Malaysia political crisis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:11:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Malaysia political crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Malaysia political crisis  (Read 6438 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2020, 11:38:37 AM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/9/25/malaysia-power-struggle-set-to-drag-on-as-king

Anwar will not disclose the names of the "defectors" that came to his side until he meets with the King.  But the King is now in the hospital for a week and cannot see anyway.   For Anwar most likely this is a feature and not a bug and has the side effect of provoking conflict between PPBM and UMNO  with an eye on the Sabah assembly elections tomorrow.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 08:09:28 AM »

Now that the Sabah mid-term assembly election has resulted in a narrow victory for GPS with PPBM doing reasonably well, on paper mean Muhyiddin will move forward with a mid-term federal election soon. 

Of course there is the issue of Anwar and his claim of a large number of defectors (mostly UMNO and Sarawak MPs.)  The election results most likely means that if any of these "defectors" were real, most if not all of them have pulled back their support for Anwar.  Any of these possible "defectors" are almost now certainly doing so to increase their leverage with respect  to Muhyiddin and seat sharing talks.

And seat sharing talks will be a clear glaring problem for the BN-PN-PAS landslide to come once the election is called.  In  Kelantan, Kedah, and Terengganu, PAS will demand UMNO accommodate them in the seats PAS won in 2018 if not more, something the local UMNO will not accept.  Likewise PPBM will demand UMNO accommodate PPBM in seats PPBM currently hold.  But most of those seats are really UMNO defectors, especially in Sabah.  It is hard to see UMNO will accept ceding these seat which UMNO consider its core.   Now that GPS won Sabah, I can see both UMNO and PPBM read the election as "their victory" and ramp up their demands in seat sharing talks.  I can even see a situation where seat sharing talks fall apart and it ends up being BN vs PPBM-PAS in the general elections.  If that were to come to pass then the GPS government in Sabah might fall apart and  WARISAN-PH come back to  power if certain parts of GPS were to defect due to the collapse of the BN-PN alliance.

One way or another there is more fun to come and soon.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »

I wish I could say the next political steps would be "fun" for anyone apart from analysts – specifically, for the people of Malaysia – but the economy's on life support, our electorate is historically discontented and disappointed with the direction the country's taking, and an election would almost certainly unleash a huge wave of COVID cases.

I do agree with most of the last post though as far as political ramifications go.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2020, 06:06:35 AM »

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/malaysia-ruling-partys-pick-for-sabah-minister-could-fray-ties

In Sabah, GPS goes with PPBM  leader Hajiji Noor to be the new CM.   PPBM PM Muhyiddin seems to be calling UMNO's bluff by pushing in his candidate to be CM over the objections of UMNO.  I guess what PPBM PM Muhyiddin is saying to UMNO is "we won in Sabah because of me, I should get to call the shots there since the victory is my"

In the meantime Anwar is still waiting to meet with the hospitalized King to show him the list of supporters and convince the King to appointment him PM.  Plenty of time for maneuvers by all sides. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/09/29/claiming-umno-bullied-by-bersatu-in-sabah-lokman-demands-bn-chair-pull-reps/1907885

Signs of rebellion within UMNO on how its was out-maneuvered by PPBM in Sabah in the race for CM.  There are not demands for UMNO to leave the ruling alliance.  I guess this is the basis of Anwar's gambit.  I doubt it will pan out but still UMNO high command is now in a tough position.  All this can be solved by a mid-term election but UMNO does not seem to be able to move the chess pieces to that election where UMNO will most likely make large gains.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »

Anwar is set to meet the King next 10/16 Tuesday.  Hopefully after that we can get the to bottom of the claim that a bunch of UMNO MP are backing Anwar.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2020, 04:05:51 PM »

Anwar is set to meet the King next 10/16 Tuesday.  Hopefully after that we can get the to bottom of the claim that a bunch of UMNO MP are backing Anwar.

Source (also, just to be clear, his meeting is set for Tuesday the 13th).

There are unconfirmed rumors from within PKR that his support among UMNO MPs has increased, which is… suspect, to put it mildly.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »

Source (also, just to be clear, his meeting is set for Tuesday the 13th).

There are unconfirmed rumors from within PKR that his support among UMNO MPs has increased, which is… suspect, to put it mildly.

Yes, typo by me ... I meant Tuesday the 13th.  In theory it is possible that the number UMNO defectors might have increased over frustrations over the share of spoils in Sabah but for every UMNO MP Anwar gains he might lose twice as much in DAP support.  Whole think is fishy.  Still I eagerly look forward to Tuesday to see what emerges.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2020, 07:47:49 PM »

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2020/10/11/tension-brewing-in-umno-as-several-mps-refuse-to-toe-the-line/

"Tension brewing in Umno as several MPs refuse to toe the line"

Wait, so this whole some UMNO MPs backing Anwar is not a hoax ?  I guess we will find out Tuesday.  I think even if this is not a hoax is is some 3-D Chess UMNO is playing to get Muhyiddin to call early elections.  But I guess with renewed COVID-19 outbreak due to Sabah election even that will be out for now.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2020, 06:21:39 AM »

As expected, Anwar's gambit ended up being a dud.  Even though Anwar claimed he submitted a list of 120 MPs that supported him to be PM the palace released a statement that Anwar did not submit a list.

I think it is about time Anwar is let out onto the pasture.  He reminds me a lot of Hillary Clinton where there were several times she, like Anwar, could have held the top office but it is just not in the stars.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2020, 08:16:59 AM »

https://coconuts.co/kl/news/after-anwar-ibrahim-major-political-party-umno-is-the-next-threat-to-malaysian-government/

UMNO puts pressure on PPBM to change the resource allocation of their alliance or else they might leave PN government.   I guess they figure now is a good time to increase their share of the spoils.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2020, 01:33:50 AM »

It's been a rollercoaster of a fortnight.

Malaysia is facing the largest wave of COVID cases it has ever seen, much of it concentrated in Sabah, where multiple UMNO politicians (and, remarkably, the newly minted PPBM state leader Hajiji Noor) have tested positive following the state election. In light of this, UMNO has temporarily withdrawn most of its demands for greater resource allocation and powers and called for a general ceasefire on the issue. Muhyiddin is safe on that front, at least for the moment.

However, it is abundantly clear that the man has no desire to face Parliament and account for many of his unilateral executive decisions over the past six months. Several days ago he openly floated the idea of declaring a national emergency, which – for the uninitiated – would empower the King to enact anything the cabinet wants for an unspecified period, essentially letting the Prime Minister (who controls the cabinet) rule unchecked and sidelining Parliament, the state governments, and the judicial review process indefinitely. Any provision in the Constitution, including basic human rights, could be overridden. (Hilariously, one of the only categories not covered by emergency rule is Islamic law.) It has been done before, most famously during the Communist insurgency and in the wake of the May 1969 racial riots, both of which were deeply scarring for the nation then and now.

But this would have had to be approved by the King, and luckily for the nation he rejected the proposal. So whatever happens going forward, it will hopefully be with the consent of Parliament, which is scheduled to convene in early November.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »

It seems pretty clear that Muhyiddin did manage to get a deal with UMNO but has a fear that some malcontents within UMNO will sink his government over the budget vote ergo his maneuver with this state of emergency.  Now Muhyiddin is in a much weaker position.  UMNO will most likely up their ante on PPBM to get more of the spoils in return for 100% UMNO vote for Muhyiddin in the budget vote in Nov.  Plenty of more maneuvers to come, mostly on the Muhyiddin vs UMNO front.  If it comes to an early election where UMNO-PAS will sweep the elections I wonder if PH might come in to back Muhyiddin just to stop a mid-term election they will certainly lose.

I think PH are in the same position as LAB and LDEM were in the UK Fall of 2019 where a fresh election will doom PH.  Hopefully for PH sake it plays it better than Corbyn did back in Fall of 2019.
Logical

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2021, 09:50:26 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2021, 09:55:59 PM by Logical »

https://www.thevibes.com/articles/opinion/33853/umnos-subtle-return-to-power
After a year of the most farcial political jockeying, backstabbing, maneuvering and general psychodrama, UMNO has finally pulled the plug from the Muhyiddin government. This comes amidst a disastrous COVID wave hitting Malaysia and the news that the parliament will reconvene July 26. Malaysia hasn’t had parliamentary sittings since last December and a state of emergency was declared on 12 January 2021 until 1 August 2021.

Political dissatisfaction is at an all time high and the economy is going down the gutter. What happens next? I don't know and I don't think anyone else does.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2021, 08:24:29 PM »

It seems as UMNO was about to come out openly against Muhyiddin, he made the last minute desperate move of elevating as UMNO leader to DPM.  It did not work.  Still there are still pro-Muhyiddin  elements in UMNO so there are still chances that some UMNO MPs will stick around to back Muhyiddin although if it comes to a showdown Muhyiddin will be defeated if and when it comes to a vote.  Main problem for anti-Muhyiddin forces is that that the anti-Muhyiddin  forces will not be able to agree on an alternative so Muhyiddin will stay in power as interim PM while an election takes place.  COVID-19 means that this election will be far off keeping Muhyiddin  in power.

As for the election the party to watch is PAS.  If PAS backs PPBM it will be a close 3 way battle between PPBM-PAS vs UMNO vs PH.  If PAS backs UMNO then UMNO-PAS will win in a landslide.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »

Why would PAS back PPBM? Would the decision be out of sheer likelihood to get into the next government or due to some sort of fallout with UMNO?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2021, 12:36:48 AM »

The breach has been a long time in coming. Back in March the UMNO party convention adopted internal rules that placed the party’s overall direction in the hands of their supreme council, who are responsible for the withdrawal statement. UMNO president Zahid Hamidi’s fingerprints are naturally all over this; his disdain for the Muhyiddin government is extensively established at this point. It has also been speculated for a long time that UMNO’s maneuvering sets itself up to run and win against Muhyddin’s Bersatu in the next general election given their superior grassroots organization.

Zahid’s move has a number of problems, however:

- This gambit faces internal issues – there are already competing statements within UMNO to the effect that individual UMNO MPs will have leeway on the decision to withdraw. No less prominent a figure than former PM Najib has raised questions about the authenticity of one such statement. It also appears that the supreme council itself allowed this leeway, which Zahid did not mention in his statement, although various members of the supreme council have contradicted this. Assuming this development is true, it’s pretty clear that most MPs would elect to stay in the government. Whether the state parties and their local political machines adhere to the ruling is another matter. The success of the aforementioned grassroots organization runs on who these local administrations support.

- Even if all UMNO MPs stuck together, the coalition is not friendly territory. That statement I mentioned purportedly comes from “all BN MPs,“ but MCA and MIC – the remaining parties in that coalition – are firmly behind Muhyiddin. (It appears that Zahid neglected to consult them before making this move of his.) The Sarawak parties which previously formed part of BN bolted after the last election and are also in the government’s camp.
- Jaichind is correct that it will come down to what PAS does, and PAS has fallen out with UMNO in a big way. In brief, PAS and UMNO struck an agreement (Muafakat Nasional) back when they were both in the opposition; the current government is built on a separate coalition (Perikatan Nasional) of which Bersatu is the driving party; PAS has been disappointed with UMNO’s perceived neglect of their previous agreement for its own ends and has registered its disapproval up to and including joining Perikatan.

- Even if Zahid somehow managed to whip some grand agreement up, parliamentary reality means it will never succeed. Logical alluded to the reconvening of Parliament in a few weeks, which was scheduled to keep the current government from being automatically dissolved on August 2. There’s no reason not to expect another farce of a sitting like the one last May where VONCs or other attempts to bring down the government are prohibited from coming to the floor.
- On constitutional grounds first established back during the Perak state coup in 2009, any VONC raised in Parliament needs to be a positive one if it is to succeed in ousting Muhyiddin – there needs to be an established majority behind any replacement leader that is put forward. Muhyiddin’s arm-twisting path to a majority last year landed him in a position to get the King’s assent to form a government. Zahid does not have that position and his consistent bridge-burning has not gotten him any closer to it.

Long story short, this is not going anywhere: there cannot be an election held right now, a candidate for interim PM does not exist, nobody but the government can demonstrate majority support at the moment, and Muhyiddin will survive even with a minority government because his opponents are too divided. Pakatan are not going anywhere either, but they seem content to do their usual popcorn act since neither Anwar nor Mahathir stand a chance of attracting a majority in this environment.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2021, 04:59:08 AM »

Why would PAS back PPBM? Would the decision be out of sheer likelihood to get into the next government or due to some sort of fallout with UMNO?

Mostly because of political geography.   States where PAS is strong, Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu, are also places where UMNO are strong and PPBM in their current form are non-existent.  So seat sharing talks will be very hard for UMNO and PAS but easy for PPBM and PAS.  In case of a PPBM-PAS alliance, PAS will run in Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu while in the rest of Peninsular Malaysia PPBM and PAS will most likely share seats by something like 3 to 1 ratio in favor of PPBM.  A UMNO-PAS alliance talk will almost breakdown right away over how to divide up Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu.

And we see this playing out

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/pas-mic-express-support-muhyiddin

"PAS, MIC express support for Muhyiddin"

Interesting that old BN Indian party MIC  is also coming out for Muhyiddin.  It does seems UMNO, seeing that its Chinese ally MCA and Indian ally MIC did not really transfer that many votes to them in 2018, are most likely to drop them as allies or give them very few seats to run in the next election. Reading this fact MIC, it seems, will go with PPBM.  Last I check MCA might run separately which is very had news for PH as the anti-UMNO Chinese vote could now safely vote MCA to show their frustration of DAP.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2021/07/08/malaysia-mahathirs-pejuang-officially-registered-as-political-party/

"Malaysia: Mahathir’s Pejuang officially registered as political party"

Mahathir’s party, PEJUANG or PPTA, has been finally registered as a party a year after its formed.  Just in time to split the PH vote in the next election ?
xelas81
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »

Mostly because of political geography.   States where PAS is strong, Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu, are also places where UMNO are strong and PPBM in their current form are non-existent.  So seat sharing talks will be very hard for UMNO and PAS but easy for PPBM and PAS.  In case of a PPBM-PAS alliance, PAS will run in Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu while in the rest of Peninsular Malaysia PPBM and PAS will most likely share seats by something like 3 to 1 ratio in favor of PPBM.  A UMNO-PAS alliance talk will almost breakdown right away over how to divide up Kedah, Kelantan, and Terengganu.

Interesting that old BN Indian party MIC  is also coming out for Muhyiddin.  It does seems UMNO, seeing that its Chinese ally MCA and Indian ally MIC did not really transfer that many votes to them in 2018, are most likely to drop them as allies or give them very few seats to run in the next election. Reading this fact MIC, it seems, will go with PPBM.  Last I check MCA might run separately which is very had news for PH as the anti-UMNO Chinese vote could now safely vote MCA to show their frustration of DAP.
Aren't both MIC and MCA irreverent parties at this point?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2021/07/08/malaysia-mahathirs-pejuang-officially-registered-as-political-party/

Mahathir’s party, PEJUANG or PPTA, has been finally registered as a party a year after its formed.  Just in time to split the PH vote in the next election ?

On a side note, this ends an incredibly petty series of actions from the Home Minister, who apparently waited till the very last day of the judge's mandated fourteen-day injunction to grant Pejuang's appeal over their previous action.

And I do doubt that Pejuang will split much of the vote – the seats it occupies in Parliament are much more vulnerable to UMNO/PAS/PPBM frontal assaults, and Pakatan's presence in these races would be negligible. Pakatan probably will stay out of Pejuang's backyard unless Pejuang massively steps up its organization and recruitment across the electoral map, something Mahathir's previous vehicle notably failed to do, and even then that support is likelier to be drawn from disaffected government supporters if anything.

Yes and no. MIC in particular is a parliamentary has-been. But MCA does still have the remnants of grassroots organizations that were more than a match for DAP and other opposition parties in their day. DAP's prospects aren't looking all that rosy either. Anecdotally I could see a disaffected ethnic-Chinese vote go to MCA for not appearing to totally and repeatedly fall flat on its face as DAP has done over the past year.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »

Only if they are allied with UMNO.  In 2018 the Chinese and Indian vote shifted heavily to PH to vote against UMNO.  If you look at the results and compare them to state elections it is clear that UMNO vote transfers with MCA and MIC were catastrophic.  MCA and MIC have their share of support in the Chinese and Indian votes.  By 2018 their alliance UMNO was enough for their votes to shift to DAP and PKR.

I think MCA running by itself can win a good chunk of the Chinese vote.  They allying with PPBM would be a good move to regain their Chinese vote.  MIC's Indian vote I think is more suspect and I think some of their vote might have permanently moved to PKR and DAP.

Back in 2018 I did a statistical analysis that showed that PH won an unusual level of Chinese and Indian votes.   Next election there will be some reversion to the mean and MCA and perhaps MIC could pick up some of that vote which could be valuable if allied with a non-UMNO party.

I was able do a regression analysis of the results by district in Peninsular Malaysia and derive vote by ethnic group.  I used variables such as rural suburban and urban and grouped states that seems to voted similarly as well as take into account of special candidates that will over-perform their own party.

What I got is

Malays (60.9% of the voting population)
PH  24.5%
BN  44.0%
GS  31.5%

Chinese (29.0% of the voting population)
PH   94.0%
BN    5.5%
GS    0.5%

Indian (8.4% of the voting population)
PH   74.5%
BN   24.0%
GS    1.5%

Orang Asli (Aborigine) (0.6% of the voting population)
PH    2.0%
BN   97.0%
GS    1.0%

Others (1.1% of the voting population)
PH   19.5%
BN   63.5%
GS   17.0%

I also compute that when PAS is not running the PAS vote goes 83.5% for BN and 16.5% for PH.

Below is a chart of estimates of vote share by ethnic group in previous elections

It seems the PH large vote share lead was really driven by Chinese and Indian voters which all things equal did not add that much in terms of gaining seats for PH except for very close BN-PH marginal seats.  PH on the whole actually under-performed pre-election polls in terms of Malay support. What crushed BN was the fact that PAS over-performed at the expense of BN in the Malay vote.  So in the end the PH-PAS split worked to the advantage of PH and not BN which was the conventional wisdom.

If you look at the Malay vote by district type you can get some clear patterns

PH          BN           PAS
Rural          17.0%     48.5%     34.5%
Suburban    27.5%     43.0%     29.5%
Urban         37.0%     36.5%     26.5%

PH does better with urban Malays while BN does best with rural Malays.  What is the surprise here is how well PAS does even with urban Malays although that did not seem to make much of a difference in terms of seats.  It is PAS's over-performance in Rural and Suburban seats that cost BN seats, either to PH or PAS.

What is also interesting is in areas of PAS strength like Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu PAS does just as well in Urban areas among Malay voters as Rural Malay voters.  It is BN that has a falloff in Malay support in these states as well as in other states.

On interesting driver for this PAS strength with Urban Malays is if you take areas where the PH is gaining strength (Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, suburban and urban Johor) PAS does very well with Malay voters when an non-UNMO party is running when compared to when UNMO is running.  It seems this is mostly driven by the BN Malay anti-DAP vote which went over PAS now that PAS is not allied with DAP especially an non-UNMO candidate is running for BN.

This is why MCA and MIC got crushed.  They lost both ways.  The Chinese seats were lost in 2013 and will remain lost.  MCA and MIC won some ethnically mixed seats from 2013 based on the Malay vote and what is left of the Chinese and Indian vote.  This time around there is a further swing of the Chinese and Indian vote away from BN PLUS the Malay vote going over to PAS.  The result was a complete meltdown of MCA and MIC seats.

So again the story of this election is not a Malay Tsunami toward PH.  PH if anything did a bit worse than expected with Malays.  What took place was PAS took some of the BN anti-DAP vote and destroyed BN along the way.

We can now take these breakdown in support to try to estimate the levels of support for each party.

For the PH Chinese vote you can figure 67% are for DAP and 33% are for PKR.  
For the PH Indian vote you can figure 20% are for DAP and 80% are for PKR
For the PH Malay vote you can figure 35% are for PKR, 20% are for AMANAH and 45% are for PPBM.

For BN it is simple.  All BN Malay votes are for UNMO and all BN Indian votes are for MIC (and a bit for Gerakan) and all BN Chinese votes are for MCA/PPP/Gerakan.

Using this you can estimate the level of support for each party and you get.

DAP                             19.6%
PKR                             19.1%
AMANAH                        3.0%
PPBM                             6.9%
UNMO                          27.8%
MCA/Gerakan                 1.6%
MIC/PPP                        2.0%
PAS                             20.0%

The main danger for PH is that around 55% of voter support are from Chinese.  It is critical that for political power in PH to flow to PKR and PPBM to avoid PH being tagged as a DAP puppet.  This was the BN line of attack which did not work because Mahathir.  But if DAP's influence were to match its vote share with PH this will be a problem with PH when it comes to winning Malay votes in the future.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2021, 03:17:00 PM »

On a side note, this ends an incredibly petty series of actions from the Home Minister, who apparently waited till the very last day of the judge's mandated fourteen-day injunction to grant Pejuang's appeal over their previous action.

And I do doubt that Pejuang will split much of the vote – the seats it occupies in Parliament are much more vulnerable to UMNO/PAS/PPBM frontal assaults, and Pakatan's presence in these races would be negligible. Pakatan probably will stay out of Pejuang's backyard unless Pejuang massively steps up its organization and recruitment across the electoral map, something Mahathir's previous vehicle notably failed to do, and even then that support is likelier to be drawn from disaffected government supporters if anything.

You are right of course.  When I wrote that PEJUANG  might split the PH vote I partly meant that as a joke that it got registration mostly because PPBM wants them to undercut PH in the next election.  In reality I think Mahathir is smart enough to know that outside of Kedah PEJUANG  most likely will be at best spoilers.   I suspect when it comes to an election PEJUANG  and Syed Saddiq's youth MUDA party will just end up forming an alliance with PH.  Unless they do most likely they will be all washed up.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-cabinet-unanimous-full-support-muhyiddin-yassin-umno-15218884

"Malaysia Cabinet pledges ‘full support’ for PM Muhyiddin following UMNO withdrawal"

After UMNO withdrew support from Muhyiddin, all UMNO members of the cabinet continues to support Muhyiddin  highlighting the split within UMNO.   All 3 main blocs seems to be in trouble with UMNO split, PH stuck with Anwar and lost its credibility for how its government collapsed in 2020, and PPBM now on the hook for the endless COVID-19 surges and lockdowns.  Only PAS seems to be unscathed.  I suspect turnout next election will be very low which all things equal should hand victory to UMNO even without PAS support.   

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/anwar-and-zahid-step-up-drive-against-embattled-premier

PH leader Anwar and UMNO leader Zahid plans to make a joint video of their MPs where they will state their opposition to Muhyiddin government.  The idea is the video will be delivered to the King to prove that Muhyiddin no longer has majority support.

Muhyiddin has already agreed to a vote of confidence next month but Anwar and Zahid must be worried that this means Muhyiddin has a month to buy off enough MPs to win such a vote and now want to pressure the King to bring forward the vote.

In this case the COVID-19 surge is acting as a Muhyiddin ally.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies