Thurmond 1948 voters in 1964, 1968, 1976, and 1980
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:53:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Thurmond 1948 voters in 1964, 1968, 1976, and 1980
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thurmond 1948 voters in 1964, 1968, 1976, and 1980  (Read 1044 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »

Who did Thurmond 1948 voters vote for in 1964, 1968, 1976, and 1980? Did they largely all vote for the same candidate in all these elections or were they split in some of them?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »

A significant portion of the Thurmond vote, that being the upscale and business oriented classes in the South who had previous been Democratic because one party region, would become the base of the GOP in the Deep South across the next three decades.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 01:38:30 AM »

A significant portion of the Thurmond vote, that being the upscale and business oriented classes in the South who had previous been Democratic because one party region, would become the base of the GOP in the Deep South across the next three decades.

Pretty much this. Dwight Eisenhower picked up much of Thurmond's support in 1952/56, and he did exceptionally well in urban and suburban areas throughout the Deep South, carrying cities such as Mobile, Birmingham, Montgomery, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Baton Rouge. In the Outer South, he won by landslide margins over Stevenson in cities such as Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Bentonville, Fayetteville, Charlotte, and Richmond. Eisenhower's pickup of much of the Thurmond vote enabled him to carry all of the Outer South states except North Carolina (in addition to Louisiana, in 1956) and to receive a much higher percentage in Mississippi and South Carolina, in particular, than previous Republicans had garnered (and higher percentages in Georgia and Alabama then any Republican aside from Herbert Hoover in 1928 had obtained since at least the turn of the 20th century).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »

^Adding to the above, Barry Goldwater in 1964, Richard Nixon in 1968 (and in 1972), and Ronald Reagan in 1980 almost certainly won Thurmond 1948 voters, particularly since all three of these Republicans were endorsed by Thurmond himself. Thurmond's influence helped to decide South Carolina in those years, particularly in 1968, when Nixon prevailed by a narrow margin over George Wallace. In 1976 of course, South Carolina went by 13% for Jimmy Carter, although Thurmond endorsed and campaigned for Gerald Ford. It's possible that Ford still won a majority of living Thurmond 1948 voters, but my guess is that Carter cut deeply into them-of course, his overall margin of victory was provided by blacks. Most living Thurmond 1948 voters in Georgia, on the other hand, probably went for their native son Carter.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 04:37:44 AM »

^Adding to the above, Barry Goldwater in 1964, Richard Nixon in 1968 (and in 1972), and Ronald Reagan in 1980 almost certainly won Thurmond 1948 voters, particularly since all three of these Republicans were endorsed by Thurmond himself. Thurmond's influence helped to decide South Carolina in those years, particularly in 1968, when Nixon prevailed by a narrow margin over George Wallace. In 1976 of course, South Carolina went by 13% for Jimmy Carter, although Thurmond endorsed and campaigned for Gerald Ford. It's possible that Ford still won a majority of living Thurmond 1948 voters, but my guess is that Carter cut deeply into them-of course, his overall margin of victory was provided by blacks. Most living Thurmond 1948 voters in Georgia, on the other hand, probably went for their native son Carter.

I am not totally sure that Nixon won Thurmond voters in 1968 considering that George Wallace destroyed him among White voters in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana - three states where Thurmond swept in 1948 as he was put on the ballot as the official Democratic candidate (and which collectively had roughly half of the total national votes for Strom).
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »

I am not totally sure that Nixon won Thurmond voters in 1968 considering that George Wallace destroyed him among White voters in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana - three states where Thurmond swept in 1948 as he was put on the ballot as the official Democratic candidate (and which collectively had roughly half of the total national votes for Strom).

They definitely went Kennedy/Byrd -> Goldwater -> Wallace -> Nixon

Wallace's 1968 performance was the strongest among any Dixiecrat/segregationist type figure.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »

That's true. I should have said Thurmond voters in South Carolina, where Nixon did best in the counties that had strongly supported Thurmond twenty years previously. In the other Deep Southern States, they almost certainly did go for George Wallace.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »

That's true. I should have said Thurmond voters in South Carolina, where Nixon did best in the counties that had strongly supported Thurmond twenty years previously. In the other Deep Southern States, they almost certainly did go for George Wallace.

South Carolina results:

Thurmond: 72% with 102,607 votes

Wallace: 32% with 215,430 votes

I expect that the majority of Thurmond voters went for Wallace. Notice that the number of Wallace voters was double the number of Thurmond voters, despite being a way smaller share of the electorate. You have to remember when looking at the percentages that the majority of southerners were disenfranchised in the 1940s. MS and SC had some of the strictest voting rules in the union, and these laws essentially kept their states as Democratic strongholds for almost a century — from the end of Reconstruction to the Civil Rights era.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »

South Carolina results:

I expect that the majority of Thurmond voters went for Wallace. Notice that the number of Wallace voters was double the number of Thurmond voters, despite being a way smaller share of the electorate. You have to remember when looking at the percentages that the majority of southerners were disenfranchised in the 1940s. MS and SC had some of the strictest voting rules in the union, and these laws essentially kept their states as Democratic strongholds for almost a century — from the end of Reconstruction to the Civil Rights era.

People forget that somewhere like SC or MS it wasn’t just blacks disenfranchised but also many poor whites. SC in particular during Jim Crow had the most restricted franchise in the nation, resulting in a tiny, wealthy, elitist electorate unwavering in its loyalty to the Democratic Party.

Ironically it would be some of these voters who would be early Republican converts, while newly enfranchised white voters were more Democratic.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »

South Carolina results:

I'm aware about how many poorer whites were excluded from the electorate of South Carolina and of many other states prior to the middle of the twentieth century. Between 1948 and 1952, turnout in South Carolina, in particular, increased significantly, rising from 142,571 to 341,086. Much of that increase in turnout clearly benefited the Republicans, as Dwight D. Eisenhower came very close to winning South Carolina that year. There is evidence to suggest that many of the Dixiecratic voters of 1948 were among the first to break to Republicans within the South, as they did for Eisenhower, and later for Nixon. It must also be remembered that Republicans generally established themselves in the urban and suburban areas of those states first, before branching out into the rurals-and Dixiecratic voters tended to be wealthier, more educated, and more concentrated in such areas.

Moreover, Thomas E. Dewey only got 4% of the vote in South Carolina in 1948. I wouldn't be surprised if most of that elite Thurmond vote went to Nixon in 1968, as it did for Eisenhower in 1952, while Wallace's support rested heavily upon the upcountry whites who had backed Harry Truman, in addition to those whites who gained the franchise following the abolition of the poll tax. Hubert Humphrey generally prevailed in the Black Belt due to newly enfranchised black voters-an effect due to the Voting Rights Act. Kevin Philips in The Emerging Republican Majority provides a pretty solid explanation of the support Wallace found among poorer, upcountry whites.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 07:28:58 AM »

South Carolina results:

I'm aware about how many poorer whites were excluded from the electorate of South Carolina and of many other states prior to the middle of the twentieth century. Between 1948 and 1952, turnout in South Carolina, in particular, increased significantly, rising from 142,571 to 341,086. Much of that increase in turnout clearly benefited the Republicans, as Dwight D. Eisenhower came very close to winning South Carolina that year. There is evidence to suggest that many of the Dixiecratic voters of 1948 were among the first to break to Republicans within the South, as they did for Eisenhower, and later for Nixon. It must also be remembered that Republicans generally established themselves in the urban and suburban areas of those states first, before branching out into the rurals-and Dixiecratic voters tended to be wealthier, more educated, and more concentrated in such areas.

Moreover, Thomas E. Dewey only got 4% of the vote in South Carolina in 1948. I wouldn't be surprised if most of that elite Thurmond vote went to Nixon in 1968, as it did for Eisenhower in 1952, while Wallace's support rested heavily upon the upcountry whites who had backed Harry Truman, in addition to those whites who gained the franchise following the abolition of the poll tax. Hubert Humphrey generally prevailed in the Black Belt due to newly enfranchised black voters-an effect due to the Voting Rights Act. Kevin Philips in The Emerging Republican Majority provides a pretty solid explanation of the support Wallace found among poorer, upcountry whites.

It seems that Republicans did well in SC areas that voted Thurmond when there was no Dixiecrat option on the ballot (1952, 1960).  I'd speculate that this is backlash to Dem policies on civil rights and not a true party switchover like we saw in 1964 and 1972.  In 1968, Wallace beat Nixon in several of the Johnson won counties, and it would make sense that the majority of Dixiecrats would support a segregationist over a national Republican.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 07:41:21 AM »

South Carolina results:

It seems that Republicans did well in SC areas that voted Thurmond when there was no Dixiecrat option on the ballot (1952, 1960).  I'd speculate that this is backlash to Dem policies on civil rights and not a true party switchover like we saw in 1964 and 1972.  In 1968, Wallace beat Nixon in several of the Johnson won counties, and it would make sense that the majority of Dixiecrats would support a segregationist over a national Republican.

The Johnson counties where Wallace prevailed had been among Strom Thurmond's weakest counties in 1948, and they were precisely the counties where the upcountry, poorer whites, who were loyal to the New Deal and the Great Society, and took longer to break away from the national Democratic Party, were concentrated. The two counties Harry Truman won in South Carolina against Thurmond (Anderson and Spartanburg) are both upcountry counties. In 1964, both went for Lyndon Johnson-who also won most of the other Upcountry Counties where Thurmond had garnered the weakest majorities. In 1968, the two Truman-Johnson counties split: Nixon won Spartanburg County with a plurality (with Wallace placing ahead of Hubert Humphrey), while Wallace won Anderson County by nearly 30% (and with a majority). This provides further credence to Philips' claims that Wallace took the votes of those upcountry whites who had stuck with Truman and Johnson, and had been the most reluctant supporters of Thurmond's segregationist candidacy.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 07:44:21 AM »

South Carolina results:

The Johnson counties where Wallace prevailed had been among Strom Thurmond's weakest counties in 1948, and they were precisely the counties where the upcountry, poorer whites, who were loyal to the New Deal and the Great Society, and took longer to break away from the national Democratic Party, were concentrated. The two counties Harry Truman won in South Carolina against Thurmond (Anderson and Spartanburg) are both upcountry counties. In 1964, both went for Lyndon Johnson-who also won most of the other Upcountry Counties where Thurmond had garnered the weakest majorities. In 1968, the two Truman-Johnson counties split: Nixon won Spartanburg County with a plurality (with Wallace placing ahead of Hubert Humphrey), while Wallace won Anderson County by nearly 30% (and with a majority). This provides further credence to Philips' claims that Wallace took the votes of those upcountry whites who had stuck with Truman and Johnson, and had been the most reluctant supporters of Thurmond's segregationist candidacy.

Interesting stuff.  I'll need to snag a copy of that book. Strange how other southern states gave much stronger support to Wallace. I guess Thurmond had a home state advantage...a
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies