps not surprisingly was one of the top 5 Biden Counties within Cali....

Also one of Bloomer's best Counties within CA....

Not tons of votes outstanding, but still....

Last batch from Marin between 3/13 and their 3/25 update:

TOT DEM PRIM Votes----   4,928

Sanders-       31.0%
Biden-           39.7%
Bloomberg-   13.2%
Warren-        14.4%

So even the last batch of votes from Marin likely will still be Plurality Biden, even if not the "Left" (Sanders-Warren might be lucky to capture 50% of remaining DEM PRIM ballots).

7.) San Mateo County-  9.2k Ballots   (5.8k VbM, 3.1k "Other")

Last Update from 3/13 on "uncounted ballot report"....   

Vast majority of these outstanding ballots will likely be for the DEM PRIM.

I wouldn't expect to see the numbers change dramatically considering the demographics of the County, possibly some marginal gains for Sanders & Warren, depending on how the Conditional Ballots shake out.

Here is a place where it appears NPP voting in the DEM PRIM had a significant impact.... we're already at 118% of 2016 DEM PRIM levels....

8.) Santa Clara County-  1k ballots?

Personally I'm a bit skeptical that there still 1k Conditional ballots outstanding as per the "unprocessed ballots page".... As I mentioned before I don't trust county numbers that end in even increments of hundreds or thousands of ballots. Additionally, there were only (40) additional ballots counted between 3/26 and 3/27.... we shall see...

Also, they've been stuck with about 1k ballot estimate since 3/19...

9.) Stanislaus County-  16.8k ballots

7.0 VbM, 5.9k Provisional, 1.8k Conditional, 2.0k "Other"

These numbers look plausible based upon the timestamps...

Although these numbers sounds a bit high compared to '16 DEM PRIM numbers, there is a good chance that quite a few of these VbM ballots are actually PUB ballots in a roughly split HRC-Trump County. Also AVR might have played a bit more of a factor here, and additionally there is a chance that Sanders field organizations targeted more heavily Latino DEM electorate in '16 than in '20.

10.) Santa Cruz County-  ~850 ballots?

Although there are an estimated 4.0k ballots listed on the unreported ballot sheet, it has not been updated since 3/20s update, and there was a dump of 3.1k ballots on 3/27, which were roughly 80% provisional & conditional ballots.

Sanders-73%,  Biden-11%, Bloomberg- 3%, Warren- 9%

Needless to say what little is left out there should heavily break Sanders as per the last batch.

11.) Kern County- 5.7k Ballots

VbM-  1,191
Conditional- 4,542

Although it's possible that some of these VbMs are Republican ballots in a heavily Trump County, although I would imagine that the overwhelming qty of conditional ballots will be DEM.

The batch of ballots released on 3/19 (4,366 Votes), which appears to have been heavily Conditional Ballots broke down:

Sanders- 54%
Biden-    27%
Bloomberg- 8%
Warren-      6%

It seems quite reasonable that the final batch should be similar...

12.) Santa Barbara County-   10.9k Ballots

Over 90% Provisional ballots.

We haven't received an update since 3/13 and these numbers look accurate....

Outstanding ballots should break heavily DEM, and should skew heavily Sanders, based upon the demographics and what we have seen elsewhere....

13.) Ventura County- 320 Ballots

Not much out there after their 3/27/20 update....

Can't imagine it changing the overall % numbers.

If we look at the 5,623 ballots counted between 3/20 and 3/27 (Overwhelmingly Provisional and conditional)

Sanders-     50%
Biden-        30%
Bloomberg-  8%
Warren-       9%

14.) San Bernadino- 2.0k (?)

Rule #1 never trust reporting numbers on counties with strings of zeros for uncounted ballots.

We won't be able to test that theory yet...

If we look at the 3,229 ballots counted between 3/20 >3/27 updates...

Sanders-   54%
Biden-      30%
Bloomberg- 7%
Warren-      6%

15.) Riverside County-  21.0k (? Ballots)

See Rule #1....

However, as of their last update, Riverside County was at 112% of '16 DEM PRIM results, and considering some of these might be PUB ballots, but also a relatively fast-growing county with DEM organization, would not be suprised to see roughly 20k ballots still outstanding.

If we look at the updates from 3/18 > 3/25:

5,795 new ballots

Sanders:        57%
Biden:           28%
Bloomberg:     7%
Warren:          6%

16.) San Diego- 1.2k Ballots (?)

Again see rule #1....

At this point with 495k ballots counted, I doubt this will move the % numbers...

As I mentioned the other day, it appears that CD-49 flipped (most likely as a result of SD County ballots that hit the North County area of the district).

17.) Los Angeles County-   2.5k (?) Ballots

Official numbers from 3/24 showed 3,601 remaining total ballots.... There were 1.1k DEM ballots counted between then and 3/27.

So likely less than 2.5k valid TOTAL ballots...

Shouldn't change the % margins at all within LA County, unless there is some weird rounding issue, let alone enough to flip any CDs....

18.) Imperial County--- 1k (?)

There were 1,634 remaining ballots as of their 3/19 report..... there have been almost 500 Votes Counted since...

Best case scenario 1k TOT ballots remaining....

These should be overwhelmingly DEM and Sanders, based upon results we have seen from this overwhelmingly Latino County in the far SE corner of CA....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2326 on: March 30, 2020, 10:18:47 PM »

Still effectively laid off while still receiving my wages, so sifting through Alameda County California results a bit more.

Newark, California

Pop: 44.7k
Age: VAP tends to skew higher than statewide avg in the the 30-60 category, lowest in the 18-29, tracks slighly lower in the 60+
Race/Ethnicity: 26% Anglo, 30% Asian, 34% Latino, 4% Mixed, 5% Black
--- Latinos (83% of Mexican Ancestry, 8% Central American,
--- Asians Ancestry  (30% Filipino Ancestry, 21% Chinese, 20% Indian, 12% Vietnamese, 3% Laotian, 3% Pakistani)
MHI: $92.0k/Yr
Occupations: Tend to mirror the Statewide average, but Production is significantly higher, as is Computers & Math.
Industries: Manufacturing (17.3%) !!!!, Health Care about Statewide average, and Professional at 11% is quite a bit over statewide average.
Educational Attainment: only 37% with a post-secondary degree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark,_California

2008 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 6,778 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Obama-  2,309 (34.1%)
HRC-      4,189  (61.8%)

2016 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 6,362 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Sanders- 2,856    (44.9%)
HRC-      3,458     (54.4%)

2020 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 7,014 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS    (110% of '16 DEM PRIM)

Sanders-      2,775   (39.6%)
Biden-          1,945    (27.7%)
Bloomberg-     940    (13.4%)
Warren           645     (9.2%)
Others-           709    (10.1%)

(16) Precincts in Newark, CA...

Sanders 14/16    (Low 27.7% and High 52.3%)
Biden--- 2/16      (Low 20.3% and High 32.2%)
Bloomberg--- Placed 3rd in all Counties (Low 9.7% and High 18.1%).

Let's look a bit at the respective strengths of the various candidates by precinct and Social Demographic formations:

Sanders: Precinct 850800 and 852100....

Naturally, we need to start with looking at Sanders support among Latino-Americans in California in 2020 within a plurality Latino City...

These concentrations appear to heavily overlap with the most heavily Sanders precincts in Newark, CA....

Now, we need to look at those parts of the City with the Highest Median Household Income....

Now let's look at the places with the highest % of Anglo Voters....

Let's take a peek at the Asian-American Population....

So what to make of all of this???

1.) Biggest collapse of Sanders was clearly in Biden's biggest precincts which also tended to be the most Anglo and wealthier precincts within the City (851300 & 851500).

2.) Heavily Asian-American precincts are a bit distorted bcs of many Indian-American voters who are contract workers within the Tech sector, but are non-citizens...

We see this pattern most heavily in SE Newark....

3.) It does not appear that Latino-American turnout more heavily advantaged Sanders compared to 2016, compared with increased Anglo-American Turnout.

4.) Filipino-Americans are a huge % of the population in the flat-lands of the East Bay, and also tend to trend more similar to Anglo voting populations, depending upon Social-Class, Occupations, and Income levels...

5.) It's actually a bit crazy to look at how many HRC '08>Sanders '16 Voters are floating around in Newark....

I love the Bay Area, and Cali is the most Multi-Ethnic State in the Union, so even looking at smaller community precinct results is fascinating for me, regardless of the outcome of the DEM PRIM.

I'll keep rolling to cure my boredom with the COVID-19 blues....

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2327 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »

Sifting through the Alameda County numbers a bit more:

Albany, California

Pop: 19.4k
Age: VAP tends to skew higher than statewide avg in the the 30-49 category, lowest in the 18-29, tracks slighly lower in the 50+
Race/Ethnicity: 49% Anglo, 26% Asian, 13% Latino, 6% Mixed, 4% Black
--- Latinos (52% of Mexican Ancestry, 18% Central American, 22% South American (!)
--- Asians  (48% Chinese Ancestry, 11% Korean, 9% Japanese, 8% Indian, 5% Filipino)
MHI: $85.5k/Yr
Occupations: Education (15%), Mgmt (14%), Science (9%), Computers & Math (6%) all score higher than statewide numbers generally by significant margins...
Industries: Education (23%), Professional (16%), Health Care (15%)
Educational Attainment: 80% with a post-secondary degree (!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany,_California

2008 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 5,539 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Obama-  59.8%
HRC-      35.3%

2016 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 6,368 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Sanders- 51.8%
HRC-      47.9%

2020 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 7,251 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS    (114% of '16 DEM PRIM)

Sanders-   36.1%
Warren-    31.0%
Biden-      20.3%
Bloomberg- 6.6%
Others-       5.9%

(12) Precincts in Albany, CA...

Warren 3/12
Sanders 9/12
Biden--- placed 3rd in all with his highest precinct 27.6% and lowest precinct 9.0%
Bloomberg--- Placed 4th in all with a low of 2.8% and his highest at 9.0%

Here is a precinct map from the 2020 CA PRIM for Albany, California.

Let's look a bit at the respective strengths of the various candidates:

SANDERS:

Precinct 260100--- (635) DEM PRIM Votes

Sanders--- 55%
Warren---  31%
Biden---      9%

It basically overlaps with Census Tract 420400....

Roughly 60% of the TOTAL Population is aged 22-44 years, with 32% of the population under the age of 18 !!!

Population--- 36% Asian, 27% Anglo, 27% Latino, 9% Mixed....

Looks like it was actually an HRC precinct in'16---  (54% HRC- 46% Sanders)....

What's going on here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Village

So it's looking like Sanders support increased dramatically between '16 & '20 among "Married UC Students & Grad Students".

Census Tract 420300.

Precinct 260300--- (734) DEM PRIM Votes

Sanders-       41.3%
Warren-        27.9%
Biden-          18.5%
Bloomberg-    6.8%
Others-          5.4%

Precinct 260400--- (849) DEM PRIM Votes

Sanders-       38.8%
Warren-        26.7%
Biden-          18.1%
Bloomberg-    9.0%
Others-          7.4%

Only 39% of the population is "Anglo", and roughly 36% Asian-American, 10% Latino, 5% Black, 6% "mixed"....

Population spikes in the 35-55 Year Range, with a much lower % of 18-34 Yrs, drops down a bit in the 55-60 yrs, and then jumps back up again in the 60-70 Yr olds.

Race/Ethnicity--- The population of Mexican-Americans now jumps to roughly 75% of the Latino population.

Asian-American population is still running roughly 50% Chinese-American, with Koreans and Japanese-Americans pretty steady...

MHI--- Jumps up to $86.4k/Yr with Educational attainment at 79% with a Post-secondary degree...

So okay...

2016 DEM PRIM:   (1,235 DEM PRIM Votes)

Sanders--- 704 Votes      (57.0%)
HRC---      527 Votes       (42.7%)
Others---     4

So now that we're getting a bit of a flavor of the City, time to flip over and look at the strong Warren precincts, in a part of the Bay Area where she performed extremely well...

Here is a map of Median Household Income and a few other demographics from official US Census Data sources...

Census Tract 420600 which is where we see the the $116k/yr, 69% Anglo, and 83% post-secondary corresponds precisely with Warren's strongest precincts within Albany, California...

Warren won precincts 262000 and 262100, capturing roughly 37-38% of the Democratic Primary Vote, with Sanders only running about 26%, with Biden performing a bit above average, with also one of Bloomberg's best precincts in the House....

2020:   1,237 DEM PRIM VOTES

Sanders-      25.8%
Warren-       37.3%
Biden-         22.7%
Bloomberg-   7.6%
Others-         6.5%

If we crunch the '16 DEM PRIM numbers for these same two precincts...

TOTAL= 1,129 DEM PRIM VOTES

Sanders- 43.8%
HRC-      55.8%

So although I am simply reporting the actual numbers and not trying to make any particular point here, but one of the fascinating things about California, is that political coalitions among Democratic Primary candidates perhaps are much more fluid than one might imagine....

Also a bit too much time on my hands with the "Coronavirus Blues", looking at precinct level results from small places in California.... Wink

Still each piece of data tells a story in the way that exit polls don't, let alone looking at simply raw numbers in County level results...

Stay tuned for more precinct level data from California...

The longer they keep me out of work, the more time on my hands, and although listen to the news in the background, and could be playing some of my favorite Computer Games, would rather be active than idle in these uneasy times....

I'd be curious to see what you can make of Lake Tahoe. I know Truckee plays a part in why Nevada Co. is such a bellwether county for the state. I know South Lake Tahoe is the one liberal spot in all of El Dorado...but it's always outvoted by Placerville and Ed Dorado Hills. But the parts of Placer County on the lake get oft ignored.

I'd also be curious to see how Stateline, NV comparesto the rest of Douglas, NV since it voted fir Buttigieg in the Caucus...likewise for Incline Village, often overlooked by Reno where Washoe is concerned.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2328 on: March 31, 2020, 06:01:26 PM »

Oh hello there

This is just a friendly reminder that Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar were still in the presidential race during the same month that we are currently in

(screams)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2329 on: March 31, 2020, 06:09:42 PM »

Oh hello there

This is just a friendly reminder that Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar were still in the presidential race during the same month that we are currently in

(screams)

A month is a political lifetime.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2330 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:01 PM »

Oh hello there

(screams)

A month is a political lifetime.

I have been tracking their numbers in California from the daily county returns as well, although unfortunately not Steyer on a daily basis....

This just goes to show how quickly things change.... it's basically been two weeks where we were sent home with "paid furlough", and as of today we have had to notify several hundred folks that it is now "unpaid furlough"....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2331 on: March 31, 2020, 09:28:40 PM »

Relatively slow updates today from California, as not only is vote counting slowing, but additionally the State Election system is slower to update results from County systems...

Mendocino County--- 3/30 Update

"Official" results (Not sure exactly what that means, but math looks likes there really isn't much if anything out there based upon what we do know).

2016 GE:    37,915 Votes

Clinton---    22,079 (58.2%)
Trump---     10,888 (28.7%)

2016 DEM PRIM:    18,426 DEM Ballots

Sanders---    12,259 (66.5%)
Clinton---       6,048  (32.8%)

2020 DEM PRIM: 18,754 DEM Ballots (102% from '16 DEM PRIM)

Sanders---     8,591  (45.8%)
Biden---         3,545  (18.9%)
Bloomberg--   1,710  ( 9.1%)
Warren---      2,696   (14.4%)
Others---       2,212   (11.8%)

So what's going on here?

Mendocino County is an overwhelmingly Democratic County as the Federal and Statewide Level...

It was also one of Sanders best Counties in the '16 DEM PRIM....

A surge of new "suburban voters" would not appear to be the issue here, where only ~(220) new numbers were added to the TOT POP between '16 and '18.

Mendocino County is one of the oldest Counties in CA in terms of age, with 41% of the TOT POP 50+, and almost 22% under the age of 18...   

Mendocino is also much "Whiter" than average for most parts of California with 66% of the TOT POP self-identified White.

Although in theory the Latino numbers (23.9%) might point to answers, the realidad is that the vast majority of Latinos within Mendocino County are under the age of 30, with the highest % population concentrated in the 0-17 Yr range.

Mendocino County also has an extremely low household income rate compared to most parts of California, as jobs have increasingly shifted from what used to be paid good union jobs at the Georgia-Pacific Mills outside of Ukiah to more of a retail, Medical Services, and low wage service-sector economy...

So what's pretty clear here in the "Golden Rolling Hills of Northern California", is that once again the Sanders/Warren split for the Progressive Lane damaged both sides.

Meanwhile, Biden likely swiped some older Sanders '16 DEM Males in the Coastal areas and hills...

Not tons of posh places here, although the vineyards were starting to creep up from Sonoma County way back in the early-mid '90s, but can't find a Census tract where the MHI is much over $75k/Yr...

Really looking forward to precinct results here, since the SoVC from the '16 DEM PRIM doesn't really tell much by place, but now we have a much more complicated scenario....

Regardless, margins in the Sanders strongholds of rural NorCal (Even in places where Biden way under-performed HRC) was something that we observed first in places like rural IA & NH in an extremely crowded DEM PRIM of '20.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2332 on: April 01, 2020, 08:50:25 PM »

Let's take a look at how a fairly affluent community off the 680 voted:

Dublin, California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin,_California

Pop: 54.5k
Age: VAP tends to skew lowest in the 18-30 yr bracket, explodes in the 30-55 category, and tracks a bit lower in the 55+ than the Statewide average.
Race/Ethnicity: 41% Anglo, 37% Asian, 10% Latino, 6% Black, 5% Mixed
--- Latinos (65% of Mexican Ancestry, 10% Central American, 6% South American, 6% Puerto Rican.
--- Asians  (38% Indian Ancestry, 28% Chinese, 13% Filipino, 6% Vietnamese, 5% Korean
MHI: $128.4k/Yr
Occupations: Mgmt (19%),  Computers & Math (12%), Business (9%) all score higher than statewide numbers generally by significant margins...
Industries: Professional (19%), and Finance & Insurance (7.5%) all score significantly higher than Statewide, and Manufacturing is a bit higher as well with 11.2% of the work-force.
Educational Attainment: 65% with a post-secondary degree (!!!)

So several notes here: 14% of the population are non-citizens, the largest Black Census tract is the Alameda County Santa Rita Jail (57%), with a 4,000 inmate capacity. Dublin is also home to a 1,000 inmate Federal Prison. Interestingly enough it doesn't appear that many of residents of Dublin are actually employed directly by either institution.

At a Presidential level Dublin is an overwhelmingly Democratic City--- 2016 (HRC-68% vs DJT 24%)

2008 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 5,799 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Obama-  2,468 Votes (42.6%)
HRC-      3,077 Votes  (53.1%)

2016 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 7,013 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Sanders- 3,052 Votes (43.5%)
HRC-      3,917 Votes  (55.9%)

2020 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 9,539 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS    (136% of '16 DEM PRIM)

Sanders-          3,064 Votes (32.1%)
Biden-              2,980 Votes (31.2%)
Bloomberg-      1,286 Votes (13.5%)
Warren-           1,217 Votes (12.8%)
Others-              992 Votes  (10.4%)

As one of the fast growing cities in California in terms of % of POP, much of the surge in 2020 DEM PRIM turnout appears to more organic, rather than "cross-over" voters.

Time to start crunching precincts:

Here is a precinct map of Dublin, California:

(21) Precincts in Dublin, CA...

Sanders- +10%      (3/21 precincts)
Sanders- +5-10%   (1/21 precincts)
Sanders- +0-5%     (5/21 precincts)
Biden-     +0-5%     (8/21 precincts)
Biden-     +5-10%   (1/21 precincts)
Biden-   +10%        (2/21 precincts)
Others-  Santa Rita County Jail (No Votes)

Bloomberg--- Placed 3rd in 11/21 precincts (highest precinct 18.3% and lowest precinct 9.7%)
Warren---      Placed 3rd in  9/21  precincts (highest precinct 16.4% and lowest precinct 4.6%)

Let's look a bit at the respective strengths of the various candidates by precinct:

BIDEN:

Precinct 540100:    (Biden- 36%, Sanders- 24%, Bloomberg- 17%, Warren- 12%).

It appears to overlap closely with Census Block Group 450502-1 with almost 26% of the Total population 55+ years. The population skews overwhelmingly Anglo (69%). The MHI is $142k/yr.

Unfortunately we can't break down items such as occupation, employment status, etc.

Politically, from what I can garner, this precinct skews more Republican than the City as a whole (60-29-11) Clinton>Trump>3rd Party. It also appears that DEM voter turnout was 150% of 2016 numbers (57-43 Clinton-Sanders).

It appears that at least here, there may well have been a surge of older voters who moved against the Republican Party between '16>'20 OR simply that DEM PRIM TO was somehow able to even exceed the Clinton '16 GE numbers...

Precinct 546700:    (Biden- 42%, Sanders- 31%, Bloomberg- 12%, Warren- 5%).

Overall this is a relatively small precinct with only around (150) votes cast in the '20 DEM PRIM.

Unfortunately the precinct numbers don't match 2016 data, so no easy means to compare and contrast....

It does appear to be a heavily Asian-American precinct, although it's more difficult to extrapolate other data since the Census Tract doesn't boil down for income, education, etc at a Block Map view....

It should be noted that Census Tract 450751 does include precinct 546700, as well as precinct 547900, and a part of 547800.... this broader census tract has a pop of 7.2k, and an MHI of $184.5k/Yr (wealthiest within Dublin).

It should also be noted that 27% of the population are non-citizens, with 34% of the population of Indian Ancestry, and 23% of Chinese Ancestry.

If we look at precinct 547900, we see (537) TVs (Sanders-35%, Biden 31%, Bloomberg 15%, Warren 10%), but yet 55% of the population is of Asian Ancestry....

I would definitely be cautious about extrapolating too much about Asian-American voting patterns in Dublin, considering that not only is the Asian VAP much lower than results might suggest, but additionally Sanders performed extremely well in heavily Chinese-American precincts in SF, which is likely a much larger chunk of the Asian vote share in these precincts.

Precinct 540400

Biden's 3rd best precinct (33-24-18-10-14     Biden-Sanders-Bloomberg-Warren-Others)

Again we don't have a detailed breakdown bcs of Census privacy reasons, but it appears that roughly 50% of the population are in their 70s (!!!), and another 50% 80+.

What I suspect is this is some sort of Retirement Community / Assisted Living Neighborhood...

IDK... what's going on there...

Looks like you got a place like this floating around the precinct:

http://www.schaeferranchdublin.com/

Sanders:

Let's look at Sanders three strongest precincts:

So I'll do something slightly differently, but it appears that all three of these precincts have a much higher population density per square mile than most parts of Dublin.

Typically this will tend to cover places like apartment complexes and even Condos where "renters" are paying overpriced $$$ living in the Bay Area, without at least a down-payment on a home.

Naturally, this is only part of the story....

Overall, these three precincts appear to have a significantly lower Median Household Income (MHI) than in most other places in what is a relatively expensive place to live (especially if you are renting).

Although a $104k > $110k MHI might sound great, not everybody is scoring that kind of bread....

Let's take a look at how a fairly affluent community off the 680 voted:

Dublin, California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin,_California

Pop: 54.5k
Age: VAP tends to skew lowest in the 18-30 yr bracket, explodes in the 30-55 category, and tracks a bit lower in the 55+ than the Statewide average.
Race/Ethnicity: 41% Anglo, 37% Asian, 10% Latino, 6% Black, 5% Mixed
--- Latinos (65% of Mexican Ancestry, 10% Central American, 6% South American, 6% Puerto Rican.
--- Asians  (38% Indian Ancestry, 28% Chinese, 13% Filipino, 6% Vietnamese, 5% Korean
MHI: $128.4k/Yr
Occupations: Mgmt (19%),  Computers & Math (12%), Business (9%) all score higher than statewide numbers generally by significant margins...
Industries: Professional (19%), and Finance & Insurance (7.5%) all score significantly higher than Statewide, and Manufacturing is a bit higher as well with 11.2% of the work-force.
Educational Attainment: 65% with a post-secondary degree (!!!)

So several notes here: 14% of the population are non-citizens, the largest Black Census tract is the Alameda County Santa Rita Jail (57%), with a 4,000 inmate capacity. Dublin is also home to a 1,000 inmate Federal Prison. Interestingly enough it doesn't appear that many of residents of Dublin are actually employed directly by either institution.

At a Presidential level Dublin is an overwhelmingly Democratic City--- 2016 (HRC-68% vs DJT 24%)

2008 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 5,799 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Obama-  2,468 Votes (42.6%)
HRC-      3,077 Votes  (53.1%)

2016 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 7,013 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS

Sanders- 3,052 Votes (43.5%)
HRC-      3,917 Votes  (55.9%)

2020 DEM PRIM:
TOTAL: 9,539 DEM PRES PRIM BALLOTS    (136% of '16 DEM PRIM)

Sanders-          3,064 Votes (32.1%)
Biden-              2,980 Votes (31.2%)
Bloomberg-      1,286 Votes (13.5%)
Warren-           1,217 Votes (12.8%)
Others-              992 Votes  (10.4%)

As one of the fast growing cities in California in terms of % of POP, much of the surge in 2020 DEM PRIM turnout appears to more organic, rather than "cross-over" voters.

Time to start crunching precincts:

Here is a precinct map of Dublin, California:

(21) Precincts in Dublin, CA...

Sanders- +10%      (3/21 precincts)
Sanders- +5-10%   (1/21 precincts)
Sanders- +0-5%     (5/21 precincts)
Biden-     +0-5%     (8/21 precincts)
Biden-     +5-10%   (1/21 precincts)
Biden-   +10%        (2/21 precincts)
Others-  Santa Rita County Jail (No Votes)

Bloomberg--- Placed 3rd in 11/21 precincts (highest precinct 18.3% and lowest precinct 9.7%)
Warren---      Placed 3rd in  9/21  precincts (highest precinct 16.4% and lowest precinct 4.6%)

Let's look a bit at the respective strengths of the various candidates by precinct:

BIDEN:

Precinct 540100:    (Biden- 36%, Sanders- 24%, Bloomberg- 17%, Warren- 12%).

It appears to overlap closely with Census Block Group 450502-1 with almost 26% of the Total population 55+ years. The population skews overwhelmingly Anglo (69%). The MHI is $142k/yr.

Unfortunately we can't break down items such as occupation, employment status, etc.

Politically, from what I can garner, this precinct skews more Republican than the City as a whole (60-29-11) Clinton>Trump>3rd Party. It also appears that DEM voter turnout was 150% of 2016 numbers (57-43 Clinton-Sanders).

It appears that at least here, there may well have been a surge of older voters who moved against the Republican Party between '16>'20 OR simply that DEM PRIM TO was somehow able to even exceed the Clinton '16 GE numbers...

Precinct 546700:    (Biden- 42%, Sanders- 31%, Bloomberg- 12%, Warren- 5%).

Overall this is a relatively small precinct with only around (150) votes cast in the '20 DEM PRIM.

Unfortunately the precinct numbers don't match 2016 data, so no easy means to compare and contrast....

It does appear to be a heavily Asian-American precinct, although it's more difficult to extrapolate other data since the Census Tract doesn't boil down for income, education, etc at a Block Map view....

It should be noted that Census Tract 450751 does include precinct 546700, as well as precinct 547900, and a part of 547800.... this broader census tract has a pop of 7.2k, and an MHI of $184.5k/Yr (wealthiest within Dublin).

It should also be noted that 27% of the population are non-citizens, with 34% of the population of Indian Ancestry, and 23% of Chinese Ancestry.

If we look at precinct 547900, we see (537) TVs (Sanders-35%, Biden 31%, Bloomberg 15%, Warren 10%), but yet 55% of the population is of Asian Ancestry....

I would definitely be cautious about extrapolating too much about Asian-American voting patterns in Dublin, considering that not only is the Asian VAP much lower than results might suggest, but additionally Sanders performed extremely well in heavily Chinese-American precincts in SF, which is likely a much larger chunk of the Asian vote share in these precincts.

Precinct 540400

Biden's 3rd best precinct (33-24-18-10-14     Biden-Sanders-Bloomberg-Warren-Others)

Again we don't have a detailed breakdown bcs of Census privacy reasons, but it appears that roughly 50% of the population are in their 70s (!!!), and another 50% 80+.

What I suspect is this is some sort of Retirement Community / Assisted Living Neighborhood...

IDK... what's going on there...

Looks like you got a place like this floating around the precinct:

http://www.schaeferranchdublin.com/

Sanders:

Let's look at Sanders three strongest precincts:

So I'll do something slightly differently, but it appears that all three of these precincts have a much higher population density per square mile than most parts of Dublin.

Typically this will tend to cover places like apartment complexes and even Condos where "renters" are paying overpriced $$$ living in the Bay Area, without at least a down-payment on a home, where even the cheapest apartments will run somewhere between $2.1k/Month > $2.5k/Month (Assuming you weren't grandfathered into a Rental Agreement).

https://www.apartments.com/dublin-ca/

Now if we look at Race/Ethnicity in these precincts, there isn't really an overwhelming pattern here, except perhaps a higher % of Black & Latino voters in precincts 547920 & 546200.

There is a higher % of folks in their '20s in precinct 544000, as well as a younger subset than average floating around in the other two precincts....

*** Now it should also be noted that Warren tended to perform best in Sanders best precincts within Dublin, and Bloomberg tended to perform best in Biden's best precincts.   ***

Food for thought while dealing with the COVID-19 blues....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2333 on: April 22, 2020, 08:04:24 PM »

Major Cali counties that I think will flip from Bernie to Biden as votes are tallied:

Contra Costa
Ventura
Riverside
San Diego
San Mateo  (a bit of a longshot)

Roughly in the order of likelihood to flip

San Joaquin and El Dorado also look likely with Kern a little more borderline.

Not even sure if the San Mateo prediction is that much of a longshot - Biden won the most recent vote dump with 6899 votes over Sanders' 4659 votes. The countywide margin of victory for Sanders has halved since election night (down to about 3.5% now)

Agree San Mateo looks more likely now, conversely Bernie actually increased his margin in San Diego on Friday.  I do remember in 2018 when there were several competitive Congressional races in Orange and San Diego that the daily updates did have geographic skews to them--one day CD1 had the majority of votes added, next day CD2 etc...so I don't know. 

Yeah I remember that from 2018, I was more involved doing precinct level analysis then due to the multiple close races but I haven't really been bothered to do it yet - I guess I could still take a little bit of a look with Orange County at least, not sure if I can get old precinct data from the SD County website.

now green papers report 44 Biden and 8 Sanders
[/quote]

Could be that the Jefferson + Montgomery County areas of AL-07 that Bloomberg is doing very poorly pushing him below viability, but I don't have the precinct data in those counties to know for certain.
[/quote]

So you got Contra Costa County and El Dorado County correct....

CA Election Results (Especially DEM PRIM election results) can get a bit trippy, since unless you've been through the rodeo a few times before, it becomes extremely difficult to attempt to interpret ED + Early VbM, with getting how Provisional Ballots can frequently break hard and heavy in larger Metro Areas within Cali.....

If you need old precinct data from California, IM me and will be happy to send you links....

We are in a bit of lull now that the Primaries are over, so happy to share data if you're interested in jumping in on looking at 2020 DEM PRIM data within an historical context.... Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies