Loudoun County VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:02:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Loudoun County VA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Loudoun County VA  (Read 3655 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »

Is this county getting more Republican, Democratic or about the same I live here and I can't even figure it out? However I would lean torward the Democratic trend arguement because the Dems have made some big gains here patcurley in the eastern part of the county. Here the Dems have  defeated two incumbent Republican State Delagates by big margins and have manged to get a State Senator sent to Richmond. Please note though these two Democratic state dealgates that managed to get elected are Exterme Liberals and one of them was a U.S. Senate Aide to Dick Durban and a liberal activist along with that.                   
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »

Even if it is still hard to say now, long-term I see Loudoun firmly in the suburban DC column with Fairfax. The suburbs are expanding, and once the Metrorail extension through Dulles Airpot to Loudoun is finished by 2015, the eastern part of the county (at least) is going to be following the same patterns as Fairfax, which on current trends means more or less firmly Dem.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 01:58:55 AM »

Loudoun County is really cool because its the fastest growing county in the United States yet is nearly in the Northeast and trending Democrat.

I know someone from Northern Virginia and he says that Loudoun is a nice place to live but is quite expensive to buy a house in. That may be a sign that they are running out of land.

The Northern Virginia Suburbs are really getting far out into the country, places like Stafford, Spotsylvania and Fauquier are starting to grow rapidly. Unlike Douglas, CO and Forsyth, GA (2 other of the fastest growing counties) Northern VA is looking great for the Dems.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 02:54:50 AM »

Loudoun County is clearly trending Democrat.  In 1996 the county was 20.21% more GOP than the national average, in 2000 it was 15.70% more GOP than the National average and in 2004 it was 9.63% more GOP than the national average.  Loudoun County also went to Kaine by 5.6% last year.  Its not trending as fast as Fairfax (which has gone from about 10% more GOP than National average to 10% more Dem between 96 & 04) or as fast as Arlington (which went from about 19% more Dem in 96 to 39% more Dem in 04), but Loudoun is clearly moving Dem. 

Another NOVA county to watch is prince William County.  In 1996 Prince William County was 15.94% more GOP than the national average, down to 8.51% more GOP than the National average in 00 & only 3.98% more GOP than the National average in 04. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:39:37 AM »

I live in one of those upper-income housing delvopments in Loudoun County and just about all the people Ive met there are all extermely liberal Democrats and alot of these liberals have money too! these lattie liberals don't mean well for the county's GOP.   
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 08:43:57 AM »

I live in one of those upper-income housing delvopments in Loudoun County and just about all the people Ive met there are all extermely liberal Democrats and alot of these liberals have money too! these lattie liberals don't mean well for the county's GOP.   

It's similar in my suburb.  Even though my town went 51-48 for Kerry, driving through it, you could have sworn it was a liberal bastion.  For many Republicans, there is a certain guilt for voting for Bush, and many don't want to share that publicly.  Kerry was seen as the choice of intelligent people in some ways.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 11:26:17 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2006, 12:01:06 PM by Frodo »

As long as Democrats focus on bread-and-butter issues like education, transportation, and suburban sprawl, they will do well in such counties like Loudoun, Prince William, and perhaps even Stafford counties.  In time to come, while we may eventually lose the 9th district in Southwest Virginia coal country to Republicans once Rick Boucher either retires or dies in office, we look set to gain Frank Wolf and Tom Davis' districts (both based in Northern Virginia) once they leave office.   
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 12:17:50 PM »

I have a feeling Loudoun will be the new MA or VTesque liberal in the future.   
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 02:10:25 PM »

I have a feeling Loudoun will be the new MA or VTesque liberal in the future.   
You're having a false impression of VT and most of MA in that case. They aren't fatcat "limousine" liberal places.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »

A lot of Reps. want to give the impression that all the new Democrats are latte liberals...not true.  Pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-Christian values Kaine won big up there...an omen that people in Virginia are among the first people in the country to realize the lip-service, backlash, feigned indignation by Rep. party leaders (that whine about abortion, etc. but have done N-O-T-H-I-N-G to remedy these problems).  Raising Kaine, a blog covering VA politics, had a good article about how this is truly a Virginia phenomenon.  Instead of abortion for 8 year olds, marriage to anybody/anything, death penalty, and other things that affect about 5 people, people in Old Dominion from Coal Country and Shenandoah to NOVA are concerned about education, transportation, infrastructure, job creation (that can actually support a family, not flipping burgers or Wal-Mart).  This state is truly becoming the most sane in the Union--if it isn't already.  Loudon will continue to trend Dem.--at least in statewide/local elections.  Mark Warner/Blanche Lincoln could easily carry the county by as much as 10 points against George Allen, though Warner failed to carry the county in 2001.  I've had my misgivings about Democrats in MA and VT too, but I know that at least some of them are Democrats for the fundamental reason that should unite this party:  A thriving middle-class is good in all respects (in terms of our moral integrity, national security, and overall economic prosperity), and laissez faire/Darwinian capitalism is not the means to achieving such a society.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 03:29:06 AM »

As long as Democrats focus on bread-and-butter issues like education, transportation, and suburban sprawl, they will do well in such counties like Loudoun, Prince William, and perhaps even Stafford counties.  In time to come, while we may eventually lose the 9th district in Southwest Virginia coal country to Republicans once Rick Boucher either retires or dies in office, we look set to gain Frank Wolf and Tom Davis' districts (both based in Northern Virginia) once they leave office.   

Whats Stafford County like compared to Fairfax and Loudoun? Is it becoming more liberal too?

On a side note, the worst traffic jam I have ever been in was in Northern Virginia on I-95. If anyone has to use that road, I advise to take US Highway 13 instead, which goes through Maryland's East Shore and Delware, its more miles but no traffic and nice scenery.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 10:29:47 PM »

Yeah the traffic is bad in Loudoun one time it took me nearly two hours to get home from school. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies