Upon a Cross of Globalism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Upon a Cross of Globalism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: Upon a Cross of Globalism  (Read 47647 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »

Many people have asked me if there is a place where they can view the entire timeline in a single location (i.e. not punctuated by other comments). The entire timeline is located here*:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/upon-a-cross-of-globalism-an-american-politics-timeline.495155/

Also, I don't have any plans to do an epilogue to the epilogue - but I did have a few ideas about what happens with the Barron Presidency that I might share (but would be considered non-canon) assuming there is interest

It would be interesting to see the United States take its own unique course in history. Maybe Barron’s presidency marks the transition into a new form of governmental organization built around businesses instead of just heavily influenced by them.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2021, 09:09:11 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2021, 02:42:24 AM by reagente »

Was it redundant to ask if there was interest?
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2021, 10:22:25 AM »

i think every single person that has ever read this timeline has interest please tell us everything
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:20 PM »

I think I'm the only one with this opinion at this point, but I just wanted to mention I'm completely satisfied with what you've given. It didn't end on a cliffhanger when I was reading it, but I saw it as something very thought-provoking instead. Completely unpredictable but also super foreseeable in hindsight
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »

I think I'm the only one with this opinion at this point, but I just wanted to mention I'm completely satisfied with what you've given. It didn't end on a cliffhanger when I was reading it, but I saw it as something very thought-provoking instead. Completely unpredictable but also super foreseeable in hindsight

I agree, I'd love more content, but don't feel compelled to give us a different ending.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2021, 03:22:03 PM »

Among the least realistic parts of this timeline tbh is Paul Ryan not winning the 2020 general election against Hillary Clinton.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2021, 08:19:10 PM »

Well done!
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »

I've started a TVTropes page for this TL.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/UponACrossOfGlobalism
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2021, 06:46:36 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2021, 06:52:45 PM by reagente »

North Carolina from 2028

-----

Also, I was thinking about how I might have done the electoral maps differently for Tucker if I knew how the 2020 election went when I started writing the timeline. Don't consider this a formal retcon, but just as a thought experiment:

----

On a final note, while I don't have any plans to add any more text updates, I may from time to create more graphics from the timeline to help fill out the story further.

Over the past few months, I have been doing research for my next project, which I hope will get off the ground early next year. Its going to look a bit different format wise from UaCoG (and be set in a different time period), but I think if you enjoyed this timeline you will enjoy the upcoming project. Will keep everyone posted.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2021, 10:16:37 PM »

Nut
New England Fire Squad
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.83

« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2021, 12:47:20 PM »

I'm not one for fanfics (at all) but I somehow stumbled across this and found it riveting. Well done sir
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #237 on: November 22, 2021, 05:56:55 AM »

How does Tucker sweeps the upper Midwest and Newsom wins GA and AZ?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »

What would the Romans have done?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #239 on: December 12, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »

♩Them Romes Them Rome’s gonna stab around ♩
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2021, 11:29:17 AM by Person Man »

♩Them Romes Them Rome’s gonna stab around ♩

I was thinking that the barbarians would be crucified along the 100 miles of 495 beltway around Washington. Motorists would see a cross every 50 feet or so if 10000 traitors, barbarians, or subhumans were being punished at once.

It’s actually a pretty good model of how states with some form of Democratic or liberal tradition transition to authoritarian regimes sustain themselves and handle the continuity of government after they become authoritarian. Especially ones that don’t really face immediate external threats. Elections are eventually replaced by as box power transfer and sharing agreements and when those fail, they are replaced with Civil Wars and revolts. It doesn’t really become a problem for the society to continue until the various factions, especially the one in power, starts needing more and more “help”.

How do you deal with 30,000 mercenaries that you needed to put down a black rebellion in the upper Midwest or an anarchist rebellion in Front Range because you lost a bunch of guys invading some leftist-controlled Latin American country or a state that had to be occupied because the Governor wanted to be the next President and then these mercenaries only decided to fight for you because you would let their families cover over as climate refugees?

In the first few decades of the Gallagher regime, these sort of issues become problems but there are enough conscripts to fill the holes. Eventually, expansion will slow down as the Chinese and Europeans catch up and as the climate worsens, they’ll be more people wanting to do whatever it takes to survive. My guess is that the regime survives until about the middle of the 22nd century and gets replaced by a hodgepodge of various actors from remnants of the regime, to various subjugated and migratory peoples. Maybe another major power survives, but they won’t have the resources to ever invade the mainland though they could occupy Alaska or Hawaii and maybe set up spheres of influences in areas who want protection from the regimes’ remnants.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2022, 12:22:10 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2023, 09:27:54 PM by bagelman »

Here are all the election maps of this timeline in Virginia's new election mapper:

Not worth the trouble

2052 (inferred version)

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2022, 09:04:19 AM »

I don't want to have to go 5 pages to find this
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2023, 03:33:41 PM »

With Carlson out at Fox News, it feels appropriate to have another look at this timeline. Are we closer to or further away from it now?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2023, 09:11:13 AM »

Are we closer to or further away from it now?

yes
Duke of York

« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2023, 10:58:10 PM »

this is an absolute masterpiece, easily the greatest timeline ever on here. if this ever became reality I'd move to Canada or the United Kingdom.
Kali Redcoat
Rookie
United States
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2023, 04:55:36 PM »

North Carolina from 2028

-----

Also, I was thinking about how I might have done the electoral maps differently for Tucker if I knew how the 2020 election went when I started writing the timeline. Don't consider this a formal retcon, but just as a thought experiment:

----

On a final note, while I don't have any plans to add any more text updates, I may from time to create more graphics from the timeline to help fill out the story further.

Over the past few months, I have been doing research for my next project, which I hope will get off the ground early next year. Its going to look a bit different format wise from UaCoG (and be set in a different time period), but I think if you enjoyed this timeline you will enjoy the upcoming project. Will keep everyone posted.

Are you still working on graphics for the TL? Sorry if I'm necroing the thread Reagent, but I remember reading your story on AH.com for a while. I liked the course of the timeline, it gave a somewhat realistic take of how a successful populist GOP in power could go. I didn't like some aspects of the end though, like the wish-fulfillment military dictatorship arc (the dystopia card has been a tried and true method for getting stuff to slide on that site though and some friends of mine have done that too so I don't blame you lol). It still makes sense within the confines of the story when compared to the extreme leftist agenda of Gallagher's predecessor, the pendulum swinging back hard and whatnot. Gallagher OTL still deserves the firing squad though.

Anyways, any ideas about what you're doing with India? I don't remember how things were going there, but it would be funny if you wanked the BJP as well and got Akhand Bharat to happen. Maybe including an independent Tibet, however ASB that may be.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2023, 05:55:39 PM »

North Carolina from 2028

-----

----

Are you still working on graphics for the TL? Sorry if I'm necroing the thread Reagent, but I remember reading your story on AH.com for a while. I liked the course of the timeline, it gave a somewhat realistic take of how a successful populist GOP in power could go. I didn't like some aspects of the end though, like the wish-fulfillment military dictatorship arc (the dystopia card has been a tried and true method for getting stuff to slide on that site though and some friends of mine have done that too so I don't blame you lol). It still makes sense within the confines of the story when compared to the extreme leftist agenda of Gallagher's predecessor, the pendulum swinging back hard and whatnot. Gallagher OTL still deserves the firing squad though.

Anyways, any ideas about what you're doing with India? I don't remember how things were going there, but it would be funny if you wanked the BJP as well and got Akhand Bharat to happen. Maybe including an independent Tibet, however ASB that may be.

I haven't had any plans to make any new graphics for the timeline, though I suppose if there's any popular demand for something in particular, I could potentially revisit that.

I must say that I am surprised that anyone would think that Gallagher's coup is in any sort of way desirable. I thought I had made it pretty clear that Gallagher was unambiguously a villain, the Faustian culmination of the American right adopting a win-at-all-cost mentality that ultimately leads to unprecedented suffering and hardship for America, as well as hollowing out of the right as a political ideology.

I didn't give India too much thought beyond some vague allusions to Hindu nationalism being stronger, its not a country I know all that much about politically beyond the broad strokes. I have considered putting some effort into developing the lore for the world outside of America, as I had received a request awhile ago to make a world map of 2050 with annotated points of interest, so I guess I'll message you about India since you seem to have some ideas.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies