The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)  (Read 5739 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »

Maybe we can bring back a taste of 2014 to both chambers. Actual debate, more than a handful of amendments and massive results in spite of an evenly split chamber, still rivals anything before and most anything since then.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:27 PM »

Congratulations on your victory!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 02:14:41 PM »

Press Release: Recent Developments
Fremont, March 5th:

Korean Reunification:

I warmly welcome the latest vote on the National Assembly of South Korea regarding the start of the reunification process, an end to the artificial division of the Korean Peninsula imposed by the grim realities of the early Cold War and which led not only to the indescribable suffering of the North Korean people under the horrors of totalitarianism, but to the bloodshed of two difficult wars.

Despite this collective suffering, it is extremely encouraging to see not only the peace that several Presidents and Secretaries of State fought hard to achieve (for which I feel a small and personal measure of pride as one of the many involved) has lasted and remains stable, but that the process of forging a new, united and democratic Korea is now a firm reality. It will not be an easy path, and it will be filled with difficult decisions, but it is my belief that the people of both Koreas will be able to prevail on this most worthy challenge, and that the Republic of Atlasia must be as supportive of this process as it is possible. It is my hope either the President or the Secretary of State will be able to travel to Pyongyang for what promises to be a crucial meeting.

Djibouti-Eritrean Conflict:

It is clear to me that we have witnessed an act of aggression on behalf of a most reprehensible dictatorship against its neighbor, an act which should warrant international condemnation and proper support for Djibouti on this difficult time. It is also my belief that the Republic of Atlasia should undertake every diplomatic effort to get Eritrea to back down from this reckless move, and once I take office as a Representative I intend to introduce a resolution condemning Eritrea's actions and expressing to the State Department the importance of supporting Djibouti and avoiding a larger conflict in the area.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology:

The rumours and accusations surrounding the MIT and the mental health of their students are very concerning, and it is my sincere hope - and belief - both the Government of Lincoln and the Attorney General - will take appropriate actions to investigate this situation and adopt appropriate measures both to protect the students's mental health and general well-being; as well as prosecute or punish any reprehensible behavior undertaken by the MIT or other similar institutions. Though precautions must be taken regarding sensitive information in terms of the privacy of involved students, transparency on the actual events must be a goal for any authority taking up action on this crucial issue. Although I have no concrete notes on potential legislation yet, I'll be interested in debating and/or supporting potential proposals that arise before the House.

Lumine.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2020, 08:03:41 PM »

Game Moderator Nomination
Nyman, April 12th:

My fellow Atlasians,

It has been my privilege to serve as your representative for the past six weeks. Although unexpected developments have prevented me from being active in drafting legislation, I have done my best to play an active part by debating, voting and trying to improve on bills presented to the House, so as to be a Representative that contributes to the legislative process rather than being a drawback on it. That process has proved to be an enjoyable done, and despite some misgivings I was looking forward to launching a spirited reelection campaign for a second term. Alas, events - always unexpected - have struck in a way I did not expect.

Upon the regrettable deregistration of GM Ninja, President Pericles asked me today whether I would accept nomination as GM, and upon some reflection I chose to accept. It is my belief that I can be of far more service to the nation running the Game Engine - alongside the Comptroller General - than as a Representative in the House. More importantly, I believe in the importance of the Game Engine. I pushed for the current Constitutional language on it back at the Constitutional Convention, and I've been both enthusiastic and frustrated at some of the excellent or inactive GM's we've had since then. Simply put, the game should not be just about elections.

The single biggest problem facing Atlasia is the lack of consequences for actions, and the GM can have a crucial role in a more active and engaging game. One of the most enjoyable parts of my Presidency was that I had the privilege of nominating and working with two great Atlasians as GM: Dr. Cynic and Kalwejt, both of which provided my administration with a lot of interaction, news and challenges which proved very fun to interact with. That, I think, represents what I want to see on the Game Engine. A positive factor for the game which allows officeholders and citizens to engage and enjoy more of the game, providing effects, storylines and consequences to the decisions of players that make for a more detailed experience.

I sincerely thank President Pericles for this wonderful opportunity and look forward to the Senate confirmation hearings, for which I am already preparing a set of proposals and/or general thoughts on the Game Engine. Though this will be a tremendous personal challenge, I thoroughly welcome it.

Sincerely,

Lumine.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 09:08:43 PM »

How receptive will you be of requests by users to simulate stories? Should we know anything about this process to make it a shoe in?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2020, 10:06:52 PM »

How receptive will you be of requests by users to simulate stories? Should we know anything about this process to make it a shoe in?

Very receptive. Although Deputies are a thing of the past, I'll be opening a space for players - and or unofficial deputies - to submit either story ideas or written stories, which will be published (or written) if judged acceptable or realistic enough.

Generally I'd say that people will be strongly encouraged to make requests, but that those requests aren't guaranteed to be accepted.

Still working on how I'll streamline the process to make it a bit more transparent (and whether I'll be implementing dynamics I used on hosted games at the Elections Board), but the more participation the better.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »

GLORIOUS NEWS!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2020, 03:51:27 AM »

News so glorious Truman is typing in all-caps!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2020, 01:31:30 PM »

“I have existed from the morning of the world
and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night.
Although I have taken the form of Lumine von Reuental,
I am all men as I am no man
and therefore I am... a god.”

I'd like to thank the Senate for its unanimous vote to confirm me as Game Moderator, and thank President Pericles once again for his kind nomination. This office will serve as an unofficial channel of communication for people to make requests/questions/suggestions/complaints or for me to make unofficial statements.

In that sense, I have three things to say:

1.- "Pontifex Maximus"

As promised, my tenure as GM will be Roman-themed in certain ways (it may be particularly noticeable on the Acta Publica). Among some purely symbolic changes, I'll be issuing a similar directive to the one I issued while serving as President Pro Tempore of the Senate (renaming the position "Princeps Senatus"). In this case, to honor the chief pontiffs of the Roman Republic by adopting the title of Pontifex Maximus.

Quote from: GM Directive #001
The Game Moderator of the Republic of Atlasia is to be referred to as Pontifex Maximus for the duration of his term in office.

2.- Participation

As I've said before, I'd like to encourage public participation and interaction with the GM. After I settle into the role I'll be more able to contact people, but in the meantime:

Communication: You can approach me here, via PM or in Discord for any questions or issues you may like to bring up. Formal responses - such as official GM reports - will come via PM.

Participation: I'm open to input on potential GM storylines. My earlier poll resulted in quite a few good ideas or requests, but if people want to collaborate writing a story or suggesting one feel free to reach out in public or in private.

Interviews: Though just a secondary feature of the Game Engine, I will be conducting Crusader-style interviews, though no more than one a week. Anyone interested on being the first - or subsequent - interview can request one here or in private.

3.- Current Work

I've already started work and research during the last few days, and I'm happy to announce the following has been done:

• A draft of a proposal for simulated NPC elections in state and local government. Can be implemented as soon the South and Lincoln determine electoral systems for their regions.
  • A compilation of all the storylines pursued by previous GM's since the reset, a publish "History of Atlasia" that clarifies present canon.
  • The opening of the new "Acta Publica" thread, an a few Wiki updates regarding the end of Ninja's tenure and the start of my own.

I can also state I'm working on the following:

• A compilation of all the actions taken by officeholders regarding the Coronavirus, to be published as a helpful - ideally objective - guide of what's been done so far.
  • Work on new storylines. There's a list ready now, articles being written for publication.

That's it for now. Really excited about this, hope to get the first stories and documents out today.

LumineVonReuental, Pontifex Maximus.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »

End of Test Run:
May 25th, 2020:

Back when I was undergoing the Confirmation Hearings, I was worried about the potential of not being able to perform my duties actively despite my keen interest on the job. Thus, and to spare the nation the potential of another inactive GM, I made a pledge to have some sort of a 30-day test run to see whether I could indeed sustain reasonable levels of activity against RL pressure and/or duties:

What I'm not here to do is to be an inactive GM surviving through sheer inertia. I want to serve in this position and I want to serve in it for a reasonably long time, but in order to do that, I need to believe that I am doing a reasonably good job. So my pledge is this: if after the first 30 days I see that I am not being able to sustain reasonable activity levels (whether due to RL or something else), I will resign.

Happy to say that as of today it's been 30 days since I became Pontifex Maximus, and I'm reasonably satisfied with what has been done thus far. Some unfinished storylines are picked up again, I've been trying to showcase consequences (good and bad) of player actions, and we're well on our way to potentially having the first NPC elections depending on when the last regions passes appropriate legislation. So I won't be resigning and will do my best to stay on the job as long as I can whilst being effective on the role.

I have been somewhat delayed in publishing new stories because of my thesis (still writing), but I have a list of stuff that needs to go out. Not sure if people like having several stories in a single update or would prefer more frequent updates of a single story, but we'll probably be trying the second model during the week so I can get some stuff published. Also, interviews are open in case anyone is interested.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »

Real life always comes first, and a warning a little ahead of time never hurts. I hope you excel in producing your thesis and continuing the grand work you’ve started in Atlasia.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2020, 09:40:51 PM »

Will be taking a leave of absence until Wednesday night at the very minimum. Hoping to eventually have more detailed regional numbers of the pandemic, but can't make promises due to RL time constraints.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »

Taking on an indefinite leave of absence. Thesis is going well (thank the gods), but work pressure has me in an unpleasant situation which I need to deal with.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »

Back! Haven't quite solved my problem, but it's becoming somewhat easier to handle. Will be resuming work on pandemic updates and the NPC elections, but happy to take requests or questions once again.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »

Heads up, there's been a continued slowdown on updates because work pressure has resurfaced very intensely, it's taking up a lot of mental energy to address (that's why updates and some responses are still pending).

Still have my notes and a list of outstanding stuff though, hoping to be able to devote time to it soon.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »

Hi, I'd just like to ask for a clarification about the effectiveness of the DefeatCoronavirus app so far.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2020, 11:42:44 PM »

Four Months in Office:
September 7th, 2020:

How time flies! I noticed a couple of days ago my tenure had surpassed four months, which is the longest I've been able to fulfill a particular role since 2014 (I think). Nothing in comparison to the titans who have held the office for periods equal or longer than a year, but still something worth celebrating for myself as, unlike both periods as Vice President, the tenure is not mandated by the Constitution. Pleased to say that, at least for the time being, the Game Engine seems to be functioning as both the offices of GM/Pontifex Maximus and Comptroller General are filled and active.

It can always function better, of course, and one thing I've found surprisingly difficult to do is to maintain a decent pace of news updates (as well as handle the particular storylines).

Though deputies are no longer an official position, I'm increasingly convinced that given the responsibilities assigned to the GM - currently amplified as a by-product of NPC elections - the position is perhaps too much for a single individual, which is why I'm strongly considering invoking a possible road mentioned in my confirmation hearings and having unofficial deputies. Someone eminently qualified has expressed his future potential availability, but it never hurts to let people know I could use someone willing to write stories. Alternatively, always happy to recieve story ideas or even for people to write articles for publication in the Acta Publica after review.

NPC elections in particular are something I'm increasingly pleased with as they've surpassed virtually every expectation I've had, so it is my hope the mechanism not only continues to work and be improved, but manages to last under my eventual successor. Although there are some aspects of the game that I do miss, I do find this position very rewarding, and I expect to remain Pontifex Maximus for the forseeable future.

Anyway, just wanted to share a few reflections and/or invite comments and suggestions on what can be improved moving forward.

NEW DIRECTIVES:
Regarding different matters of interest:

Quote from: GM Directive #002
The Pontifex Maximus shall maintain a thread for updates and/or clarification on current events, under the title of "Acta Publica".

Quote from: GM Directive #003
The Pontifex Maximus shall run NPC elections for the state and local governments of the Republic of Atlasia at the end of every month, based upon a public and previously determined calendar and schedule. This and subsequent directives regarding said elections will be legally based upon Article VI, Section 1 of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia; and Section 3, ii. b of the Game Engine Reconstruction Act.

Quote from: GM Directive #004
The Pontifex Maximus shall maintain a thread for rules and results concerning NPC elections for the state and local governments of the Republic of Atlasia.

Quote from: GM Directive #005
State and local NPC elections shall be governed, both in terms of rules and results, via use of a formal game system. The system must consider grading methods for campaign materials, penalties and bonuses for different aspects, and its results shall be calculated by an unequal combination of three main electoral factors: player campaigning, registration and voter dynamics, and fundamental factors.

Quote from: GM Directive #006
The Pontifex Maximus shall implement the electoral methods and systems determined by the regions for NPC elections via appropiate legislation within reason, and will reserve the right to determine the level of detail based on his/her possibilities as an individual.

Quote from: GM Directive #007
The Pontifex Maximus will be allowed to offer limited feedback to players concerning NPC elections, ideally - but not exclusively - via a news article after every monthly set of elections. However, he/she will not be under any obligation to disclose the specific details of the "game system", campaigning marks, or any other info judged as sensitive. He/she will additionally be barred from preferential treatment in terms of disclosing information.

Quote from: GM Directive #008
The Pontifex Maximus, until this directive is amended or revoked, shall make use of the "Burr System" (created by LumineVonReuental) in terms of its "game system" for NPC elections. An appropiately censored version of the system will be made public at the earliest possible moment.

Hi, I'd just like to ask for a clarification about the effectiveness of the DefeatCoronavirus app so far.

Feels rather embarrasing to have missed responding to this - could have sworn I had, yet only now I notice that I hadn't -, so my sincere apologies! I can issue a more detailed clarification in case there's still interest in one, but I can say the DefeatCoronavirus app - which on early June hadn't had much of an impact two weeks after launch - did see improved numbers thorought July and August, only to recede into the background as no additional promotion (beyond what one might expect from NPC's) was undertaken. It is generally believed it has been useful for some of the more urban-heavy states that have managed to enter a positive trend, but signups have been somewhat limited thus far.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »

Will be taking a leave of absence for the remainder of this week.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »

I'll try to be brief, but I did want to touch upon a few issues. Though I'll be fine in the end I have sort of reached a point of emotional exhaustion - partly due to the recent demise in my family, partly due to stress - so in a few days I'll be taking a break of a couple of weeks. Won't be available other than to start the NPC cycle on the 7th or for very urgent questions.

Nonetheless, I'll be dealing with the ongoing backlog tomorrow and wednesday, including outstanding questions ans a couple of updates and news stories, so ideally there shouldn't be anything pending once I leave. I think I have every pending request listed, but do remind me if there's anything urgent or requested in case I've missed it.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2020, 12:15:34 AM »

Backlog has been cleared! In the Acta Publica you'll find NPC election results, stories on Paflagonia, presidential pardons and the Salt Tax, a report on international developments, and the latest pandemic update, and a clarification. I'll be taking on an extensive LOA starting on Thursday morning and will probably only be available to start the December NPC cycle on Monday, I doubt I'll be around for more.

Hopefully these new developments will keep people busy!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »

You've been working so damn hard the past couple days. You've definitely earned a break.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »

You may have noticed the current Acta Publica update is even longer than usual, but the backlog of stories had increased significantly due to recent player actions - or interactions - and ongoing storylines, so I put four events this time to get things moving.

Expect at least one more publication this week (more but not solely focused on the pandemic), with a couple of very important developments.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »

Quote from: GM Directive #009
By the power invested in the Game Engine by the Amendment to the Lincoln Downballot elections Act, all terms of governors, legislators, and local officers elected between July and December 2020 are extended by a single month. All elections for said positions are postponed by a month.

Quote from: GM Directive #010
The Pontifex Maximus recognizes the Frémont State and Local Government Special Extension Act, and will alter election dates and terms accordingly.

(Almost nine months in office! I'm utterly astounded I've lasted this long in a single position)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2021, 11:32:50 PM »

On the Future:
February 23rd, 2021

With the electoral process finally over, I wanted to take the time to issue a few thoughts and, after informing the President-Elect of a decision of mine taken before the election, make an announcement.

The first order of business is, naturally, to congratulate Chief Justice Windjammer on a rather stunning election victory. While not completely surprising due to being more than aware of his Pre-Reset electoral prowess, it is still quite an achievement. The same goes for the victors and their challengers, many of which put up impressive fights amidst an election season which, sadly, has had its share of drama and controversy. On an additional note, I also thank those who wrote in my name for office, it is greatly appreciated.

As I told the President-Elect today, it is my intention to step down as Pontifex Maximus / Game Moderator in the next few days, hopefully - but not necessarily - with a successor in place. However, it is not my intention to leave with stuff left to do, so I'll be addressing the GM backlog during the next few days to ensure the incoming Administration and or the citizens have all the contextual information they require. By my mental count, the current backlog includes:

• -A pandemic and vaccine distribution update
  • -A foreign policy update, addressing the status of current storylines
  • -Pending discussions with the Secretary of State (apologies for this!)
  • -A report to Congress on High Speed Rail (requires a CG response)
  • -A ruling/report based on a player request (also requires a CG response)
  • -A few additional rulings, some based on player info (Koopa in particular made a contribution)
  • -February NPC results, naturally

It is possible I'm missing some stuff, so please let me know if there's something I left out (also last chance to make requests, but bear in mind the current backlog will already require a ton of work).

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:27 PM »

Sad news for the country —but a rest well-earned, nonetheless. After SoFE, holding down the papacy is at once the most thanklessly difficult and necessary jobs in the game. I did my best for a year and can attest to the enormous portfolio that even the most gifted pontiffs struggle with. I think I speak for everyone worth listening to when I say you have done an extraordinary thing in these past months —keeping an eye on the pandemic, creating an inventive and realistic global environment, and the glorious success of the NPC elections which I doubt any successor will be able to replicate. Well done! I hope retirement will afford you some much-needed rest and the chance to pursue other creative challenges.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies