The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:42:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)  (Read 5733 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2022, 11:06:22 PM »

Mr. GM, can you provide any insight on our trade pact with several African countries?
I second this question and also wonder if the PRC has tried to influence countries in the area, or if they have focused more on Taiwan.

Strictly speaking, I think that falls within the purview of the Comptroller General. There not being one over a period of months, I realize it may sound like a cop-out, but I'm wary of pronouncing canon something I don't really have control over.

Having said that, my "soft-canon" ruling is that the trade pact has been successful both in expanding Atlasian soft power within South and Central Africa, as well as a net benefit to local economics. It has not, however, prevented local political parties and/or groups that are more anti-globalization or protectionist in outlook from exploiting such arrangements and presenting them as a "road to vassalage", among other things. The PRC continues its policy of trying to expand soft-power, but it is limited both by reduced revenue from military adventures/a worse COVID-19 impact; as well as a more negative international image created by the Korean conflict and now the Taiwan crisis.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2022, 05:29:49 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2022, 05:42:59 AM by ishan »

Is the situation in Sri Lanka the same as it is in OTL?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2022, 01:44:18 AM »

Statements and Coming Farewell:
August 30th, 2022:

I'd like to sincerely congratulate President Cao, Weatherboy and the Atlasian Senate for their passage of the landmark "Game Engine Restructuring and GM Team Creation Act". Perhaps no solution will ever be perfect to fix issues with the Game Engine - particularly as many of those issues depend on player behavior -, but I am glad the Republic was willing to experiment a bit and try a more novel approach, one I have a lot of faith in. If it does not work, then I suppose the Senate can always go back to the drawing board. If it does, then all the better for an enhanced simulation within the game. My sincere congratulations as well with the three nominees, I wish them well in their future efforts and task, and hope for an open and frank confirmation process.

Clearly this last term as GM has been a failure, and the sole reason of it has been my evident lack of morale. Some RL factors don't help, but it's more of a general burnout with Atlasia considering how I've been able to write well - and write a lot - elsewhere. Thus, I do apologize for the inconveniences this may have created. Now that there will be a team replacing me, I feel free to resign, and will do so to take effect by the end of the week. I do this to provide a clear deadline for any last minute updates I may be inspired to do, both to the benefit of the administration and the next team. All in all, it's been a fun few terms as GM, and I'm glad that my term, while undermined by the same lack of enthusiasm that overtook my predecessors, is to be followed by this new, hopefully dynamic approach.

Is the situation in Sri Lanka the same as it is in OTL?

Most of it, yes, at least the political events. The economic background - I suppose I can say this as the CG office is now eliminated - was less harsh due to the impact of the Taiwan crisis and blockade not being nearly as harsh as the Russo-Ukrainian War effects of RL.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »

On Treason
May 16th, 2023:

From his current office in Gibraltar, bored out of his mind,
and awaiting possible registration as a result of the ABCMA Unamendment Act,
former President Lumine comments on recent events

Dear Atlasians,

Originally this was to be titled "On Seccession".

I decided to be more succinct out of respect for the truth. For what is this latest attempt at seccession but yet another treasonous conspiracy, only this time led from the right? For over a period of years we - and I include myself - have watched from the sidelines as the South has passed a laundry list of far-right, Trumpian and/or conspiracy theory-motivated legislation, always claiming the mantle of supposed defense against tyranny from the Federal Government. This, while tramping on the rights of State Governments and NPCs for daring to disagree with whatever insanity Reactionary and company pushed through a willing and handpicked legislature, often with the sort of token opposition that claims to have a conscience, but votes the way those in power do anyway.

We allowed things to fester as other crises took center stage - such as the nefarious far-left plot to bring down our Republic - and didn't sound the proper alarms when a known manipulator, for whom a sense of ethics has always been optional and whose litany of scandals is too long to be listed, took over a region that had long since stopped paying any attention to reality. That the Governor turned President turned Jefferson Davis cosplayer and a merry band of traitors are now roleplaying the Confederacy ought to be no surprise. But we as a nation should have confronted such insanity much, much earlier. Let this be a lesson for us all, that regional tyrants and despots should never be wooed, appeased or given privileges simply for crying out for supposed Federal tyranny.

Once again, it falls to the Republic's institutions to take action. This they have done so, most honorably. With an energy that would fill the 2014 and 2015 Senate with pride, legislation is in place to fix some of the treasonous poison pills left behind by secessionists, and to take action against those who have dared to commit treason. The Supreme Court appears ever vigilant, and the Administration aware. Citizens rise to denounce the Discord Confederate cabal, and those who, like the Cooperheads of old, try to undermine the Republic while posing as moderates, are rightfully called out for their behavior. Let there by no doubt that this uprising, like all the others before, will fail.

Once it does, we will have to look towards the future. The South will require a process of true Reconstruction to fix the mistakes of the past, treason trials will have to be held, and legislation - particularly the monstrosities passed over the last few years in the Southern legislature - repealed. It will be a titanic task. The game will also suffer from the loss of the latest batch of players to commit treason. But if experience is of any use to anyone else, I say this: do not waver. Do not appease. Do not stop until our Union is preserved, and the South becomes a land of Freedom again. Do not yield until Secession is rightfully classified as the crime that it is. Do not allow Conservacord - or any other far-right cesspool - dictate the way this game is played. And, for the love of the Gods, do not let the new Jefferson Davis shoulder all of the blame as the single culprit. For if Treason from his accomplices goes unpunished, we shall repeat this nonsense soon enough.

Long live the Union!

Lumine.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2023, 02:46:43 PM »

Very well put, Mr. Censor! Thank you!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »

Running for Senate
June 6th, 2023:

My fellow Frémonters,

These are perilous times, for our Republic, for the Commonwealth, and dare I say it, for the game.

Now more than ever, we need individuals willing to stand up for the Union, and to provide leadership and assistance against those who, one way or another, threaten the survival of Atlasia. I consider our distinguished Senator one of those men, and I regret that he feels unable to run for reelection. Should that prospect change for any reason, I will happily withdraw and give way to him so he can continue representing our distinguished and unique Commonwealth.

In his prospective future absence from the halls of the Senate, I have decided to run for office again, for the first time in years. It is not a decision made lightly, but it is not one out of despair either. I am running to ensure Frémont has active, engaged and bold representation in the Senate. If elected, I will loyally support our current or future president - whoever he may be - in helping put down the current insurrection and see that the South undergoes appropiate Reconstruction. I will unequivocally champion the rule of law, the preservation of the Union, the repeal of insane or obstructive legislation, and decisive action against those who have betrayed our Republic.

Beyond this present crisis, I will do myself to stand for environmental friendly policies, for a fiscally responsible government, for game reform - and a Constitutional Convention if need be -, for limiting the impact of A.I. and for the Senate to take an active part in the debate and consideration of Foreign Policy.

For these purposes, I have changed my affiliation to "Unionist". Not to create a new party, but to clearly express where I stand as I face this challenge. I look forward to a spirited campaign, to a debate of ideas should the race become competitive, and, if given the opportunity, to represent this Commonwealth in Nyman once again.

Lumine.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2023, 06:12:50 PM »

Endorsed, my friend. Smile
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2023, 06:15:30 PM »

Vigorously endorsed!!!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2023, 10:56:24 PM »

endorsed! If we didn't have the officeholding GM team member allowance I might not because you're definitely my top pick to replace me should I win the Presidential race.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2023, 11:32:14 PM »

Endorsed!
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2023, 09:34:51 PM »

Hot diggity. Endorsed!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2023, 09:38:46 PM »

Welcome back, and endorsed with enthusiasm.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2023, 05:52:25 PM »

Hello,

I would like to field two questions to you which I fielded to another candidate:

How would you have voted on rail nationalization and steel nationalization if you were in the Senate now?

Also, what are your goals in terms of repealing legislation passed which was written by Mr. R?

Thanks.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2023, 12:40:02 AM »

endorsed! If we didn't have the officeholding GM team member allowance I might not because you're definitely my top pick to replace me should I win the Presidential race.

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen! It is very much appreciated.

Hello,

I would like to field two questions to you which I fielded to another candidate:

How would you have voted on rail nationalization and steel nationalization if you were in the Senate now?

Also, what are your goals in terms of repealing legislation passed which was written by Mr. R?

Thanks.

Hm.

I am a skeptic of nationalization in general. It tends to be an inefficient way to solve problems which has been a bit too romanticized as being more effective than it actually is. I can see the argument in case of a given strategic resource, but in general, it doesn't feel like Atlasia needs or would even benefit from government monopolies as much as there has been ideological appetite for it over the past eight years or so.

As such, I can firmly say no to steel nationalization. It's also a no to the specific proposal on rail that failed in the Senate and to instant rail nationalization, but - as  a train enthusiast - I could consider some form of greater involvement from the state, more planification (which is sorely needed) and greater support for our current national passenger railroad company (is it still Amtrak?), provided the proposal is practical enough.

As to Mr. R, I have no qualms conceding much of his legislative output is valuable, and would not seek to purge bills solely because he authored them. I will, however, make it a priority to pursue the repeal of those that are purposely disruptive (such as the ones that made it difficult for the federal government to respond to secession), those that peddle conspiracy theories or culture war stuff, and those which I feel - after serious consideration - to do more harm than good.

As it is, most of them are probably concentrated in the South as regional bills as opposed to being federal laws, but I will undertake a thorough review of federal statue just in case.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2023, 12:52:28 AM »

Endorsed
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2023, 03:22:33 AM »

Endorsed!
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2023, 06:51:43 AM »

Thanks for the thorough answer. Endorsed!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2023, 11:10:39 AM »

Thanks for the thorough answer. Endorsed!

^^^ This
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies