The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Office of Lumine (Running for Frémont Senate)  (Read 5698 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
« edited: June 06, 2023, 04:43:01 PM by Lumine »

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the gap up with our reformers fallen!
In exile there’s nothing so becomes an Atlasian,
As tranquil rest and meditation;
But when the danger of stagnation shows its face,
Then imitate the fiery nature of the player:
Stiffen the fingers, conjure up the keyboard,
Turn moderate nature into hard-charging passion
Follow your spirit; and upon this race,
Cry “Gods for Atlasia! For Reform! And for competitive game!

Lumine for
House of Representatives:

Salt Lake City, Commonwealth of Fremont,
February 19th:

Opening Speech:

Good evening, my fellow citizens.

I'm pleased to be able to speak to you once again after several months of self-imposed exile. Without wanting to dwell excessively in the past, I would like to note that despite the very regrettable and admittedly bitter circumstances of my departure, these past few months have helped me to relax and rest from the emotional rigours of the game. Although things really aren't going well in Chile, I do feel better about myself and about life, and so I return with a newfound sense of optimism and energy, and with a desire to continue fighting for the old and new causes I feel so strongly about.

Yankee asked of many of us a simple yet devastating question. If not us, who? If not now, when?

Although I did not forsee that my return would immediately result in a new run for elected office, I find myself compelled to step forward and be a candidate. This is why I'm announcing that I'll be running as a write-in candidate for the House of Representatives in the election set to start very soon. It is not a decision that I take lightly, but it is one I take with optimism and with a sense both of fulfilling a necessary purpose and having fun. I worry about the prospect of an Atlasia that becomes an uncompetitive, unengaging place that could be governed through the domination of a single party. It is something I have objected to in the past, and it is something I do object to now. I think the game benefits from competitive elections, and thus I am happy to stand and help achieve this purpose.

However, I do not run merely for the sake of running.

I would very much like to return to Congress and start a new experience as a member of the House, to offer my experience, my ideals, my principles and some old and new proposals so that I can contribute to that noble body and help the game in any way I can. Whether it is by standing for pro-environment policies, for necessary fiscal responsibility, for an active and effective foreign policy, for a spirit of reform and renewal of our political system, and by standing for newer ideas, such as dealing with the problems posed by issues like automation and the rise of technology, I feel I can be of help in offering a somewhat different perspective, either broadening the debate or ensuring said debate is more active, more engaging, and (hopefully) more responsible.

Of course, this will be quite a challenge. Not being able to vote for myself, I nonetheless intend to campaign actively and strongly during the few hours left to this campaign, and offer a more detailed list of principles and policies as well. Win or lose I intend to be an active part of this game and to continue my creative (and journalistic) efforts, but if elected I would be proud to serve actively in the House and help our Republic in any way I can.

Thank you very much,

Lumine.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:00:41 PM »

Strongly Endorsed!!!!!! We need you now more than ever.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 11:09:00 PM »

Strongly endorsed!
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 01:30:07 AM »

ENDORSED
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 03:06:45 AM »

I am so glad you are back!!! Endorsed!
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:40:53 AM »

Endorsed!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 07:53:23 AM »

A proven candidate with a great résumé and some great ideas.

Endorsed!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »

Return of the King

endorsed.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »

ENDORSED! Return Balance to Atlasia!
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 01:40:48 PM »

Endorsed!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »

Glorious news! I have no idea how my ballot will look on Sunday night, but I hope you're one of the nine fighting for us in Nyman come March.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »

Glad to see you returning! Endorsed!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2020, 12:45:06 AM by Lumine »

The Candidate:

• Former President (Nov. 2014 - Mar. 2015) and former Vice President (twice) of Atlasia, as well as Senator, Governor, SOS, Archduke and others. Joined in 2012.
  • Owner of Reuental Media Group, publisher of two newspapers and three musicals. Has a weakness for cheap satire and non-contemporary references.
  • Proud Fremonter, sincerely believes in the Commonwealth and the merits of its semi-parliamentary system.
  • Convinced of the need for Atlasia to evolve with the times, particularly in terms of game mechanics.
  • Would rather have the game being played in the board than elsewhere.

Platform:

An Active Foreign Policy: For the past few years I’ve been doing my best to ensure foreign policy is conducted responsibly in Atlasia, so that our Republic plays an active and positive role in the world when challenges require our action. As President I led an effective fight against ISIS without deploying land forces, as SOS I helped to negotiate the end of the war in Korea and repair our relationship to nations like Cambodia, and as a Senator I fought to increase the oversight of Congress over foreign policy, and to peacefully promote democracy and the respect of human rights. I shall fight for these principles in Congress, and will:

• Draft resolutions to express the opinion of Congress regarding significant foreign developments.
  • Promote the deployment of foreign aid to address the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela, and support the Transitional Government’s move for free and fair elections.
  • Offer constructive criticism regarding Atlasian foreign policy, inviting Congress to propose actions to the next Administration.
  • Promote a reform of how foreign aid is granted, seeking to address the potential waste and/or funding to corrupt or questionable regimes.
  • Review foreign policy bills passed by Congress that may have been forgotten or not implemented.

Environmental Leadership: The challenge is today and it is urgent, and although Atlasia is far ahead than the OTL United States in terms of environmental protection there is still a lot of work to be done. Having strongly supported environmental causes in the past while in the Senate – and opposed bills that I perceived as weakening necessary measures -, I aspire to do the same in the House of Representatives. Atlasia must not only take urgent short term measures regarding endangered species and local crisis linked to global warming and pollution, it must lead actively into the foreign stage and in terms of ambitious, long-term solutions.

• Promote and accelerate decarbonization efforts, adopting measures to, for example, promote and expand public transportation, electric cars, or tough fines for business who engage in particularly harmful practices.
  • Support the use of nuclear power – particularly research on Thorium-based nuclear power – as a temporary solution to phase out other non-renewable energies.
  • Seek to strengthen current protections for endangered species and measures against certain instances of animal cruelty, including efforts to persuade other nations to join such efforts or follow such guidelines.
  • Seek to work with the Department of State on “environmental diplomacy”, aiding current efforts or promoting new ones through resolutions.
  • Explore measures such as the “biodiversity net gain” in terms of housing or commercial development in certain areas of the country.

Fiscal Responsibility: It has been my belief for years that the nation cannot afford to engage in excessive spending or bankrupt itself through debt and deficits, and thus I believe projects that seek significant levels of spending must be funded or must account for the realities of our economy. Though I am not opposed to what could be considered urgent or necessary projects, I pledge to look carefully at legislation that seeks to increase spending and oppose the notion of dumping money into problems merely for the sake of it. An Atlasia which spends far more than it has cannot be a healthy Atlasia.

Technology and Automation: Though it would be disingenuous to pretend to be 100% supportive of the RL Andrew Yang candidacy, I had a lot of sympathy for Yang and thought he raised a lot of relevant and previously under discussed issues, many of which also affect Atlasia directly. As a result, I am keenly interested in addressing the rise of technology and the growing rate of automation in our country, in the hopes that the seemingly inevitable human impact can not only be mitigated but dealt with in the long term. As a Representative, I’d like to be both promoting technology when it is beneficial and address some of the problems it may bring.

Other Domestic Policies:

• Support the expansion of housing in order to address both homelessness and the issues associated with overcrowding and excessively expensive cities. Will strongly oppose NIMBYISM as a major roadblock to solving the housing issue. Will promote local and innovative housing projects.
  • Study implementation of some Yang-based proposals, including a reform on how economic indicators are set up (possible Atlasian Scorecard), dealing with the issue of personal data and its treatment as a right.
  • Promote cyber-security both of individuals (fighting cyber-crime) as well as of the government (preventing cyber-terrorism).

Game Reform: Whenever the game seems to be facing some degree of stagnation, I have been of the belief that constitutional or game mechanical changes are necessary in order to stimulate change and renewal, and help the improve deal with new and old problems that arise. In that cause I have promoted several different reform programs – some successful, some never implemented -, and I would also look forward to the notion of defending reform from the House. However, it would be my goal to this time consider smaller reforms and potentially new game mechanics as opposed to wholesale constitutional reform. This may include some proposals to simulate – on an indirect, non-activity threatening - local or state governments, or reforms to the concept of special elections, among others.

Endorsements:
LouisvilleThunder
Encke
SlippingJimmy
North Carolina Yankee
RGN08

KoopaDaQuick
Weatherboy
Ishan
West_Midlander
Fhtagn
Cinyc
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »

Strongly Endorsed!!!!!! We need you now more than ever.

A proven candidate with a great résumé and some great ideas.

Endorsed!

ENDORSED! Return Balance to Atlasia!

Glorious news! I have no idea how my ballot will look on Sunday night, but I hope you're one of the nine fighting for us in Nyman come March.

Thank you all so much for the kind comments! Have posted a platform to be as thorough as possible, though of course several ideas are still tentative given the unexpected nature of the candidacy.

I look forward to the final hours of campaiging!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »

Given your support for game reform as a response to perceived stagnations, what are some of your proposals in that area?

Truth be told, I haven't thought of game reform as a possible solution for the current problems as I do not think that is what is causing them.

I have always thought of Atlasia as a game with 2 halves: a government simulator and an elections simulator. The former is running acceptably as of now (there is a lot of work to be done in the GM area, including appointing a Comptroller general which I hope Pericles does soon, but Congress and the regions are running acceptably)

If anything it seems it is the elections half the one that is having more problems. While reforms can help in this area when needed, I can't think of any that would be good here. Most proposals off the top of my head would be counter productive in fact (federal parliamentarism, districts, party lists, etc)
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »

I echo Truman's thoughts most strongly. Lumine returning is a great positive development, and I look forward to seeing your work in Congress!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »

Endorsed!
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 08:31:37 PM »

good luck
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:18 PM »

Best of luck! You would be a positive addition to our congress.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »

Congratulations on pulling off a last minute return and victory! I look forward to seeing the ideas you bring to congress and good luck in your first time serving in the People's House.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »

Congratulations on your victory and welcome to the House!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 06:21:20 PM »

Congratulations Lumine on your electoral victory for the House.

I am confident you will be making many positive contributions for the people of Atlasia.

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »

Congratulations Lumine! I'm very happy to see you were elected!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »

Thank you so much, gentlemen! I'll wait for certification before delivering a victory speech, but I do feel greatly encouraged and proud of the potential results.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 07:18:49 PM »

Will be using this portrait of the esteemed
liberal statesman Benjamin Constant from now on

Victory Speech:
Salt Lake City, Commonwealth of Fremont,
February 25th:

Had I been told a few days ago that I would be back from exile and a Representative-Elect today I would have laughed in disbelief - or uttered an unkind exclamation -, but it is official. There is a lot that could be said, but I think the most important thing of all is that the sense of optimism and encouragement with which I returned a few days ago is even stronger now, and to me that is a very significant thing.

More than anything, this election was incredibly fun. Despite the limited time to campaign and to contact people the ideas flowed, the responses were unexpectedly positive, and the dynamics of the House election reminded be of my times as an At-Large Senator back in 2014, some of the best times I ever had on this game. To relieve that was a priceless experience, and I'd like to thank the friends and voters (new and old) who made that possible.

There's just too many people to mention and thank, but I'd like to offer a honorary mention to Yankee for an inspiring call into action for those of us sitting on the sidelines, to Tack and others for their encouraging comments, to those who welcomed me, those who voted for me, and those I ran with and against, all of them remarkable Atlasians.

There will be a lot of work to be done both in the House and writing for The Crusader, but I fully trust it will be fun, invigorating and hopefully productive. May not a single day of those be a dull one.

My sincere thanks, my fellow Atlasians!

Lumine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies