Ukraine general discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:20:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine general discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ukraine general discussion  (Read 11432 times)
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:30 AM »

The Land Market Bill
It will be approved shortly. I am against the land market in general, but if there is no way out there should be another bill. This bill has many flaws, and any amendments created by the opposition aimed at improvement are rejected by the Servant of the People. Agrarians protest under the Verkhovna Rada, write numerous petitions to Zelensky, but he stands on his own. Polls show that 65-75% of Ukrainian citizens are categorically against the land market, while 20-25% support, others are undecided. Unless rigid antitrust measures are taken (very likely), all agricultural land will be divided among several oligarchs, Ukrainians and foreigners, including.

Things are somewhat more complicated with this bill. It is very unpopular with population, but land market is popular between liberals - and government is full of those, and it was one of IMF's demands. So proposed bill was twisted by "Servant of the People" - now it still would prohibit foreign land ownershipping and buying more than 50 000 hectares by one person. First point may angered IMF.

Overall I would say situation hasn't changed much since 2018-2019. Economy is still in bad shape, but not on 2015-2016 level. Party ratings are pretty stable after 2019 parliamentarian election, Zelenskiy is still hugely popular (but ratings of other "Servant of the People" politicians have worsened significantly).  In the end Zelenskiy will lose his popularity, but I'm curious to whom? Vakarchuk and his party isn't very popular outside from western part of country and it seems like Slava himself isn't that much into politics. Poroshenko still is the most unpopular man in the country, but he has core of loyal supporters and some friendly press. Timoshenko and Pro-russian camp are trying to play economic populist cards, but their ceilings are probably pretty low, maybe 20% for Yulia and 30% for former Regionals?

kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:25:04 AM »

Poroshenko remains the most unpopular politician in Ukraine, as kelestian mentioned. Theoretically, he has a great chance of returning to his old position. If for the next 4 years, there is no reasonable, young alternative to pro-European, liberal conservative Poroshenko, then I think he will go through to the 2nd round in 2024. I am convinced that Zelensky does not keep his promise and will run for re-election in 2024. Therefore, if the two above conditions (there is no alternative to Poroshenko, Zelensky is running for office again), then Poroshenko will defeat Zelensky. West and Center will vote for Poroshenko and East and South for Zelensky

I can see Zelensky not running for reelection in 2024. His ratings at that time probably would be not greater than Poroshenko's last year, so he would understand imminent defeat. In fact, Poroshenko should have not ran himself in 2019, he had no path to victory.

As to Poroshenko's perspective in 2024, he wouldn't win. BUT if he can defeat his enormous ego, he should support someone fresh from his camp. Like, Irina Gerashenko
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 05:32:27 AM »

I do not blame you in any way. I fully understand and acknowledge that Crimea is unlikely to return to Ukrainian control for at least the next 50 years

Are there any talks in progress or ceasefires? It's unlikely they'll manage to secede, so I'm more interested if there are any semi-autonomous province options on the table etc.

There is some muse about potential small success in talks, because of new man in charge of Ukrainian politics in Russia (Kozak) and main Ukrainian negotiator's (Yermak) flexibility. However, opposing sides are too different to agree on something big anyway, so the most we can expect is more prisoners exchange and a stable ceasefire.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »

On the bright side, still better than Belorussian reaction to the pandemic
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »

On the bright side, still better than Belorussian reaction to the pandemic

Tell us more......

Lukashenko is kinda coronavirus denialist
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/16/belarussian-leader-proposes-tractor-therapy-for-coronavirus-a69644
and has arrested journalist who critisized government response
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 01:52:05 AM »

Ukrainian lawmaker Valerii Davydenko found shot dead in his office

What’s the initial conspiracy theory on this? A former official in the pre-Maidan government turned Poroshenko supporter turned independent has got to wrack up a sizable amount of enemies and drama, especially someone corrupt.

This hasn't generated much buzz, he was low-level not well-known MP, not from major parties. Probably killed because of bussiness conflicts
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 05:34:50 PM »

Doubt about Poroshenko's future. He is still the most unpopular politician in the Country, sure, he has like 10-15% of hard supporters, but that's not enough for glorious return.

Also there are a lot of opened cases against him, though i've heard some of them were close recently. Some of them about corruption, one about his appointment of Russian citizen as Deputy Head of Foreign Intelligence, etc.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »

Doubt about Poroshenko's future. He is still the most unpopular politician in the Country, sure, he has like 10-15% of hard supporters, but that's not enough for glorious return.

Also there are a lot of opened cases against him, though i've heard some of them were close recently. Some of them about corruption, one about his appointment of Russian citizen as Deputy Head of Foreign Intelligence, etc.
I can't  post any links, but rn his approval is 18% and climbing up. I think he will reach 30% by next year's  summer, and 30% means that he would be certainly electable. Atleast he will manage to go into 2nd  round. Currently, there alot of people being disillusioned by Ze. Each day this number will grow.

Most of the cases opened aganist him  is a blatant fraud. Even Ze's  appointed judges refuse to work with those cases often.

P.S. Я уверен, что если в следующем  году будут внеочередные, и во второй тур выйдут Порох и Бойко, то Порох сможет повторить Гровера  Кливленда.

Но с тем, что происходит в мире, до этого надо еще дожить как-то, хе-хе.....

18% is not much. Wasn't his approval rating around the same before 2019 election?

Yeah, in some time Zelensky will be as unpopular as Poroshenko during his presidency. But no way Petr will be his main opponent, people still remember his term, i predict another centrist-populist will emerge and crush Zelensky
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 03:38:12 AM by kelestian »

Uh, come on, guys. Zelensky is awful president, but Poroshenko wasn't Lee Kuan Yew either, just another corrupt east european politician. And he has TV support before 2019 election as well: "1+1" was pro-Zelensky, but Fifth Channel and Pryamoi were very pro-Poroshenko. Pinchuk's and Achmetov's channels were neutral.

New SMC polling research, by the way.
https://smc.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2020-06-22-PR.pdf

For the first time in my memory Zelensky has negative approval ratings
Approve/Disapprove
41.3/50.2%

Voting intentions
SOTP 30.5%
Opposition Party "For Life" 18.6%
European Solidarity 12%
Fatherland 9.7%
Others less than 5%.

European Solidarity (party of Poroshenko) now leads in West Ukraine, OP (pro-russian) leads in Donbass and is near-second with SOTP in East and South. SOTP with comfortable lead in Central Ukraine, European Solidarity, OP, and Fatherland all around 10%
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:01:34 AM »

The Rada passed a law that residents of the LPR / DPR will be able to enter higher education institutions in Ukraine without passing exams without queuing and study at public expense. I absolutely do not support this decision. Now children who hate Ukraine, who trampled on the Ukrainian flag and kicked patriots, following the example of their parents, who have a DNR passport and probably Russia, who may have fought against Ukraine (there is a recent example), have more rights than children of soldiers ATO/JFO than children who are true patriots. Now children from LDNR and Crimea, who would not pass the exams at all, will go to university at public expense, and children - winners of the All-Ukrainian Olympiads must study at their own expense, because their place was taken by first. Thank you to "EU" and "Voice" for voting against! All others voted for.

Children of soldiers have privileges during universities admission. As for this measure - i think great move from government. Demographic situation in Ukraine is terrible, and Country needs young people from LDNR.

Uh, come on, guys. Zelensky is awful president, but Poroshenko wasn't Lee Kuan Yew either, just another corrupt east european politician. And he has TV support before 2019 election as well: "1+1" was pro-Zelensky, but Fifth Channel and Pryamoi were very pro-Poroshenko. Pinchuk's and Achmetov's channels were neutral.

New SMC polling research, by the way.
https://smc.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2020-06-22-PR.pdf

For the first time in my memory Zelensky has negative approval ratings
Approve/Disapprove
41.3/50.2%

Voting intentions
SOTP 30.5%
Opposition Party "For Life" 18.6%
European Solidarity 12%
Fatherland 9.7%
Others less than 5%.

European Solidarity (party of Poroshenko) now leads in West Ukraine, OP (pro-russian) leads in Donbass and is near-second with SOTP in East and South. SOTP with comfortable lead in Central Ukraine, European Solidarity, OP, and Fatherland all around 10%

Imagine saying that Poroshenko is corrupt, while his net worth shrank  by 40% comparing to 2014. Guy literally gave away millions to Army, for example, buying AA defense assets  around Kyiv in 2014.

Not sure about this AA defense story, all the details so far came only from Poroshenko's camp. Need some collaboration of the story.

But if we are talking about military, just two obvious examples of Poroshenko's corruption.

1) Gurza-class boats
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurza-class_boat
Ineffectual project, ships are completely useless - even for this class. But still were built in mass... at Poroshenko's shipyard Leninska Kuznya. At the same time US gave Ukraine perfect ships of the same class ("Island" boats), but Ukraine haven't taken it up until Zelensky and was making Gurzas.

2) Ambulance "Bogdan-2251"
https://uk.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD-2251
Basicallt, bad clone of chinese car made on Poroshenko's "Bogdan" factory. But problem is bigger.
Ukrainian Military desperately needed ATV ambulances, but surprise-surprise, MoD bought 100+ Bogdans instead, which are not ATV at all, are badly planned for military ambulance and of poor quality.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2020, 12:49:31 PM by kelestian »

Children of soldiers have privileges during universities admission. As for this measure - i think great move from government. Demographic situation in Ukraine is terrible, and Country needs young people from LDNR.
Why does Ukraine need people from the LDPR who hate Ukraine and all Ukrainian, who want this state not to exist? People who are patriots have long ago left these territories, so it is not necessarily to talk about the patriots of Ukraine in LDPR

And about Poroshenko's corruption. He was corrupt, but he wasn't as corrupt as Zelensky and Tymoshenko. And Poroshenko is, easily, the least corrupt politician in Ukraine

Young people from LDNR who want to study in Ukraine aren't anti-ukrainian (bar russian Intelligence agents). They want to build their future in this country. And no, not all people who stayed in Donetsk are separatists, you know, its difficult to left everything behind and move to Kiyv/Lviv. I know stories when people left Donbass in 2014 but returned later, simply because they can't afford house/find work in other regions.

Anyway, we are 3 monthes from local elections. I looked out for  some polls.

Kyiv: polls are all over the place, but it looks like incumbent Klichko has good chances to win in mayoral election. Before the end of July we will know who will be SOTP's candidate, this person will probably be main opponent of Klichko. Also there is bussinessman Palchevsky, but i have feeling polls with him as main opponent of incumbent are completely made up.

Lviv: looks like incumbent mayor Sadovy will win. European Solidarity (Poroshenko) is strong here, but on personal level their candidate Sinyutka (former governor) is kinda weak.

Kharkiv: nothing to see here, incumbent Kernes is unbeatable. As for the city council, there is three way race between SOTP, Kernes party and Opposition Party For Life.

Dnipro: best city for SOTP in the whole country? Looks like SOTP candidate, MP Buzhanskiy, is winning in the second tour against incumbent Filatov. Filatov was Kolomoiskiy's man, but now he cut his connections to former boss. Buzhanskiy IS Kolomoiskiy's man.

Odessa: nothing to see. Current mayor Trukhanov will be reelected. As for the city council, three way race between SOTP, OPFL, Trukhanov's party.

Nikolaev: three way race between incumbent Senkevich, OPFL candidate Buryak and Ihor Dmitriev (former Opposition Block, now don't know). In second round, Senkevich loses to both. City Council: two-way race between SOTP and OPFL.

Kherson: former mayor Saldo (2002-2012) leads by far. City council: three-way race between SOTP, OPFL, Saldo's party.

Overall, I'm surprised by incredibly weak SOTP's branch in mayoral races. They still leads in party polls in most regions, but struggling to recruit strong candidates.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 04:00:29 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/21/hostage-siege-ends-after-ukrainian-president-endorses-joaquin-phoenix-film

A gunman in Ukraine armed with an automatic rifle and grenades has surrendered to police and released 13 hostages after the country’s president consented to his demand to recommend the 2005 film Earthlings starring Joaquin Phoenix.

The niche film recommendation, delivered by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy over Facebook, helped end an hours-long standoff in the western Ukrainian city of Lutsk, where 44-year-old Maksym Kryvosh seized a bus and demanded that dozens of government officials admit to being “terrorists”.

During the hostage crisis, which began on Tuesday morning, Kryvosh opened fire and threw a grenade at a police drone. The reports of automatic gunfire sent some journalists at the scene diving for cover. No one was seriously injured during the standoff. A bullet was reported to have nearly struck the national chief of police.

I guess this is more proof President Zelenskiy is an idiot?

Why? As far as i can say, people loved this move from Zelensky, even in Russia. Probably will cause spike in aprrovement ratings.

Meanwhile, the Verkhovna Rada passed a bill that violates the association with the EU. Also, the pro-Russian part of SOTP and OPFL want to pass the so-called "Buzhansky's bill", which will actually make Ukraine Russian-speaking.

Not true about "Buzhansky's Bill". It just slightly changes higly controversial 2019 Language Bill with accordance to recommendations from Venetian Commission. Mainly it's just delays abolishment of russian-language schools until 2023 (as for other ethnic minority-languages schools). Though I have impression it wouldn't pass/would't been considered. Oh well, there goes SOTP's perspectives of winning regional elections in South-East.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »

Meanwhile, the Verkhovna Rada passed a bill that violates the association with the EU. Also, the pro-Russian part of SOTP and OPFL want to pass the so-called "Buzhansky's bill", which will actually make Ukraine Russian-speaking.

Not true about "Buzhansky's Bill". It just slightly changes higly controversial 2019 Language Bill with accordance to recommendations from Venetian Commission. Mainly it's just delays abolishment of russian-language schools until 2023 (as for other ethnic minority-languages schools). Though I have impression it wouldn't pass/would't been considered. Oh well, there goes SOTP's perspectives of winning regional elections in South-East.

Yes, but teaching in schools in Russian provokes Russian-speaking Ukraine in the future. This will enable Russia to continue to "protect Russian-speakers." Posters "Putin, help" ("Путин, помоги!") will appear later. And, in my opinion, deputies in the Verkhovna Rada should speak exclusively in the state language, that is Ukrainian, instead of Russian as Buzhansky does. And I fully support 2019 Language Bill, I, like many experts, do not find any discrimination in it

There are about 150 russian-speaking schools in Ukraine, about 1% of total number, so it doesn't provoke anything. And of course ukrainians chose european values in 2014, which includes respect minority rights, such as linguistic.
Posters wouldn't appear if there would be no discrimination. Personally i think it would be good to have Russian as second state-language, it would close linguistic question.

As for 2019 Language Bill, it was critisized basically by everyone except ukrainian nationalists. See, Venetian Commission:
https://www.dw.com/ru/%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%8F-%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%83-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD-%D0%BE%D0%B1-%D1%83%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC-%D1%8F%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%BA%D0%B5/a-51567161
UN:
https://news.un.org/ru/story/2019/07/1359441
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »

Yes, but teaching in schools in Russian provokes Russian-speaking Ukraine in the future. This will enable Russia to continue to "protect Russian-speakers." Posters "Putin, help" ("Путин, помоги!") will appear later. And, in my opinion, deputies in the Verkhovna Rada should speak exclusively in the state language, that is Ukrainian, instead of Russian as Buzhansky does. And I fully support 2019 Language Bill, I, like many experts, do not find any discrimination in it

There are about 150 russian-speaking schools in Ukraine, about 1% of total number, so it doesn't provoke anything. And of course ukrainians chose european values in 2014, which includes respect minority rights, such as linguistic.
Posters wouldn't appear if there would be no discrimination. Personally i think it would be good to have Russian as second state-language, it would close linguistic question.

As for 2019 Language Bill, it was critisized basically by everyone except ukrainian nationalists. See, Venetian Commission:
https://www.dw.com/ru/%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%8F-%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%83-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD-%D0%BE%D0%B1-%D1%83%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC-%D1%8F%D0%B7%D1%8B%D0%BA%D0%B5/a-51567161
UN:

You see, the problem is not in Russian-language schools. The problem is in Russian-speaking pro-Russian society, which is a consequence of the existence of these schools.

By the way, it is not necessary for the school to have the status of Russian-language teaching. At my nephew's, who goes to a Ukrainian school in western Ukraine, some elderly teachers teach Russian and teach students how good it was to live in the USSR. This is in western Ukraine. In the east, most are exactly the same. Ukrainian-language schools are so only in the name, but in fact they teach in Russian

I would not see any problem in the bilingualism of society if:

a) it was full equality, not as I often heard in Odessa a few years ago "Please speak Russian, because I do not understand you"

b) there was no such neighbor as Russia, which at any time is ready to come to save Russian-speakers from the fascists invented by it.

Point. And don't try to prove to me how useful it is to have a bilingual society and Russian as a second state language. At least not for the next 100 years

Don't understand your argument against bilingualism. Again, this is attack on minorities rights. And i think Donbass will never return if there would't be some form of compromise in linguistic and historic questions, perhaps returning of Kivalov language law?
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 07:35:36 AM »

In recent news: another violent attack of Azov movement Neo-nazis, this time they attacked OPFL activists.
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4468390
Strong words of condemnation from Zelensky, but as always he probably would't do anything.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 02:46:59 PM »

UN:

You see, the problem is not in Russian-language schools. The problem is in Russian-speaking pro-Russian society, which is a consequence of the existence of these schools.

By the way, it is not necessary for the school to have the status of Russian-language teaching. At my nephew's, who goes to a Ukrainian school in western Ukraine, some elderly teachers teach Russian and teach students how good it was to live in the USSR. This is in western Ukraine. In the east, most are exactly the same. Ukrainian-language schools are so only in the name, but in fact they teach in Russian

I would not see any problem in the bilingualism of society if:

a) it was full equality, not as I often heard in Odessa a few years ago "Please speak Russian, because I do not understand you"

b) there was no such neighbor as Russia, which at any time is ready to come to save Russian-speakers from the fascists invented by it.

Point. And don't try to prove to me how useful it is to have a bilingual society and Russian as a second state language. At least not for the next 100 years

Don't understand your argument against bilingualism. Again, this is attack on minorities rights. And i think Donbass will never return if there would't be some form of compromise in linguistic and historic questions, perhaps returning of Kivalov language law?

If Russian is introduced as the state language or the Kolesnichenko-Kivalov law is returned, Ukraine will be totally Russified. The issue of language itself was the main reason for the annexation of Crimea and the occupation of Donbass. There should be only one state language in Ukraine!

And what historical compromises about Donbass are you talking about? This is historically a Ukrainian-speaking land, but, unfortunately, the Ukrainian-speaking population was killed during the genocide of 1932-1933.

Well, i wish your views (and Poroshenko's) would not be shared by majority of Ukrainians. Or there will be more conflicts and tensions.
As for historic compromise: abolishment of decommunisation laws. Let East Ukraine and West Ukraine honoured whoever people are liked in those regions. Or probably there coul be created a list of unifiing historic figures.
Like, even you should be against what happened with Vatutin street in Kyiv under "decommunization".
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »

In recent news: another violent attack of Azov movement Neo-nazis, this time they attacked OPFL activists.
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4468390
Strong words of condemnation from Zelensky, but as always he probably would't do anything.
The Azov Battalion is not a neo-Nazi. There is no evidence that they attacked the bus. I'm not at all surprised that it was an internal party provocation by the OPLF to spread rumors about "Bandera", "fascists" and "crucified children on the streets" again.

Yes, it is neo-nazis batallion, almost all of our (Russian) active Neo-nazis went to fight in it in 2014. Like, they don't even hide that Azov is international neo-nazi organization.

As for attack, several Azov-linked people were arrested, car of local Azov's head was used and this is just another one, Azov previosly attacked OPFL/Shariy activists on numerous occasions.
https://strana.ua/news/286577-rasstrel-avtobusa-pod-kharkovom-rekonstruktsija-sobytij.html
I know "Strana.ua" is biased, but this report of events is pretty good.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies