Will we see more candidates launch campaigns late in the race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:44:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will we see more candidates launch campaigns late in the race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will we see more candidates launch campaigns late in the race in future presidential elections?
Yes

Yes, but only extremely wealthy candidates will enter late

No, Bloomberg's success is a one-time thing

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Will we see more candidates launch campaigns late in the race?  (Read 293 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »

With Bloomberg looking like a real threat to win the nomination, I'm wondering if we'll see more candidates entering into the race fairly close the primaries. There are some obvious counter-arguments here (Deval Patrick entered late and failed, most candidates don't have anywhere near Bloomberg's wealth) but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts. One thing that I think is potentially helpful about entering late is that you get to avoid the media spotlight and attacks from other candidates until later in the race.
Cassandra
Situationist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »

This strategy is only possible for candidates who can drop over a billion dollars on their campaign without impacting their net worth. A quick look at the forbes rich list suggests there are maybe about one hundred people who could do that. If Zuck, or Gates, or Bezos decide they want to run for president, they might well do this. But if that seems unlikely to you then this would be a one-off event.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies