Peace and War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:21:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Peace and War
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Peace and War  (Read 2808 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 06:09:57 PM »

This guy's a poet, man.  Anyone check out his blog? 

I'll take the liberty of posting an original Global Crier poem here:

Peace

Let there be more love
World leaders that are doves

A world with fewer guns
More mothers with their sons

Instead of fighting war
We help the poor

With all of our might
We are not always right

People have to care
To make things fair

Let there be more flowers
With all of our powers

Let there be peace
In the Middle East

Okay, Saint Francis it ain't, but what it lacks in style it makes up for in sentiment.

A perusal of the blog also shows that Global Crier isn't a USA-bashing peacenik.  Just a normal peacenik.  If that matters to anyone.

And he makes some good points, but I do not believe this is true:

Only by establishing a Department of Peace within the United States government can a balance between peace and war be established.

because we have no Department of War.  If we did, then you might be able to make the argument.  What we have is a Department of Defense.  And in fact, in the history of its existence the DOD has more often been busy maintaining peace than maintaining war.  Strategic arms may have offended you, but they likely maintained peace for all the cold war except for the period 1950-53 and 1965-73.  Or to quote Colonel Jessup, "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way."
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »

And yes War has existed since before humans existed.  Goes to show you that it cant be very effective if we need to keep doing it so often. =)

War is rather unfortunate, yet I would assert that if there's nothing a man is willing to fight for, he is a pitiful creature indeed, for that man has nothing that is truly of value. Sometimes the reasons for war are good, other times they are bad. Hatred, jealousy, greed, intolerance, arrogance - these are the unfortunate negative concepts that may result in a war. Yet there's also positive notions such as desire for freedom or peace that can result in one going to war. I know fighting for peace might sound an oxymoron, but the fact is there's people out there who won't let good people have their peace(Hitler and the like). There's also the ever fuzzy and blurred concepts that go between good and bad reasons for war - justice for instance, or love(love of someone else, love for one's country or patriotism), sorrow.

But no matter what, war is always the result of when people can not or are unwilling to settle, accept, or at the very least tolerate their differences. Sometimes you can't allow yourself to tolerate the differences, and hopefully whenever that is done you do so rationally and with a heavy heart. War is never a good thing, but unfortunately at times may be necessary.

"Weapons are the tools of violence;
all decent men detest them.
Weapons are the tools of fear;
a decent man will avoid them
except in the direst necessity
and, if compelled, will use them
only with the utmost restraint.

Peace is his highest value.
If the peace has been shattered,
how can he be content?

His enemies are not demons,
but human beings like himself.
He doesn't wish them personal harm.
Nor does he rejoice in victory.
How could he rejoice in victory
and delight in the slaughter of men?

He enters a battle gravely,
with sorrow and with great compassion,
as if he were attending a funeral."

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 11:48:28 AM »

“Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.”
    --Elvis Presley

"The Tao is great.  The king is also great."
    --Lao Tzu

Long live the king.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies